Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Higher Rates in 2011 (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/41050-higher-rates-2011-a.html)

Mackman 03-15-2011 03:36 PM

Higher Rates in 2011

Trucking rates forecast to roll higher - USATODAY.com

So what does everyone think??

tracer 03-15-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackman (Post 495451)

Yep, they are definitely going higher. I just missed a stepdeck load paying $1.38 per mile GROSS from Alberta Canada to Michigan, USA. 1,880 miles; machinery; 33,000 lbs. Just my luck!

Maniac 03-15-2011 09:05 PM

I expect the rates to go much higher as the demand for drivers goes way up, due to all the regulations and hours changes they are trying to implement.

However don't expect to see much of it, the companies will hold down the driver/owner pay as low as they can, as they always have.

With the advent of EOBRS and the hours changes they will pretty much FORCE any independents out, therefore eliminating the competition from under bidding the large fleets.

Whatever the driver/owner can salvage from the increase rates will go in the fuel tank, or into the cost of a compliant truck

There will be NOTHING to entice ANYONE into a career in trucking once all the regulations are in place, other than $$$$, and if history shows anything, ( I've been in trucking since 73) the trucking industry has NEVER EVER addressed the issue of pay, they THINK we are over paid now.............LOL

To give an example, I have an old road atlas here with a JB Hunt add in it from 1982, and it says top pay 28 CPM..........how much more is it today, some 30 years later?

asdfghjkl 03-15-2011 10:25 PM

How will EOBR force independents out of business?

asdfghjkl 03-15-2011 10:33 PM

I believe rates are result of supply and demand forces in the market. They are not dictated by large carriers or even brokers. We should all hope nobody wants a career in trucking. CAN YOU SAY NAME YOUR PRICE?

Maniac 03-15-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdfghjkl (Post 495466)
I believe rates are result of supply and demand forces in the market. They are not dictated by large carriers or even brokers. We should all hope nobody wants a career in trucking. CAN YOU SAY NAME YOUR PRICE?

Supply and demand WILL definitly drive up the rates, like I said, there will be a real driver shortage this time, especially when the new heath rules come into play, If you think CSA will thin the herd, the health rules will REALLY thin out the field, AND make it harder to get in a truck.

Name your price?....LOL.....Been hearing that for years, (since 73 actually)..........you are dreaming if you think that you will ever be able to do that, especially with only a few large carriers holding the cards

As far as forcing indies out of buisness, I should have said most will voluntarily shut down because they don't agree with the rules, or don't want to play the game

MichiganDriver 03-16-2011 12:15 AM

I read an article that I thought was interesting around the beginning of the recession. They broke jobs that paid pretty well into 5 categories or requirements. 1 was special skills or abilities like a star athlete, another was special training like a doctor and so on. Category 5 was jobs that noone in their right mind wants. They didn't mention trucking but that's what I was thinking. Who in their right mind would want to live part of their lives in a truck with all the hours of boredom while destroying their bodies and putting up with tremendous risk should they be in an accident?

I just hope I'm not overestimating people. :)

MichiganDriver 03-16-2011 02:01 AM

One thing I'm wondering about and maybe I'm missing something is why does everyone seem to think eobrs are going to be bad for o/os? Won't they help with supply and demand by helping to keep people from trying to become o/os? According to this thread the price doesn't seem very high:

http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/o...oing-eobr.html

Of course there's the issue of not being able to drive as many hours with new hos rules and eobrs to enforce them. But again, if that helps to keep the new blood out it might put upward pressure on prices.

tracer 03-16-2011 03:39 AM

According to a recent article in the Canadian media, Canadian exports of lumber and construction materials might jump through the roof as Japan is starting to rebuild its economy after the earthquake and tsunamis. I think flatbed truckers will benefit too and rates might go up.

rank 03-16-2011 03:46 AM

I thinking the heavy equipment coming out of the ports might dry up because most of this stuff is made in Japan and it won't be getting to our shores.