Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   That's it! I'm getting a flat... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/41031-thats-im-getting-flat.html)

Steel Horse Cowboy 03-09-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagerbomber3.0 (Post 495070)
Am i just completely clueless and off base when i ask why would you have to go broke and mortgage your home every april at tax time to pay the taxes? Shouldnt you be anticipating the cost of your taxes throughout the year and stashing some back into your savings or business account to cover this every year if you do end up having to pay? Im not an owner yet but I kind of just figured you would need to set aside money for taxes every settlement just like you would for maintenance or anything else involved in the cost of operation? Am i wrong or just missing something?

I put $500 each week into my savings. I use ATBS for my accounting and pay their estimated quarterly taxes, which is about $2500, then once my final return is completed, I pay that. This year I paid $7800 so far, and going to owe $0

So now I get to decide what I want to spend the $12k I still have in my savings. Most likely gonna just keep it un there tho just in case the new rig takes a crap.

Tracer on the other hand has himself so far under, he want able to save any $ and sometimes doesn't even get a check. I know he struggles to buy fuel too, but if this deal makes him money and starts him on a up swing then I say good for him. It honestly can't get any worse. At least he is trying to get it all taken care of to get him out of the hole he's dug.

Maniac 03-09-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Am i just completely clueless and off base when i ask why would you have to go broke and mortgage your home every april at tax time to pay the taxes? Shouldnt you be anticipating the cost of your taxes throughout the year and stashing some back into your savings or business account to cover this every year if you do end up having to pay? Im not an owner yet but I kind of just figured you would need to set aside money for taxes every settlement just like you would for maintenance or anything else involved in the cost of operation? Am i wrong or just missing something?

No your not missing anything

Quote:

but if this deal makes him money and starts him on a up swing then I say good for him. It honestly can't get any worse. At least he is trying to get it all taken care of to get him out of the hole he's dug.

Not likely.

Quote:

I know what I'm doing

No, you don't, basically you can't afford the car and the apartment, thats because you are not paying yourself, read ANYTHING on small buisness and it says ALWAYS pay yourself.

You can't pay yourself because you make bad decisions, you would be better off in a company ride, probably make more too

MichiganDriver 03-09-2011 11:24 PM

Hey Tracer. You're an inspiration to guys like me. Thank you!

Mackman 03-09-2011 11:40 PM

Only thing i think he needs to do is keep with 1 type of trailer and stay with it. Seems like everytime you see a couple loads bring in a couple more dollars your ready to up and sell your trailer. If you buy a high flat then stick with it for a couple years.

Your losing your ass money wise. Buying and selling all the time.

tracer 03-09-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crb (Post 495073)
What happened to hauling equipment?

Those loads are like 1 in 10. The rest is basic flat or step. OR: DD stuff that is either 12 ft high or over 50,000 lbs.

tracer 03-10-2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 495085)
...you would be better off in a company ride, probably make more too...

If I followed advice from maniacs, I'd be in a worse position that the one I'm in now. I guarantee it.

Maniac 03-10-2011 01:00 AM

Quote:

If I followed advice from maniacs, I'd be in a worse position that the one I'm in now. I guarantee it.

Solo, talk to him in Russian, I'm not getting thru

GMAN 03-10-2011 01:13 AM

It seems to me that you are really upside down on your equipment, Tracer. If I were you, I would sit down and decide what I really want to do. You have a good trailer that is working for you. Every time you trade you are losing money. And contrary to what you may believe, just because a trailer is used doesn't necessarily mean that it is "junk." There are some good buys on used equipment around. You can save a lot of money buying used. And you will get more of your money back should things not work out for you and you decide to sell it.

There are better ways to pay less taxes than buying equipment. I have had friends who would try to justify buying a new piece of equipment because of taxes. You could either find some investments which would grow and save taxes or you could take some time off and enjoy life rather than work to make payments. You haven't really had your equipment long enough to really see the potential. The less debt the better. You don't make money by accumulating more debt.

Mackman 03-10-2011 01:27 AM

I dont think he is upside down on his equipment. I mean after all his truck is paid off. More then i can say lol.

Mackman 03-10-2011 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 495091)
Solo, talk to him in Russian, I'm not getting thru

I dont think no one will get thur to him.

Hey tracer what ever you do keep updating your blog. I read that thing all the time. BTW no one will buy them railroad ties for firewood.