Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Spec'ing a DOubledrOP trailer (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/40857-specing-doubledrop-trailer.html)

tracer 02-02-2011 04:37 PM

Well, it's been an interesting discussion and I thank people that contributed their views and ideas on RGN trailers. Too bad I can't use any of the advice :) I called our Heavy Haul Dept and they said I have to wait till August 2012 to switch to an RGN because I have never pulled one. However they said I can still pull oversize and heavy loads on a TRIDEM stepdeck.

Walking Eagle 02-02-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy Duty (Post 492969)
Kingpin law excludes 48 ft trailers. Even in California(STAA routes). The kinpin laws started after 53 footers became the standard. With the flip down and the axle lifted you are in violation because they consider it a 53 ft trailer. Most customers are good about helping with the flip if not you can use a wrecker, or buy one of these

Globe Hydraulic Flip Axle

All you need is a couple of load chains and your tractor. Sit trailer on the grownd, pull pins, run the chains well forward and pull it over.

tracer 02-18-2011 11:55 PM

Well, Heavy Duty gave me his phone number and we talked (thanks for all the tips!). Based on what I learned, I emailed the agent I've been doing double drop equipment loads on my step. I asked him if he'd mind putting in a word for at LS or maybe give me a reference. To my surprise, he said 'yes'. So, I called the Heavy Haul Dept, they asked who the agent was and said I could get an RGN! For now I"m limited to 10 ft wide and legal height loads (12 ft with a 18" deck) but I"m quite happy with that for now. I know I"ll be limited in terms of loads but I want to try getting a 48 ft used detach with a 29'-30' well. I just missed another equipment load because it was a scissor lift 10'8" high: when I asked the agent if I can deflate the tires, he said, "the tires have FOAM in them!" The load was posted as "DD".

I have yet to talk to my financial company about the trade-in. They might draw a line at me getting a cheaper used trailer because I owe them more than what my step is worth on the market right now. They might say, "Get a brand new trailer!"

What I want:

- 48 ft long
- 18" high deck
- 30" well
- full size decks in the front and reaf
- outriggers
- d-rings & in-floor tie-downs
- mechanical detach
- tandem with a third axle flip option
- as light as possible
- 35 ton gross rating

rank 02-19-2011 02:34 AM

Ertnyre are pretty light from what I recall. Most 48' tandems are 29' in the well.

There is a 2008 XL Specialized in the Canadian Truck Paper. Just saw it yesterday. No price tho. Ya gotta call.

tracer 02-19-2011 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rank (Post 493917)
Ertnyre are pretty light from what I recall.

I found their web site but they have no pictures of a detach with full decks in the front and rear. GlasVangreatdane.com offers them in ON. Is there any particular BRAND of a RGN that is considered one of the best? I heard some good stories about Rogers trailers and XL Specialized trailers are everywhere ... There's quite a few small manufacturers around Toronto, ON that build custom trailers including DD and RGN. Here's one of them, Float King Trailer. Can one trust such small manufacturers to make a quality trailer?