Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Why did Cat leave the business? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/39259-why-did-cat-leave-business.html)

GMAN 12-29-2009 11:56 PM

Service is a primary reason that I don't want any of the brand specific engines. I don't want to have to go to a dealer every time that I have a problem. Most dealers charge a premium for their labor rate and some charge a higher rate for parts than I can get from a independent shop. It will take time before parts will be widely available on these brand specific engines and they may limit access to them by outside shops.

Dejanh 12-30-2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 471353)
I have certainly got my money's worth from my CAT. Even with the higher cost for parts I think that I have come out cheaper than I would had I bought a Detroit or Cummins. If the engine laid down and died tomorrow I have gotten my money out of it. Hopefully, it will still last a while.

Now imagine what should I feel like as my Detroit also has gotten me in the same situation. I fail to see reasoning behind the decisions of many who choose to buy CAT over all others even though they are cheaper and just as good....

allan5oh 12-30-2009 01:13 AM

I think we will see further changes well into 2010. I see navistars market share shrinking considerably, to the point that they may offer cummins ISX engines again.

GMAN 12-30-2009 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dejanh (Post 471367)
Now imagine what should I feel like as my Detroit also has gotten me in the same situation. I fail to see reasoning behind the decisions of many who choose to buy CAT over all others even though they are cheaper and just as good....

I have basic things that I look for when buying a truck. I prefer a CAT, but if I found everything else that I wanted in the truck and could get the price that I wanted then I would buy the truck even if it had a Cummins or Detroit. I would not buy a truck simply because it didn't have a CAT, but I would expect to get a much better price without the CAT. In my situation, I have never gotten the level of service from Detroit that I have from CAT. I have put quite a few miles on a Cummins, but have never owned one. That doesn't necessarily mean the Detroit or Cummins are not good engines, but I think that CAT has done a better job of building their engines to last longer. I would not buy a brand specific engine such as Mercedes or Paccar. Most people with whom I have spoken who have owned CATS seem to have gotten better longevity than with Detroit or Cummins. As far as Detroit or Cummins being as good as CAT, I think that is debatable. I can only relate to my personal experience. And my personal experience has been better with CAT than the other two. I know a few owners who own Detroit and Cummins and feel just as strongly about their choices as I do mine.

GMAN 12-30-2009 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 471368)
I think we will see further changes well into 2010. I see navistars market share shrinking considerably, to the point that they may offer cummins ISX engines again.

You may be right. I met with some of their corporate people about a year or two ago and relayed that same sentiment. Navistar may have a good engine, but I don't like being totally dependent on the dealer for my service work. If it is being made by CAT then they would give me some confidence in the engine, but I would still have reservations. I think there are many owner operators who feel the same way. The big fleets may give them a try to see how they compare. I will sit back with a wait and see on purchasing one of them. I would be more likely to buy one with a Cummins. I don't know if I will ever buy any more trucks. I may just rebuild what I have when the time comes and drive it until it dies or I do.

solo379 12-30-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 471378)
I may just rebuild what I have when the time comes and drive it until it dies or I do.

I've made the same choice! Hope i could retire tho, before i'll die. But with the economics forecast, it's questionable....

GMAN 12-30-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solo379 (Post 471417)
I've made the same choice! Hope i could retire tho, before i'll die. But with the economics forecast, it's questionable....

I know a number of people who won't be able to retire when they expected. I think quite a few plan on working much longer than they thought they would need to in order to keep their standard of living from changing too much.

RostyC 12-31-2009 11:58 AM

I can have my B model CAT inframed for 7,000.00. That's parts and labor.
If I could do it myself, which I probably will (under my mechanics supervision) the parts are around 1600.00, last time I looked.

GMAN 12-31-2009 12:11 PM

That is quite a bit less than it costs on my 3406E. I checked parts a year or so ago and I believe the parts were around $5,000. That is for everything. I am not sure why there would be so much difference in parts from a B and E model CAT. I think lower bearings cost about $800. I thought about rebuilding it just so I would not need to think about it, but decided that I could go for some time before having to rebuild the engine. As long as it keeps performing I see no need to do an over haul. To tell you the truth, I am interested to find out how many miles that I can actually get on it before having to rebuild it.

RostyC 12-31-2009 12:29 PM

3406E Rebuild kit. Is this comparable to what you got?

3406B rebuild kit.