Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Please notify carriers, shippers, brokers about scam (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/38768-please-notify-carriers-shippers-brokers-about-scam.html)

GMAN 10-01-2009 01:34 PM

So you are saying that you can pay a cheap rate and get quality carriers?

chris1 10-01-2009 01:54 PM

Cheap for one is acceptable to another. It's a personal definition.
I have seen no difference in service failure between low(in my opinion) and high rates. I do see more failure of O/O's on missed PU's than larger carriers. I attribute that to them pushing for time. Sometimes it works,other times it doesn't.

GMAN 10-02-2009 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris1 (Post 464085)
Cheap for one is acceptable to another. It's a personal definition.
I have seen no difference in service failure between low(in my opinion) and high rates. I do see more failure of O/O's on missed PU's than larger carriers. I attribute that to them pushing for time. Sometimes it works,other times it doesn't.

You are right about a cheap rate for one person may be acceptable for someone else. I am not sure what you mean by owner operators "pushing for time."

chris1 10-02-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 464131)
You are right about a cheap rate for one person may be acceptable for someone else. I am not sure what you mean by owner operators "pushing for time."

When they accept a load knowing that they won't be able to make the PU time.(accept a 1000 PU when they have a 0900 delivery that takes 2 hours to unload) Happens quite often on fridays.
Also after loading informing you that they don't have the hours to make delivery. Of course they inform you of this after they have left the shipper.

GMAN 10-02-2009 11:58 AM

I don't understand why someone would take a load if the knew up front that they would not be able to make the delivery or have enough hours to make it. I wonder if these people got tied up for an unreasonable time at the shipper? I would not think that it should be that prevalent or more so with owner operators or smaller carriers than larger ones.

chris1 10-02-2009 12:26 PM

Their only worry is to grab the load before someone else does and then expect the shipper to work within their timeframe.
Understand that it is the bad things that stick out,most do a very good job. There is always going to be those that don't.

GMAN 10-04-2009 01:10 PM

Do you run your own brokerage or work for someone else, chris1?

chris1 10-05-2009 10:39 AM

I have company trucks,O/O's leased on,brokerage and two 3PL's.

GMAN 10-05-2009 12:50 PM

That should be enough to keep you busy, chris1.:D

chris1 10-05-2009 12:59 PM

Try to hire competent people then you can just screw around.:)