Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Something went down!!! (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/38629-something-went-down.html)

RostyC 09-05-2009 11:47 AM

attaboy duly noted GMAN thank you.

I think next year I'll shop it around, I like the policy from Northland though. I think after two years with (hopefully) no claims I should see another significant drop. Then after that not much of a drop. What do you guys think?

I got to thinking last night, if I use trucker math my savings is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 to 1700?

Bandit102 09-05-2009 02:22 PM

Our insurance renews in September. Our agent always shops rates every year. Our company, Great Western has been returning some spectacular reduced rates this year according to our agent. Sure hope so! I don't know if I want to spend another $30,000 on insurance in this market. Thats for 4 trucks and trailers, General Commercial Liability at $1 million and $200,000 Cargo last year.

chris1 09-05-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit102 (Post 461191)
Our insurance renews in September. Our agent always shops rates every year. Our company, Great Western has been returning some spectacular reduced rates this year according to our agent. Sure hope so! I don't know if I want to spend another $30,000 on insurance in this market. Thats for 4 trucks and trailers, General Commercial Liability at $1 million and $200,000 Cargo last year.

I'll swap you a year for a month.

GMAN 09-07-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RostyC (Post 461179)
attaboy duly noted GMAN thank you.

I think next year I'll shop it around, I like the policy from Northland though. I think after two years with (hopefully) no claims I should see another significant drop. Then after that not much of a drop. What do you guys think?

I got to thinking last night, if I use trucker math my savings is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 to 1700?

Northland seems to come down each year for about 3 or 4 years. A friend of mine who runs his own authority had his rates reduced this year. Northland is rather strange in the way they do their rates. They will go up on rates if you have driver turnover whether there are tickets or claims or not. If you run your authority with a single truck and not drivers I think you should be able to get a discount. Insurance companies will use any excuse to go up on rates.

GMAN 09-07-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit102 (Post 461191)

Great West has always been high on quotes for me. I think it depends on where you base your business. $30,000 seems a little high for 4 trucks. Hopefully, you can find a better rate this year.

Mackman 09-07-2009 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RostyC (Post 461116)
My repairs this year were astronomical

It wouldnt be that way if you got that NEW truck you were looking at a while back :thumbsup:

heavyhaulerss 09-08-2009 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckyky00 (Post 461166)
I pay $120 a month for bobtail insurance..not sure if this is high or decent rate...never checked around just got the insurance through the company I'm leased onto...

I pay 70.00 a month

chris1 09-08-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 461466)
Northland is rather strange in the way they do their rates. They will go up on rates if you have driver turnover whether there are tickets or claims or not.

That's because drivers with less than a year at a new company have the highest accident rate.

RostyC 09-08-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackman (Post 461540)
It wouldnt be that way if you got that NEW truck you were looking at a while back :thumbsup:

Hey! Don't need no comments from the peanut gallery! :D

Troublemaker......... :lol:

GMAN 09-08-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris1 (Post 461583)
That's because drivers with less than a year at a new company have the highest accident rate.

I can understand if a driver has less than 1 year experience total. It doesn't make sense that a driver who has less than a year with a new company would have a higher accident rate just because he changed carriers. He is driving the same type of equipment and likely hauling the same type of freight. They never mentioned that a new driver with experience is more likely to have an accident just because he changed companies.