Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   67.7 per mile (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/38503-67-7-per-mile.html)

scrapmetal 08-18-2009 03:20 PM

You shoulda grabbed it.According to Kevin Rutherford

Orangetxguy 08-18-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicman (Post 459333)
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the rate go UP the harder it is to get a truck to take the load? You know, the old supply and demand thing? Increasing the rate makes the load more attractive? Like, I wont go to NYC for a $1 a mile, but will do it for $2.50 (or even $1.80 if it's over 2000 miles).

I might go PAST NYC, if the rate to the truck is $2.50 a mile. But...I won't deliver into NYC, for any amount.

Maniac 08-18-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

But...I won't deliver into NYC, for any amount.
Over here they fight over the caustic loads into NYC, must be the $800 for under 100 mile thing, plus you get that 32' trailer, which helps the manuverability thing.

Orangetxguy 08-18-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 459609)
Over here they fight over the caustic loads into NYC, must be the $800 for under 100 mile thing, plus you get that 32' trailer, which helps the manuverability thing.

Hmmmmm. I guess IF I lived up that way going into NYC would be logical...if such exists. But man..to intentionally deliver into NYC from down here??? :hellno: :hellno: :hellno: :hellno:

Maniac 08-19-2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 459617)
Hmmmmm. I guess IF I lived up that way going into NYC would be logical...if such exists. But man..to intentionally deliver into NYC from down here??? :hellno: :hellno: :hellno: :hellno:

Well being from here, it isn't really a big deal to me, not really any different than any other city I have been in.

Just gotta block out the nonsense and go I guess. I have done those caustic loads 5 or 6 in a row, BIG money, had to look into fuel tank, cause the gauge NEVER moved ! Of course I wouldn't want it steady, no one else does either, but there is always someone who will do it.

Musicman 08-20-2009 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 459701)
Well being from here, it isn't really a big deal to me, not really any different than any other city I have been in.

It is unique in that it’s the only major US city that you absolutely MUST pay massive tolls to get into, out and move around in. I learned to drive in Chicago, so traffic really doesn’t bother me. Neither do the tight docks and low clearances… it’s all just part of a normal day in this business IMO. But when you gotta dig into your pocket and pony up $200 just to get into and out of the city… THAT hurts, especially when I paid the Verrazano for the first time in a long time and found out they wanted $60… FOR ONE BRIDGE!!!!!

Musicman 08-20-2009 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 459596)
I might go PAST NYC, if the rate to the truck is $2.50 a mile. But...I won't deliver into NYC, for any amount.

I won’t do it regularly anymore… not in MY truck, but from 2002 – 2004 I did NYC LTL every week. It really wasn’t that bad in a company truck… if somebody hit me it wasn’t my truck and my loss and I didn't have to pay the tolls. These days we might do NYC once a year, and that’s enough for me to remember why I hate it so much and why I now live 120 miles from any city of size.

Orangetxguy 08-20-2009 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicman (Post 459758)
I won’t do it regularly anymore… not in MY truck, but from 2002 – 2004 I did NYC LTL every week. It really wasn’t that bad in a company truck… if somebody hit me it wasn’t my truck and my loss and I didn't have to pay the tolls. These days we might do NYC once a year, and that’s enough for me to remember why I hate it so much and why I now live 120 miles from any city of size.

When I go "past" NYC, I usually take 287 to the NYTollway...take that up to I-84...then I-84 into NEngland. I try really really hard not to go past WV.

BanditsCousin 08-20-2009 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicman (Post 459758)
I now live 120 miles from any city of size.

And that's why I lived 15 minutes from you for a number of years :)

Musicman 08-20-2009 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanditsCousin (Post 459783)
And that's why I lived 15 minutes from you for a number of years :)

No kiddin'? Where would that be?