Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   "Your wheelbase is too short" - a ticket in MI (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/36588-your-wheelbase-too-short-ticket-mi.html)

Jumbo 01-04-2009 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windwalker (Post 431807)
Well, now... This brings out a question from me...

In the State of Wisconsin, if you are stopped and do not have your driver's license on your person, or within arm's reach, you will be cited for driving without a license. So, if MI is holding your driver's license, what do you do if other states do not honor the paper that MI gives you?

It depends on how much of a dink they want to be. I have been stopped in Wi. in a CMV and didnt have CDL with me (lost wallet) and they just ran my name in computer, no problem. I make sure I have it with me now.

Sabine 01-04-2009 01:38 PM

of course it always depends on the cop, but the rules are clear, no CDL in possession is a major violation. Equal to passing a stopped school bus, or speeding for more than 15 miles over the posted speed.

Stupid, but it is the rules. So, if the cop wants to be a real Richard, than you could wind up with a major violation on your record.

tracer 01-07-2009 01:29 AM

Hurray! Got my license in the mail today. They mailed it from Lapeer County Court in Michigan on Dec-30th (after I paid the fine over the phone with my Visa). Got it today in Guelph, ON on Jan-06th. 2 stapler's holes on the right side ... but at least the magnetic stripe or the picture are not damaded. I think I'd spend a night in jail next time rather than leave my Ontario license in the hands of of a Michigan cop.

moth_bald 01-12-2009 11:06 AM

Forgive the ignorance, but isn't the issuing state the only one that can take your license? Technically, the license "belongs" to whatever state issued it. Or does the fact that it is a CDL make it open season? Just curious.

west_coaster 01-12-2009 12:22 PM

Seizure of your license in lieu of a bond? Never heard of that one, and I AM a cop. Holy crap. If I got jacked up in another state and they tried to "take" my Oregon license we'd have us a serious issue. The licenses here in my state belong to the DMV, and we simiply 'rent' them. Also, if I stop a driver and they don't produce an actual driver's license, they go to jail, period. It's called Failure to Carry and Present License, and it's a crime. So if they take your license you're pretty screwed. Seizure of license for bond, blows my mind. I think I'll avoid Michigan.

W.C.

tracer 01-12-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west_coaster (Post 433760)
Seizure of your license in lieu of a bond? Never heard of that one, and I AM a cop. Holy crap. If I got jacked up in another state and they tried to "take" my Oregon license we'd have us a serious issue. The licenses here in my state belong to the DMV, and we simiply 'rent' them. Also, if I stop a driver and they don't produce an actual driver's license, they go to jail, period. It's called Failure to Carry and Present License, and it's a crime. So if they take your license you're pretty screwed. Seizure of license for bond, blows my mind. I think I'll avoid Michigan.

W.C.

Well, I was pretty taken aback when the Michigan DOT cop told me it was LAW in their state to take the license as bond if the driver didn't carry cash. I think that's their policy towards any out-of-state drivers, not just Canadians. So, yeah, if you're from Oregon and you don't have 100 bucks on you and you did something wrong ... a Michigan cop would try to wrestle away your Oregon license as bond :)