Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   How do you just pass through Canada (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/35613-how-do-you-just-pass-through-canada.html)

NotSteve 09-19-2008 07:50 PM

How do you just pass through Canada

I'm heading to Fraser MI from the Mass area and the shortest route is
through Canada. How is that done? Do you just get a hall pass or something?

Twilight Flyer 09-19-2008 08:59 PM

90 to Buffalo, cross the border in Buffalo, and I think it's 401 or 402 into Detroit.

They don't do hall passes anymore. They stamp your hand and check your pockets for small bottles of booze and stink bombs.

Twilight Flyer 09-19-2008 09:00 PM

BTW, you have to stop in Anchorage, AK and pick up an eskimo snow globe. It's required and not that much out of route.

no_worries 09-19-2008 10:20 PM

I looked into it before, but it's been awhile. I think you have to be a bonded carrier first. For vans they were supposed to verify seals and maybe even affix their own lock at customs on each end. Don't know what they'd do with flatbeds. Probably take an inventory.

mike3fan 09-19-2008 10:28 PM

intransit form and a Canada bond number

Rev.Vassago 09-19-2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan

So you get all the Canada hassle, with none of the Canada pay? Cool! 8)

rank 09-20-2008 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan

Oh, that sux. That's good to know.

tracer 09-20-2008 02:47 AM

If you cross in Buffalo/Fort Erie, take QEW to Hamilton and then 403 west to Woodstock. 403 merges with 401 and 401 west will take you directly to Detroit/Windsor border. Be prepared that U.S. border guards will treat you like a spy. ("Citizenship?" "What are you hauling?" "How long in Canada?" "What did you buy at Duty Free?" "Who else is with you?" "Have you ever had any problems crossing the U.S. border?") :) There's a huge truck stop with a restaurant at Exit 5, just minutes from the border on the Canadian side.

NotSteve 09-20-2008 05:23 AM

Well, so much for that. I'm pretty sure you don't need anything special other than a passport. Maybe I'll give them a call today if I can get a hold of someone.

I actually did have a snow globe in my truck. I stole it from the boss wife on my last day at my old job. I then started to take pictures of it at different places I traveled and sent pictures back with ransom notes.

mike3fan 09-20-2008 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotSteve
I'm pretty sure you don't need anything special other than a passport.

In Transit Manifest

When a commercial load travels from the USA through Canada and back to the USA an In Transit Manifest is to be completed and shown to both Canada Customs and US Customs.

This same form is used when a commercial load travels from Canada, through the USA and back into Canada.

I would love for you to show up at the customs booth without the form filled out with the necessary info including your Canadian bond number.

It really is the easiest process involving Canada/US border crossings,usually 3min at the booth and then across you go,I've done atleast a hundred of these crossings.

When crossing empty no form is needed,just make sure you have Ontario on the IRP and a Ontario insurance card.

you save 120-130 miles cutting across Ontario.