Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   How do you just pass through Canada (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/35613-how-do-you-just-pass-through-canada.html)

NotSteve 09-19-2008 07:50 PM

How do you just pass through Canada

I'm heading to Fraser MI from the Mass area and the shortest route is
through Canada. How is that done? Do you just get a hall pass or something?

Twilight Flyer 09-19-2008 08:59 PM

90 to Buffalo, cross the border in Buffalo, and I think it's 401 or 402 into Detroit.

They don't do hall passes anymore. They stamp your hand and check your pockets for small bottles of booze and stink bombs.

Twilight Flyer 09-19-2008 09:00 PM

BTW, you have to stop in Anchorage, AK and pick up an eskimo snow globe. It's required and not that much out of route.

no_worries 09-19-2008 10:20 PM

I looked into it before, but it's been awhile. I think you have to be a bonded carrier first. For vans they were supposed to verify seals and maybe even affix their own lock at customs on each end. Don't know what they'd do with flatbeds. Probably take an inventory.

mike3fan 09-19-2008 10:28 PM

intransit form and a Canada bond number

Rev.Vassago 09-19-2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan

So you get all the Canada hassle, with none of the Canada pay? Cool! 8)

rank 09-20-2008 02:06 AM

Quote:

Oh, that sux. That's good to know.

tracer 09-20-2008 02:47 AM

If you cross in Buffalo/Fort Erie, take QEW to Hamilton and then 403 west to Woodstock. 403 merges with 401 and 401 west will take you directly to Detroit/Windsor border. Be prepared that U.S. border guards will treat you like a spy. ("Citizenship?" "What are you hauling?" "How long in Canada?" "What did you buy at Duty Free?" "Who else is with you?" "Have you ever had any problems crossing the U.S. border?") :) There's a huge truck stop with a restaurant at Exit 5, just minutes from the border on the Canadian side.

NotSteve 09-20-2008 05:23 AM

Well, so much for that. I'm pretty sure you don't need anything special other than a passport. Maybe I'll give them a call today if I can get a hold of someone.

I actually did have a snow globe in my truck. I stole it from the boss wife on my last day at my old job. I then started to take pictures of it at different places I traveled and sent pictures back with ransom notes.

mike3fan 09-20-2008 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotSteve
I'm pretty sure you don't need anything special other than a passport.

In Transit Manifest

When a commercial load travels from the USA through Canada and back to the USA an In Transit Manifest is to be completed and shown to both Canada Customs and US Customs.

This same form is used when a commercial load travels from Canada, through the USA and back into Canada.

I would love for you to show up at the customs booth without the form filled out with the necessary info including your Canadian bond number.

It really is the easiest process involving Canada/US border crossings,usually 3min at the booth and then across you go,I've done atleast a hundred of these crossings.

When crossing empty no form is needed,just make sure you have Ontario on the IRP and a Ontario insurance card.

you save 120-130 miles cutting across Ontario.

NotSteve 09-20-2008 06:13 AM

Where does it say you need a bond? I don't have a bond and have hauled into Canada before so I know it's not required. I have a Canadian Carrier Code but that is not a bond.

So it looks like your saying I can haul into Canada all I want but if I drive through without dropping off or loading up I need a bond?

Me thinks your wrong.

mike3fan 09-20-2008 06:25 AM

Quote:

Where does it say you need a bond? I don't have a bond and have hauled into Canada before so I know it's not required. I have a Canadian Carrier Code but that is not a bond.

So it looks like your saying I can haul into Canada all I want but if I drive through without dropping off or loading up I need a bond?

Me thinks your wrong.

is the code you have a 4 digit number?

NotSteve 09-20-2008 06:29 AM

Quote:

Yes it is and that's called a Canadian Carrier Code and not a bond.

mike3fan 09-20-2008 07:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes it is and that's called a Canadian Carrier Code and not a bond.

ok it took me a while to find it,but this is the form you need,notice the 2 or 3rd line down where it says canada bond number this is where I would put in the 4 digit code I got from my company.I have no idea if it's the same type of number you have,if you try it you need atleast 5 copies.

http://www.questaweb.com/documents/Form-7512B.pdf

NotSteve 09-20-2008 07:19 AM

Ok, thanks!!

I think I'm just going to stay in the U.S. since my rate included the route around Canada. It's just not worth it to find out there's some reason I can't drive through.

mike3fan 09-20-2008 07:36 AM

Quote:

Ok, thanks!!

I think I'm just going to stay in the U.S. since my rate included the route around Canada. It's just not worth it to find out there's some reason I can't drive through.

I agree 100%

NotSteve 09-20-2008 07:39 AM

Is your map indicative of all the places you've gone? I only have one left to do and that's Florida.

mike3fan 09-20-2008 08:45 AM

Quote:

Is your map indicative of all the places you've gone? I only have one left to do and that's Florida.

in the truck,I have been to all except Hawaii counting personal

Walking Eagle 09-20-2008 09:56 PM

Have trucked in all 50 states and all provinces of Canada. Managed Hawaii by talking a trucker into letting me drive his, in a bar, while on vacation one time there :D :D

no_worries 09-21-2008 12:57 AM

A bond is how the government makes sure that the proper tariffs get paid on imports. It's not an issue when you're importing goods into Canada because either A) you clear customs at the border, B) you're delivering to an approved bonded warehouse inland, or C) you're a bonded carrier. At least I think you're ok if C. When all you're doing is crossing Canada en route back to the U.S., you don't have to clear customs with respect to tariffs. They require you to have a bond in case they discover later that you did in fact deliver some of your goods there. I assume Mike's company was bonded and that's the number he supplied. That was the explanation given to me.

Rev.Vassago 09-21-2008 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
Have trucked in all 50 states and all provinces of Canada. Managed Hawaii by talking a trucker into letting me drive his, in a bar, while on vacation one time there :D :D

Wow. You're probably one of only a handful of drivers who has accomplished that feat. Now I expect you to hit all of Europe.

mike3fan 09-21-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_worries
I assume Mike's company was bonded and that's the number he supplied. That was the explanation given to me.

I bet you're right,I never asked what the number was for all I know is what it reads on the form "Canada Bond number",the company I am with now does not have the bond number so when we do the intransit thing now we have to go inside to a broker and get a temp one to cross,the broker even said I can't believe they pay this each time to cross.

Orangetxguy 09-21-2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walking Eagle

Wow. You're probably one of only a handful of drivers who has accomplished that feat. Now I expect you to hit all of Europe.

LOL...I have driven truck in Hawaii. On Oahu, Maui and the "Big Island". :shock: :shock: Got some very disturbing looks from the tourists, when they would see those Orange and Black trucks the company had over there. :lol: :lol: The Industrial Services divison of the company I worked for, from 1979 to 1987, kept units on all three Islands. We flew over usually a week before a project, to service whichever trucks we would need for the job.

Walking Eagle 09-22-2008 05:15 AM

No Rev. I didn't hit all of Europe but did hit quite a bit :) My M & D lived over there so on various vacations went around and (Over beer or wine) "Aww, common I'm a licensed HGC in the USA just let me drive it a little bit". Suprising how it worked :D :D Over there you can go thru 3 or 4 countries in a day.