Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Best APU (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/35414-best-apu.html)

gladman 09-07-2008 03:57 PM

Best APU

The dealer is recommending a Carrier APU. Anyone have any experience with this unit? Any other guys out there using APUs? Who/what would you recommend?

Roadhog 09-07-2008 04:03 PM

I'm only familiar with Rigmaster.
http://www.bigrigproducts.com/id15.html
This unit worked real well, although wasn't as quiet as others I've seen.

TomB985 09-07-2008 04:28 PM

Well, I'm but a lowly, heathen company driver :lol: but I've had two trucks with Thermoking Tripacs, and overall I've had very good luck with them...

About $8k installed, includes a diesel fired bunk heater, a 13,000 BTU a/c unit, and my company has had much better luck with these than the rigmaster...

BanditsCousin 09-07-2008 06:27 PM

I heard good things about the Carrier ComfortPro, but I don't know about it personally.

I'm an o/o, and pleased with my Tripac.

If you get a Rigmaster, you have to be cool and get a rooftop A/C (and wear a kick me sign on your back on CAD for a few months) :lol:

NotSteve 09-07-2008 07:15 PM

Dickhead.

charged 09-07-2008 07:29 PM

try to find a used one.

I found a nice used rigmaster for $1500 on nashville craigslist few months ago. My dad waited too long and someone else got it.

There is a tripac for sale near us on nashville craigslist.

There is a nice new powertech kubota diesel genset on nashville craigslist for $5300.

My dad just committed to a used 7500 watt rv onan diesel genset for $2500 which I found on craigslist. He's going to do a roof top a/c unit and a diesel heater for winter.

You have a lot of options. Not just going to a dealer and paying retail for a new apu.

Powertech and comfortmaster seemed to be good apus from what I read. When we walked around truck lots the rigmaster stuff was really loud and the tripac seemed quiet.

TruckerChris 09-07-2008 11:20 PM

I have a Tripac and I love it. Sometimes I set it too low and in the mornings it's so cold I don't want to get out of bed... On the other end, the heater is great and blows fire hot... It's all adjustable though.

I was talking to a driver today who has the NITE Battery system. He's sitting in the drivers lounge right now because he has ran out of battery charge. They last for 10 hours and then you need to idle but he can't idle for more than 5 minutes... He said it just blows around warm air during the day and keep the truck comfortable during the night, but not cold. He said he wishes he had a normal APU.

Roadhog 09-07-2008 11:46 PM

My biggest complaint with the rigmaster was how loud it ran. But as far as maintaining cabin temps, it was very efficient. I also really liked how it kept the batteries charged, and I would plug in the block heater. Up in the North, you have to keep those batteries up, and run a block heater, or you are not going anywhere some mornings.

The 110v outlets were great too. I felt safer running all my appliances off the generator vs. a battery inverter.

Walking Eagle 09-08-2008 12:55 AM

I have had both a Carrier and a Tripac and the Tripac is way better !!! With the Carrier if you want 110 volts, for TV or ??, you have to start it but with the Tripac it will run a low drain 110 appliance for a while then start it's self to re charge the batteries then shut off even though you are still useing the whatever. Found the Tripac cools a lot better to, when the Sun is boiling down and it's 115 outside. Lot quieter unit to.
Gave away my Carrier, after useing a friends truck that had a Tripac to compliet a contract, and had the Tripac installed on mine.
Just have them install the optional 3000 watt inverter, saves all the beeping when you try to run the fridge, micro, water heater, TV etc. at the same time :D :D Think it was $225 extra.

TruckerChris 09-08-2008 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
I have had both a Carrier and a Tripac and the Tripac is way better !!! With the Carrier if you want 110 volts, for TV or ??, you have to start it but with the Tripac it will run a low drain 110 appliance for a while then start it's self to re charge the batteries then shut off even though you are still useing the whatever. Found the Tripac cools a lot better to, when the Sun is boiling down and it's 115 outside. Lot quieter unit to.
Gave away my Carrier, after useing a friends truck that had a Tripac to compliet a contract, and had the Tripac installed on mine.
Just have them install the optional 3000 watt inverter, saves all the beeping when you try to run the fridge, micro, water heater, TV etc. at the same time :D :D Think it was $225 extra.

$225? I was thinking about getting a TK 1800 watt inverter in Seattle and they said it was $800!

Walking Eagle 09-08-2008 01:59 AM

Was this just straight buying it or when they installed the unit ?? I had mine done in San Antonio, they told me the basic unit came with an 1800 but I could upgrade to the 3000.

NotSteve 09-08-2008 05:46 AM

My Rigmaster was loud but I went the Meineke muffler and they took the old muffler off, installed a pipe from the engine all the way to the back and put a real car muffler on. Very quiet. All for $135.

Sammonman 09-10-2008 06:14 PM

Look at the Pony Packs. Much more simple and over 20 years of experience.

TomB985 09-10-2008 06:32 PM

I parked next to a truck with that Pony Pack APU a few weeks ago...and I ended up moving in the middle of the night! That thing is LOUD!!!!

But, loud as it is, it may be cheaper than an $8k tripac.....

JR OTR 09-10-2008 08:18 PM

TriPac is my vote. I have one on my truck and I had one on the company truck was driving earlier. The one on my truck had a bug or two that had to be sorted out after it was installed but since then it has run like a champ. It is by far the quietest of the diesel-powered APUs I've seen and the fuel use is negligable.

Jim

Rev.Vassago 09-10-2008 09:06 PM

Honda. Preferably one that doesn't start on fire.

mike3fan 09-10-2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago

I had to buy a new generator for my 5th wheel this last weekend,so I went all in and bought a eu3000is Honda,any suggestions on mounting that on my truck? I have zero space on either frame rail and I also have a huge ass hose rack on the back much like a headache rack......any ideas? I would want to be able to take it off on occasion and take it in the RV.

And btw the way the damn thing is as quite as a mouse.Runs both the 13,500 AC and the microwave at the same time in the 5th wheel with the lights on.

Rev.Vassago 09-10-2008 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago

I had to buy a new generator for my 5th wheel this last weekend,so I went all in and bought a eu3000is Honda,any suggestions on mounting that on my truck? I have zero space on either frame rail and I also have a huge ass hose rack on the back much like a headache rack......any ideas? I would want to be able to take it off on occasion and take it in the RV.

And btw the way the damn thing is as quite as a mouse.Runs both the 13,500 AC and the microwave at the same time in the 5th wheel with the lights on.

Anywhere you can build a box to store it, then take it out when needed?

charged 09-10-2008 11:05 PM

Those eu3000is hondas looked pretty good, and you can get used ones for around $1000 off craigslist.

If you need a big genset look on craigslist. My dad just got a 7500watt diesel one for $2500.

tweety bird 09-17-2008 06:13 PM

We had a pony pack and I have NOTHING good to say about it. It hardly ever worked and it was the loudest generator I've ever heard (followed closely by rigmaster generators!). Now, this was lik 6 or 7 years ago so maybe they've changed. I don't know. You don't see very many of them, though (at least, I don't).

Our next on was an Onan. Definitely quiet and when it worked it was great. But we had a lot of repairs. In 5 years we had it rebuilt 3 times (twice under warranty- thank goodness). Man, once you get used to a generator you get spoiled and when that thing quit working, it's like life was on hold until it was fixed- lol! We kind of figured that Onan's are made for RVs and RVs tend to plug in rather than use the generators. I don't know if that's a reasonable explanation for how repair intensive it was (the 3 rebuilds weren't the only repairs fyi). Maybe, like most things, they're just cheaply made.

tweety bird 09-17-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotSteve
Dickhead.

Where'd that come from?

NotSteve 09-17-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanditsCousin

If you get a Rigmaster, you have to be cool and get a rooftop A/C (and wear a kick me sign on your back on CAD for a few months) :lol:

That was in response to BanditJerk. I kicked his azz a month ago and he's still pissed about it. Or at least I think I did. My memory isn't so good these days.

CanadianFTE 12-22-2008 05:44 AM

Is that Onan a Cummins comfortgaurd? I,m looking at apu,s and thinking of thermo king tri pac or Cummins comfortgaurd. heard lot's of good things about tri pac but nothing about the comfortgaurd. I like the options on the comfortgaurd but would like to hear some comments on them. Anyone out there got one?

Musicman 12-24-2008 03:03 AM

We had a TriPac for about eight months (until our truck was stolen), and it was decent. I did not like the “Arctic” feature on it that is designed to heat the entire truck engine by circulating the coolant, because that little diesel engine would never generate enough heat to make any real difference in the temperature of the truck’s coolant. Also, the TriPac does not put out enough cooling BTUs to cool a high rise roofed truck in extremely hot weather. When sitting in Ontario, CA in the summer, for example, we would have to start up the truck and idle 5 minutes out of every 30 to keep it reasonably cool. Also, the TriPac and most other APUs don’t put out nearly enough electrical energy… if I remember correctly most APUs including the TriPac only come with a 65 amp alternator. Despite its shortcomings, the one thing that was great about our old TriPac was that it could be serviced at any TK dealer.

We now have a Comfort Master APU, which is great in a lot of ways. It has two alternators that put out a combined 400 amps of power. It also cools well enough to freeze you out of the truck, even in Phoenix in July. Same thing goes with the heat in Fargo in January. It also comes with a 3000 watt inverter that you can plug into shore power to keep your batteries charged, etc. . The problem with Comfort Master has always been that the units are a bit quirky. The designer of the system tried to make it do too much too quickly and the result was a few irritating problems with the system that will cause it to occasionally error code out and turn off. Now it seems that the credit crunch got the best of the company and it is currently out of business. Luckily all of the parts in the system are easy to find from independent dealers, and the Isuzu engine warranty can still be serviced by outside dealers if problems arise there.

My advice is to put a lot of thought into what you want from an APU. Some systems are better than others in particular areas. Define the things that are most important to you, do a little research and buy the APU that most fits your wants and needs. Also keep in mind that in California, and soon many other states as well, you will not be able to use an APU on a newer (’04 / ’07) truck unless the APU meets the same emission standards as the truck. I have noticed that some of the APU manufacturers are now offering upgrades like particulate filters that should make their APU CARB compliant, but if you run in these emission control happy states, make sure that what you are buying will be legal there.

BanditsCousin 12-26-2008 06:50 PM

My truck stays very cool in Vegas in 100+ degree weather. I have a newer unit, a white truck, and a 86" studio sleeper. It might be that the unit was newer, but I doubt it. I have no complaints, but it won't cool you all too well up front in the seats.

I've heard a few complaints about the Tripac's cooling ability, so i could be an exception, or easily pleased. I also noticed the Arctic package only makes the APU run more, and I'm still finding out how it warms the coolant (being my first winter). Overall, I'm happy with the Tripac.

allan5oh 12-26-2008 07:12 PM

I think it just uses the trucks coolant system for cooling.

BanditsCousin 12-26-2008 10:16 PM

The tripac uses its own system with a condenser and aux. fan mounted on the back of the sleeper. It does use some of the truck's ventilation system as routing. Mine came with 1 custom hose/vent installed under the sleeper and lumbed into the rest of my vents in the sleeper.

allan5oh 12-27-2008 12:18 AM

The first you described is the air conditioning system, not the cooling system.

The second is the espar heater under your bunk.

There will be two coolant lines going to the tripac probably. The reason you cannot run the tripac while the truck is running is the tripac uses the trucks coolant. Both cannot be on at the same time.

Musicman 12-27-2008 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 430866)
There will be two coolant lines going to the tripac probably. The reason you cannot run the tripac while the truck is running is the tripac uses the trucks coolant. Both cannot be on at the same time.

You are correct about the two coolant lines. They patch them in from the heater lines running to the bunk and connect them with “T’s” and ball valves. They claimed you could run the APU with those valves closed, but a few mechanics told me they wouldn’t personally do it.

You are incorrect about not being able to run your truck and the TriPac simultaneously. My alternator went kaput and we drove for about 12 hours using the TriPac's tiny alternator to keep the batteries charged. You run into problems idling the truck and running the TriPac for any length of time, or at least we did, because the coolant will heat up too much. The conflict is that the truck likes to keep the coolant at a minimum of 175 degrees and the TriPac turns on its radiator fan when the coolant reaches 130 degrees or so. We did do it, as I mentioned in an above post, for five minutes at a time to keep the truck cool when parked in the sun and ambient temps above 100 degrees Fahrenheit and had no problem.

allan5oh 12-27-2008 01:07 AM

Thanks, didn't know that. A few people have asked if you can run both at the same time, how do you actually do it?

Musicman 12-27-2008 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanditsCousin (Post 430834)
My truck stays very cool in Vegas in 100+ degree weather. I have a newer unit, a white truck, and a 86" studio sleeper. It might be that the unit was newer, but I doubt it. I have no complaints, but it won't cool you all too well up front in the seats.

I've heard a few complaints about the Tripac's cooling ability, so i could be an exception, or easily pleased. I also noticed the Arctic package only makes the APU run more, and I'm still finding out how it warms the coolant (being my first winter). Overall, I'm happy with the Tripac.

I can just about guarantee it won’t warm your coolant worth a damn. I’m sure it will keep it from freezing, but that should be a moot point anyway if you’re running a 50/50 coolant mix. Your Espar heater will roast your butt right out of the truck. That, IMHO is one of the good things about the TriPac.

With our unit, it would barely keep the sleeper cool in the hottest weather if you kept the curtains closed; but with a spouse and a cat in the truck, it’s nice to be able to keep the curtains open when you’re parked for any length of time. I think the biggest problem with cooling is that the TriPac (and most other APUs as well) doesn’t move enough air. That’s one of the primary reasons we bought a different APU for our new truck. The APU we have now blows about five times harder on the highest fan setting as the sleeper’s OEM HVAC system does.

Musicman 12-27-2008 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 430874)
Thanks, didn't know that. A few people have asked if you can run both at the same time, how do you actually do it?

Just start up the TriPac while the truck is already running. It’s that simple. If you ever run the batteries down to a point where they will not quite turn your truck engine over, you can start up your TriPac and let it run for ten minutes or so to put a quick charge in the batteries. The TriPac’s starter requires much less power to turn it than does the starter on your truck. You can also start the truck up while the TriPac is running and use that little extra boost from the APU’s alternator to get you going. Just keep in mind if you ever are in a situation like we were, where you needed to run off the TriPac’s alternator, that it is only a 65 amp alternator. When alternators heat up their amperage output drops quite a bit, so after a while you may be only getting 35 amps or so from the TriPac’s alternator. You can run your truck off of the TriPac’s juice, but I would turn off all non essential high power consuming devices, like the truck's HVAC blower, CBs with big amps, etc., especially if it is at night and you need to use your headlights. You can also run your TriPac to keep cool while driving if you lose the AC compressor on your truck. We did that for a day, too and it worked out pretty well. Having an APU gives you a lot of options that others without an APU don’t have, you just have to be creative.

allan5oh 12-27-2008 01:26 AM

Most tripacs are set up to turn off as soon as the key is on.

Musicman 12-27-2008 01:30 AM

I also might add that there is an $80 option available that many companies elect to have installed that will prevent you from running the truck and the TriPac at the same time. If the truck is a company truck, you may not be able to run both at once. Since it was my truck, I wanted the extra possibilities that are available to me by being able to simultaneously run the APU and my truck. In the end it was a good decision, as it saved me a tow in just the 10 months we had it before our truck was stolen.

Musicman 12-27-2008 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 430879)
Most tripacs are set up to turn off as soon as the key is on.

That would be the $80 option I was referring to.

Walking Eagle 12-27-2008 02:52 AM

My Tripack has been slightly modified, in that I put a bigger altinator on it. I have 148 inch ARI sleeper with all the goodies, Micro, AC/Heat, oven, freezer, lights etc. and it keeps up with them all ! I have two 3000 watt invertors hooked up to different things but have never got a low volt warning ! If the batteries get low it fires up and charges them. At night, just watching satilite TV, with a few lightd on, it doesn't even fire up (Carrier for 110 volts it has to be running)
Tri Pack is the best around !

Musicman 12-27-2008 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walking Eagle (Post 430886)
My Tripack has been slightly modified, in that I put a bigger altinator on it. I have 148 inch ARI sleeper with all the goodies, Micro, AC/Heat, oven, freezer, lights etc. and it keeps up with them all ! I have two 3000 watt invertors hooked up to different things but have never got a low volt warning ! If the batteries get low it fires up and charges them. At night, just watching satilite TV, with a few lightd on, it doesn't even fire up (Carrier for 110 volts it has to be running)
Tri Pack is the best around !

Hmmmmm, wonder what I could power with my 400 amps from two alternators?

big-trucker 02-23-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammonman (Post 410080)
Look at the Pony Packs. Much more simple and over 20 years of experience.

Whatever you do dont buy a Pony Pack in this case 20 years exp dont mean nothing

big-trucker 02-23-2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB985 (Post 410084)
I parked next to a truck with that Pony Pack APU a few weeks ago...and I ended up moving in the middle of the night! That thing is LOUD!!!!

But, loud as it is, it may be cheaper than an $8k tripac.....

No just as pricey and even more with all the repairs you will need and nowhere to get them done and they are very loud too

mikeymike 02-24-2009 09:52 PM

I have had my tripac a few months now and I LOVE IT. I have a volvo 670 and my tripac heats and cools it VERY well. Also mine has 2 ducts that they installed under/front side of bunk. I got the inverter 1800 watt and it cost me an additional $400. Sometimes I will get that dreaded beep noise for batt power before the unit starts up but I attributed that to 2 things. First thing is I only have 3 batteries (seems that most folks have 4) and then mine are only 700 amp, so i figured that had sumthin to do with it. Any ideas?