Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Best APU (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/35414-best-apu.html)

gladman 09-07-2008 03:57 PM

Best APU

The dealer is recommending a Carrier APU. Anyone have any experience with this unit? Any other guys out there using APUs? Who/what would you recommend?

Roadhog 09-07-2008 04:03 PM

I'm only familiar with Rigmaster.
http://www.bigrigproducts.com/id15.html
This unit worked real well, although wasn't as quiet as others I've seen.

TomB985 09-07-2008 04:28 PM

Well, I'm but a lowly, heathen company driver :lol: but I've had two trucks with Thermoking Tripacs, and overall I've had very good luck with them...

About $8k installed, includes a diesel fired bunk heater, a 13,000 BTU a/c unit, and my company has had much better luck with these than the rigmaster...

BanditsCousin 09-07-2008 06:27 PM

I heard good things about the Carrier ComfortPro, but I don't know about it personally.

I'm an o/o, and pleased with my Tripac.

If you get a Rigmaster, you have to be cool and get a rooftop A/C (and wear a kick me sign on your back on CAD for a few months) :lol:

NotSteve 09-07-2008 07:15 PM

Dickhead.

charged 09-07-2008 07:29 PM

try to find a used one.

I found a nice used rigmaster for $1500 on nashville craigslist few months ago. My dad waited too long and someone else got it.

There is a tripac for sale near us on nashville craigslist.

There is a nice new powertech kubota diesel genset on nashville craigslist for $5300.

My dad just committed to a used 7500 watt rv onan diesel genset for $2500 which I found on craigslist. He's going to do a roof top a/c unit and a diesel heater for winter.

You have a lot of options. Not just going to a dealer and paying retail for a new apu.

Powertech and comfortmaster seemed to be good apus from what I read. When we walked around truck lots the rigmaster stuff was really loud and the tripac seemed quiet.

TruckerChris 09-07-2008 11:20 PM

I have a Tripac and I love it. Sometimes I set it too low and in the mornings it's so cold I don't want to get out of bed... On the other end, the heater is great and blows fire hot... It's all adjustable though.

I was talking to a driver today who has the NITE Battery system. He's sitting in the drivers lounge right now because he has ran out of battery charge. They last for 10 hours and then you need to idle but he can't idle for more than 5 minutes... He said it just blows around warm air during the day and keep the truck comfortable during the night, but not cold. He said he wishes he had a normal APU.

Roadhog 09-07-2008 11:46 PM

My biggest complaint with the rigmaster was how loud it ran. But as far as maintaining cabin temps, it was very efficient. I also really liked how it kept the batteries charged, and I would plug in the block heater. Up in the North, you have to keep those batteries up, and run a block heater, or you are not going anywhere some mornings.

The 110v outlets were great too. I felt safer running all my appliances off the generator vs. a battery inverter.

Walking Eagle 09-08-2008 12:55 AM

I have had both a Carrier and a Tripac and the Tripac is way better !!! With the Carrier if you want 110 volts, for TV or ??, you have to start it but with the Tripac it will run a low drain 110 appliance for a while then start it's self to re charge the batteries then shut off even though you are still useing the whatever. Found the Tripac cools a lot better to, when the Sun is boiling down and it's 115 outside. Lot quieter unit to.
Gave away my Carrier, after useing a friends truck that had a Tripac to compliet a contract, and had the Tripac installed on mine.
Just have them install the optional 3000 watt inverter, saves all the beeping when you try to run the fridge, micro, water heater, TV etc. at the same time :D :D Think it was $225 extra.

TruckerChris 09-08-2008 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
I have had both a Carrier and a Tripac and the Tripac is way better !!! With the Carrier if you want 110 volts, for TV or ??, you have to start it but with the Tripac it will run a low drain 110 appliance for a while then start it's self to re charge the batteries then shut off even though you are still useing the whatever. Found the Tripac cools a lot better to, when the Sun is boiling down and it's 115 outside. Lot quieter unit to.
Gave away my Carrier, after useing a friends truck that had a Tripac to compliet a contract, and had the Tripac installed on mine.
Just have them install the optional 3000 watt inverter, saves all the beeping when you try to run the fridge, micro, water heater, TV etc. at the same time :D :D Think it was $225 extra.

$225? I was thinking about getting a TK 1800 watt inverter in Seattle and they said it was $800!