Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Do you take weight into account when you book a load? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/35340-do-you-take-weight-into-account-when-you-book-load.html)

NotSteve 09-05-2008 10:37 AM

Ok, who the F*** wrote that?

Moderators!!!!! Someone has hacked into Rev's account and posted!!!!

I do think my video description of my drug test was pretty good though right down to the random timer on my microwave. lol

I'm pretty sure I've posted everything that's gone wrong. I've had many close calls because of stupid stuff but never had anything fall off my truck, hit anything or been put out of service.

I didn't think I posted a rosy picture all the time. I post about being screwed by brokers, sweating my nuts off, cramping up at night, being pushed by brokers, sitting for days, getting my truck TP'd and so forth.

I'm not accurate all the time and right now I can't remember how much my insurance costs, $5,600 or $5,800. I can't remember how much my Rigmaster was but it was close to $7,800.

I do tend to round off or come close to what I honestly think. As far as my rate per mile I figure that every quarter when I do my IFTA. I take the total miles for the quarter and the total money brought in and arrived at a little more than $1.90 per mile last quarter.

I'm sure there's plenty you can call me on but I'm not trying to get away with anything. It's what I believe to the best of my memory except for the IFTA calculation above which you really can't get anymore accurate than that.

Did I mention that my name is on my door?

Rev.Vassago 09-05-2008 11:04 AM

Yeah, I tend to not come off assholish enough after driving all night. I'll try to work on that.

I may get myself a Sharpie and write my name on the door, just to take that away from you. :wink:

That being said, I still think you are dead wrong on short hauls. It's fairly easy to run good miles on trips that are less than 500 miles. Hell, the first 7 years I was driving, everything I did was less than 500 miles, and I still managed to run 2500-3000 miles a week (and that was hopper bottoms, which are a hell of a lot more labor intensive than flatbed). Even now, running 4 loads in a 5 day week is a cakewalk, and I try to do as little as possible, because I am allergic to work.

NotSteve 09-05-2008 11:30 AM

lol

For a flatbedder with his own authority it's a lot more work then someone who is leased on and driving a van.

I have to do paperwork that takes hours until I get a rate conformation. Loading a flatbed is very labor intensive as opposed to a van.

That scenario I listed was my experience running in a high paying high traffic area.

I'm heading to load up 2 corn heads that will require chains. I'm guessing it will take at least 4 to 6 hours from start to finish. This is a first come first serve place so I know there will be other trucks waiting before I get there. I would have been there last night but paperwork and a rate conformation on the brokers part was holding me up. It just came in.

Rev.Vassago 09-05-2008 11:53 AM

There's an easy fix to that problem: put someone else's name on the door and start pulling a dry van. :wink:

scooter823 09-05-2008 01:45 PM

All I can say is WOW!!!! It is enjoyable to read when you two are not

bashing each other. :lol: Like I said before don't sweat the small stuff, life

is to short. Now, continue on.

NotSteve 09-05-2008 01:59 PM

Ah, shutup scooter. I am feeling churlish today...I think. I had to look it up.

Just kidding Scoot.

Rev.Vassago 09-05-2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter823
All I can say is WOW!!!! It is enjoyable to read when you two are not

bashing each other. :lol: Like I said before don't sweat the small stuff, life

is to short. Now, continue on.

too

Regular bashing will resume after I get some sleep.

geomon 09-05-2008 03:51 PM

Steve,

Dang it's nice to see you two getting along…tho I feel like we’re just in the eye of the storm and y’all will “git back to it” shortly :P

I threw some of charged’s expenses into a spreadsheet that I built up a while ago just to show him there are other expenses that he did not list. As far as overstating some of them (ex: $100/mo on office) I’d rather err on the side of caution and end up with extra cash in the bank rather than think I’m doing ok and then have this “oh-crap" moment at the end of the year. But as far as the $100/mo office is concerned…don't you need to add in the costs of: computer(and replacement every 3-4 yrs), fax, printer, stamps, fedex costs, office space (even if it’s at home), etc. That can add up fast.

PS...the accuracy of those numbers are still subjective as I’ve still not left the world of high tech for driving...BUT…even in high-tech manufacturing …if we want to buy a piece of capital equipment…we have to lay out just how it will a) pay for itself, b) cover it’s operating expenses, and c) generate a profit. Otherwise the board will not approve of the money being spent. That same logic should apply to a truck…it’s still a business and should be treated that way.

scooter823 09-05-2008 04:10 PM

Sh****************t, Rev, your like some professors I had many moons

ago, pick out the small stuff they did. I thought I might be able to slide that

one by you, Sh***t who am I kidding, I did not even take notice. Any way,

"churlish" WTF, I have been called worst. lol

Getting ready for Hanna, should be blowing through here right after midnight

tonight :roll:

NotSteve 09-05-2008 06:03 PM

Well, since he's asleep.....His headlights are stupid.

Rev.Vassago 09-05-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotSteve
Well, since he's asleep.....His headlights are stupid.

I'm never asleep. I'm like Big Brother.

NotSteve 09-05-2008 06:07 PM

I like your new title

Rev.Vassago 09-05-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

I like your new title

I bet you do. :lol:

BigDiesel 09-05-2008 06:52 PM

Helloooooooo...... Can we please get back to regularly scheduled programing.....Sigh............................... ......................

charged 09-05-2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Helloooooooo...... Can we please get back to regularly scheduled programing.....Sigh............................... ......................

Sure, you said that my dads gross does not cover his expenses. I'd like to know how you came up with that.

tootie04 09-05-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

I like your new title

OK how'd ya'll change your titles??

Mine needs to be Hobby Trucker Cheerleader!!! :wink:

tootie

Rev.Vassago 09-05-2008 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tootie04
Quote:

I like your new title

OK how'd ya'll change your titles??

Mine needs to be Groupie.

tootie

Fixed.

GMAN 09-05-2008 11:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
I'd love to hear the story of how you dropped a pipe off your trailer. Do you have the balls to post that?

I didn't drop a pipe. Mike tends to make things up like the $4.00 per mile. Here is the email I sent him with regards to the pipe. I keep every single post, email and fax I've ever had right back to the 1970's.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link to the other forum but I'm afraid certain people
would follow me there and it's just taken it's toll on me. Much more
has happened while I've been on the road that I haven't mentioned but
I would have loved to but it would have turned into a huge bashing. The
leaking air thing that I called roadside assistance for was my fault. I
replaced my other air hose and when I hooked back up I switched the red and blue by mistake and that makes that air release valve open up. Stupid stuff but I really wanted to tell that and other dumb stuff. Oh well.

I'm sitting at a truckstop on 25 off exit 110 in Colorado headed for
Surprise Arizona with a butt load of plastic pipe. They wrote that it weighs 25,000 and there's no way. It's like I have nothing behind me.

Things are going good. Bad weather, chains and LOTS of truck and car
accidents. I'm keeping a huge distance and just taking my time.

Steve

This isn't what I was talking about, Steve. Funny, I can't seem to find this one that you posted. I am talking about the time you told me that you dropped a load of plastic pipe all over the road and had to reload it by hand. If you are going to quote, please be accurate. You seem to want to continue to trash me and have selective memory when it comes to certain events about what you have told me and I am sure others. I don't care if you have dropped every load of pipe you have ever hauled. As long as my name isn't connected to it, I really don't care. Until you started posting false statements about me, I kept anything we discussed between us, as you asked. When you deliberately and maliciously try to disparage me, then you can rest assured that I will respond, at least this time.

There have been many times when I could have challenged statements that you have made on this forum. I didn't. People found them entertaining and even though they may not have always been completely truthful, I didn't want to get into a long debate on a public forum, although others did take you to task on some of your statements. I have better things to do than constantly banter back and forth with you or anyone else. While you tend to mislead new people at times, some of us attempt to tell them the truth so that they understand what really goes on in this business without getting into a shouting match on the internet.

I have always been truthful with anything that I have posted. People can either believe it or not. I have nothing to prove and no need to impress anyone. With me, what you see is what you get. I am the same person whether I am posting on the internet or talking to someone across the table. I am secure in who I am and what I know. I have no need to embellish my life in order to impress people. When people ask genuine questions, I try to answer them as completely and honestly as possible. When new people come to this website they are interested in learning the truth about the trucking industry. They come here and ask questions, wanting honest answers. They don't come to this forum to see a bunch of name calling and negativity. This forum should provide honest answers and be uplifting rather than making people feel so depressed they don't want to get out of bed. You continue to try to bait me to get something started. You and Rev seem to enjoy going back and forth. I don't. I would appreciate it, as I am sure would others, if you would simply drop it. If you want to post about your exploits, fine. Just keep me out of it.

One other thing. I didn't know we had email back in the 1970's.

BigDiesel 09-05-2008 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabe BBR
Quote:

Sure, you said that my dads gross does not cover his expenses. I'd like to know how you came up with that.

Again...... since you have such great business acumen... What is dear ol' dads BEP and ROI, and is it built into your rates that you bill....

charged 09-05-2008 11:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabe BBR
Quote:

Again...... since you have such great business acumen... What is dear ol' dads BEP and ROI, and is it built into your rates that you bill....

I don't know what BEP and ROI are so tell me.

Orangetxguy 09-05-2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Its two " d's " thanks.........

Ok, sorry. Lets see. Codd, Bodd, Godd, Nodd, Podd, Rodd, Sodd.

Never ceases to amaze me.

My buddy Al Legere got married to Alice. All of a sudden his last name was now demanded to be pronounced Lay-ghair and her name was now pronounced Ah-lease.

Down this-away...that name is pronounced....Lay- jay.(with the frenchie tone)

BigDiesel 09-05-2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charged

and there lies the problem.......

BEP and ROI are basic biz 101 subjects......

I am not going to do your homework for you...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Orangetxguy 09-06-2008 12:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I know! I know!!

Pick me!! Pick Me!

YerDaddy 09-06-2008 12:10 AM

Quote:

Nope - no departure from LS. I love it here and still wish I would have come here sooner.

I think he meant involuntary departure!

Quote:

puts me right through the middle of Chicago twice a day

Sucks to be you, eh?

Quote:

and I can still pull off 2300 - 3000 miles a week

Yup! Definitely sucks!

BigDiesel 09-06-2008 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy

I know! I know!!

Pick me!! Pick Me!

Stan.... I am confident that you know the answer. But, lets see if the boy wonder can figure it out first..... :lol: :lol:

charged 09-06-2008 12:12 AM

Then I'll ask again. What expenses must he cover with the remaining money I posted he grossed this week?

Since you ignored the previous post I'm pretty sure you'll ignore this one as well. :roll:

YerDaddy 09-06-2008 12:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Back End Probing

Running On Instinct

Rev.Vassago 09-06-2008 12:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have less than 2 years left on my note, and assuming the market doesn't get any worse, about 4 years left on my ROI. Since at that point, the truck will be at between 500K - 600K, I should have quite a few years of gravy. 8)

BTW, charged, Google might help. Ever heard of it?

BigDiesel 09-06-2008 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YerDaddy
Quote:

Nope - no departure from LS. I love it here and still wish I would have come here sooner.

Quote:

Sucks to be you, eh?

Quote:

Yup! Definitely sucks!

Looks like we have a " Mult " in da' house.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Orangetxguy 09-06-2008 12:17 AM

I've got this queezy feeling in the bottom of my stomach that YERDADDY is a new iteration of ColdFrostyMug / LeBronJames

Rev.Vassago 09-06-2008 12:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sucks to be you, eh?

Quote:

Yup! Definitely sucks!

Mult.

Rev.Vassago 09-06-2008 12:18 AM

Quote:

I've got this queezy feeling in the bottom of my stomach that YERDADDY is a new iteration of ColdFrostyMug / LeBronJames

Nope. Try again.

BigDiesel 09-06-2008 12:19 AM

Quote:

Then I'll ask again. What expenses must he cover with the remaining money I posted he grossed this week?

Since you ignored the previous post I'm pretty sure you'll ignore this one as well. :roll:

Since you are so clueless in what it takes to run a business and how to do simple, yet basic research..... Figure it out..... I am sure that you are not worried about failing, due to the fact its not your money or credit on the line.

It is time for you to quit playing on mommy and daddy's computer...

YerDaddy 09-06-2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

Only if you include other boards. Just a "once" on CAD.

I'm glad my main board costs $$ to join. Keeps the trash away.

Orangetxguy 09-06-2008 12:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Nope. Try again.

:shock: Churlish-ly not!!

Rev.Vassago 09-06-2008 12:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nope. Try again.

:shock: Churlish-ly not!!

It's not even a very good mult. Too eager on the attack, and not terribly original.

BigDiesel 09-06-2008 12:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Only if you include other boards. Just a "once" on CAD.

I'm glad my main board costs $$ to join. Keeps the trash away.

You must be a " loud and proud " oreida/nambla member.....

charged 09-06-2008 12:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Since you are so clueless in what it takes to run a business and how to do simple, yet basic research..... Figure it out..... I am sure that you are not worried about failing, due to the fact its not your money or credit on the line.

It is time for you to quit playing on mommy and daddy's computer...

I'm not worried about him failing because I don't see how he can. I'll ask again what expenses does he have that will cause him top fail?

I don't live with them and I don't wish to drive 50 miles to their house to use their computer.

BigDiesel 09-06-2008 12:47 AM

Quote:

I'm not worried about him failing because I don't see how he can. I'll ask again what expenses does he have that will cause him top fail?

You truly are clueless.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll toss you a bone for s.h.i.t.s and giggles..... Two types of basic business expenses : Fixed and variable.

I don't have the time or energy to explain the principles of both to you, as it would be over your head..... :lol: :lol:

charged 09-06-2008 01:00 AM

Quote:

You truly are clueless.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll toss you a bone for s.h.i.t.s and giggles..... Two types of basic business expenses : Fixed and variable.

I don't have the time or energy to explain the principles of both to you, as it would be over your head..... :lol: :lol:

Quote:

I would like to be first in line when the truck and trailer goes up for sale... Gonna be able to buy it cheap.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're the business guru aren't you. :roll:

So, I'll ask you again. What are the total of his expenses on a weekly/monthly basis? Explain how his expenses add up to more than what he makes. Since you're the enlightened one maybe you can share.