Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Webasto Engine-Off Air Conditioner (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/35099-webasto-engine-off-air-conditioner.html)

Malaki86 08-19-2008 02:09 PM

Webasto Engine-Off Air Conditioner

My company is looking at these units to put on our trucks. Basically, while you're driving, the unit freezes a huge block of ice. When you shut down, it blows air across the ice, providing cool air to the cab. The info says it only draws 6-10amps while in operation.

http://www.webasto.us/am/en/am_trucks_aircon.html

Looks pretty cool. I was listening to Landline Now last night and they were talking with someone from Kenworth. I guess you can get a similar system like this from them when you buy a new truck.

Couple that with a diesel fired heater (like the Webasto we already have) and you can go without an APU or idling.

Rev.Vassago 08-19-2008 03:34 PM

I think a system like that has too many limitations. What do you do when the ice is all melted?

Orangetxguy 08-19-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
I think a system like that has too many limitations. What do you do when the ice is all melted?

Exactly....the ice may last 8 hours up north, during cooler weather...but down here on the Gulf Coast?? I bet less than 3 hours....maybe 5 during the winter!!

Malaki86 08-19-2008 05:23 PM

It depends on how well insulated the unit is. It does seem to have quite a big chunk of ice:

Quote:

System weight (refrigeration & cold storage) 300 lbs (136.4 kg)
System weight (cab mounted air chiller/handler) 26 lbs (13.6 kg)
With that weight, you're getting close to the average weight of an APU.

Kurbski 08-19-2008 07:19 PM

As long as the condensate discharge is over the rear tires, it should blend right in and work fine. What's one more puddle in the parking lot? :lol:

The brochure states that it's good for only 8 - 10 hours, I would rather have an APU allowing me to heat,cool and have the generator.

NotSteve 08-19-2008 07:24 PM

1,000 to 6,000 isn't going to do crapola. I have 35,000 btu in my cab and that works really good. On top of that, there is no dehumidifier so it won't remove any moisture from the air so you'll still be sweating your azz off.

mike3fan 08-19-2008 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotSteve
1,000 to 6,000 isn't going to do crapola. I have 35,000 btu in my cab and that works really good. On top of that, there is no dehumidifier so it won't remove any moisture from the air so you'll still be sweating your azz off.

yeah and you also said the webasto/espar heater was a joke too,yet you are gonna get one now....

they have tested it,and it cooled the bunk down to 70 when outside temps were 90 for up to 9 hrs.

NotSteve 08-19-2008 08:05 PM

I never said it was a joke and I defy you to post a link to MY post that said that.

And that is complete BS cooling the truck with that piece of junk to 70 when it's 90 out. NO FREAKING WAY. You probably have a Turbo3000 also!

mike3fan 08-19-2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotSteve
I never said it was a joke and I defy you to post a link to MY post that said that.

And that is complete BS cooling the truck with that piece of junk to 70 when it's 90 out. NO FREAKING WAY. You probably have a Turbo3000 also!

Yes you are probably correct that you didn't "call" it a joke you did say that there was no way it could heat as well as we said it does,but just like this you make claims that you have no idea are true or not,quit making absolute statements based on what you think to be correct.

I also don't believe their claims,but I would be willing to hear from someone that has one and has real world experince with it,unlike you I would believe them after they told me it worked as advertised.

Malaki86 08-20-2008 12:02 AM

I can't say anything about the a/c as I don't have one in the truck, but I do have their heater. That thing will absolutely run you out of the truck even at -5f with the wind blowing at 50+ mph. Trust me on that one - I've experienced it.