Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Need tips on buying a steel flatbed trailer (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/34901-need-tips-buying-steel-flatbed-trailer.html)

GMAN 08-07-2008 01:53 AM

I have done very well with steel trailers. I still prefer them to aluminum. If I had an aluminum trailer I would have missed out on some really good paying loads. Some of the better paying loads require wooden floors. You should be able to scale 45-47M with a steel trailer. An aluminum trailer would enable you to scale 48-50M. Most of the higher paying loads are not that heavy. If you plan on hauling a lot of steel it is usually paid by the hundred weight. In that case it might help to be able to haul a little more weight, but no mill will deliberately over load you. Personally, I don't want to haul a lot of steel. They simply don't pay enough. I do from time to time when I can get a good rate. Most of the time there are other things which pay more. You can buy a steel trailer for several thousand dollars less than an aluminum. As far as Transcraft trailers are concerned, I have owned one for about 3 years and have had excellent service out of it. It will get the job done for you and cost less to purchase. A Doonan is a good trailer but will cost you several thousand dollars more than a comparably equipped Transcraft. If I remember correctly my Transcraft is capable of holding up to 100,000 pounds. So far it has taken everything that I have thrown at it. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

If you watch what you buy you can get a good buy on a used trailer. Don't worry too much about the brand. Most of the major manufacturers make a good trailer. If you want to buy an aluminum trailer check out East. They are less expensive than a Reitenour and are just as good. A friend of mine has had 2 and thinks that they are the best on the market. I have another friend who owns a West and he thinks they make the best trailer.

There are advantages to steel and aluminum. They will both do the job. I think a good steel trailer will out last an aluminum trailer if you take care of it. They may depreciate more than an aluminum but you will also pay a lot less for one. I would also look at a combo if you plan on hauling a lot of steel. You will lose a little weight and still have a good trailer. I have a 1995 Fruehauf steel trailer that is in very good condition. It could use sandblasting and a paint job, but is in excellent mechanical condition. I still have the original wooden floor which is also in very good shape. In fairness I have kept the side kit up most of the time that I have owned it. I still use the trailer and it still makes me money.

geomon 08-07-2008 05:05 AM

Out of curiosity...what types of loads would require an all wood floor?

NotSteve 08-07-2008 05:09 AM

I can scale a 48,000 pound load and that's all you need. It's rare that you need to scale more then that. Having a spread axle means you don't have to really think when putting a load on and most the weight goes to the rear.

The Teflon pad is like a big round piece of plastic that goes on the trailer king pin. You don't have to use grease at all if you use this.

Walking Eagle 08-07-2008 06:06 AM

Looking at any used trailer, over 5 or 6 years old, really look for stress cracks especialy around the suspension hangers, you never know how much someone my have overloaded it ! I would never buy a used trailer that I intended to us regular for a lot of weight unless the seller agreed to have it MagnaFluxed

GMAN 08-07-2008 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geomon
Out of curiosity...what types of loads would require an all wood floor?

Some military loads require wood floors as do some machinery and equipment. Some will NOT load an aluminum deck. If you load pallets on an aluminum deck they can walk on you. It isn't as likely on a wood floor. If you put forklifts or other heavy equipment with tires on an aluminum deck it can bend the floor. That can cause some problems if you load pallets later. I have used a trailer with an aluminum deck and had that happen to me. I have NEVER had a similar problem with a wood floor.

tracer 08-07-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
I have done very well with steel trailers.... You should be able to scale 45-47M with a steel trailer.... Most of the higher paying loads are not that heavy....

That's why I am leaning towards steel trailers. Thanks, Gman.

NotSteve 08-07-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

I have done very well with steel trailers.... You should be able to scale 45-47M with a steel trailer.... Most of the higher paying loads are not that heavy....

No kidding Mike. I could make a killing too hauling 45 to 47 million pounds....GEEZUS

tracer 08-08-2008 01:07 AM

Quote:

Some military loads require wood floors as do some machinery and equipment. .. If you put forklifts or other heavy equipment with tires on an aluminum deck it can bend the floor..

Gman, you said lumber doesn't pay well most of the time, you wrote the same about steel. In your experience, do machinery and equipment loads pay consistently better than other types of loads? And if so, maybe it's better to focus on these kind of loads and get a ... 53 ft stepdeck instead? Thanks!

GMAN 08-08-2008 02:53 AM

Tracer, machinery and equipment nearly always pays more than steel and lumber. That doesn't mean that you can't make money hauling them, but the rates are usually less for lumber and steel. Steel and lumber tend to be heavy and the shipper usually wants it tarped for free. I don't do FREE! I have hauled lumber and steel that has paid well, but for the most part rates are simply not where they need to be. There are other things to haul that pay well. There are a lot of guys who make a good living with a regular flat bed or 48' step deck. Where you live and run can make a difference in the type of trailer that you will do best. Some areas do better with a step, others a flat can work better. You can usually scale more weight with a flat than step. I can haul about 1,000 pounds more with my flat than my step.

Good negotiating skills will help you more than the type of trailer you own. A friend of mine pulls a flat bed. He called about a load in North Carolina that a broker loaded on a step deck for about $1.70/mile going to California. :shock: People like him won't make it, but will muddy the water for those coming after them. The broker or shipper will expect the next guy to take one of their loads for the same rate. This is why rates in some areas are less.

I don't limit myself to a certain type of freight. Instead, I look for the good rate. When you restrict yourself to a certain type of freight or region where you will haul freight you limit your income.

tracer 08-10-2008 01:07 AM

I have finally heard back from our Vice-President of Operations RE: my question about NOT TARPING loads over 4 ft high. I said I could switch to Flatbed Division and buy/lease my own flatbed trailer if you allow me to carry only steel tarps (16x24) and make exempt to tarping 8' high loads.

Here's his answer.

"Hi S...,
I have had a opportunity to look at this and talk to my staff and sorry
but this will not work for M*****n transport. We do not have the
fright volumes of loads under or at 4 feet that we feel we can make this
a success for you or M******n Transport.
I would suggest, if you're interested in owning your own trailer that
you invest in a rolling tarp system for the high loads.
R...."

Which to me means they have too many cheap loads and they like hauling them and they don't know any better.