Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Some changes to the Doghouse (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/34662-some-changes-doghouse.html)

Rev.Vassago 07-20-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doghouse
I'm going to set the temp. at 73degrees and see how it does cycling on and off for the rest of the day.

I'll bring the marshmallows. :wink:

NotSteve 07-20-2008 07:17 PM

Out of matches? No problem, park next to Rev.

Doghouse 07-20-2008 09:30 PM

No fire today the unit ran perfectly.
Coolant temp 130
Inside box temp 140
Ouside temp 102
Inside sleeper temp 70
The capacitor never even got warm, and it cycled at least 100 times.
I think after all the problems I might actually have this thing working the way it's supposed to.

NotSteve 07-20-2008 09:32 PM

How are you managing to keep the inside box temp so low?

Rev.Vassago 07-20-2008 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotSteve

He mounted a second AC in it. :lol:

Rev.Vassago 07-20-2008 09:38 PM

Quote:

No fire today the unit ran perfectly.
Coolant temp 130
Inside box temp 140
Ouside temp 102
Inside sleeper temp 70
The capacitor never even got warm, and it cycled at least 100 times.
I think after all the problems I might actually have this thing working the way it's supposed to.

Now that yours is done, come build mine.

Doghouse 07-20-2008 11:55 PM

Quote:

I mounted a high temp. squirrel cage fan in the lower left hand corner of the box. It draws air from the right side near the top. It runs off the 12 volt aux. circuit that powers my battery charger when the genset is running. The same unit runs the new 12 volt coolant pump. That way they don't drain my batteries because they can only operate when the genset is running, and the dual function charger tops off the batteries when the genset is running.

If this unit works out, I plan on putting together a 2cyl kubota with a 5,000watt gen head. I'll let you know the cost and send you all the info you need to put it on your truck, but I have a lot of testing to do before then,...so try not to burn your truck up in the meantime.

Rev.Vassago 07-21-2008 12:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I mounted a high temp. squirrel cage fan in the lower left hand corner of the box.

Is there a squirrel in it? That would be awesome.

Quote:

If this unit works out, I plan on putting together a 2cyl kubota with a 5,000watt gen head. I'll let you know the cost and send you all the info you need to put it on your truck, but I have a lot of testing to do before then,...so try not to burn your truck up in the meantime.
If you make it small enough to fit into the box I already have built, I promise not to burn my truck down in the meantime.

Yours runs the coolant through the truck's cooling system, right? What do you have for a radiator fan on it? How do you get it to go through the engine thermostat when the truck isn't running?

Doghouse 07-21-2008 12:59 AM

One of the first things I wondered about was how the unit is able to flow coolant through the engine while its off. Here's what I've come up with. There are fuzzy bunnies who use buckets to carry the coolant around the thermostat.
Really,.. I don't know, maybe there is a bypass tube that allows full circulation, maybe there is no thermostat in my truck (I wouldn't be surprised) but there is complete coolant flow because the radiator gets hot at the top first and then the bottom tube after about 30 minutes of running. My truck temp gauge reads 130 and the unit has run today for instance for 10hrs non stop without overheating. There is a set of cooling fans, but the size of the cooling system is enough to keep the genset at 130,....but if there was an issue, I have two electric fans that are mounted in front of my radiator(right next to my AC condensor) that operate of the same 12 volt source that the box fan and coolant pump work off of. The thing is that I haven't had to turn it on yet because the genset already runs cool enough.
I like the fuzzy bunny theory better though 8)

Doghouse 07-21-2008 01:02 AM

What are the inside dimensions of your gen box?
A 2cyl engine will take up less floor space, but be a bit taller. A radiator can be added to the outside, but I do like being able to heat up my engine during the winter.