Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   A day in the life of a hobby trucker (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/34351-day-life-hobby-trucker.html)

NotSteve 07-08-2008 08:46 AM

This is just normal and a sign of the times. Being out for 4 weeks you end up racking up around $30,000 in no time with the higher fuel costs and rates. I don't have any one broker owing me on more than 1 contract. I haven't had any problems since I started but that's not to say I won't. Like I said above, 2 brokers which had a credit rating of A just went out with a bang owing carriers over $30,000. I got paid a long time ago when they weren't in trouble but that's how they go out, screw everyone and lets get as much money as possible.

I'm in Williston North Dakota getting my injector fixed. The wiring harness had to be replaced also because there was a break some place and the computer was not reading it correctly. When they went to replace the injector it was a different number and not the one that was suppose to be there.

Long story but when the engine was rebuilt before I bought it the owner had the sucker punched out and BIG injectors put in. No wonder I can beat anyone on the road up a hill. They figure I'm at least at 575hp and maybe more. So I'm in a hotel next door tonight waiting for the injector to come in today.

I was shown a printout on my truck and everything that the previous owner had done and my self was on there!!! I was surprised that every time you get the truck worked on the information goes into a central database that anyone can pull up.

Since it's the Detroit dealer I'm having them fix my oil leak and put a new oil pan gasket on. These are things I was going to have done when I got home but I may as well take advantage of the down time to have something knocked off my list of things to do.

GMAN 07-08-2008 12:28 PM

Anytime you have work done on your engine at an authorized dealer the information should be noted in their computer. That is why you can go to any engine authorized engine distributor and find out what has been done to the engine before you buy the truck. Of course, unless the work was performed by an authorized dealer the information won't be available. All the distributor needs it the serial number off of the engine.

NotSteve 07-15-2008 08:13 PM

I got pulled over by the DOT in Vermont today for a random inspection. He walks around the truck quick then sits in my passenger seat and asks.

How much did the truck cost
How much did the trailer cost
How much do you get per mile
What does it cost to run the truck per mile

And so on and so on. I say, hey, wait a minute. He looked younger than me and has his 25 in and wants to get his own authority and start driving.

I gave him my phone number and email address and he gave me a 100% inspection pass.

Quebec SUCKS big time!!!!!!!!!!!!

BanditsCousin 07-15-2008 08:48 PM

Do HHG in downtown Montreal with a 53' moving van then tell us how Quebec sucks :)

Actually, it isn't so bad if you can convert meters to feet in a jiffy! Lots of low bridges down there :wink:

Twilight Flyer 07-15-2008 09:16 PM

Quote:

And so on and so on. I say, hey, wait a minute. He looked younger than me and has his 25 in and wants to get his own authority and start driving.

I gave him my phone number and email address .....
Oh Lord help us. That'll give us 2 Hobby Truckers. I'm not sure Rev can handle that.

:lol: :P

Kurbski 07-15-2008 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
Quote:

I gave him my phone number and email address .....
Oh Lord help us. That'll give us 2 Hobby Truckers. I'm not sure Rev can handle that.

:lol: :P

Steve,

Did this happen to you one other time when an officer asked you a bunch of questions and wanted to become an OO :?:

I think Rev is busy due to a hot date with a female firefighter.
He met her the other night while correcting her report narrative. :lol: Hopefully for him, tonight is "drill" night. :roll:
Can you imagine having him in the firehouse as a rookie? :shock:
Well, at least he has a little experience under his belt now. :P

Doghouse 07-16-2008 12:09 AM

I don't think a flame retardant rubber girl is considered a legit date. A hot date,...but not a real one.

rank 07-16-2008 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotSteve
Quebec SUCKS big time!!!!!!!!!!!!

What happened? I'm trying to fo figure what scale you got pulled into. It couldn't have nbeen the one on the NB side of RT 10 S of Montreal because they are never opened. EB RT 20 is always opened but that would mean you entered form Ontario and I know you weren't in ON or you would have called me.

:)

rank 07-16-2008 03:15 AM

[quote="NotSteve"]
Quote:

Originally Posted by RostyC
I'd prefer racing fuel scent. Also, I'd shower with sawdust scented soap while using 60 grit sandpaper for a washcloth. 8)

I fill my wife's soft soap containers with hand cleaner. She hates that.

NotSteve 07-16-2008 06:19 AM

I've been asked a lot of times and I think it's because I have my name on the truck and not the name of a trucking company so people know I'm in business for myself.

I don't think this cop could do it. He was so straight and if there was a poster to scare you his picture would be on it. Your typical Marine type who if he smiled his face would break.

I asked if he had his CDL and he said we all do. A school was put together just for them. They took the test, got their CDL and that was the last time they ever drove a truck.

Quebec sucks because of the traffic. I have never ever seen so much traffic in all my life and people driving everywhere they can including on the grass. The roads look like a WWII airstrip that was just bombed by the Germans. These roads will test the skill of any flatbedder wondering if their load is secured properly.

I wasn't pulled into any scales, they were all closed. The traffic had to be stopped on a 4 lane busy road for me to blind side backup into a slot just big enough for me to fit into. The trucking God must have been with me.

Yes Twilight, yet another hobby trucker and we're all going to work for Heartland Express!!! Who do we call?

My truck goes in tomorrow for a brand new radiator and that's about it. Nothing more needs to be done. It's running great now that the bad injector and harness have been replaced. I've been getting above 6mpg on every tank too. All my oil leaks are gone and the engine is as clean as a whistle.

I'm back finding my own loads once again. The lady I had doing it started to have some personal and financial problems so I'm back on my own.

My Carrier A/C unit will arrive tomorrow so that will give me something to do this weekend. Pulling down the headliner will prove to be interesting I'm sure with every dead bug known to man up there.