Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Insurance for new CDL (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/32101-insurance-new-cdl.html)

Darin Younce 01-30-2008 03:58 AM

I think Progressive advertises on their web site for new drivers or inexperienced . I am pretty sure thats what caught my attention but with all that has been going on I really can't remember. I will look it up .

Darin Younce 01-30-2008 04:03 AM

yep, I copied the following from their web site.

What Types of Businesses Does Progressive Commercial Trucking Insurance Cover?
Progressive offers commercial truck insurance for a variety of local and regional trucking businesses, including motor carriers and owner operators.

Plus, we don't require minimum driving or business experience to get a Progressive Commercial policy. We insure everyone from veterans to rookies. Drivers who just got their CDL — or, depending on your vehicle, even those who don't have a CDL at all — can still get commercial trucking insurance at a great rate. And veteran drivers and businesses may be able to benefit from our Experienced CDL and Experienced Business discounts.

Mountain Flyer 01-30-2008 04:46 AM

Progressive was the ONLY carrier who would insure me right out of the chute with no experience. But, I had excellent credit and good driving record. In any event, they put me on a 300 mile restriction the first year. It sucked, but I managed. After a year I went with another company with no restriction, and now into my 3rd year yet another company with no restrictions and cheaper rates.

Starting out is tuff in many ways..... but if it was easy, we wouldn't wanna do it ... what fun is that? 8)

01-30-2008 09:31 AM

I don't think there is anything wrong with Progressive. You are restricted to a radius but you can go outside this radius for something like 5 weeks out of the year whenever you like. When you run out of your 5 weeks you can buy as many additional weeks as you like. I had 1,000,000 liability with them and the total price for the year was $3,900.

I ended up talking to a local commercial insurance representative and in my case there was many other factors taken into consideration and they recommended me to the company they represent.

GMAN 01-30-2008 09:59 AM

The down side to going with Progressive is the service area restriction. You have a radius restriction, as Steve noted. Some states have an assigned risk pool for inexperienced drivers. According to my insurance agent, this is where several insurance companies share the risk of insuring an inexperienced driver or one who may not be able to get insurance from any other source. Check with an insurance agent who writes commercial insurance and they should be aware of the particulars for your area.

RostyC 01-30-2008 10:33 AM

I can tell you Maryland doesn't have the assigned risk for commercial insurance. I called and talked to them a while back. They only have it for regular auto.

EDIT: Bout time you guys got outta bed! I been up since 2.30

GMAN 01-30-2008 10:39 AM

You are up early this morning, RostyC.

01-30-2008 10:46 AM

Who the Hell gets up that early!!!! Oh wait, I do.

Not much going on in the forum today so you must have been pretty bored Rosty.

RostyC 01-30-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Who the Hell gets up that early!!!! Oh wait, I do.

Not much going on in the forum today so you must have been pretty bored Rosty.

I know, and that blows my theory that you guys are standing by waiting to post stuff so I can read it. Probably a good thing though, I was starting to think it was just one guy on the other end posting all this stuff, messing with my head. :shock: :D

RostyC 01-30-2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
You are up early this morning, RostyC.

I'm only up due to severe pain. Every year bout this time I get fluid on my ankle, I didn't realize we were out of Advil. I'm heading out now to get some. That'll fix er up! Be as pert as a ruttin buck.