Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   The biggest risk in Cheap Freight, is Your Reputation,. (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/30938-biggest-risk-cheap-freight-your-reputation.html)

rank 12-10-2007 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_worries
Private fleets generate revenue the same way for-hire carriers do...they haul freight. Just because s company manufactures its own product it doesn't mean they don't allocate a portion of their budget for shipping. Many times the fleet operates as a subsidiary and bills the parent company for the service. Rank would be a good one to ask as that's exactly what his trucks are. Although I get the sense that a small company like that probably just treats the fleet as a cost. My guess is that the revenue numbers for private fleets as a whole is skewed simply because different companies account for their fleets differently. But maybe the carrier census has taken that into account and uses a standardized metric.

In our case, you're exactly right.......shipping is just a cost to us. We have hired carriers occasionally in the past but we do 300 - 500 outbound loads a year and have found that we are cheaper, better and more flexible than a carrier.

IIRC we did ~100 backhauls (yes they were backhauls, but they weren't cheap ones ) from Oct '06 to Oct '07 and that revenue represented 10% of our total revenue.

I must disagree with the notion that any backhaul rate is better than coming home empty. The $700 I get offered for 500 miles isn't worth the day I lose in delivering the backhaul. Next thing you know, my 1.5 day trip is 2.5 days and I have to buy another truck just so I can pull cheap backhauls. All they do is delay me from my next high paying outbound shipment. No thank you, we will continue to come home empty unless the load pays over $1,000. 8)

CHRBROKER32 12-12-2007 05:18 AM

I was asked not to post on here anymore. sorry guys.

BigDiesel 12-12-2007 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHRBROKER32

Buh-Bye !!!! :lol:

DD60 12-12-2007 07:35 PM

Here is a load anyone with some business sense would jump right away on: :lol:

Pickup date and location:Carrollton,Tx 12/14/07. 40,000lbs. picks up anytime before 5:00pm. Frozen at -10. Pallet exchange and driver assist.
Del. date. and location:Valpraiso,In. 12/17/07. Loaded miles:980

Rate:950.00 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Call MnB Logistics for load info. Hurry this offer is limited. :lol: Must be CHDORKER'S sister.

mike3fan 12-13-2007 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD60
Hurry this offer is limited.

limited to what? to idiots?

DD60 12-13-2007 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan
Quote:

Originally Posted by DD60
Hurry this offer is limited.

limited to what? to idiots?

I was being sarcastic. Hello Mcfly. :lol:

GMAN 12-13-2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHRBROKER32

Who asked you not to post?

no_worries 12-13-2007 10:30 PM

A supervisor caught wind, I'm sure. It was only a matter of time. He must have let it get out at work because I didn't think he gave anything away here revealing his identity...oh well. Good insights, while they lasted. Hopefully some folks use the knowledge.

Dispatch_This 12-13-2007 10:35 PM

Yeah, some very good insight. We need to BUMP this thread once in a while.

allan5oh 12-13-2007 10:38 PM

Too bad he edited everything before leaving.