Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   How much do you make. (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/27349-how-much-do-you-make.html)

armadillo 06-01-2007 01:24 PM

Yes your right...If anyone purchases a dump truck...make sue you can haul everything in it. Everything includes cobbles and asphalt! :D

floored 06-02-2007 01:54 AM

I run a transfer here in Sacramento, it also does a lot of ten wheel work. I DO NOT OWN MY BOXES. This is good & bad. The good is, because my broker owns the set so I get to work more often than those who own their own set. The bad is I pay 25% gross as a transfer and 15% gross as a ten wheel to my broker vs. 5% those who own their boxes will pay for a broker fee. Believe me I hate paying that much to my broker, heck its a trailer payment each month, but unlike Armadillo my truck is running (sorry girl).

Here is a straight up no lies on what I am making & spending here in CA. Its ugly lately because I have a driver in my truck right now while I raise my son. I have not given myself a paycheck since August when I got out of OTR work. I'm hoping that maybe just maybe I can give myself something this next payday (25th of each month). I made a bad choice in the first broker I delt with, I sat more than working and I ate up all of my savings. I am trying to get it built back up, its scary but I think I can get there. I am not including all my expenses, if I did it may just make me go cry.. lol

Okay money..

Jan 2007 (with old broker at 22.5% broker fees), I had a whoping 1.75 hrs for the entire month. And those aholes wonder why I quit.
Gross Income $140.00
Net Income $10850
Fuel $0.00 (had a fuel tank from before Christmas)
Insurance $488.47

----

Feb 2007 (with new broker, paying 25% of my gross for fees), I worked 4 days at the end of the month with them for a total of 31.4hrs.
Gross $2513.90
Net $1992.67
Fuel $0 - still running off that Dec tank, lol!
Insurance $328.94

----

March 2007 total of 98 hours
Gross $7819.68
Net $5902.00
Fuel $1240.00!! (had my brother driving for me, he ran up a $1000 fuel bill in just one week, leadfooting it, he no longer drives for me, see what my fuel costs are after this month and after he left)
Insurance $458.17

---

April 2007 total of 120hrs
Gross $9308.50
Net $7459.60
Fuel $892.98
Insurance $332.17

Don't have my May figures yet as far as income goes, but my insurance went up to $695.00 with my new driver and a 10k increase on the value of the trailer. I also paid out a $1700 deposit to workers comp, plus wages to my driver and taxes. My check from the broker should run about the same as the one from April. I also had $700 in unexpected repairs on the truck (brakes, fan clutch and wheel bearing).

Soo theres the god honest truth. Its great when its good, my truck can make $700-$1000 in a day, but right now the season is just not allowing daily work with 10 hr days so I'm not seeing the 10k-20k a month paychecks that I was told about from my friends who worked last Summer. My friends all gross about 140k a year doing this, the top puller at my broker grossed 160k last year. I run this truck every day & night if I can, its a lot of work, and as some said all I've done is bought myself a job. Would I do it all over again? Maybe. But I'd put a lot more research into what I pull next time around.

BOL to you, let me know if you have any questions.

floored 06-02-2007 01:59 AM

I would rther be a ten wheeler than a transfer. At least at my broker they seem to work the same, yet the ten wheeler I make MORE per hour than with the transfer even though the rate is less.

Ten wheel pays $75/hr - 15% broker fee = $63.75 hr
Transfer pays $82/hr - 25% broker fee = 61.50 hr

Ten wheel is less to insure and you get better mpg, my truck does 6mpg all day long as a transfer, but as a ten wheel swear to god its close to 9mpg.

LOL - I went to work today myself, oh my god transfer work is hard work! I can not believe I did that in my 9th month of pregnancy, because today it whooped my butt big time. When I go back to work I want to ditch the trailer and just run a box.

brian 06-02-2007 02:34 AM

whenever your ready I can probably get you a killer deal on a rock box (door lifts over the box with hydraulics so they dont bend the pins on a hanging door or rip it off outright)

or a regular box if you prefer.

jakobrmc 06-02-2007 02:51 AM

Do they run any end dumps down there. One of the main reason I pull a end dump is because when its slow you can unhook and do something eles.

armadillo 06-02-2007 03:04 AM

re;

Ya I CAN NOT!! Believe FLOORED ran up to the 9th month of pregnancy. WILD! Im overweight and I get winded just jumping out of the truck to transfer...!! A :oops:

You go girl!!!

BanditsCousin 06-02-2007 07:15 AM

(myth)

I'm on o/o so I make all the money. Thats the key- be an owner operator and you'll make wayyy more than anyone. 89cpm or $2/mi you'll make way more than a company driver.

(reality)

the opposite of what is above

armadillo 06-02-2007 02:41 PM

Ya- what is that saying?? Oh yea; GOIN' FOR BROKE.

:roll:

Kranky 06-02-2007 02:55 PM

How to make a million dollars in trucking:
.Start with 2 million.

floored 06-02-2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakobrmc
Do they run any end dumps down there. One of the main reason I pull a end dump is because when its slow you can unhook and do something eles.

Amen to that! I wish I had paid attention more when I sold my Pete, it could have done end dump work or other local work. I just wasn't thinking right at the time I suppose, so I jumped into the transfer without much research or thought.