Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   IFTA Help (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/24234-ifta-help.html)

no_worries 01-25-2007 08:40 PM

Internet Truckstop has a fuel tax feature. It's not free but it might be worth checking into in lieu of purchasing another program. I know a couple of o/o's that use it.

NFRay 01-25-2007 09:18 PM

Steve,

Keep in mind that you need to record the odometer reading as you enter/leave a state, not necessarily at the end of the day. You may cross several state lines in a single day and should record your reading at each one.

Some have posted that they use a small, palm sized, dictation/transcription recorder, available in some truckstops and office supply stores, to record the miles at each state line and later enter it into a more permanent form, ( example, "leaving GA, entering SC, I-95, odometer 504,233.") as classicsx2000 stated, above, in her post.

The recorder can also be used to record directions to a receiver and other reminders, then played back as needed without having to read written/scribbled instructions while, at the same time, trying to read street signs and deal with traffic.

01-25-2007 09:49 PM

Yup, all good suggestions. I've only been running for a few months in 2006 and this is going to take hours to do.

Dejanh 01-25-2007 11:05 PM

I just do appx. miles driven, been like that forever and never any problems, have friends who do it like that also..whole quarter takes me about 2 hours to fill.

01-26-2007 06:16 PM

I was going to head out today on a load but took my truck off the boards early this morning. It took me about 10 hours to do my IFTA, NY and NM tax forms!! I know I didn't come close to where I've been. NEVER AGAIN. I'm going to record everything every day as I go. Not going through this 4 times a year.

Rev.Vassago 01-26-2007 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I was going to head out today on a load but took my truck off the boards early this morning. It took me about 10 hours to do my IFTA, NY and NM tax forms!! I know I didn't come close to where I've been. NEVER AGAIN. I'm going to record everything every day as I go. Not going through this 4 times a year.

Keep a small notebook on your dash - when you leave the house, write down you beginning mileage. When you cross a state line, write down your mileage. When you arrive at a shipper or receiver, write down your mileage. At the end of each day, fill out a form that shows what highways you traveled in each state, and what miles you traveled in that state.

01-26-2007 07:25 PM

Yup, I'll be doing that. I was totally freaking out this morning trying to remember where I went.

How come I have to pay tax for NY and NM on the IFTA then I have to pay more again on there own tax forms? Sounds a little redundant. What happens if you don't have a NM or NY sticker?

no_worries 01-26-2007 07:40 PM

If I remember correctly you have to have that NY sticker to run there. I didn't think they issued trip permits. Easy to move through NY without one since they don't have fixed weigh stations...just don't get popped. They don't move too swiftly on getting those stickers out either. If you file IFTA for NY miles without having the permit, I don't know if that triggers a flag. For NM you can stop at the port of entry and get a trip permit. They don't have a sticker, just a cab card that you have to flash at the booth when you go through. If you ever get a load to OR you'll need to get a trip permit as well...BEFORE you get to the port of entry. KY is another state that has a road use tax.

01-26-2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_worries
If I remember correctly you have to have that NY sticker to run there. I didn't think they issued trip permits. Easy to move through NY without one since they don't have fixed weigh stations...just don't get popped. They don't move too swiftly on getting those stickers out either. If you file IFTA for NY miles without having the permit, I don't know if that triggers a flag. For NM you can stop at the port of entry and get a trip permit. They don't have a sticker, just a cab card that you have to flash at the booth when you go through. If you ever get a load to OR you'll need to get a trip permit as well...BEFORE you get to the port of entry. KY is another state that has a road use tax.

Ya, I have KY and OR but since I didn't run there those took 2 seconds to write 0. I only had to pay NY $1.64 since I used the thruway.

Rev.Vassago 01-26-2007 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_worries

If you don't have the NM permit, you will have to stop at the port of entry, and pay the tax on the spot.