Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   inexperienced driver insurance (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/24048-inexperienced-driver-insurance.html)

classicsx2000 01-19-2007 05:18 PM

inexperienced driver insurance

howdy fellas~!

does anyone know if there is any insurance aout there that will insure a 21 year old. i called a couple and they all said you need at leasst 2 years of over the road experience. well how am i suppose to get experienced if no one will insure me. can i insure the truck trailer on another friver and drive like that alone. is that legal ? i kmnow if i get in a wreck it wont be covered but need to know if i get pulled over in a wweight station if they could say anything.

thanks in advance
be safe

no_worries 01-19-2007 05:26 PM

How do you get experience? You go work for somebody :roll: And no, your other scheme is not legal and it would be discovered if they do a paperwork inspection.

Bigmon 01-19-2007 05:28 PM

What state are you in? If your state requires insurance then they will have a plan called assigned risk. It's a program where the state assigns a policy for you. At least they have these plans in my state. Insurance companies have to agree to it in order to do business in my state.

Check your state. Plan on $5000-10,000.

It's kind of like the flood insurance program.

no_worries 01-19-2007 05:58 PM

$5000-$10000 in CA for a new authority with no driving experience? I'd like to know where you got that quote. I had a friend who did the same thing last year, ran him closer to $18-20000. I just got a quote yesterday for a new authority with 10 years of driving experience...$9500. I have to talk to your agent.

classicsx2000 01-19-2007 08:57 PM

i could go work for someone but who will insure me. what about to co drive with someone anyone know anything about it. the thing the i dont understand is i can get a cdl but how to use it. im not trying to scam anybody just to get to work. thanks again

GMAN 01-19-2007 09:19 PM

Progressive will insure inexperienced drivers. I don't know if they have an age restriction, but you can count on a 300 mile travel limitation with them until you get a year of experience behind you. Some insurance companies require a driver to be at least 23 years old.

No_worries, you may want to check around. If you have at least 2 years of driving experience and a clean MVR Northland gave me the best rates. We are currently looking to renew our policy. It expires next month. I should have a rate next week. I use a broker and they are shopping around for the best rates. Northland, Great West, Canal are some insurance companies you could check with. I think Canal is a bit high. I spoke with my insurance person today and was told that some insurance companies are beginning to lighten up on their rates. I certainly hope so, they have been rather high for some time. I pay less than $5,000 per truck and I feel that is high. Hopefully, I will get a reduced rate since I haven't had any claims.

Dejanh 01-19-2007 09:24 PM

Canal will insure anyone but for what price..

My million dollar policy is 318 per month on a new truck, i think progressive woold be a good choice, my Allstate agent reccomends them every time i ask about good rates..

GMAN 01-19-2007 09:37 PM

When I spoke to my insurance broker, they told me that they got one quote back but it was high. I believe it was from Canal.

no_worries 01-19-2007 11:05 PM

Thanks Gman. I've got my broker working on my quotes right now. He works with several companies including Northland, who he's pretty high on. I'll be checking with Great West direct as they handled the insurance for the company we leased to last year and I've got a relationship with them. Just got my quote from OOIDA today, liability and cargo are approximately $8000. The quote I mentioned earlier of $9500 includes physical damage on $100,000 of equipment. I guess I should have mentioned that.

The issue is that we'll be a new carrier, just getting our authority in the next month or two. While I've got several years of driving experience and a few as an O/O, we've never had our own authority. I've been told by numerous sources that, no matter what your experience, those first two years having your own authority you pay a premium for insurance. I would be interested in knowing who you get your best quote from. I'd be happy to share my results as well although I'm still a month away from getting anything other than approximations.

FYI, Progressive has excellent rates on PD. Mine worked out to 1.7% of the insured value. It doesn't include some of the extras like towing and glass coverage. It's purely collision and comprehensive, but if you're looking for straight coverage I haven't seen anyone else even close to those rates.

gottaroll 01-20-2007 01:06 AM

I've always gotten GREAT rates from northland.

GMAN 01-20-2007 01:08 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the physical damage, no_worries. I didn't think Progressive wrote physical damage on class 8 trucks. I am not sure that the length of time you have had your authority has any bearing on your premium. I think it is based more on your MVR and years of experience than anything else. Your credit score may also come into play. Some insurance companies routinely check your score and factor that into the rate. I like the idea of sharing rate information. It is a good way to help one another save money. And my broker did tell me that Northland has been difficult to beat on their rates lately. A friend of mine is thinking about getting his authority. I don't recall who he received a quote from but it was around $6,000 for everything including physical damage. That is just a little over what I was quoted last year if I included physical damage on the policy. He and I have about the same number of years experience.

no_worries 01-20-2007 05:53 AM

Most interesting. I'm definitely going to have to look at this a little more closely. OOIDA's quote comes in pretty close to what my agent quoted me so I figured it was pretty much on target but I'll definitely be doing some more digging. I do think that cargo insurance for reefers is a little pricier given the higher instance of claims and we're a team so it's two drivers. Those things may affect the rate a little bit but not $2000. I'll be making some phone calls first of next week, that's for sure.

GMAN 01-20-2007 12:18 PM

I agree that your cargo insurance could run a bit higher than mine. My rates would likely be higher if I were still hauling cars. OOIDA was high on their rates with me. I think they wanted to charge about $6,000 for just cargo and liability. Some brokers won't accept their insurance, either.

Bigmon 01-20-2007 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_worries
$5000-$10000 in CA for a new authority with no driving experience? I'd like to know where you got that quote. I had a friend who did the same thing last year, ran him closer to $18-20000. I just got a quote yesterday for a new authority with 10 years of driving experience...$9500. I have to talk to your agent.

I was quoted $7000 for liability the day after I got my license. It's from the Assigned Risk program. Every broker in CA can do it, but most won't do it because the commission is really small. Kind of like an O/O running for 40cpm.

The broker is Western Truck Insurance. They're in Inglewood,CA near LAX airport.

classicsx2000 01-20-2007 10:22 PM

thanks for naming the insuirance companys now i just need to find their phone numbers and give them a call. going as a driver is out of the question as i got my dads truck and reefer payments knocking at the door ( he fell in sick and cant drive for a while ) so realy need to find somebody to insure me. apreciate everything so far guys and thanks again.keep posting if with any info please.

GMAN 01-20-2007 10:52 PM

Have you checked with your Dad's insurance company? If not and progressive won't insure you, then it may be necessary to find a driver to put in the truck. Some companies require 3 years of experience if you are younger than 23. If you live on a farm or grew up driving farm equipment, some will consider that as experience.

classicsx2000 01-20-2007 11:43 PM

tryed my dads insurance but they require 3 yrs exp. i was thinking about a driver but where to find a good driver with years of experience thats wiiling to run LA to NY 3 to 4 times a month. i got a good list of insurance companies i will call on monday to see what they say and progresive is going to be the first.

no_worries 01-21-2007 04:33 AM

Bigmon, is that the policy you're operating under currently? How much was your cargo coverage? My buddy got his insurance via assigned risk as well. The number I quoted was for liability, cargo and PD but if your numbers are correct then he may be getting hosed.

Bigmon 01-21-2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_worries
Bigmon, is that the policy you're operating under currently? How much was your cargo coverage? My buddy got his insurance via assigned risk as well. The number I quoted was for liability, cargo and PD but if your numbers are correct then he may be getting hosed.

I didn't get the insurance because I chose to wait a while before getting my own truck. I only pay $300 per year for car insurance. If I'm gonna pay 10k for insurance I'm gonna run some people off the road and get my moneys worth. :lol: just kidding.

The cargo quote was about $1500. I don't remember how much cargo it covered, but it was for general freight. PD was about 3-4% of the value of the truck. I was using a $30,000 truck for the quote. It all came to between $10-12000. Depending on deductible, rental coverage and all the extras.

I think the amount of liability was either 750,000 or a million. I don't remember because I was asking for the minimum to get authority.

GMAN 01-22-2007 04:01 AM

The minimum liability is $750M, cargo the minimum is $5M, but most brokers and shippers require $100M cargo.

Paul McGraw 01-22-2007 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
I agree that your cargo insurance could run a bit higher than mine. My rates would likely be higher if I were still hauling cars. OOIDA was high on their rates with me. I think they wanted to charge about $6,000 for just cargo and liability. Some brokers won't accept their insurance, either.

So some brokers have a problem with OOIDA insurace? Do you know what their problem is GMAN?

person 01-22-2007 07:07 AM

Rob Farris
209-745-4909
No_worries, be SURE to check with this insurance guy for a great quote.

GMAN 01-22-2007 01:40 PM

Paul, some brokers want insurance to be with a AAA+ rated company, if I recall correctly. OOIDA is essentially not rated since they are (or were) considered to be self insured. They are now using Lloyds of London for some products. I don't know how some brokers may consider that change. Landstar won't take their insurance. I am not sure how much of that is due to the ratings or the on going lawsuit between Landstar and OOIDA in behalf of their BCO's or owner operators. I believe C H Robinson is another broker who will not accept insurance from OOIDA. There are about half a dozen brokers who would not accept their insurance. If you call the OOIDA insurance department, they can tell you the brokers who will not accept their coverage. I do some business with Landstar and C H Robinson, so I can't have any insurance with anyone who is not accepted by those with whom I do business. Besides, I have been able to beat their rates on the cargo and liability with my current insurance company. A friend of mine was able to save a lot of money by using OOIDA. I guess it depends on where you live and your MVR. Their disability coverage is very competitive. I had collision on my equipment with them and they replaced several windshields from rock damage. They handled the claims great. Fortunately, I haven't had any claims other than that to see how they take care of other things. Hopefully, I won't need to file any claims to check the coverage.

rigidsporty 01-22-2007 09:58 PM

Re: inexperienced driver insurance

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicsx2000
howdy fellas~!

does anyone know if there is any insurance aout there that will insure a 21 year old. i called a couple and they all said you need at leasst 2 years of over the road experience. well how am i suppose to get experienced if no one will insure me. can i insure the truck trailer on another friver and drive like that alone. is that legal ? i kmnow if i get in a wreck it wont be covered but need to know if i get pulled over in a wweight station if they could say anything.

thanks in advance
be safe

See what SB started. His "if I can do it anyone can" mindset is bad news all around. Now kids think they dont need to learn to drive before buying. :roll:

classicsx2000 01-23-2007 05:30 AM

thanks for your concern rigidsporty but i didnt buy anything my father did and fell sick and cant drive for a while. ive been riding with my dad on what ever ocasion id get since i was 16, and i know its not the same as driving the thing but just like you and others learned i can too. still no luck progresive wont insure molre then 300 miles out home state canal i left a mesage nobody got back with me yet and there was a local broker that quoted me for everything at 19000$ a year with 100000 and 1000000 liability and cargo. way to high as my dad paid somewhere in the 8k to 9k a year.

no_worries 01-23-2007 05:30 PM

I doubt you're going to find anything that's much better than that with no experience. You certainly can't expect to pay anywhere near what your dad did.

Bigmon, I called Western Truck Insurance yesterday, I'm waiting to hear back on my quotes. The numbers we discussed preliminarily sounded fair so thank you for the heads-up. I did ask them about someone with no experience and they said that the numbers you mentioned sure didn't sound right for somebody with no experience, new authority and and unlimited operating radius. They thought the $16-18000 my buddy is paying sounded about right. Of course, that's for $1,000,000 liability and $140,000 physical damage.

01-23-2007 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rigidsporty
See what SB started. His "if I can do it anyone can" mindset is bad news all around. Now kids think they dont need to learn to drive before buying. :roll:

Cheese with that wine?

RostyC 01-23-2007 06:13 PM

Quote:

Wine with that cheese?
lol Steve.....it's "Cheese with that wine", go take a nap! :lol: :lol:

01-23-2007 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RostyC
Quote:

Wine with that cheese?
lol Steve.....it's "Cheese with that wine", go take a nap! :lol: :lol:

Oh crap.....Nap time is happy time!

rigidsporty 01-23-2007 09:24 PM

Quote:

still no luck progresive wont insure molre then 300 miles out home state canal i left a mesage nobody got back with me yet and there was a local broker that quoted me for everything at 19000$ a year with 100000 and 1000000 liability and cargo. way to high as my dad paid somewhere in the 8k to 9k a year.

Yet somehow Mr. Booth... who by the way also has ZERO experience... mananged to get insured for less then your dad AND with out a mile restriction. :?

BTW if its an issue of your dad losing the truck perhaps you can find an experienced driver to drive his truck till your dad can get back on his feet. You are correct though... seeing how to drive a truck isnt the same as doing but I applaud your wanting to help your dad... I'd do the same thing. :wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Quote:

Cheese with that wine?

Thats why your my hero Steve... those snappy come-backs. :wink: While your throwing your wit around, you care to help out our young friend here with his insurance problem? You seem to know how to avoid those pesky "no experience" issues.

01-23-2007 09:37 PM

Quote:

Thats why your my hero Steve... those snappy come-backs. :wink: While your throwing your wit around, you care to help out our young friend here with his insurance problem? You seem to know how to avoid those pesky "no experience" issues.

Would if I could but I can't so I won't.

ssoutlaw 01-23-2007 10:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

howdy fellas~!

thanks in advance
be safe

Let it be, you'll get your chance someday :P :P

rigidsporty 01-23-2007 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
Let it be, you'll get your chance someday :P :P

My "chance?" What... signing a check to get my dreams? My lifes ambition. :roll:

brian 01-24-2007 12:12 AM

what is it with you and money rigidsporty, your all about the money, are you bitter because you used to build bikes with welfare checks (yes I remember the post) and steve could buy his own business cash, it ain`t his fault you used to be broke. hell your not even an O/O just come in here to be a shit disturber.

RostyC 01-24-2007 12:27 AM

Ok, I have some spare time for a little while so the other day I called an insurance agent that I got through Canal and asked for a quote. She called me back today with the numbers.

1million liability
100,000 uninsured mot.
25,000 comp and collision
15000 on trailer
1000 ded.
25000.00 truck
20000.00 trailer
$11,333.00 through Progressive with 300 mile radius.
This is for no experience, well I drove briefly in 99 (?) but it doesn't count.
I posted this because I got a quote from Progressive a few months ago by calling Progressives number and was quoted 4500.00 and 300 mile radius.

I asked the agent why the difference in price and she basically said that Progresive is not familiar with commercial truck insurance, therefore often misquote it. This is there own agents we're talking about, so be careful.

This agent pretty much told me what she thought Progressive quoted me when we spoke on Friday and said it was wrong, I don't think she was BS'ing.

Also I called the assigned risk program here in Maryland (MIAF) and they will insure a class 8 truck but nowhere near the coverage you need for commercial operation. That's Maryland, other states may be different.

Now cargo was based on 200,000 and was $2250.35 through Lloyds of London. 100,000 would have been about 1200.00.

ssoutlaw 01-24-2007 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian
what is it with you and money rigidsporty, your all about the money, are you bitter because you used to build bikes with welfare checks (yes I remember the post) and steve could buy his own business cash, it ain`t his fault you used to be broke. hell your not even an O/O just come in here to be a $&!+ disturber.

What ever you do Brian, don't say anything about his Half Harley. He is rather sensitive about it....lol :P :P :P :P

01-24-2007 07:55 AM

Insurance can be totally different depending on the state or even city you live in. I moved from a higher crime area in NH 10 miles away to a very upscale town. My car insurance went down and my motorcycle insurance went up $600!!!! That's was over a 60% increase!!! When I asked about it they said because there was too many over 50 teenagers with money and now buying a motorcycle with no experience and either getting killed or in an accident.

Insurance can vary widely depending on your age, education, location and past driving record.

When I switched insurance for my truck I also gave them my car, motorcycle, home, boat and snowmobile. I'm sure that weighed heavily in there decision.

When I was looking for insurance I talked to some agents that would insure someone without experience but not from my state. I almost considered moving. Didn't make much sense since the second I would get the insurance I would be all over the place.

I think Progressive and other companies should insure new people but with strong restrictions like:

20 miles from any city over a population of 1,000,000
No mountains over 6,000 feet high
No snow or ice driving, must shut down.

Restrictions along those lines.

no_worries 01-24-2007 05:06 PM

Steve, I might have missed it in your thread that got locked. What did you end up having to pay for insurance?

Many of the factors that come into play in personal auto insurance don't carry weight with commercial. They primarily want to know the following; how long you've had your CDL, where you're going to operate, your driving record, and your authority history. There are of course other things they ask but those are the biggies.

GMAN, I asked about whether being a new authority affected rates and was told it does. The reason is that there's no history they can check on as far as safety and compliance and, of course, no prior commercial coverage. Rates are higher the first two years then they drop to the norm.

RostyC 01-24-2007 05:14 PM

no_worries, what company insured your buddy for 16-18,000?

01-24-2007 07:03 PM

My cargo is $1,200 for 100,000 coverage and Progressive was $4,200 for 1,000,000 liability.