Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   From desk to own authority (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/23137-desk-own-authority.html)

Maniac 01-09-2007 12:47 AM

Quote:

Answer me this? What do you do as an experienced driver of 19+ years,
when you stumble upon a load or situation you have never been in?

Apparently there are people on here who have NEVER run into that, they already know everything.

RostyC 01-09-2007 01:06 AM

Arizona, we have similar situations. I too am contemplating doing what you did.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 01-09-2007 01:26 AM

Quote:
i like his approach better!

Maniac....

Pretty sure that was pure sarcasm....... :roll: LOL

Be good, Jim

rank 01-09-2007 02:20 AM

Quote:

I'm driving along and there's like a small road to my right and there's this truck driver just standing there looking down at the ground and not moving. I could see the tracks where he came down the big hill and was now at the bottom. Poor thing probably doesn't know what to do. Like horses, deer, goats and other animals like them they are very communal and need an alpha Steve to lead.
:lol:

Mackman 01-09-2007 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac
Apparently there are people on here who have NEVER run into that, they already know everything.

My dad all ways said to me why company's hire young kids (me be only 23) is because while they are still young they know everything. lol

solo379 01-09-2007 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac

By the way, SOLO, the tolls were $6700.00, BUT I knew that you knew :wink:

Well, i didn't have a final # yet, but it looks, like you beat me, about a grand! :sad: 8)

Rev.Vassago 01-09-2007 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidman82

We do what Steve has demonstrated. Take your time, do not rush, that's when mistakes happen, ask questions, don't feel like a bonehead if you don't know something, use common sense above all, and be safe.

Herein lies Steve's problem. He DID come here asking questions, and when the answers weren't what he was looking for, and he was told that he was wrong, he developed an attitude about it. Even when those answers were shown to be wrong with FMCSA documentation, he still continued to snub his nose at it.

Look back to some of his earliest posts, particularily about maintaining records (specifically drug and alcohol testing). Steve thought he was special and didn't need to keep drug and alcohol records, and even when he was shown the DOT regs that said he did, he maintained that he knew better.

The same holds true for his homemade log book that he wanted to run. When he was shown that his log book that he made up didn't have all the information that was required by the FMCSA, he maintained that he knew better, and could make a better logbook than JJ Keller. :roll:

From there, it just snowballed downhill.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 01-09-2007 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rank
Quote:

I'm driving along and there's like a small road to my right and there's this truck driver just standing there looking down at the ground and not moving. I could see the tracks where he came down the big hill and was now at the bottom. Poor thing probably doesn't know what to do. Like horses, deer, goats and other animals like them they are very communal and need an alpha Steve to lead.

Rank, that's pretty funny!!! LOL

And speaking of Steve....our super hero, where is he????

Someone sent me a P/M, and I cant say how true this is....

Said they thought they might have seen him at a Petco standing on the front bumper of his truck giving a lecture to an awe struck audience of HUNDRED'S of less worthy truckers!!!!! :D
And something about they all were on one knee with head's bowed! LOL

Be good, Jim

yoopr 01-09-2007 03:28 AM

He has run something like 4-5,000 mi. (+/-???) and has not got his tit in the wringer so far.....

Woohoo-That's like a week and a Half driving-Hope he hasn't got in a wringer after all that driving.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 01-09-2007 03:46 AM

Oh come on yoopr.......

Everyone knows woohoo is spelled

WHOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

Be good, Jim

ssoutlaw 01-09-2007 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rigidsporty
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arizona
You can learn a lot by reading up on it and asking questions, I think Steve is doing well for a compujockey morphed into a truck driver.

Yes you can... lets just hope he doesn't decide to read a book on how to fly an airplane. :wink:

As far as doing well... lets see... everything he owns is paid for, he obviously has a rather large nest egg to fall back on, he got insured for less than half the amount he should have (and lets not even mention the fact he has no mileage limit... absolutely unheard of for someone with zero experience). Yea... it would be damn near impossible for him to fail!

Look Steve I think its great you were able to do so... we all wish we could... but dont come on here bragging on how you "defeated all odds" and made it. :roll:

You know, I have been sitting back and watching all the BS, and I have come to the conclusion that the bashers are jealous, this is just my 2 cents. I watch all the posts where new drivers ask the almighty question on how they should become a O/O? All the gods come out and told them to stay away from the lease purchases, and to save their money to buy the truck on their own, this way when sh@t happens their operating costs are lower and they will survive the slow times. Steve comes into the picture and already has the money, and is obviously not a younger man and takes the plunge. It pisses off most on here because he didn't wait till he was old and gray and had 20 yrs otr like alot do....lol Tell me how does a new driver ever learn the winter business with out doing it?? How does sitting in the dummy seat on ice and snow covered roads get him any experience? How can a trainer stop a screw up that a trainee makes on the same ice and snow covered road from the same dummy seat??? From Steve's posts he always said he was going slower than the rest of the other trucks, I even thought too slow, but that's just me! Living on the east coast like Steve does he has had quite a few years with winter driving, maybe not in a truck, but winter driving anyway!! No one on this board had any experience with ice or snow in a truck the first time they encountered it while they were behind the wheel. You get what I mean? Steve has used caution through the back roads of CO in a very wintry mix and came out smelling like a rose, GOOD BOY STEVE!!!! Some of you guys need to leave it alone, just because Steve had the money to live his dream and you didn't, its not his fault. Steve is going to make mistakes in business and the driving part, so what, it happens to everyone!! but you read his posts and he learns from them. Don't get mad at Steve because he can make more business mistakes than you guys with a truck payment, he has worked and saved and this will ensure more success than the normal JOE with the 1500 to 2k truck payment a month! Most people are jealous when someone is doing better than them or has more than they do, so they cast doubt so they don't feel so small...lol STEVE, look, learn, and listen and keep up the good work...

rank 01-09-2007 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEVIL'S ADVOCATE
Quote:

Originally Posted by rank
Quote:

Rank, that's pretty funny!!! LOL

And speaking of Steve....our super hero, where is he????

Someone sent me a P/M, and I cant say how true this is....

Said they thought they might have seen him at a Petco standing on the front bumper of his truck giving a lecture to an awe struck audience of HUNDRED'S of less worthy truckers!!!!! :D
And something about they all were on one knee with head's bowed! LOL

Be good, Jim

OMG that's good. And now I shall end the day with that mental image.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rev.Vassago 01-09-2007 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssoutlaw

You know, I have been sitting back and watching all the BS, and I have come to the conclusion that the bashers are jealous, this is just my 2 cents. I watch all the posts where new drivers ask the almighty question on how they should become a O/O? All the gods come out and told them to stay away from the lease purchases, and to save their money to buy the truck on their own, this way when sh@t happens their operating costs are lower and they will survive the slow times. Steve comes into the picture and already has the money, and is obviously not a younger man and takes the plunge. It pisses off most on here because he didn't wait till he was old and gray and had 20 yrs otr like alot do....lol

I hardly consider myself "Old and gray" at a measley 31 years old. :roll:

I doubt anyone here is jealous of Steve. After all, he IS driving a Freightliner product. :lol:
Quote:

Tell me how does a new driver ever learn the winter business with out doing it?? How does sitting in the dummy seat on ice and snow covered roads get him any experience? How can a trainer stop a screw up that a trainee makes on the same ice and snow covered road from the same dummy seat???
That is called TEACHING and LEARNING, something many of the coolie carriers don't do, and something Steve won't learn off a message board (assuming he actually listened)
Quote:

Don't get mad at Steve because he can make more business mistakes than you guys with a truck payment, he has worked and saved and this will ensure more success than the normal JOE with the 1500 to 2k truck payment a month! Most people are jealous when someone is doing better than them or has more than they do, so they cast doubt so they don't feel so small...lol STEVE, look, learn, and listen and keep up the good work...
Steve's been doing this for what - a month now? How does someone "succeed" at operating a business after a month? :roll: He hasn't done ANYTHING yet, other than buy a truck and a trailer, and throw some cheap freight on it.

ssoutlaw 01-09-2007 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidman82

We do what Steve has demonstrated. Take your time, do not rush, that's when mistakes happen, ask questions, don't feel like a bonehead if you don't know something, use common sense above all, and be safe.

Herein lies Steve's problem. He DID come here asking questions, and when the answers weren't what he was looking for, and he was told that he was wrong, he developed an attitude about it. Even when those answers were shown to be wrong with FMCSA documentation, he still continued to snub his nose at it.

Look back to some of his earliest posts, particularily about maintaining records (specifically drug and alcohol testing). Steve thought he was special and didn't need to keep drug and alcohol records, and even when he was shown the DOT regs that said he did, he maintained that he knew better.

The same holds true for his homemade log book that he wanted to run. When he was shown that his log book that he made up didn't have all the information that was required by the FMCSA, he maintained that he knew better, and could make a better logbook than JJ Keller. :roll:

From there, it just snowballed downhill.

I don't see as how being stubborn and not taking all advice is any different than most people starting out? Most people think they know it all at first until they find out they don't. As far as the logbook and drug stuff, big deal, its small potatoes and he will learn. None of this will make him a danger to anyone on the road. What I would have done was let him think what he wanted, and then the I told you so's would be in order later on, Then you would be able to help more. Its just me but the snide remarks help no one at all. My dad always said to me that I would remember the things he tried to teach me, and I would come back to him knowing he was right!

Rev.Vassago 01-09-2007 04:19 AM

I don't care enough to say "I told you so" to Steve.

ssoutlaw 01-09-2007 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:

You know, I have been sitting back and watching all the BS, and I have come to the conclusion that the bashers are jealous, this is just my 2 cents. I watch all the posts where new drivers ask the almighty question on how they should become a O/O? All the gods come out and told them to stay away from the lease purchases, and to save their money to buy the truck on their own, this way when sh@t happens their operating costs are lower and they will survive the slow times. Steve comes into the picture and already has the money, and is obviously not a younger man and takes the plunge. It pisses off most on here because he didn't wait till he was old and gray and had 20 yrs otr like alot do....lol

I hardly consider myself "Old and gray" at a measley 31 years old. :roll:

I doubt anyone here is jealous of Steve. After all, he IS driving a Freightliner product. :lol:
Quote:

Tell me how does a new driver ever learn the winter business with out doing it?? How does sitting in the dummy seat on ice and snow covered roads get him any experience? How can a trainer stop a screw up that a trainee makes on the same ice and snow covered road from the same dummy seat???
That is called TEACHING and LEARNING, something many of the coolie carriers don't do, and something Steve won't learn off a message board (assuming he actually listened)
Quote:

Don't get mad at Steve because he can make more business mistakes than you guys with a truck payment, he has worked and saved and this will ensure more success than the normal JOE with the 1500 to 2k truck payment a month! Most people are jealous when someone is doing better than them or has more than they do, so they cast doubt so they don't feel so small...lol STEVE, look, learn, and listen and keep up the good work...
Steve's been doing this for what - a month now? How does someone "succeed" at operating a business after a month? :roll: He hasn't done ANYTHING yet, other than buy a truck and a trailer, and throw some cheap freight on it.

I don't think anyone would ever be able to do the right thing by you. Your posts always sound so condescending. Now mind you this is just my opinion. I have spent almost the same amount of years over the road as you are old, and I read your posts and wonder where you get all this wisdom. When you post back you sound a lot like what you say Steve sounds, remember this is my opinion. You know some people might think you are some kind of CAD god or something, but I'm from the old school and believe none of what I hear and only half of what I see. What do you call cheap freight, and how can anyone here on this board know if you really don't do the same thing. Its useless, to many Prima donnas here...lol

mike3fan 01-09-2007 04:36 AM

Quote:

I don't think anyone would ever be able to do the right thing by you. Your posts always sound so condescending. Now mind you this is just my opinion. I have spent almost the same amount of years over the road as you are old, and I read your posts and wonder where you get all this wisdom. When you post back you sound a lot like what you say Steve sounds, remember this is my opinion. You know some people might think you are some kind of CAD god or something, but I'm from the old school and believe none of what I hear and only half of what I see. What do you call cheap freight, and how can anyone here on this board know if you really don't do the same thing. Its useless, to many Prima donnas here...lol
nods head in agreement

person 01-09-2007 04:57 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't compare driving a truck to flying an airplane, and if somebody wants to brag, it would seem to me that its their right.
If people don't like to read about bragging, then do what I do, and ignore the post,...and move on.

Steve was able to accomplish something that many people fail at long before this stage in the game for him.
I was a lot like him with the exception that I drove during a crummy training period, and then quit (after 8 weeks),...took a 5 year break, and then did exactly what Steve has done. That was 2 years ago, and all is still well.

I like to read his posts, he is doing a good job translating his adventures onto a forum.
Keep it up Steve, you arrogant ba#$@rd :wink:

Aint that the truth. How can anyone even TRY to put him down for going into certain areas w/ only certain experience, that they say isn't enough. GIVE ME A BREAK. There are all kindsa companies that take a young kid and dispatch him into ANY and ALL situations with the same experience as Steve had by the time he got to CO. Crazy, drug taking kids who don't have a clue, are dispatched w/out discrimination on to any load going anywhere EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK. (Sure. He has been w/ a "trainer" for a few weeks, who is more often than not some joke.) But when a responsible guy, w/ his own equipment to protect and all kinds of life experience and normal IQ etc etc goes out to drive it is evil and bad. Steve more than likely has figured out, like you did 2 years ago Arizona, that driving is not reserved for some really special people who have tons of experience. Like I pointed out above, this is disproven everyday all across America by MANY big companies.

Bigmon 01-09-2007 05:00 AM

[quote="Sonny Pruitt"]so far he does not know how to secure a load,

What highway did the load fall onto?

01-09-2007 05:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rigidsporty
Quote:

You can learn a lot by reading up on it and asking questions, I think Steve is doing well for a compujockey morphed into a truck driver.

Yes you can... lets just hope he doesn't decide to read a book on how to fly an airplane. :wink:

As far as doing well... lets see... everything he owns is paid for, he obviously has a rather large nest egg to fall back on, he got insured for less than half the amount he should have (and lets not even mention the fact he has no mileage limit... absolutely unheard of for someone with zero experience). Yea... it would be damn near impossible for him to fail!

Look Steve I think its great you were able to do so... we all wish we could... but dont come on here bragging on how you "defeated all odds" and made it. :roll:

You know, I have been sitting back and watching all the BS, and I have come to the conclusion that the bashers are jealous, this is just my 2 cents. I watch all the posts where new drivers ask the almighty question on how they should become a O/O? All the gods come out and told them to stay away from the lease purchases, and to save their money to buy the truck on their own, this way when sh@t happens their operating costs are lower and they will survive the slow times. Steve comes into the picture and already has the money, and is obviously not a younger man and takes the plunge. It pisses off most on here because he didn't wait till he was old and gray and had 20 yrs otr like alot do....lol Tell me how does a new driver ever learn the winter business with out doing it?? How does sitting in the dummy seat on ice and snow covered roads get him any experience? How can a trainer stop a screw up that a trainee makes on the same ice and snow covered road from the same dummy seat??? From Steve's posts he always said he was going slower than the rest of the other trucks, I even thought too slow, but that's just me! Living on the east coast like Steve does he has had quite a few years with winter driving, maybe not in a truck, but winter driving anyway!! No one on this board had any experience with ice or snow in a truck the first time they encountered it while they were behind the wheel. You get what I mean? Steve has used caution through the back roads of CO in a very wintry mix and came out smelling like a rose, GOOD BOY STEVE!!!! Some of you guys need to leave it alone, just because Steve had the money to live his dream and you didn't, its not his fault. Steve is going to make mistakes in business and the driving part, so what, it happens to everyone!! but you read his posts and he learns from them. Don't get mad at Steve because he can make more business mistakes than you guys with a truck payment, he has worked and saved and this will ensure more success than the normal JOE with the 1500 to 2k truck payment a month! Most people are jealous when someone is doing better than them or has more than they do, so they cast doubt so they don't feel so small...lol STEVE, look, learn, and listen and keep up the good work...

Fellow O/Os and Professional Drivers may I present ( drum roll please ).... The new President of the Steve Booth Fan Club... SSOUTHSLAW !!!!!!!!!!!!

I always enjoy ssouthslaws pearls of wisdom or lack thereof... :roll: :roll:

01-09-2007 05:29 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't compare driving a truck to flying an airplane,

Your right. Flying an airplane is a lot easier. I was given a solo license at the age of 15 and able to fly a plane all by myself. Trucks are much harder, more things to run into.

yoopr 01-09-2007 05:30 AM

I don't see as how being stubborn and not taking all advice is any different than most people starting out

Wrong
I'm guessing that you don't have too many miles on you after that comment.

And I'm hardly jealous-I've owned a few trucks and have a couple miles under my belt.I know you forgot or perhaps recently came onto this site and didn't knowbut IF people bothered to read his Initial Posts he basically said all truckers were dumb and if WE could do it he could.

He bought a truck-He bought his Authority and he has run a few miles. I hope he stays safe and doesn't hurt himself or others.

01-09-2007 05:39 AM

[quote="Bigmon"]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt
so far he does not know how to secure a load,
What highway did the load fall onto?

That would be Rt 25. Thank God it's plastic pipe and easy to pick up. I didn't even have to put it back on top, I used duct tape and just stuck it to the sides and put my oversized load signs on and good to go!!!! Got that from Trucking for Dummies, Rev bought it for me.

allan5oh 01-09-2007 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoopr
And I'm hardly jealous-I've owned a few trucks and have a couple miles under my belt.I know you forgot or perhaps recently came onto this site and didn't knowbut IF people bothered to read his Initial Posts he basically said all truckers were dumb and if WE could do it he could.

While it does take some skill to drive a truck, especially in "hairy situations" it takes a lot more to succeed as a business.

The first doesn't necassarily lead into the next.

Sonny Pruitt 01-09-2007 06:41 AM

Thats easy
the cal load was delivered with damage and a crushed crate

would you have belly strapped the pipe if the shipper hadnt told you?

01-09-2007 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt
Thats easy
the cal load was delivered with damage and a crushed crate

would you have belly strapped the pipe if the shipper hadnt told you?

That's what happens when you put a 500 pound motor on a flimsy crate. This is the way they wanted it, already been paid, been beat to death before. The only person who has a problem is you now!!

Sonny Pruitt 01-09-2007 06:59 AM

And dont get me wrong
I dont want to see you fail
There are so many gee whizzers on this post
I want to give you a sobering point of view

rank 01-09-2007 02:44 PM

Steve,

The oil you're burning doesn't seem out of line to me. How many miles on the truck?

notenuftoys 01-09-2007 03:14 PM

I've been lurking around here for a while, using this site for cheap entertainment. And while Steve's unorthodox approach may rub some old-timers wrong, Rev reminds me of a little Chihuahua running after Steve, nipping at his heels. The visual makes me laugh! :lol:

There's two ways we all learn: either by listening and doing what others suggest, or diving in and making the mistakes ourselves. That applies in everything, whether it's trucking, or building something. It seems Steve has taken some advice, but ignored everyone that said he can't do it, and all the other naysayers. This board has more negative people than I've ever seen, and many people who take offense when their advice is ignored. If ya'll spent as much energy at your own business as you did with Steve's, you'd be even more successful than you already are.

Just so you don't think I'm a know-it-all supertrucker, I drove for a year and half about 15 years ago. That's all. But its still in my blood, and I keep up with what's going on in the industry.

Be safe...