Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Car hauling with a 5 pack?????? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/22432-car-hauling-5-pack.html)

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 11-20-2006 08:12 PM

Car hauling with a 5 pack??????

Hello everyone, my first post after lot's of reading.

I have a class B CDL and want to start hauling car's with a 5 pack as a O/O. Would be running from NY heading south about 6-800 mi.. Reload and head back north.

I would be using Central Dispatch to find loads unless I could get hooked up with something else (co-part?). Certainly open to other way's to run.

Trying to decide between new at $120,000, 5 yr. loan around $2,500 per mo. Or a used southern truck somewhere around $50,000 and financed.

I have a very seasonal business doing storage and could be doing the car thing about 7-8 mo. per year.
Your thought's would all be appreciated.

Also, if anyone know's of a nice used 5 pack, let me know please.

Thanks in advance.
Be good, Jim

11-20-2006 08:28 PM

If your trailer and freight are over 10,000 GVW you need a Class A w/combination endorsement.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 11-20-2006 08:46 PM

Thanks TF!

No trailer with this set-up.
Basically a tractor with 3 cars up top and 2 behind the day cab.

Be good, Jim

traveler15301 11-20-2006 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfmotors
If your trailer and freight are over 10,000 GVW you need a Class A w/combination endorsement.

only if the GCWR is also over 26k

BanditsCousin 11-20-2006 09:36 PM

It appears as though you want to do this operating under your own authority?? If you are worried about finding loads, maybe you should consider leasing on to a car hauler outfit.

And by 5-pack, I imagin the type of vehicles DAS runs? (funky cab/trailer configuration)

And, as far as buying a truck- start small, then go big. I myself am tempted to get the biggest/baddest sleeper on the road but I am doing it in "baby steps" :) I'd get a great deal on some mechanically sound equipment (used) and see where your business goes from there. This minimizes your commitment and frees up cash reserves for operating expenses/claims/repais etc.

I forgot to ask, how much experience do you have hauling cars?

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 11-20-2006 10:02 PM

Banditscousin,

Not worried about finding loads but always looking for better paying loads.

To see a 5 pack go to
WWW.cottrelltrailers.com then click on 5 pack.

I am looking for good used but cant find anything southern/rust free.

Hopefully someone will post up a nice used truck.

Thanks for the quick replys.

Be good, Jim

BanditsCousin 11-20-2006 10:08 PM

Okay, the 5-pack was not what I thought it was. That would awsome for getting into tight and/or restricted areas!! :) With that setup, I believe Class B might work.

I'm still confused on if you are currently an experienced carhauler and know about the car hauling business.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 11-20-2006 10:40 PM

Sorry...forgot

Banditscousin,

Totally forgot the exp. question.

I don't have any exp. with an actual car hauler. Ridden along and helped out.

Have been a foreign car mechanic most of my life, am 50 now.
I have driven a 2,600 gal water truck for about 12 years. Try driving that when it's 3/4 full and not flop it!
Also have-----
Old 1953 Cat D-8 13A cable blade dozer
Back hoe
Small crane
Flat bottom V-drive race boat, blown on alcohol

If I can run all that stuff and still have all my fingers, toe's and both eye's a car hauler is a piece of cake....

Oh......I also lived with a real biaotch of a woman for 10 year's, so not much scares me....LOL

Be good, Jim

BanditsCousin 11-20-2006 11:41 PM

Re: Sorry...forgot

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEVIL'S ADVOCATE
Oh......I also lived with a real biaotch of a woman for 10 year's, so not much scares me....LOL

Amen Brother 8)

Thats good you have ridden along and experienced the work. Hopefully your contact will help steer you in the right direction and get you lined up with some stead, $$profitable$$ work 8)

NascarFan 11-21-2006 02:21 PM

What about finding a truck that you like then take it to somebody and have them put that setup on it.

GMAN 11-21-2006 02:34 PM

Before you proceed too far with this idea, you may want to check to see whether you can find an insurance company who will insure you without experience. There are probably more claims paid out for those hauling cars than anything else. You get a scratch and you will spend $1,000 or more. Insurance is expensive in this business. Insurance to haul cars is more expensive and without experience will be a real challenge.

11-21-2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

Banditscousin,

Not worried about finding loads but always looking for better paying loads.

To see a 5 pack go to
WWW.cottrelltrailers.com then click on 5 pack.

I am looking for good used but cant find anything southern/rust free.

Hopefully someone will post up a nice used truck.

Thanks for the quick replys.

Be good, Jim

Interesting setup. 8)

GMAN 11-21-2006 04:45 PM

There is a company in Alabama called FET Sales who restores, refurbishes and sells various types of car haulers. I have seen some 5 packs a few times on their lot. They were sold out a year or so ago and changed their name. They are in a small town in north Alabama near Boaz and Albertville. If you can find a copy of The Truckpaper, he usually has an ad for a carhauler.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 11-21-2006 05:17 PM

Gman,

Good point on the ins. end.
I was figuring with a 12+ yr. clean CDL and zero ins. claims, ins. wouldn't be a problem.
I will check into it ASAP.

I tried doing searches for FET and found nothing....

Looked at the truckpaper.com and didn't see anything in Alabama.
Hopefully someone else might be able to help out with a name?

Going to call Jack Key car hauling and see if he know's of anything...

Thanks guy's!!
Be good, Jim

ben45750 11-21-2006 08:19 PM

Could also look at the 4 car rollbacks, you lose 1 car but can do a little more with a rollback hauling other things.

something like this
http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/1416/cfbf12tm5.jpg

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 11-21-2006 08:52 PM

Thanks Ben,

Yeah I know about them. Carry 3 on the truck and a stinger wheel lift out back. More for the salvage trade.
I really would like a 6-7-8 car trailer but only have a class B CDL right now.
If I like the work I will jump up to a class A CDL.
Untill then, I can run a 5 pack and see how it goes.
Just trying to find a used one rather than spend $120K for new.

Found 2 Peterbilt 5 pack's in Mass. but 1 is very rusty for $40K and the other is better rust wise for $52K but still rust scabs, even on the cab????? Both have approx 500K miles on them.

Used from the south is the only way to go really....

Be good, Jim

GMAN 11-22-2006 02:27 AM

Quote:

Gman,

Good point on the ins. end.
I was figuring with a 12+ yr. clean CDL and zero ins. claims, ins. wouldn't be a problem.
I will check into it ASAP.

I tried doing searches for FET and found nothing....

Looked at the truckpaper.com and didn't see anything in Alabama.
Hopefully someone else might be able to help out with a name?

Going to call Jack Key car hauling and see if he know's of anything...

Thanks guy's!!
Be good, Jim

Try this company. If you go to the truck paper website and pull up truck dealers in Alabama you will find them. When I pulled them up they had a photo of a 5 pack.

NORTH EAST AUTO TRUCK BROKERS - (256)561-4068 - Crossville, Alabama - CLICK ON OUR LINK TO VIEW OUR WEBSITE!!

Perhaps it will be different with a Class B license, but with a Class A you will need at least 2 years of otr experience to find a decent insurance company without the radius restriction. You can probably get Progressive to insure you but will probably be restricted to a 300 mile radius. And I am not sure they will cover anyone who hauls cars. If you find someone who will insure you with a Class B to haul cars you may want to let us know so that we can pass the info along to others.

LOAD IT 11-22-2006 03:24 AM

4 years ago, I ran cars on a 53ft stepdeck with dovetail and ramps, driver stayed out 30-45 days at a time. The truck would gross $4000 to $7000 per week. We got cars from Central Dispatch, DAS, HHG moving companies, ebay sellers, and word of mouth. This was a great business, but the claims will cost you, and its always the guy with a piece of crap car or some ebay guy that bought the car site unseen, but you dented the middle of the roof or made the engine smoke. I beat every claim, but they can cost you. Go for it and good luck.

vontrial 11-22-2006 03:51 AM

hey Load IT does Central Dispatch have good rates , thinking about starting out with a 4 car hauler lived in Ms would like to stay in the Southeast to start out.

GMAN 11-22-2006 04:27 AM

I used to have a form that I used to show damage on a vehicle when I picked it up. Any damage was noted and sometimes photographed and signed off by the shipper. When I arrived at the receiver I made sure that they inspected the vehicle and signed off on it. You need to take special care when you haul cars.

BanditsCousin 11-23-2006 04:57 AM

In HHG ( United and Atlas for sure) we have special forms witha generic picture of a car from all 4 sides and the top. We mark down scratches, dents, etc and the customer signs off on the condition and mileage.

And its true- its always a guy with a POS. I try to stay away from cars because they don't pay much. A car going 750 miles paid me $430, or roughly 57 cpm. They take up way more cubic ft than HHG, hence, paying less.

I can probably get on with one of the largest enclosed transport companies (according to the owner on the phone), but HHG gives me at least a LITTLE hometime in the winter :)

So, um, yeah. claims can cost you 8)

LOAD IT 11-23-2006 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vontrial
hey Load IT does Central Dispatch have good rates , thinking about starting out with a 4 car hauler lived in Ms would like to stay in the Southeast to start out.

its just a load board like getloaded and truckstop. You have to negotiate a good rate or let their car sit. Hauling cars is like hauling LTL, you have to build the load. My goal has always been to get the first two cars or LTLs to pay a full truckload rate then the pieces that I add after those are icing on the cake. They all must pick, deliver enroute or within close proximity.

knightwolf71477 11-23-2006 02:02 PM

One bit of advice, you may want to find a car hauling outfit that would be willing to train you, so that you can get a feel for it. I am currently a car hauler and there is alot more to it than just loading the cars and driving off. It is like a gaint puzzle that you have to put together and it can be very difficult to get it to come together.

Also if you are looking at used car haulers, they will have rust on them. The company I drive for, we have trucks that are only 3 months old and the ramps and rails have rust on them already. I guess that is what happens when you have 2 pieces of metal rubbung together.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 11-23-2006 02:33 PM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

Well,
I have a call into a ins. agent for a price quote. So far it sounds ok. He hasn't acted like there would be any problems....yet.

Called dealer's everywhere asking about a used 5 pack. Pa, Tx, Fl, Al, Ga, so far nothing.
Posted here at O/O and the new drivers forum asking about used and not one lead....that's a lot of eye's out there looking and nothing.

Knightwolf,
not worried about rust caused by the truck "working" as it's used. That's to be expected. It's the major rust scabs on the cab and rust all over the leading edges of the rack from all the salt as the truck goes down the road. Don't even get me started on all the nut's and bolt's that are frozen together and have changed head size's etc..

Still hoping someone will pop in here with a lead on a used truck. I have about 2 week's to make a decision.

Actually new might just be the way to go. Just scared of a $2,500 per mo. payment. Never had that before.

Everyone, go enjoy your turkey day!!!!!

Be good, Jim

GMAN 11-23-2006 05:42 PM

I don't understand why you are in such a rush to go out and spend well over $100M to buy a new truck to start a business which you have no experience or knowledge? You also have no customers established to keep you busy. There is a lot more to hauling cars than driving them on the truck, although you can easily damage a vehicle while loading or unloading.

I have owned car haulers. The difference is that mine were 10 car haulers. They are high maintenance. You can always blow a hydraulic hose. I have blown a hose while loading cars on the weekend. You will find rust on most any car hauler. It takes work to keep them up.

If you take your time I am sure you can find a good deal in a truck.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 11-24-2006 07:38 AM

Thanks for the help!!!

Gman,

thank's for the reply's. keep them comming, they are appreciated...

Here's where I am, at......
I have a storage business for car's, boat's and rv's. I am about to go into my winter--slow season since almost everything is now into storage. Just as a FYI, I have 42,000 S/F of storage and store approx. 150-160 vehicles.

So, since I have decided to go forward on starting this business, I need to bust a move on getting a hauler.
I have until now through March or so to go truckin, back into storage mode....getting everything out, then slow up again from June through September.

"I don't understand why you are in such a rush to go out and spend well over $100M to buy a new truck to start a business which you have no experience or knowledge?"

It's not that I am in a rush. Iv'e been looking to purchase used for the past 2 mo. and now have to weigh the advantage's of new against used.

At this point, with the lack of used 5 pack's (the one's for sale are very over priced IMO) and with the advantages of buying new, it may be worth the price tag of going new.

Would I like to find a used--3-4-5-yr. old truck in nice shape and roll with it......sure but they dont seem to be out there at this time.

Experience...

Have I run a 5 pack or 10 car, no never. but I do have 12-14 yrs driving a straight truck and have been around car's all my life. Experience is not a problem, I can "get er done"

Knowledge...

I have a very good friend to advise me on the in's and out's and at this point am not worried about the business/customer end of the business.
I have been self-employed for 20 yr's. Car hauling isn't rocket science. I can do this, trust me......

"They are high maintenance. You can always blow a hydraulic hose. I have blown a hose while loading cars on the weekend. You will find rust on most any car hauler. It takes work to keep them up."

That's why I am thinking new.....

You also have no customers established to keep you busy.

I logged onto Central Dispatch-----

Found about 200 car's going from NY/Pa down south into VA,WVA,Kt,NC,SC...

There's my customer's.
I picked the best load's from NY down to NC. 5 car's that paid $2875 with out asking for more from the broker's.....which, they will pay more. Don't ask----don't get!
I did not figure out a north bound load but do know it will be a bit less. Let's say $2,000 going back up....
So, that's a "round" for $4,875----without hitting up the broker's for more...
I figure about 2,000 mi. down and back so that's $2.44 per mi. with a 10 wheeler, not 18......

Now, if I get the broker's to add $50.00 to each car, which is realistic, without adding anything to the north bound freight, that put's me at $3.56 per mi.

Am I off base anywhere???

Ohhhh.... just so you know.....

your avitar is creeping me out....
Think you could change it????

Be good, Jim

GMAN 11-24-2006 02:33 PM

I am sorry my avatar creeps you out. I have had some who have said the same thing. I have also had some who like it. I will keep it until I find something I like.

It sounds to me as though you have made up your mind to buy a new truck. That is a lot of overhead to absorb, especially starting out and when you will not be working year around. If you are paying a $2,500 monthly payment for 4 months, that is $10M before adding in insurance and other costs and no income. I saw a 5 pack on the Northeast website that I posted for less than $20M. It was a little older, but looked decent. I don't think it is a good idea for anyone to come into this business and buy a new truck without any experience. But, it is your money.

Central Dispatch is a good load board for car haulers. A friend of mine does well with them. One problem I see in your post is that you assume you will be the first to call and book the best paying loads. You also assume that ALL brokers will pay more than advertised. Remember, you are not the only one who will be checking these boards. You may want to look at this with the worst paying cars to see how the money comes out. Most likely you will be somewhere in between. Another thing to keep in mind is that hauling cars also has it's slow times, just like any other aspect of this business.

One other item I will mention is damage. It is very easy to damage a vehicle. Some car haulers will raise their deductible to keep premiums lower. I know of some who have deductibles of from $2,500-5,000 instead of the usual $1,000. That increases your exposure. It only takes one claim to take all of your profits. When you haul cars, the deductible applies to each vehicle. In other words, if you have 2 vehicles that are damaged, the deductible applies to each vehicle. Swift got out of the car hauling business because of damage claims, so I understand.

I think you need to take a deep breath and look at both sides of this aspect of the business. It isn't that I want to discourage you from pursuing it, but you owe it to yourself to look at both sides before you start spending money.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 11-26-2006 03:21 PM

Well........

I may have, repeat, may have, found a 5 pack in good condition???

Friend of a friend is looking to either downsize his operation or sell it all.

No idea on price yet. I will keep ya posted.

I just can't believe with all the view's on this thread, no one has posted up a lead to a truck?????

Be good, Jim

knightwolf71477 11-26-2006 04:23 PM

Jim it is not that we want to stop you from doing this, but we also don't want to see anyone fail or fall on hard times. I guess all we are trying to point out is to look of everything before you make that leap into being a O/O in this business.

Car hauling is IMO one of the hardest placest to be a O/O with everything that can cost you money. Since you are talking about being, for lack of better words, a "hobby trucker" that is a lot of money to invest.

Bigmon 11-26-2006 06:27 PM

There are some trucks for sale on the Cottrell website.

I think it would be cheaper to get a 6-7 car hauler and a used Freightliner. This way you can also use the truck to hook up to dry vans and flatbeds to give yourself some diverisity. You'd have to get a Class A CDL though.

yoopr 11-26-2006 06:37 PM

Quote:

Well........

I may have, repeat, may have, found a 5 pack in good condition???

Friend of a friend is looking to either downsize his operation or sell it all.

No idea on price yet. I will keep ya posted.

I just can't believe with all the view's on this thread, no one has posted up a lead to a truck?????

Be good, Jim

Not sure but I think there's one(used) 18 miles from me in town at a Cornbinder dealership if you want me to check it out for you.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 11-26-2006 06:41 PM

Thanks guy's!!

Bigmon,

the 2, 5 pack trucks on the Cottrell web site are pretty rusty. The blue one is real bad.
I contacted the owner and he e-mailed me a bunch of pics.
The black one isn't too bad but they both have run from Mass to NY weekly since new.

I asked for a bottom line price on both. No dickering around, just what's the least he would sell for. This is where he came back price wise....

The black one----$47,000
The blue one-----$34,500

The black one was driven by the owner only. Looks pretty good.
The blue one was driven by his hired drivers and show's it.

As I said, I have found one other truck and am waiting to hear about it. I do know it is well maintained low miles and should be pretty nice paint wise. No idea of price yet.

If anyone what's to see the pic's....shoot me a P/M with your e-mail and I will send them along.

Be good, Jim

Bigmon 11-26-2006 07:21 PM

Rust is a problem with trucks in the snow belt. If you get one from that area make sure they guy doesn't cover it up with undercoating and hide it.

NascarFan 11-26-2006 10:19 PM

Here you go, start looking. http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/f...4123F68C4D7121

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/f...4123F68C4D7121

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 11-27-2006 01:22 AM

yoopr,

Yes please do check it out for me when you have time.
Let me know what I owe ya for gas money......

Nascarfan,

I have gone through the Truckpaper.com listings already. Nothing there so far.
Hopefully this new lead might pan out.

Be good, Jim

brian 11-27-2006 09:30 AM

I dont know why you think trucks down south are gonna be rust free, you ever been around the humidity down there? aluminum will rust if it sits out long enough! :lol:

it sounds like you wanna stick to the east coast, if that was my game plan i`d stick to the ny/nj geezers moving down to florida full time along with the snowbirds, even just pulling a 3 car with a dually you can make money, this is a buddys full time business and he does quite well even when he deadheads all the way back to the northeast, the few times I helped him out he was gettin 1600$ per car, thats 4800 gross deadheading all the way back to jersey. even after paying for the truck costs, fuel cost and throwing me a grand for 3 days work he cleared a good 2k+ sittin on his butt.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 11-27-2006 05:33 PM

Brian,

I sure dont know where your friend is finding snowbirds willing to pay $1,600.00
From what I hear....$800-850 is about the going rate from NY down to Fl.

The 5 pack I was waiting to hear about------------is not for sale.
Still looking....

Be good, Jim

Bigmon 11-27-2006 05:53 PM

I have car transporters offering to ship cars for me for $400 per car from MA to Fl all the time.... $800 - 1600 is way too much unless you find a chump.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 11-27-2006 08:07 PM

Agree there Bigmon,

When I stated $800-850....I meant that's what the brokers are getting.

Can't imagine where he is getting customers willing to pay $1,600???

Also....an update

Ins. quote....
Liability with 1 mil. coverage
Collision etc on a used truck with a value of 50K will cost $4.000 per yr.

Cargo ins.
150K coverage...$1,000 deductable...$3,000 per yr.
200K coverage...$1,000 deductable...$4,000 per yr.

That was pretty much what I expected

The agent never mentioned a mileage restriction on how far away from home base I can run. So, I am thinking all 48.

Back to searching for a used truck....Augghhhh

Be good, Jim

WildBob 11-27-2006 08:15 PM

DA

This just popped up on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...QQcmdZViewItem