Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Car hauling with a 5 pack?????? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/22432-car-hauling-5-pack.html)

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 11-20-2006 08:12 PM

Car hauling with a 5 pack??????

Hello everyone, my first post after lot's of reading.

I have a class B CDL and want to start hauling car's with a 5 pack as a O/O. Would be running from NY heading south about 6-800 mi.. Reload and head back north.

I would be using Central Dispatch to find loads unless I could get hooked up with something else (co-part?). Certainly open to other way's to run.

Trying to decide between new at $120,000, 5 yr. loan around $2,500 per mo. Or a used southern truck somewhere around $50,000 and financed.

I have a very seasonal business doing storage and could be doing the car thing about 7-8 mo. per year.
Your thought's would all be appreciated.

Also, if anyone know's of a nice used 5 pack, let me know please.

Thanks in advance.
Be good, Jim

11-20-2006 08:28 PM

If your trailer and freight are over 10,000 GVW you need a Class A w/combination endorsement.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 11-20-2006 08:46 PM

Thanks TF!

No trailer with this set-up.
Basically a tractor with 3 cars up top and 2 behind the day cab.

Be good, Jim

traveler15301 11-20-2006 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfmotors
If your trailer and freight are over 10,000 GVW you need a Class A w/combination endorsement.

only if the GCWR is also over 26k

BanditsCousin 11-20-2006 09:36 PM

It appears as though you want to do this operating under your own authority?? If you are worried about finding loads, maybe you should consider leasing on to a car hauler outfit.

And by 5-pack, I imagin the type of vehicles DAS runs? (funky cab/trailer configuration)

And, as far as buying a truck- start small, then go big. I myself am tempted to get the biggest/baddest sleeper on the road but I am doing it in "baby steps" :) I'd get a great deal on some mechanically sound equipment (used) and see where your business goes from there. This minimizes your commitment and frees up cash reserves for operating expenses/claims/repais etc.

I forgot to ask, how much experience do you have hauling cars?

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 11-20-2006 10:02 PM

Banditscousin,

Not worried about finding loads but always looking for better paying loads.

To see a 5 pack go to
WWW.cottrelltrailers.com then click on 5 pack.

I am looking for good used but cant find anything southern/rust free.

Hopefully someone will post up a nice used truck.

Thanks for the quick replys.

Be good, Jim

BanditsCousin 11-20-2006 10:08 PM

Okay, the 5-pack was not what I thought it was. That would awsome for getting into tight and/or restricted areas!! :) With that setup, I believe Class B might work.

I'm still confused on if you are currently an experienced carhauler and know about the car hauling business.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 11-20-2006 10:40 PM

Sorry...forgot

Banditscousin,

Totally forgot the exp. question.

I don't have any exp. with an actual car hauler. Ridden along and helped out.

Have been a foreign car mechanic most of my life, am 50 now.
I have driven a 2,600 gal water truck for about 12 years. Try driving that when it's 3/4 full and not flop it!
Also have-----
Old 1953 Cat D-8 13A cable blade dozer
Back hoe
Small crane
Flat bottom V-drive race boat, blown on alcohol

If I can run all that stuff and still have all my fingers, toe's and both eye's a car hauler is a piece of cake....

Oh......I also lived with a real biaotch of a woman for 10 year's, so not much scares me....LOL

Be good, Jim

BanditsCousin 11-20-2006 11:41 PM

Re: Sorry...forgot

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEVIL'S ADVOCATE
Oh......I also lived with a real biaotch of a woman for 10 year's, so not much scares me....LOL

Amen Brother 8)

Thats good you have ridden along and experienced the work. Hopefully your contact will help steer you in the right direction and get you lined up with some stead, $$profitable$$ work 8)

NascarFan 11-21-2006 02:21 PM

What about finding a truck that you like then take it to somebody and have them put that setup on it.