Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   frustrated wife of owner operator (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/21165-frustrated-wife-owner-operator.html)

sharbear36 10-07-2006 01:56 PM

frustrated wife of owner operator

It seems to be going well for alot of you on here operating under your own authority, so what are we doing wrong? We have until the end of the month to pay our mortgage or we are losing our house. I haven't paid any bills for 2 months because of this new endeavor my husband decided would make us better off. It's alot of strain on our marriage and we have children to think about. I had him selling the truck yesterday but with what he will be getting paid as a company driver, we would never survive that way either. It's a lose/lose at this point. One more major thing happens to the truck, we lose pretty much everything. What are we doing wrong, we have to be doing something wrong?

Thanks for any input
Sharbear

10-07-2006 03:10 PM

Ok, I'll start it off. First let me say I'm sorry!!

I just checked 2 load boards and there seems to be plenty of freight to move with a lot at $1.60 per mile and up from your area. What are you having trouble with? Finding loads, truck breaking down or just bad rates?

solo379 10-07-2006 03:13 PM

Re: frustrated wife of owner operator

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharbear36
It seems to be going well for alot of you on here operating under your own authority, so what are we doing wrong?

I had him selling the truck yesterday but with what he will be getting paid as a company driver, we would never survive that way either. It's a lose/lose at this point. One more major thing happens to the truck, we lose pretty much everything. What are we doing wrong, we have to be doing something wrong?

First, let me say, i'm sorry, about the whole situation! :sad:

But, i believe, you call it on yourself! Since you didn't give to much info, i'd just guess! :roll:
You jumped in that deal, w/o being ready, cause somebody said, that's the way to go!
You didn't have any cash reserves, and knowledge about business.
At best...he knew, how to drive a truck.
Once again, i'm just guessing, so please take no offence.

One other thing! You are saying, that you couldn't survive, on a company driver wages...
Good driver, with the good company, making 50-60 grand a year, with benefits. That probably more "net", than 70%, of o/o ever see.
And should be enough to live reasonably well , in your area.
May be you should look at your spending... :roll:

Like i've said, you didn't give enough info, but i'd sell that truck ASAP, if you can...!

Cam 10-07-2006 03:53 PM

Sharbear:
Quote:

...with what he will be getting paid as a company driver, we would never survive that way either....
Han Solo:
Quote:

...One other thing! You are saying, that you couldn't survive, on a company driver wages...
Good driver, with the good company, making 50-60 grand a year, with benefits.
Hey, Sharbear. Tough, I understand tough. I agree with Solo, this really isn't about truck ownership. Can't survive off a company driver's wages!? There are other more important issues here than just truck ownership. We can talk about the latter, that's what we do here. We can also talk about ambitions and all. But, something got you to this crisis and it wasn't simply truck ownership. If you have to get back out of it you might try it again at a later date. Lots of us have done other things and this has proven to be a nice, solid way to make a living even if it isn't fllled with all the status and show of some other professions.

sharbear36 10-07-2006 04:09 PM

Hi all,

I know that I wasn't very specific so let me go into a little detail. My husband has been driving truck since he was 18 and is now 41. For the last 6-7 years he has been driving leased onto a company as an owner operator making very good money but he wanted to do it under his own authority. YOUR RIGHT, he did it all wrong, they didn't have a nest egg to start with and that's where the problems started. Especially when they started when the fuel rates were ridiculous. The reason we can't go to a company is because our finances were that of when he was an operator leased on. We became very comfortable with that income, not really beyond our means but then you have to add in back taxes. Yes, we have done things the wrong way and we were finally getting those taxes taken care of until the own authority came about. I believe that he does have some good brokers that he can call but he always seems to have trouble on the backhauls. No matter where he seems to go, there isn't something coming back to where he needs to be to pick up the next load. He is going from west chicago to bedfordheights, OH and getting $775 but then he might take a load from CH Robinson back for $450. Seems ok? However, there have been repairs and then you add in the fuel and I'm not sure those are the loads to be taking. I have searched the internet high and low yesterday and tried to build new relationships with brokers to have more than 5 or 6 options because we have to save the house. I'm just not sure what we are doing wrong, I know there is money to be made this way.

Thank you for reading and giving any advice you may have, I do appreciate it

duck 10-07-2006 04:47 PM

JMO - he may have top stay out and run more - don't look for an out and back but runs into higher freight areas. Sucks I know but a few weeks on teh road running the better paying runs until he finds one with more $$ home or you can afford a little hit on the return trip.

solo379 10-07-2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duck
JMO - he may have top stay out and run more - don't look for an out and back but runs into higher freight areas. Sucks I know but a few weeks on teh road running the better paying runs until he finds one with more $$ home or you can afford a little hit on the return trip.

Good thinking! 8)

When you did get those "own #", you've sold your soul, and home life! :D
At least until you'll get establish, and could find your way around that.
Till than, truck goes where the money is...
But you should consider an outbound freight rates, or possible DH, as well.

The rates you've posted, didn't seems to be that bad, depending on equipment, he's pulling, tho, i'm quiet certain, he should be able to get another hundred, or two, from Cleveland area.

The problem, i see with this runs, it's gives you low gross, and low per day income.

Did he ever consider, going back "leased", since you are saying he was doing great?

sharbear36 10-07-2006 06:20 PM

Well lets just say that he "burned that bridge". Everything got alittle heated when he left.

I guess I have to find better loads for him. Is it better to use the load boards that have all companies or use the companies directly or I suppose both.

Alot of time what happens when we call for the loads they are already gone, it happens quite often, I'm not sure if locking loads in the beginning of the week is best or day by day? There has to be some little link we are missing. I know that this can work, we are just learning as we go along and should have been more educated first but my hubby doesn't always do everything in the right order...lol.

Sharbear

yoopr 10-07-2006 07:09 PM

You're in a Good Freight Lane in Milwaukee with some very good paying Loads.
I don't understand-You're finding the Loads but you're the One angry about the Pay he's Bringing In?

sharbear36 10-07-2006 07:28 PM

no no no, I didn't start finding him loads yet......he's been doing it thus far. I'm not angry about the money he's bringing in I'm concerned about how this all works to make it most productive. That's all. So far, it's hasn't been so great and I'm just wondering if there is anything else I can do to make it better from other truckers that are doing well out there.

Sharbear

no_worries 10-07-2006 09:02 PM

Running the solely off load boards can be frustrating but can certainly be done for a solo from your area. Try to start off with something longer out of WI. I don't have a problem finding 1.80-2.00 a mile out of there generally. If you can find a nice 1200-1500 mile load to start with then chase the best rate once he's there you will be able to pump up your gross and bring in some more cash. When your in the situation your in, hometime has to take a backseat for awhile. Get that cashflow up even if you don't see him until the holidays. Or find a way to trim your lifestyle and go back to a less stressful situation.

sharbear36 10-07-2006 09:52 PM

We have both decided that he will probably spend alot of time on the road and thats not a problem since we are pretty much used to him being home on the weekends. Since nobody has really said any names of any bigger companies in Wisconsin, I'm assuming we can't say? I just think that maybe we are not finding the right ones to drive for. Like I said before, I don't think the load from West Chicago is good per mile but again it's $775 and not in the $1000's where I think we need to be at this point. Those backhauls are I think the problem, I don't understand why they pay more and why we have such a hard time getting out of Oh, I see the loads too but either they don't pay well or their gone when we call. Baffling

Sharbear

Rev.Vassago 10-07-2006 10:21 PM

Quote:

Those backhauls are I think the problem

That's probably your problem right there. Remove that word from your vocabulary. Every trip should be considered the same, no matter where it is going.

sharbear36 10-07-2006 10:21 PM

Ok, let me go down one other road. Is there a site out there somewhere that will tell you what a truck is worth? We are thinking that this is just not going to work, yes we are flip flopping but if your in the place that we are, it's difficult because one more repair that we can't afford and the truck is done and we have nothing for a back up plan then. I have no idea what to do, sorry to vent to all of you

Sharbear

trockens 10-08-2006 12:17 AM

another wife of owner/operator

I am very very sorry to hear about your current situation.

As I see it, the trucking industry, as a whole, is a very difficult racket. The companies' cheat the driver, and put him in an impossible situation, in many cases, when they let him sit around twiddling his thumbs waiting for a load...the shipper makes money, the company makes money, but the driver gets screwed. His time isn't paid for and his idling fuel is never repaid. Then he gets a 45,000 lb load over the mountains...etc. etc.

I could go on and on, but you know what the other gripes are, so I won't waste your time.....My best recommendation is for him to go back on as a leased driver (taking the best deal he can find). Take some time to get both of you back on your feet. Watch your budget. (although I'm sure you are) and then save a nest egg for going under your own authority.

Going under your own authority is a BIG step....you need around 3-4 months of your total "bill outgo" saved BEFORE you jump into that BIG step. Remember...this is a BUSINESS....do the company statements yourself....you'll be able to keep an "eye" on expenses. Use a tax accountant at the end of the year to complete your taxes.

You can make a fairly good living being company leased if you plan ahead, and really cut your spending to the bone. Call hubby often and encourage the "hell" out of him. Be strong, Be his SUPPORT!!! Suck it up and get tough!

God speed....to you both.

yoopr 10-08-2006 12:17 AM

Quote:

Ok, let me go down one other road. Is there a site out there somewhere that will tell you what a truck is worth? We are thinking that this is just not going to work, yes we are flip flopping but if your in the place that we are, it's difficult because one more repair that we can't afford and the truck is done and we have nothing for a back up plan then. I have no idea what to do, sorry to vent to all of you

Sharbear

Nothing wrong with Venting-Just be Selective on your Loads-YOU determine what you'll haul for and don't Deviate unless it's a Load going to where you have confirmed a Good Paying Load.

Have you talked to other O/O's around Holy Hill or Sturtevant?
Loads going to the East Coast out of your area pay the Best.

Rev.Vassago 10-08-2006 01:37 AM

Quote:

Sharbear

http://www.trucks.com/services_blackbook.asp

$4 per valuation

brian 10-08-2006 04:49 AM

stop with these short runs, illinios to ohio? what kinda crap is that, not to mention the tolls.

i`m sorry for your situation but I believe he can dig himself out.

Longsnowsm 10-08-2006 04:50 AM

I am sorry to hear about your situation. The best way to get an idea what your truck is worth is to go to truckpaper.com and see what other trucks like yours are going for...

Might I suggest that what the other drivers have mentioned is on the mark and forget the backhaul. Look at each load you find on the loadboards and try to keep them in the freight lanes. Just take each load and let the freight be your guide. You should be able to setup for the next load before you have delivered the load your under. You may have to go round about to get back home, but you should be able to pickup some good loads and stay busy and make some good money.

Like the others mentioned you will have to run hard and stay out for a while. Trucking is a business, and like any business one of the biggest pitfalls is under capitalization to support your business in the early stages. I hope you can find a way to get through these initial stages to see some of the fruit of your labor. BOL

Longsnowsm

DesertRat 10-08-2006 06:37 AM

Not sure if this is a possibility, being you have limited broker contacts but... There is a damn lot of LTL freight coming out of the Chicago/Milwaukee areas. Sometimes you can book two or three partials and build a load worth some serious bucks. My last employer used to do that pretty consistantly, and generally came up with some good money overall. LTL can be trying on the driver at times, but it can also pay.

10-08-2006 09:23 AM

I find it interesting....... YOU ARE A BUSINESS PERSON FIRST!!!!!!! A TRUCK DRIVER SECOND!!!!!! If one wants to be a steering wheelholder, one has NO BUSINESS being a O/O with their own authority. Sorry about your situation.... but....................

GMAN 10-08-2006 01:00 PM

I am sorry for your situation. I think you can still pull out of the situation. I would expand my broker list. You didn't mention the type of trailer you are pulling. You need two things when you are running under your authority....a good rate and miles. I would look into running other areas. There is a lot of freight running from Chicago to the Southeast or farther into the Midwest. From your post I am guessing that he only wants to run from Ohio to Chicago or Wisconsin. In this business you need to run where the freight is best. If you will let me know the type of freight you are hauling, I will try to suggest some brokers. There is decent paying freight but things have been a little soft for a couple of months. It is very difficult to find the better paying loads when you are driving the truck and doing everything else necessary to make the business work. Good luck.

10-08-2006 01:24 PM

Wouldn't you think it would be a good job for someone to take on a handful of truckers like myself and handle making arraignments for there loads? They could take care of faxing all the documents required, finding the loads and that's pretty much it. I would gladly pay someone for each load they setup for me.

Do these people exist? I'm not talking about brokers but someone who actually takes care of a few people?

RostyC 10-08-2006 01:27 PM

Sort of a freelance dispatcher. 8)

10-08-2006 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RostyC
Sort of a freelance dispatcher. 8)

Yes, exactly!

sharbear36 10-08-2006 02:12 PM

Thanks for all the information. I know what you mean about the faxing and everything because that is what I used to do. I would work my full-time job, come home sign the confirmations for 2 drivers, fax them back, enter them into my spreadsheet, file, enter the past paperwork, fuel, bills, etc. It doesn't sound like alot but to keep accurate records really was time consuming. Especially when one of the brokers needed invoices and extra paperwork. I didn't complain, I tried to support. From what I'm gathering, he did alot wrong and the timing now doesn't allow for him to make it right. I have 10 days to pay 3 months on my mortgage and I don't see that happening at all. I wish I would have come to this board a month ago or before he started this to begin with. He was determined, I was against it 100% because I knew he was jumping in too quickly. What can you do but look forward and try to fix it.

Sharbear

yoopr 10-08-2006 06:42 PM

GB is only 100 miles north of you and they have a LOT of diversified types of Freight heading both East and West.

GMAN 10-08-2006 10:53 PM

There are a few out there who could probably provide that service. I have even had a few who have approached me about it, so I know that there is a need. I know someone now who is very good at that sort of thing but she got out of trucking and doesn't want to deal with all the dispatching, etc., It takes time to do all the paperwork. Most brokers will not allow you to pick up a load without them first having a signed confirmation faxed back to them.

Sonny Pruitt 10-08-2006 10:53 PM

Steve there are a few people on getloaded message board that arrange loads fax etc

GMAN 10-08-2006 11:29 PM

You may check the OOIDA forum. There is a guy who's daughter was offering that service. I don't recall the name, but you could probably do a search. I believe she lived in Texas.

RostyC 10-09-2006 12:26 AM

Holy cow Steve our idea took off like a rocket :shock: I think we screwed up by posting on the internet, man I hate pirating! :lol: :lol:

brian 10-09-2006 03:38 AM

my wife does this, heck I even do it some times when i`m bored.

RostyC 10-09-2006 09:12 PM

What does a service like this usually cost neighbor?.....ughhh I mean brian. :lol:

stevedb28 10-10-2006 12:10 AM

I have a question for you. Im not trying to pry and Im sorry for your situation that you are in. But are you working? I dont like to admit it because of the hit to my ego, but my wife has saved us from disaster more times than I can count. She didnt know much about the line of work she is in when she started some 5 yrs ago, but she started out at around 9.00 an hour and is now making over 13.00. The main reason Im asking is because I know that o/os dont usually make a steady income and some weeks you may make 2k and others 200 after repairs and fuel. And, if you are having problems with late house payments, I am thinking that the lack of steady income may be a problem. I am not saying you (the wife) are to blame or anything. But if you arent working, I would rethink my thinking about what he needs to do to get you all out of trouble. I know my own wife has lifted a huge burden off my shoulders the day she started working. Even if its just 14k a yr, its 14k more a year than you would have had. But I really hope everything works out for you guys.

Collard Greens 10-10-2006 02:32 AM

Try Schneider Brokerage, The Allen Lund Company, and CRST Logistics. I get my better loads from allen Lund and CRST Logistics. I make good money with Schneider on Short Loads usually 200 miles or less.

brian 10-10-2006 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RostyC
What does a service like this usually cost neighbor?.....ughhh I mean brian. :lol:

75$ flat rate, if its something special and she`d have to pull permits of course it`d be more.

10-11-2006 07:59 AM

I'm really surprised there arn't people like this all over the place. I would think it would be a great stay at home job. Not just handling new people but experienced vets also. I've heard first hand from seasoned drivers that they sat for many hours looking for a load because they forgot to repost there truck for the next load. Then they spent lots of time on the laptop looking for another load then waiting for faxes to come in, sign them then faxing back out. Calling the insurance company so they can fax your insurance documents to the broker or shipper so you can be qualified if your not already. It's a lot of time and effort that anyone could do. I do know of one person that has a guy that handles him and I think he pays something like $25 or $50 per load. I would think someone handling 10 drivers could pull in a decent pay per week doing this.

csramsey640 10-11-2006 12:30 PM

Quote:

Hi all,

I know that I wasn't very specific so let me go into a little detail. My husband has been driving truck since he was 18 and is now 41. For the last 6-7 years he has been driving leased onto a company as an owner operator making very good money but he wanted to do it under his own authority. YOUR RIGHT, he did it all wrong, they didn't have a nest egg to start with and that's where the problems started. Especially when they started when the fuel rates were ridiculous. . Yes, we The reason we can't go to a company is because our finances were that of when he was an operator leased on. We became very comfortable with that income, not really beyond our means but then you have to add in back taxeshave done things the wrong way and we were finally getting those taxes taken care of until the own authority came about. I believe that he does have some good brokers that he can call but he always seems to have trouble on the backhauls. No matter where he seems to go, there isn't something coming back to where he needs to be to pick up the next load. He is going from west chicago to bedfordheights, OH and getting $775 but then he might take a load from CH Robinson back for $450. Seems ok? However, there have been repairs and then you add in the fuel and I'm not sure those are the loads to be taking. I have searched the internet high and low yesterday and tried to build new relationships with brokers to have more than 5 or 6 options because we have to save the house. I'm just not sure what we are doing wrong, I know there is money to be made this way.

Thank you for reading and giving any advice you may have, I do appreciate it

Im sorry, but I think you have to put your priorities back in check. Everyone has had it rough here and there, but if it means loosing your home just to "stay comfortable" with your current income, then I believe thats your problem. But since money was decent then, why not lease back on with someone? Im not trying act better than you or not, trust me, I-we have had it rough. However if you cant afford-you cant afford. You cant spend more than you bring in, no matter how comfortable it makes you. Getting authority is going into business for yourself. It takes a special breed, it takes long hours, etc

LOAD IT 10-12-2006 03:48 AM

Sharbear, I feel for your situation and my wife has expressed to me your same feelings. Enough of the pity party. You need to see what you guys are doing right. You said that you help with the two drivers, so I ass-u-me that you have two trucks on the road. Is that correct? Either way, your company has to stretch out the runs, run Wisconsin to Texas, Wisconsin to Florida, Wisconsin to Pensylvania. Try to get some direct shippers. Wisconsin is a GREAT freight state. You are sitting on a gold mine. Chicago to Cleveland for $775 aint too shabby depending on what trailer youre pulling and what route you take. $775 + $450 over two days for 700 mile round trip is $1.75 /mile. You cant expect this everyday and in your dire situation you need to consider longer loads and running a little hot. Chicago to Dallas for $1500-1800 in 1.5 days and take a cheap load back to get another Chicago to Dallas $1500-1800 youve now made a minimum $3500 in a week. Also you have to prebook loads for your husband before he gets empty.

Also, you may need to refinance your home ASAP to prevent foreclosure. I hope that you guys can rebound from this. You are in it now and there is no reason to fail. We will keep you in our prayers and you do the same. You can get out of this with hardwork and a positive attitude. If not, what do you want for the trucks?

yoopr 10-12-2006 03:58 AM

The Truck is listed on the For Sale Section