User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2007, 04:26 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

$1.77/mi....probably. In fact so! But you get the joys of chaining and tarping (hard work). I make WELL over $3-4/mi, but its not as easy as bumping docks....its pretty labor intensive (HHG-also hard work).

Supply and demand-
lots of vans = cheap freight
few refers= higher paying
heavy haul- grreat pay!

It all depends on the niche you find, and how much BS you can take making it 8)
Old 01-27-2007, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
$1.77/mi....probably. In fact so! But you get the joys of chaining and tarping (hard work). I make WELL over $3-4/mi, but its not as easy as bumping docks....its pretty labor intensive (HHG-also hard work).

Supply and demand-
heavy haul- grreat pay!

It is really hard to get a firm handle on what is going on right now. Driving for Forward Air, whenever I stop for fuel people come up to me and ask me what's it like to drive for Forward Air? How much money am I making, and so forth? Most recently it was a reefer guy claiming he was getting eaten alive by lower rates and lots of product refusals. The day before that I was approached by a guy driving a flat for Arrow telling me he was only getting loads every other day and would go broke if things didn't improve soon.

If you look at the Truckloadrate.com website you find the rates for Van, Reefer AND Flatbed are all going down. It is hard to really see where the best chance for success really is.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:10 AM
Senior Board Member

I would agree that flat rates are off a little in the last couple of weeks. I spent all week trying to get something over $2 for Monday and finally locked two partials up today.

But the money is still there when they need the stuff moved. Case in point. 4pm Friday afternoon the phone rings. What would you need to deadhead 275 miles for a pickup on Monday or Tuesday next week?

But the truck was booked. Can't drop the partials now.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:27 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul McGraw
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin

Supply and demand-
heavy haul- grreat pay!

It is really hard to get a firm handle on what is going on right now. Driving for Forward Air, whenever I stop for fuel people come up to me and ask me what's it like to drive for Forward Air? How much money am I making, and so forth? Most recently it was a reefer guy claiming he was getting eaten alive by lower rates and lots of product refusals. The day before that I was approached by a guy driving a flat for Arrow telling me he was only getting loads every other day and would go broke if things didn't improve soon.

If you look at the Truckloadrate.com website you find the rates for Van, Reefer AND Flatbed are all going down. It is hard to really see where the best chance for success really is.
This is the way I see it-

vans - lots of them and its easier work than the rest of the industry = lowest pay

flats - lots of them, but also u can haul some specialized stuff to increase the rates you will be able to obtain.

heavy haul - lower supply= very good rates, but the down side is the increased tractor and trailer costs will hopefull offset the good paying freight. Also some of these guys sit for days looking for another heavy load!

Also, ALL rates are moving down right now. There is very lil freight moving this part of the year, even though this year it seems rediculously low!
Old 01-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Senior Board Member

i`m in florida...pretty drunk actually being 4am and all....about to hop in bed with my wife for some lovin....kids are in grandma and grandpas room....freight can stay slow for a while longer....

its all about making the money while its there so you can take off when it slows down
Old 01-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Senior Board Member

God Bless ya brian. go for it! :lol:
Old 01-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Freight is off in all sectors. Part of it is the time of year. Things will likely not improve much for a few more weeks. I have seen some slight movement upward for some freight this week. Some freight is still very cheap. I know it is difficult to sit when you have bills to pay, but there is also no reason to run if you cannot make a profit. I would suggest that if you want to make a change, to do so in an area that you enjoy. It is never a good idea to make a switch just for the money. If you enjoy what you do, the money will follow.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
i`m in florida...pretty drunk actually being 4am and all....about to hop in bed with my wife for some lovin....kids are in grandma and grandpas room....freight can stay slow for a while longer....

its all about making the money while its there so you can take off when it slows down
Amen! Just got home from an 11 day cruise from the Carribbean with my dad (also bedbugger). This is another point I should make in the LTL thread :wink: