Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Failed Calif general knowledge test 3 times, yikes! (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/9674-failed-calif-general-knowledge-test-3-times-yikes.html)

Mandilon 07-10-2005 03:11 AM

Failed Calif general knowledge test 3 times, yikes!

I say these THIEVES (Calif DMV) write these tests in a maliciously deceiving way so that they can collect (steal) an additional $60 in fees from at LEAST 51% (the majority) of Calif CDL seekers!

Question # 16) If you need to leave the road in a traffic emergency, you should:

a) Try to get all wheels off the pavement.

b) Avoid braking until your speed has dropped to 20 MPH.

c) Avoid driving on the shoulder of the road.

>>>> Which would YOU have chosen as CORRECT?

I asked:

http://www.testquestionsandanswers.com

for a refund.

Do you think I'll get one?

They claim to have TWO MILLION happy customers!

I'm certainly NOT one of them.

>>>> Will post CORRECT (according to the THIEVES) answer when:

1) At least 100 drivers (if all the votes are pretty evenly distributed)

2) As soon as anyone answer gets 35 votes.

OR >>>>

3) If ONE answer receives 10 votes with the other two receiving ZERO.

THX for your participation, drive SAFE & God Bless you and your loved ones

'.....to continue'

BIG JEEP on 44's 07-10-2005 07:06 PM

well If I remember correctly your supposed to try ,And leave one set of axles on the pavement , so that would eliminate (A) as a the answer ,And if I remember correctly the learners manual stated most shoulders are built strong enough to handle the weight of your truck & trailer so that would eliminate (C) as the answer so I would go with (B) as the answer .

RockyMtnProDriver 07-10-2005 07:13 PM

So, after you have your drivers license and you.

A - park your truck with part of it out on the road and someone runs into the back of it and dies.

B - spike your brakes and loose control of the truck and jackknife

C - drive too far off the road and flip your unit in the ditch.

Are you going to ask for a refund for the road test you took also?

BIG JEEP on 44's 07-10-2005 07:41 PM

A. = 0 votes
b. = 10 votes b) Avoid braking until your speed has dropped to 20 MPH
c. = 0 votes

And the alternate comedy list o answers is :

Question # 16) If you need to leave the road in a traffic emergency, you should:

a) Try to get all wheels off the pavement the best way to accomplish this , would be in using the trailer brake while violently over steering in one direction. this will help in putting your trailer on it's side where it will have the most traction available to help you come to a stop .

b) Avoid braking until your speed has dropped to 20 MPH , Or you have run into something with sufficien density to stop your vehicle .

c) Air down tires as low as possible for greater off road traction (beadlocks are helpfull) ,As this will also alow your tires to better flex over rocks ,and debris found off -road .

Snowman7 07-10-2005 08:47 PM

The obvious answer is A. Of course you want to get your truck completely off the road unless there is no room to do so. It would take quite a while to let the truck coast down to 20 mph and aren't emergencies the reason for a shoulder in the first place? I say a.

Snowman7 07-10-2005 08:50 PM

Now that I read it again I dont like the use of the word "pavement". Off the road and onto the shoulder yes, but off the "pavement" and onto what?

RockyMtnProDriver 07-10-2005 09:14 PM

I use to run down this road in Idaho where the lanes where about 10 feet wide, there was a 6 inch wide piece of dirt, and the ditch.

Get all your wheels off the road there and you have one very narrow truck.

You wonder who writes those tests. Certainly no one who has actually ever driven a truck.

In our air brake manual, it shows a diagram. In the diagram it shows the supply line to the trailer completely broken and massive air loss.

In a caption besides it it says "in this diagram you will see that even though the supply line is broken, the driver can make a control ed stop"..

If you break your supply line, your trailer brakes dynamite immediately. Your wheels would lock up and if it was icy, the trailer is coming up the side of the tractor and getting ready to slap you upside the head.

If it is dry, you will be skidding the trailer tires.

Does not sound like much control going on there.

I showed them the mistake. They still have not fixed it. Bureaucrats

:evil:

BIG JEEP on 44's 07-10-2005 09:41 PM

http://www.revenue.state.co.us/mv_di...incl=handbooks

First visit the above web address then look at section 2:15(e mergencies) then go to the part that describes leaving the road .

BIG JEEP on 44's 07-10-2005 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyMtnProDriver
I use to run down this road in Idaho where the lanes where about 10 feet wide, there was a 6 inch wide piece of dirt, and the ditch.

Get all your wheels off the road there and you have one very narrow truck.

You wonder who writes those tests. Certainly no one who has actually ever driven a truck.

In our air brake manual, it shows a diagram. In the diagram it shows the supply line to the trailer completely broken and massive air loss.

In a caption besides it it says "in this diagram you will see that even though the supply line is broken, the driver can make a control ed stop"..

If you break your supply line, your trailer brakes dynamite immediately. Your wheels would lock up and if it was icy, the trailer is coming up the side of the tractor and getting ready to slap you upside the head.

If it is dry, you will be skidding the trailer tires.

Does not sound like much control going on there.

I showed them the mistake. They still have not fixed it. Bureaucrats

:evil:

I don't belive the manual said to get all the vehicle wheels off the road . What I understood the manual to be saying is to get as much of your vehicle off onto the shoulder as it takes to avoid an accident ,But try to atleast leave a set of tires on the road ,so you really are''nt trying to drive off the road any further than it takes to avoid collision .

And when it comes to the DMV not up-dating information ,they still list HANGING MEAT as a type of load tha needs special attention yet HANGING MEAT is no longer an issue as it's been outlawed ,But it's still listed as a load that needs special attention in the DMV handbook ( nothing like good up to date info )

ben45750 07-10-2005 11:10 PM

This question was on my CDL test and was also a question I saw in truck driving school, If you leave the pavement you are most likely on a dirt or grass surface with a possible sideways grade. You apply the brakes to stop your done. You are supposed to coast to 20 mph or below (if you can not safely get back on the road) before applying the brakes.