Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   I just recently received my CDL (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/42332-i-just-recently-received-my-cdl.html)

roadRunner360 02-24-2012 04:03 AM

I just recently received my CDL

I just got a job offer, with an owner operator doing long haul. I just recently received my CDL. He offers me 15 cents a mile,
because of lack of experience. Is this a fair offer? Thanks for you input.

mitchno1 02-24-2012 04:17 AM

cant do 100miles in a hour mate

Fredog 02-25-2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadRunner360 (Post 509054)
I just got a job offer, with an owner operator doing long haul. I just recently received my CDL. He offers me 15 cents a mile,

No, that is WAY too much for a beginner, you should do it for 10 cents a mile

usncporetired 02-25-2012 01:14 AM

That realistically translates to about $8.25/hour. Are you willing to work and be gone for that?

roadRunner360 02-25-2012 05:18 AM

It seems like this is the only way to get my foot thought the door. I respond to job posting, fax resume, and file online application. Everyone wants min. 2 years experience. After I received my CDL, I knew it was just the beginning. So I bought a few books "Bumper to Bumper"(The complete guide to Tractor-trailer Operations),"The Tractor Trailer Book" (Practical Advice for Driving Tractor Trailers) and a few DVD. I just want an opportunity.

mitchno1 02-25-2012 05:45 AM

just think it bit hard to think theyd expect you to work for that sort of money from what i see in this forum ,dont any your companies pay by the hour

Fredog 02-25-2012 03:03 PM

Crete Carrier will hire you as a trainee, you would have to go with a trainer for a while, but you would make more, and have benefits

Mr. Ford95 02-25-2012 03:57 PM

There are most definitely companies out there who will take you on for more than that per mile. New drivers with no experience are making double or more than the $0.15 a mile you were offered. The only question is, how did you get your CDL, did you go thru a school or did you borrow someone's truck and do the test on your own?

roadRunner360 02-25-2012 06:32 PM

I went to a driving school to get my training. I'm able to pass mandatory screening.

Mr. Ford95 02-25-2012 07:43 PM

Check into some of the starter companies like Swift, Schneider, Werner, but STAY AWAY from CR England. Last I knew Swift paid the least per mile at like 27 cents per mile but all paid more than 15 cents.

roadRunner360 02-25-2012 07:59 PM

Thanks a lot Mr.Ford95, and Fredog

repete 02-25-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 (Post 509099)
Check into some of the starter companies like Swift, Schneider, Werner, but STAY AWAY from CR England. Last I knew Swift paid the least per mile at like 27 cents per mile but all paid more than 15 cents.

Good advice here, USA Truck has a lower pay then swifts I heard from a driver .24 (i think) Crete Carrier might take you on, they want PTDI grads but do make exceptions. Pay there is in the .3? cpm range and goes up till you hit .40 cpm at one year.
Also pay (or did) $500 a week while out with a trainer and this is a biggie NO TEAM "training"and that means you don't kill yourself while the so called trainer is in the sleeper.

Fredog 02-25-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete (Post 509102)
Good advice here, USA Truck has a lower pay then swifts I heard from a driver .24 (i think) Crete Carrier might take you on, they want PTDI grads but do make exceptions. Pay there is in the .3? cpm range and goes up till you hit .40 cpm at one year.
Also pay (or did) $500 a week while out with a trainer and this is a biggie NO TEAM "training"and that means you don't kill yourself while the so called trainer is in the sleeper.

Crete is by far the best choice

golfhobo 02-26-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadRunner360 (Post 509054)

A Long Haul operator may be talking about team runs. IS HE? Because 15 cpm for a SOLO is a laughing matter... but, for a TEAM "trainee," it is not so bad (as a way to start.)

MANY solo companies start trainees as a "team" and split the pay to the truck between the two of you while you are in training... but that is for All MILES the truck runs.

IF you do 5000 miles/wk at 15 cpm, you could make MORE than some of the regulars here who are making less than 30 cpm solo for LESS miles (done Solo.)

IF the O/O needs you to help him make long runs, and is going to pay you 15 cpm for ALL the miles the truck runs.... and IF you guys turn 5000 miles/wk while HE (or someone else) is training you... you will do okay to start. You need to tell me more info for me to help you further. I started at less than 15 cpm for team runs, and now make much more than that.

NO "solo driver" can make a living at 15 cpm under the HOS. But, a team driver CAN.

roadRunner360 02-28-2012 07:10 PM

I should have explained from the beginning that he's looking for a second driver to do team runs. That's total miles that the truck runs between two of us. I will ask him how many miles he completes in a week.

GMAN 03-01-2012 05:16 AM

If you will be driving team, then you could earn a decent paycheck at $0.15/mile. If the truck only averaged 1,000/miles per day, then you would earn $150/day. That would not be a bad paycheck.

Fredog 03-01-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 509169)
If you will be driving team, then you could earn a decent paycheck at $0.15/mile. If the truck only averaged 1,000/miles per day, then you would earn $150/day. That would not be a bad paycheck.

you do realize that you will be living with a person that you dont know dont you?

repete 03-01-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog (Post 509174)
you do realize that you will be living with a person that you dont know dont you?

And that is a deal breaker right there for me! I don't even get along with myself!

DaveP 03-01-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete (Post 509176)
And that is a deal breaker right there for me! I don't even get along with myself!

I know the feeling. I tic me off and can't even walk away...!

Orangetxguy 03-01-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveP (Post 509177)
I know the feeling. I tic me off and can't even walk away...!

HEY!! You gotta love the arguments though!!!

:p

Jayhop 03-02-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete (Post 509176)

I agree with those sentiments... I start with Werner soon and that is my biggest concern. I only have to do 275 hours with a trainer... but.. truck living is REALLY close quarters.