Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Flatbeds and Tiney Chains (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/41414-flatbeds-tiney-chains.html)

GPC 06-21-2011 07:32 PM

Flatbeds and Tiney Chains

Just wondering what it is with flatbed people and these 5/16" chains and pop binders when they haul equipment.

I've constantly see flatbeds and stepdecks around here hauling equipment with only 4 5/16" chains and if I'm lucky they might have one over the bucket or blade. Is it really that hard to put on a coupple extra chains?

Example. Coupple of weeks ago I was hauling a Cat 324DL excavator (aprox. 56,000lbs). I had 4 1/2" ratchet binders on the corners of the tracks, 2 3/8" grade 100 chains in a x pulling from the center to the front of the trailer, and two more 3/8" chains from the center of the machine in a x to the rear of the trailer, then one 3/8" grade 70 over the bucket.

A step deck pulls in next to me with the same machine minus the bucket. All he has is 2 5/16" chains from the front corners of the tracks to the fron of the trailer in a x and 2 more 5/16" in a x on the back. Also no oversize load sings on the back of the trailer and no flags. Not safe at all.

I see crap like this all the time with stepdecks and flatbeds even some lowboys and it's starting to pi** me off. And has me wondering how they don't get caught.:pissedoff:

GMAN 06-21-2011 10:59 PM

I am surprised that the other guy didn't get nailed for not having flags and signs. I assume that he was over width?

GPC 06-21-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 499261)
I am surprised that the other guy didn't get nailed for not having flags and signs. I assume that he was over width?

Yeah he was about 11' wide.

By no means is this a bash on all flatbed people. It just makes me mad when I see something like this it, seems I get stoped for a inspection about 5min later.

Sealord 06-22-2011 06:23 PM

Flatbeds and Tiney Chains

Ignorance, lazy, and probably locals who think nothing will happen to them. In any case, hope a DOT bear gets 'em. BOL

GMAN 06-22-2011 10:31 PM

At one time, I used to haul coils out of Sparrows Point. I used to see drivers pull 45,000+ pound coils with only 2 chains. I actually said something to a few of them. Their answer was usually similar. "I am only going to New Jersey" or "I am only going 100 miles." I usually put at least one more chain or strap than is necessary for the load. I remember once leaving that particular plant and had to lock my breaks down shortly after getting on I-95. I was so glad that I didn't do as those drivers and only have 2 chains on my load. I don't believe that 2 chains would have held my coil. I had 5 chains on the coil and it held just fine. I could not help but think that had one of those drivers been in the same situation that either them or an unsuspecting group of motorists could have been seriously hurt or killed. You can't have too much chain or straps on a load.

Windwalker 06-23-2011 10:51 AM

One issue I can think of is the weight of the steel. The more weight you carry in chains, the less you can haul. I'd say that most drivers are company drivers. That means they're using the equipment that the company provides. When a company looks at the weight difference between having one exhaust stack and two, (and orders their trucks with one stack so they can haul 300 pounds more freight...) they also look at the weight difference between the different chains as well. And, on that basis, they also limit the number of chains a driver has. When pounds = bottom line, they're going to trim every corner they can.

On my truck, I carried 16 chains instead of 12 (and mine were half again as long as chains provided to company drivers), and I also had 20 binders (14 snap binders and 6 rachet binders, and I believe most companies provide one binder per chain). The 4 inch straps, which are much lighter, the companies may provide 14, and I carried 18 at the least. When the company supplies the equipment, most drivers have to make due with what the company gives them. And, often, the people that determine what will be on the truck for the driver to use have never even held a steering wheel, much less tried to secure a load.

chain binder 06-28-2011 09:08 PM

I remember when I drove for Maverick. I had picked up some coils in Houston Texas. As I was going around the loop a Harris County DOT pulled me over. He said they were checking all flatbed loads. After checking my load and being happy with it.He said that a local driver was hauling steel coils and was only going 5 miles down the road,but the coils were tied down with rope. We are talking about a 40,000 lb.coil tied down with rope going down I-10 in Houston.Now that is stupid.

Windwalker 06-29-2011 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chain binder (Post 499508)
I remember when I drove for Maverick. I had picked up some coils in Houston Texas. As I was going around the loop a Harris County DOT pulled me over. He said they were checking all flatbed loads. After checking my load and being happy with it.He said that a local driver was hauling steel coils and was only going 5 miles down the road,but the coils were tied down with rope. We are talking about a 40,000 lb.coil tied down with rope going down I-10 in Houston.Now that is stupid.

Care to take a guess just how many local drivers have had "incidents" with coils of wire and coils of steel in the Chicago area? For that matter, plain sheets of steel that didn't stay on the trailer. Lost coils that unrolled down the hiway, coils moving on the bed of the trailer, rigs rolled over on the get-off ramps. One coil of aluminum looked like a shiny metal air duct that stretched for nearly half a mile.

I'd say that most local drivers are good and competent. But, there always seems to be a handful that shouldn't be driving anything bigger than Tonka. Of course, the same holds true for OTR drivers too.

I even remember a broker that wasn't going to load me because I was pulling a step. Every step he loaded lost coils. I convinced him to load me, and took a picture of the load. When I got to the delivery, I took a pic again. I sent them both to him. No coil moved a fraction of an inch. I understand that after that, I was the only driver he would allow to get loaded with a step.

mgfg 06-29-2011 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windwalker (Post 499313)
One issue I can think of is the weight of the steel. The more weight you carry in chains, the less you can haul. I'd say that most drivers are company drivers. That means they're using the equipment that the company provides. When a company looks at the weight difference between having one exhaust stack and two, (and orders their trucks with one stack so they can haul 300 pounds more freight...) they also look at the weight difference between the different chains as well. And, on that basis, they also limit the number of chains a driver has. When pounds = bottom line, they're going to trim every corner they can.

Or put a 350 lb buffet buster behind the wheel.

Mr. Ford95 06-29-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windwalker (Post 499313)
I'd say that most drivers are company drivers. That means they're using the equipment that the company provides. When the company supplies the equipment, most drivers have to make due with what the company gives them. And, often, the people that determine what will be on the truck for the driver to use have never even held a steering wheel, much less tried to secure a load.

I have this exact problem. I was given enough grief over getting 2 ratchet binders to bring my allotment up to 4 total. I've since broke down to swiping 2 snap binders and 2 more chains from trucks that are sitting collecting dust. I have one particular piece of equipment that I haul in which I'm certain DOT will try to bust me for. Problem is, it's tied down to the exact specs that the manufactuer reccommends for it being tied down in order to not damage anything on it. In fact I carry the owner's manual with me when hauling it for when I am stopped at some point.

GPC 07-01-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 (Post 499536)
I have this exact problem. I was given enough grief over getting 2 ratchet binders to bring my allotment up to 4 total. I've since broke down to swiping 2 snap binders and 2 more chains from trucks that are sitting collecting dust. I have one particular piece of equipment that I haul in which I'm certain DOT will try to bust me for. Problem is, it's tied down to the exact specs that the manufactuer reccommends for it being tied down in order to not damage anything on it. In fact I carry the owner's manual with me when hauling it for when I am stopped at some point.

Mr. Ford would you mind telling me what kind of machine it is? I might be able to help you out with how to chain it down.

Mr. Ford95 07-01-2011 08:57 PM

Ummm no thanks on the help, I already chain it down to the manufacturer's spec's which the manual states are DOT certified. It's a PowerCurber 5700 SuperB, it just looks funky how I have it strapped down due to the design of it at the rear hooks. Lemme see if I can get a pic to load of the left side:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s.../Camera010.jpg

It only weighs in at 24K but it's f-ing top heavy as heck. I have two chains on the front hooks, one on either side of the track and one chain on each rear track hook.

GPC 07-01-2011 09:57 PM

Mr. Ford it really dosen't look that bad. I've hauled a few of those and chain it nearly the same way. Hate having to load them as the tracks don't want to line up with the ramps on the lowboy. And if you slide the rear tracks so it will line up when you get it on the trailer and slide the track back in it always seems to tear a board up.

Mackman 07-02-2011 12:38 PM

Is this to your liking.

Track-hoe 4 binders right tot he track. (no chain used) and a chain over the bucket.
This is the best pic i have.
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/100_0391.jpg

AWD fork truck. 2 chains and a strap over the forks.
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/100_0401.jpg

Mr. Ford95 07-02-2011 01:33 PM

Well I don't have a pic of the right side with the right rear track, that's where it looks really funky. I have had a close call with it and the machine never budged, nearly turtled it after 2 spotters let me drop my right side trailer tires into a car swallowing hole while backing me into a jobsite. The one was staring right at it and telling me to keep on coming. My ramps can slide so it's no biggie on the tracks not lining up.:cool:

I do the same on the backhoe's Mack. Toss a strap over the back bucket and good to go.

GPC 07-03-2011 01:26 AM

Mackman, on a excavator that small there is nothing wrong with four binders hooked directly to the tracks and one chain and binder over the bucket. Forklift looks good. There is nothing wrong with using just two chains in that way as long as you have the four binders.

Just remeber that if you hook a binder directly to the machine the working load limit for the binder is cut in half. Like if you have a 3/8" binder rated at 9,500lbs when hooked direct it's only worth 4,750. Make sure though that you have atleast half the weight of the machine tied down as that is what is requierd by DOT.

Mr. Ford from what I can see of it that is one of the cleanest dump trucks I've ever seen.

mgfg 07-03-2011 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPC (Post 499635)
Just remeber that if you hook a binder directly to the machine the working load limit for the binder is cut in half. Like if you have a 3/8" binder rated at 9,500lbs when hooked direct it's only worth 4,750. Make sure though that you have atleast half the weight of the machine tied down as that is what is requierd by DOT.

3/8'' binders don't get a 9,500 lb rating, 1/2'' binders do.

Can you show in the load securement regs where attaching a binder directly to a machine reduces the wll by 50% please. I do it all the time and I have never heard of it nor have I had it brought to my attention by law enforcement.

GPC 07-03-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgfg (Post 499636)
3/8'' binders don't get a 9,500 lb rating, 1/2'' binders do.

Can you show in the load securement regs where attaching a binder directly to a machine reduces the wll by 50% please. I do it all the time and I have never heard of it nor have I had it brought to my attention by law enforcement.

Yeah you are part right. I've got binders that have a hook that will grab both a 3/8" and 1/2" chain they are rated at 9,500. Then I've got some that will hook to 1/2" and 5/8" chain and I belive they are rated at 13,000lbs.

Will try to find the securment regs for you.

GPC 07-03-2011 12:31 PM

Here we go.
Quote:

sect;393.106(d)
Quote:

a.Applicability. The rules in this section are applicable to the transportation of all types of articles of cargo, except commodities in bulk that lack structure or fixed shape (e.g., liquids, gases, grain, liquid concrete, sand, gravel, aggregates) and are transported in a tank, hopper, box or similar device that forms part of the structure of a commercial motor vehicle. The rules in this section apply to the cargo types covered by the commodity-specific rules of 393.116 through 393.136. The commodity-specific rules take precedence over the general requirements of this section when additional requirements are given for a commodity listed in those sections.
b.General. Cargo must be firmly immobilized or secured on or within a vehicle by structures of adequate strength, dunnage or dunnage bags, shoring bars, tiedowns or a combination of these.
c.Cargo placement and restraint.
1.Articles of cargo that are likely to roll must be restrained by chocks, wedges, a cradle or other equivalent means to prevent rolling. The means of preventing rolling must not be capable of becoming unintentionally unfastened or loose while the vehicle is in transit.
2.Articles or cargo placed beside each other and secured by transverse tiedowns must either:
i.Be placed in direct contact with each other, or
ii.Be prevented from shifting towards each other while in transit.
d.(d) Minimum strength of cargo securement devices and systems. The aggregate working load limit of any securement system used to secure an article or group of articles against movement must be at least one-half times the weight of the article or group of articles. The aggregate working load limit is the sum of:
1.One-half of the working load limit of each associated connector or attachment mechanism used to secure a part of the article of cargo to the vehicle; and
2.One-half of the working load limit for each end section of a tiedown that is attached to an anchor point.
Quote:

Issue 4: & sect;393.106(d) - Determining the aggregate working load limits for tiedowns.
Quote:

Agency Policy: The aggregate working load limit of tiedowns used to secure an article or group of articles against movement must be at least one-half times the weight of the article or group of articles. The aggregate working load limit is the sum of:

1.1. One-half the working load limit of each tiedown that goes from an anchor point on the vehicle to an attachment point on an article of cargo; and
2.2. The working load limit for each tiedown that goes from an anchor point on the vehicle, through, over or around the cargo and then attaches to another anchor point on the vehicle.
Discussion: Based on numerous telephone inquiries from FMCSA field offices, State enforcement agencies, and industry groups, FMCSA has determined that the intent of & sect;393.106(d) is not easily understood. During the notice-and-comment rulemaking process, the agency proposed certain requirements that would necessitate the distinction between what were referred to as " direct tiedowns " and " indirect tiedowns. " After reviewing the docket comments, the agency attempted to adopt a more straightforward approach for calculating the aggregate working load limit, while preserving the potential safety benefits of making the distinction between the two types of tiedowns. While the language in the Final Rule is easier to understand than the proposed rule, it is still not sufficiently clear. This policy provides an effective approach for adding working load limits for individual tiedowns in a cargo securement system, and yields the same answer as the current regulatory language.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GPC 07-03-2011 12:38 PM

This is the only picture I have of how I tie down evcavators. This John Deere weighed about 56,000Lbs.
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/...C/IMG_0010.jpg

Mr. Ford95 07-03-2011 02:06 PM

Thank you gpc, that pic was taken when things were going good and right after I had done a wash and wax on it. Now the truck doesn't look so good from sitting. I normally do very little rock hauling with it, it's mostly used for moving equipment.

mgfg 07-04-2011 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPC (Post 499644)
Here we go.

You'll have to excuse me and my comprehension defecit but I'm not seeing it/reading it/comprehending it. I see where you require an total wll of 1/2 the weight you're securing (too little imho) but I am not seeing where it says if I hook a binder to a piece you are securing that because you hooked the binder to the piece and not a chain the wll of the binder is reduced by 50%.

GPC 07-04-2011 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgfg (Post 499675)
You'll have to excuse me and my comprehension defecit but I'm not seeing it/reading it/comprehending it. I see where you require an total wll of 1/2 the weight you're securing (too little imho) but I am not seeing where it says if I hook a binder to a piece you are securing that because you hooked the binder to the piece and not a chain the wll of the binder is reduced by 50%.

Mgfg the part hilighted is what you are looking for.

Quote:

1.1. One-half the working load limit of each tiedown that goes from an anchor point on the vehicle to an attachment point on an article of cargo;
This is saying that any direct contact tiedown (such as a binder going from directley from the side of trailer to the machines track) will be rated at half it's working load limit.

Quote:

2.2. The working load limit for each tiedown that goes from an anchor point on the vehicle, through, over or around the cargo and then attaches to another anchor point on the vehicle.

This is saying that any indirect contact with the piece of equipment (such as a binder and chain going from one side of the trailer through a tiedown point on the machine to the other side of the trailer with out ever being directly hooked to the machine) will be worth the whole wll of ethier the binder or chain. Which ever is less.

mgfg 07-04-2011 02:14 AM

How obscure...Thanks (I think) GPC.

That's bizarre! Now I have to re-think some of my load securement or risk some DOT zealot busting me for this.

I wonder what the logic is behind this? What does it matter it a binder secures a piece directly (direct contact) or not? Would a hook and two links of chain make that much difference?

jorlee 07-04-2011 02:22 AM

393.106 (d)

(1) this section is saying from deck to object is 1/2 WLL. trailer-binder-object 1/2

(2) this section says from deck, over, around, or though and back to the same side of deck is also 1/2 WLL driver side trailer - chain - object- chain- binder- driver side 1/2

(3) this says driver side over, though or around object to passenger side is Full WLL left side -chain- object- chain- right side Full Wll

Here's a pic I drew of 1, 2 and 3. 1 and 2 are considered direct securement. 3 is indirect securement. 1 and 2 are directly pulling on the object, which are not putting and equal force downward on the object. 3 is indirectly pushing down on the object. It is doing more work then 1 and 2 therefore it gets full WLL.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...securement.jpg

GPC 07-04-2011 02:48 AM

Jorlee, that is what I was trying to say but, I think your pictures explain it better. Thanks.

jorlee 07-04-2011 02:58 AM

It helps when it was explained to me, as direct and indirect, inside a scale house. He was nice enough to draw me a picture to explain what he ment. Put me OOS for exceeding WLL, and let the tires with cords showing slide. Slapped some more binders on, and away down the road I went. The first thing they see in the scale are lights, and your securement. Because of him, I over kill on securement, and make damn sure my tires are good, in the spring, no less than 4/32nds for me anywhere on the rig.