Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Does anyone have t mobile's wireless broadband service? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/40966-does-anyone-have-t-mobiles-wireless-broadband-service.html)

lowrange 02-24-2011 10:02 AM

Does anyone have t mobile's wireless broadband service?

I want to know how it is, city to city, stop to stop, shipper to consignee.

I've been using Verizon for about 4 years and now I'm looking to switch. Going by the coverage maps alone, particularly in my area, I wouldn't make the switch. I don't know how accurate those coverage maps are, however, so I want to hear from someone actually using the service.

By switching, I'll save $20 per month from my current plan. Also, Verizon's service got really bad last year and when I questioned them on it, they didn't say they had changed or upgraded their system, instead they simply said nothng had changed in "my area". When I said it's "moblie" broadband and asked what "my area" is supposed to be, I got yet another email telling me nothing had changed in "my area". So anyway, I'm now trying to make a change to "my provider".

Anyone use t mobile? TIA

Malaki86 02-24-2011 10:57 AM

I can't help you with TMobile, but I'm more than happy with Sprint. I have a family plan with 1,700 minutes, unlimited mobile-to-mobile, unlimited text and unlimited data (yes - it IS unlimited), 4 phones on the plan. I use the EVO as a WiFi hotspot for my laptop, so I have internet on the laptop without a seperate broadband card. I pay $222 per month for it. Individual plans like that start at, I think, $69.99/month. If you go with the EVO, there's an extra $10/month for their high-speed, plus $20/month for the hotspot feature. As for service, there's very few times when I have no signal whatsoever. the 4G connection only comes into play in large metropolitan areas right now. When I do get a 4G signal, the speed is simply amazing. 99% of the time though, I'm on a 3G connection, which is in the range of 1.2-1.5mbit (comparable to DSL). 4G is in the range of 8-10mbit (comparable to a cable modem).

lowrange 02-24-2011 02:14 PM

Well thanks, I really hadn't considered getting a phone to use as a hotspot. I tend to run away from iphones and whatnot, I just don't have time to get a degree in how to use a telephone... :-( I know I'm out of date though, I was just hoping to keep it simple.

bentstrider 03-07-2011 08:28 AM

I currently use my 3G myTouch with a PDANet tether program that I installed in both the phone and the laptop.
Since getting back into driving and having no air-card, this option works just as good.

strawberryrhubarbpie 03-08-2011 01:12 PM

Using a cell phone to connect your laptop to the internet? Did I hear that right? I'm a bit behind technology also, a lot changed the last few years while I was living in Panama LOL.

Malaki86 03-08-2011 11:27 PM

Yup - you heard correctly. My phone, the HTC EVO, for example, has a wifi hotspot feature. When I turn that on ($19.99/mo), it allows up to 5 devices (such as laptops) to connect to the internet through my cell phone by using the devices WiFi. No wires, no fuss. I set it up as a secured connection, so unless you know my password, you can't connect to it. This is through Sprint, and with the package I have, there are no limits on my data usage whatsoever.