Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   questions from a wannabe. (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/40044-questions-wannabe.html)

TNVOL01 06-15-2010 05:08 PM

Well I don't make anything right now, they just laid me off about 6 hours ago...I was basically a placeholder for someone else that just got out of college that they are buddy buddy with.

I'm sitting at home pondering applications for Lowes and Home Depot (working in the store at about 8 or 9 an hour) or hoping to luck up and find some production work. It's either that or the road. All I know is I'm looking at the eyes of a 4 year old right now, wondering whether I'll have a roof for him. We just moved in this house about 5 months ago. Things aren't looking good right now.

Kurbski 06-15-2010 05:33 PM

I might consider filing for unemployment and signing up for a cdl course at a local communtiy college close by. Quite a few states have re training assistance or you could call around and see if you are able to use your VA benefits for the training. I know you like flatbeds but Schneider National has alot of openings and will sponsor you at a local cdl school. Roehl or Millis is another option. Roehl has flatbeds. Or after you get a year on you can always move to a flatbed company. BOL and hang in there. Hardship just makes us stronger and worry will rob you of happiness. Start filling out applications this afternoon and get your paperwork moving. If your close to a few termianls you can always drive over and talk to a manager.

Welcome - Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development

Company Truck Drivers | schneiderjobs.com

Millis Training Institute (MTI) Let You Career Take You Places, Get Your Trucking License

GoRoehl

repete 06-15-2010 05:38 PM

I know things aren't looking good right now so don't panic and sign up with some company that promises you big $$$ and training blah blah.... You were working for a school district correct? Were you laid off due to a buget cut/crisis? If so check with your state unemployment office (you need to do that any way NOW) ask if there is any funds availble for cereer training. There is a good chance that the state will pay your tuition at a driving school and CDL fee's. check it out. If you do go this route be aware that unemployment will skip at least 1 week and when you get a driving job you will be out with a trainer for at least2-4 weeks and make little per week($500 is high) so you need to plan for that. BOL

TNVOL01 06-16-2010 10:41 PM

Well you're right. I had to throw on the brakes and regroup. I did come within an inch of signing up for USA Truck. It's such an amazing and intimidating leap to commit to something like trucking. Well at least the companies that want to train you for CDL's anyway.

Don't like the idea of driving way out to BFE and risk failing or them needing some type of obscure paperwork that I didn't bring and get bounced out and have to come back with nothing. So I've decided if I'm going to do this I will NOT go to a Swift or any place where I have to pay them back for a year. So I will try to scrape by perhaps doing some temp work or something in order to get enough to get the cdl first and then go with someone free and clear.