Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   The truck you drive? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/40007-truck-you-drive.html)

Jackrabbit379 08-18-2010 04:13 PM

There ya go. Wallah!

:lol:

eplurubus 08-20-2010 04:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If assigned a truck like the one in the image below, and allowed to run as hard as you want to, no questions asked, who would accept? Most probably would. But what if the job only paid .30/mi and no benefits. Now what? Gotta draw the line somewhere. It's a tough decision for some; not so tough of a decision for others.

golfhobo 08-20-2010 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379:
There ya go. Wallah!

:lol:

Thanks, Wabbit!! I REALLY like this picture! I don't know if the truck is as "bad-ass" as it looks, don't really care. It LOOKS like a truck SHOULD look! And, I'm a big fan of wheatfields.

It gives me a.... um..... well, it REALLY gets me excited about future opportunities for me in trucking! :lol2:

Remember, I asked you about harvest pay. Didn't sound like what I needed to allow me to "slack off" the rest of the year.... but, I'm still considering it.

Is that even YOUR truck? If it is... that's probably your combine, too... as it looks like the SAME grain field.

Anyways.... leave it up for awhile. I need the mental image. I'm about to start running WEST again! Sure hope we can find a chance to share a cup of coffee.... well, you know what I mean.... around Swee****er or Amarillo!

golfhobo 08-20-2010 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by eplurubus:
If assigned a truck like the one in the image below, and allowed to run as hard as you want to, no questions asked, who would accept? Most probably would. But what if the job only paid .30/mi and no benefits. Now what? Gotta draw the line somewhere. It's a tough decision for some; not so tough of a decision for others.

Interesting question. The pay is a bit low. The miles are "doable." Ungoverned and no "EOBR" or qualcom.... I could do it! To make what I'm making now, I'd have to do a good 10 hours/day of driving.... 5 days a week... but, I don't mind.

It's a NICE looking truck! I've been torn between liking the LOOKS of these Petes and the fact that I can't stand UP in my sleeper! :pissedoff::roll:

I'm also not real fond of the smell of hogs or cattle! Do you get any extra pay for cleaning the trailer out??

I'm single and have V.A. health benefits. The picture looks like it shows a "house" in the background. Is that yours? Any children?

In MY postition at the moment, I'd LOVE to drive that truck as hard as I wanted to, and make as much money as I can. I've made LESS for "solo" runs before... and I didn't even have to work for Werner to DO it! :lol2:

I might not want to do it FOREVER..... but, in this economy, it's not bad to have that opportunity.

Fredog 08-20-2010 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by golfhobo:
YES!!! :lol:

Seriously, you'll never FIND "all things equal." IF they were, we'd ALL like the perfect truck. I'm just saying the other things may be more important.... especially if just starting out.

Remember... not ALL OTR jobs require you to "live" in the truck forever. I've been in some nice XL Classics that were "worn out." I currently drive a decent Volvo condo.... but, I prefered my Columbia (both about 3 years old.)

That being said, I b!tch almost daily about not having a STRONGER truck! It all depends on what you are looking for. I'm looking to be IN FRONT of the "pack of trucks" easing down the road in their elephant train!

I also want my coffee mug holder to fit my reach AND my type of coffee mug! :lol:

I also want my coffee mug holder to fit my reach AND my type of coffee mug! yes, VERY important!!!

Orangetxguy 08-20-2010 04:44 PM

I want a new truck.

Every single time I bring the subject up though......My boss tells me that the revenue does not justify the payment. He tells be to "STF UP" and drive what I have and like it. :tears:

Jackrabbit379 08-20-2010 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by golfhobo:
Thanks, Wabbit!! I REALLY like this picture! I don't know if the truck is as "bad-ass" as it looks, don't really care. It LOOKS like a truck SHOULD look! And, I'm a big fan of wheatfields.

It gives me a.... um..... well, it REALLY gets me excited about future opportunities for me in trucking! :lol2:

Remember, I asked you about harvest pay. Didn't sound like what I needed to allow me to "slack off" the rest of the year.... but, I'm still considering it.

Is that even YOUR truck? If it is... that's probably your combine, too... as it looks like the SAME grain field.

Anyways.... leave it up for awhile. I need the mental image. I'm about to start running WEST again! Sure hope we can find a chance to share a cup of coffee.... well, you know what I mean.... around Swee****er or Amarillo!

Yeah. It's a bad mother! It's not mine, no. Neither is the combine. They belong to a friend of mine. That 359 will run like a scalded ape! I took the picture, myself. Both, the truck and combine. I was standing in the field, and I pulled out my phone. Click, Ching.

Jackrabbit379 08-20-2010 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by eplurubus:

We wouldn't have any steak, nor cheeseburgers if the pay got down that low for cow haulers. :p

Steel Horse Cowboy 08-21-2010 12:59 AM

Obviously a nice spacious truck would be great, but the small cab, long nose trucks look best (IMO) and both pull the same trailer and make a buck. The key is to go with a company that has less downtime.

You might have a 2008 Pete thats always in the shop, or a 99 FLD that hasent seen a wrench except for oil changes.

You want to look good or make $$$$

Fortunatley I get to do both :)

golfhobo 08-21-2010 07:10 AM

Steel Horse Cowboy said:

Originally Posted by :
Obviously a nice spacious truck would be great, but the small cab, long nose trucks look best (IMO) and both pull the same trailer and make a buck.

Yeah, but can one actually LIVE in those flattop Petes for any length of time? I agree that they look the best, but I just gotta have my Condo if I'm out there for awhile. Throw in a motel room whenever I want it, and I'd drive the cool looking truck! ;)

Originally Posted by :
You might have a 2008 Pete thats always in the shop, or a 99 FLD that hasn't seen a wrench except for oil changes.

Yeah... I'd like to SEE one of those! :lol::lol:

Originally Posted by :
You want to look good or make $$$$

Fortunatley I get to do both :)

Well, when it comes down to it... for NOW.... I'd rather make the money. But, I have to be comfortable to an extent. SOMEDAY... I want to own the cool truck, the spacious one with all the stacks and chrome and lights! But, my FIRST truck will probably be something cheap AND spacious like a Columbia condo! I could probably get an older FLD for less ... but, if that's all I can afford payments on, then I'm not ready yet to be an O/O.