Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Cabovers More Dangerous? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/39784-cabovers-more-dangerous.html)

tcr1016 04-04-2010 02:37 AM

Cabovers More Dangerous?

I love cabovers, but have been told they are death traps. I was told by a trucker that the pins break in an accident and the cab comes forward. He says he has had to berry a few truckers from collisions in cabovers. Is this true??? Are they not as safe as a regular hooded truck??

geeshock 04-04-2010 03:21 AM

not sure, maybe older ones but newer argasis and such I would think would be safe enough. Only issues I can see would be that there is no hood between you and the truck in front of you and maybe the way you have to step up into the truck. I have heard of ppl getting thier feet cought in a step and breaking thier leg in the fall but other than that I wouldn't think so.

repete 04-04-2010 03:36 AM

No more dangerous than any other truck except it's easier to fall when getting in or out. If you rear end another truck then thats' another story! As far as the cab flipping over B/S just isn't going to happen on it's own, you would have to fail in locking it down with the hydraulics and that 's not going to happen.
I drove one for awhile and loved the maneuverability of it but engine but is pretty scary till your used to it. Driving one you will NEVER EVER tailgate !

BanditsCousin 04-04-2010 06:10 AM

Try bobtailing one in the rain. I did about 2 360*'s on accident.

Conventionals FTW!

bentstrider 04-04-2010 03:36 PM

Drove one briefly when I did some ride-alongs with this Dairyland Hay Co. out of Chino.

These were those really short Freightliners with a literal "bunk" as a sleeper.

GMAN 04-04-2010 03:51 PM

I drove a cabover in the early time of my driving career. I enjoyed it. I don't recall any more problems with a cabover than conventional. The big problem can come in should you decide to hit something with the front of your truck. :lol:

YerDaddy 04-04-2010 06:03 PM

You're always the first one at the accident.

I hated the ride, sitting on top of the steer axle. Spinal compression.

Good view though.

Gunfighter 05-13-2010 11:26 PM

Ran thru some freezing rain and later stopped for a whiz and slipped on the icy step and broke my ankle but aside from that, (my own clumsy mistake), I had no problems with cab overs.

Gunfighter

Windwalker 05-14-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YerDaddy (Post 478199)
You're always the first one at the accident.

I hated the ride, sitting on top of the steer axle. Spinal compression.

Good view though.

That was the one thing I did realize very quickly. That left front tire constantly kicking my butt.:eek1::hellno:

heavyhaulerss 05-14-2010 09:26 PM

I have a cab over. STOP trying to scare me! lol. I dont see a chance my cab coming over. the hooks stick & I have to manually pull hooks out, then the hydraulic takes over. the hydraulic arms are too strong to let cab over. it has a self locking mechanism. you are not getting that cab up or down without the hydraulic shocks cooperating. as far as hitting something in front of me.. that would be my fault. the cab is very heavy. if the pins did break, I still don't see the cab going over. if I unhook my lock down hook's & try to lift up cab without using the hydraulics, I would lift entire truck off the ground before the hydraulics would give way.