Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Unpaid Backhauls (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/39363-unpaid-backhauls.html)

Zombie Woof 01-14-2010 04:48 PM

Unpaid Backhauls

Anybody out there run linehaul, and have to do the occasional backhaul? Just want to get an idea of how good or bad I have it. I run a linehaul route that takes about 5 hours up, and five hours back, if there is no traffic. About once a week, they give me a 75,000 gross load to take back with me, which slows me down about 20 minutes. Lots of hills. I get no extra money for this. They also send me out of my route once in a while to pick up a backhaul of product for the warehouse at the home yard, and I get an extra $15 for this, and it adds about 45 minutes to my day. Not worth it.

The job is actually pretty good. Maybe I'm just spoiled. But I'd rather not do these backhauls. Anyone else have this backhaul stuff, and is it worth the money for you ? Just curious.

Malaki86 01-14-2010 07:47 PM

You're complaining about it taking 20 extra minutes because of the weight??? I go across I-68 on a very regular basis grossing 75,000+. That alone adds roughly 45 minutes compared to empty. When the weather is bad (fog, snow & ice), it can add hours.

Jackrabbit379 01-14-2010 07:48 PM

If they pay you by the hour, and the backhauls give you extra hours, I'd take all the backhauls they offer. :p

Sometimes, I haul a backhaul, but the delivery drivers pick them up. I just take them back to the warehouse.
Atleast they pay ya $15 for the backhauls that are out of your regular route..

Mackman 01-15-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 (Post 472693)
If they pay you by the hour

I dont think he gets paid by the hour. Cuz he said he doesnt get paid for the backhaul. If he was getting paid by the hour then he shouldnt be bitching.

Sealord 01-15-2010 11:48 AM

Unpaid Backhauls

WWaahhh. He shouldn't be b**ching at all, he has a job. BOL

Jackrabbit379 01-15-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackman (Post 472703)
If he was getting paid by the hour then he shouldnt be bitching.

Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make. :p If it adds time to the clock, gitter done. :p

Sealord, that's a very good point. All of us that are working are thankful to be working. :)

EvenJoe 01-16-2010 05:24 PM

I think about the only thing you can do is look at your paycheck at the end of the year. If you made about the right amount, then just roll with it.

I have to do jobs that are not worth doing, but it comes out at the end of they year that I'm doing OK. I hope you're doing OK, too.

jonp 01-16-2010 07:04 PM

If the backhaul is from the place that you drop off then your going home anyways. I don't see the problem unless its taking 4 or 5 hours to load or you get paid more per mile mt than loaded. You should then get the loaded mile rate when bringing something back I think. My company pays mt miles for a backhaul but adds $30 for doing it and most are drop and hook so its a pretty good deal.

Out of route how much? If your paid the miles, so??? Unless thats more than about 10% extra over actual miles I wouldnt say much.

jonp 01-16-2010 07:06 PM

$15 for 45 min work or about $20/hour. Thats not worth it to you? You must be in a different tax bracket than I am. Quit and give me your job, I'll take $20/hr anyday

freebirdrfd 01-16-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonp (Post 472794)
$15 for 45 min work or about $20/hour. Thats not worth it to you? You must be in a different tax bracket than I am. Quit and give me your job, I'll take $20/hr anyday

That's what i was gonna say. $20. an hour and he is questioning it?????? :roll: