Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Unpaid Backhauls (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/39363-unpaid-backhauls.html)

Zombie Woof 01-14-2010 04:48 PM

Unpaid Backhauls

Anybody out there run linehaul, and have to do the occasional backhaul? Just want to get an idea of how good or bad I have it. I run a linehaul route that takes about 5 hours up, and five hours back, if there is no traffic. About once a week, they give me a 75,000 gross load to take back with me, which slows me down about 20 minutes. Lots of hills. I get no extra money for this. They also send me out of my route once in a while to pick up a backhaul of product for the warehouse at the home yard, and I get an extra $15 for this, and it adds about 45 minutes to my day. Not worth it.

The job is actually pretty good. Maybe I'm just spoiled. But I'd rather not do these backhauls. Anyone else have this backhaul stuff, and is it worth the money for you ? Just curious.

Malaki86 01-14-2010 07:47 PM

You're complaining about it taking 20 extra minutes because of the weight??? I go across I-68 on a very regular basis grossing 75,000+. That alone adds roughly 45 minutes compared to empty. When the weather is bad (fog, snow & ice), it can add hours.

Jackrabbit379 01-14-2010 07:48 PM

If they pay you by the hour, and the backhauls give you extra hours, I'd take all the backhauls they offer. :p

Sometimes, I haul a backhaul, but the delivery drivers pick them up. I just take them back to the warehouse.
Atleast they pay ya $15 for the backhauls that are out of your regular route..

Mackman 01-15-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 (Post 472693)
If they pay you by the hour

I dont think he gets paid by the hour. Cuz he said he doesnt get paid for the backhaul. If he was getting paid by the hour then he shouldnt be bitching.

Sealord 01-15-2010 11:48 AM

Unpaid Backhauls

WWaahhh. He shouldn't be b**ching at all, he has a job. BOL

Jackrabbit379 01-15-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackman (Post 472703)
If he was getting paid by the hour then he shouldnt be bitching.

Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make. :p If it adds time to the clock, gitter done. :p

Sealord, that's a very good point. All of us that are working are thankful to be working. :)

EvenJoe 01-16-2010 05:24 PM

I think about the only thing you can do is look at your paycheck at the end of the year. If you made about the right amount, then just roll with it.

I have to do jobs that are not worth doing, but it comes out at the end of they year that I'm doing OK. I hope you're doing OK, too.

jonp 01-16-2010 07:04 PM

If the backhaul is from the place that you drop off then your going home anyways. I don't see the problem unless its taking 4 or 5 hours to load or you get paid more per mile mt than loaded. You should then get the loaded mile rate when bringing something back I think. My company pays mt miles for a backhaul but adds $30 for doing it and most are drop and hook so its a pretty good deal.

Out of route how much? If your paid the miles, so??? Unless thats more than about 10% extra over actual miles I wouldnt say much.

jonp 01-16-2010 07:06 PM

$15 for 45 min work or about $20/hour. Thats not worth it to you? You must be in a different tax bracket than I am. Quit and give me your job, I'll take $20/hr anyday

freebirdrfd 01-16-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonp (Post 472794)
$15 for 45 min work or about $20/hour. Thats not worth it to you? You must be in a different tax bracket than I am. Quit and give me your job, I'll take $20/hr anyday

That's what i was gonna say. $20. an hour and he is questioning it?????? :roll:

Mr. Ford95 01-16-2010 10:13 PM

$20 an hour but it's not an everyday thing, it's more like once a month, the other is once a week and he's not seeing any pay for that. That's what he's complaining about, the freebie backhaul.

Double R 01-16-2010 10:24 PM

I LOVE backhauls!!!!!!!!!

I get the mileage(hub) plus stop pay plus hourly pay after the first hour(stop pay and hourly pay are the same amount). Some of my back hauls take 15 minutes or less, well worth the money.

Here's a example of why I love them:
Last monday my last stop was in Havre De Grace,MD. My first p/u was in Lancaster,PA. Drove to Lancaster and got it on monday. In and out in 12 minutes. Next one was in Leesport,PA tuesday morning. Get paid the mileage from the front door in Lancaster to the front door of the hotel in Reading,PA(NEVER AGAIN WILL I STAY AT AMERICA'S BEST VALUE). Then the mileage from hotel to Leesport. Was in Lessport 55 minutes. Then mileage to Marysville,PA for last p/u. In and out in 10 minutes:cool:. Then the mileage home.

If you are getting PAID extra for the backhual, why complain. It's extra money on top of your normal route.

Orangetxguy 01-16-2010 11:07 PM

:mad: :pissedoff: mumblemumblemumblemumble :angryblue: :angryblue:

I wanna take a 4# sledgehammer to whomever uses the term...."Backhaul"!!!! :angryblue:

Zombie Woof 01-16-2010 11:51 PM

OK, more on the backhaul thing. I do not get paid by the hour. Let me limit the conversation to the "free backhaul". Maybe I'm thinking like an NYC union thug, or something. I get regular pay to take an empty trailer back, and I get regular pay to take a huge, slow, and more dangerous load back. The huge slow load, which is third party freight, not our regular stuff, earns my company a certain amount of extra money, of which I get nothing. Hmmmm. Do I deserve anything? Hmmm. Should I just be happy to have a job? It reminds of my ex-mother-in-law, whose favorite phrase was "Where's my cut? "' The company is making $200 or $300 on the freight I'm taking back ( I estimate). When they hired me on, as a newbie, they mentioned that we would be "requested" to do the occasional backhaul, but weren't required to do backhauls. I don't think it is written in anything I signed that I would do backhauls, paid or unpaid.

As far as not being worth it : I just want to get my head on the pillow before sunrise, and get my regular pay. I have a thing with the long hours. This job is 70 hours a week, if you include my commute.

The paid $15 backhauls are a completely different subject. More on them later.

Mackman 01-16-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Woof (Post 472811)
Maybe I'm thinking like an NYC union thug

Thats a GOOD WAY of thinking. :thumbsup:

GMAN 01-17-2010 12:15 AM

I just want to say one thing......THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BACKHAUL!!!!!!

Zombie Woof 01-17-2010 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 472813)
I just want to say one thing......THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BACKHAUL!!!!!!

GMAN,

Why not ?

Kranky 01-17-2010 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Woof (Post 472814)

Why not ?

Because the cost of operating a truck is the same no matter what direction it is traveling.

GMAN 01-17-2010 12:45 AM

Quote:

OK, more on the backhaul thing. I do not get paid by the hour. Let me limit the conversation to the "free backhaul". Maybe I'm thinking like an NYC union thug, or something. I get regular pay to take an empty trailer back, and I get regular pay to take a huge, slow, and more dangerous load back. The huge slow load, which is third party freight, not our regular stuff, earns my company a certain amount of extra money, of which I get nothing. Hmmmm. Do I deserve anything? Hmmm. Should I just be happy to have a job? It reminds of my ex-mother-in-law, whose favorite phrase was "Where's my cut? "' The company is making $200 or $300 on the freight I'm taking back ( I estimate). When they hired me on, as a newbie, they mentioned that we would be "requested" to do the occasional backhaul, but weren't required to do backhauls. I don't think it is written in anything I signed that I would do backhauls, paid or unpaid.

As far as not being worth it : I just want to get my head on the pillow before sunrise, and get my regular pay. I have a thing with the long hours. This job is 70 hours a week, if you include my commute.

I know you are new to this, but truck drivers usually haul freight in trailers. That is what we do to earn our pay. I don't understand what is dangerous about hauling 75,000 pounds of freight in a van. It it hazmat? Perhaps radioactive? 75,000 pounds is NOT huge. It is a normal load of freight. It should not make any difference where the freight originates. Third party freight pays the bills. Unless I missed something I assume that your company pays you both ways on your run. You complain about your company making money from hauling a load of freight. That is how your company can afford to pay you each week. How much investment do you have in your equipment? Your company pays for trucks, trailers, insurance, and your salary. If you break something on your truck I am sure that you won't be the one who pays for it. It takes money for them to pay all those expenses. I just find it strange that you complain about hauling freight rather than an empty trailer. It should not matter how much money your company is making as long as you get paid every week and the checks clear the bank. :roll:

Double R 01-17-2010 01:01 AM

Quote:

If your picking it up at the same place you just drop a trailer or delivered, then no extra pay.

If you are going out of your normal route to get it and you are paid hub mileage, then you get the extra miles.

If you are paid salary, TOO BAD, your are paid the same no matter.

The above is the office person in me.

NOW, the driver in me says:

You pick up after emptying, YOU SHOULD GET SOMETHING FOR THE STOP! If I deliver AND pick up at the same place(and we do that at a few customers), I am paid for the stop PLUS the pick up:D. I am also paid for pick ups.
Now, everyone keep in mind that neither myself or the OP work for an irregular truck load carrier. This does not apply to them(but it should)

GMAN 01-17-2010 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Woof (Post 472814)
GMAN,

Why not ?

It is a term that started some years ago. If I remember correctly, the term started with shippers who used to haul their own products. They would look for anything to pay their fuel or defer some of their operating costs to get back to haul their own freight, thus the name back haul. From a freight haulers stand point, the term should not exist. It is a way for shippers and brokers to justify paying a cheap rate. I don't consider the words as valid in my business. I NEVER use the term back haul. Each load should stand on it's own merit. I don't do back hauls.

Orangetxguy 01-17-2010 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 472816)
I know you are new to this, but truck drivers usually haul freight in trailers. That is what we do to earn our pay. I don't understand what is dangerous about hauling 75,000 pounds of freight in a van. It it hazmat? Perhaps radioactive? 75,000 pounds is NOT huge. It is a normal load of freight. It should not make any difference where the freight originates. Third party freight pays the bills. Unless I missed something I assume that your company pays you both ways on your run. You complain about your company making money from hauling a load of freight. That is how your company can afford to pay you each week. How much investment do you have in your equipment? Your company pays for trucks, trailers, insurance, and your salary. If you break something on your truck I am sure that you won't be the one who pays for it. It takes money for them to pay all those expenses. I just find it strange that you complain about hauling freight rather than an empty trailer. It should not matter how much money your company is making as long as you get paid every week and the checks clear the bank. :roll:

I dunno man......75,000 pounds of cargo is a lot of cargo. Your talking 11 to 12 axles involved at least. Now....a gross vehicle weight of 75,000...that is entirely different. :p

Ridge Runner 01-17-2010 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 472824)
I dunno man......75,000 pounds of cargo is a lot of cargo. Your talking 11 to 12 axles involved at least. Now....a gross vehicle weight of 75,000...that is entirely different. :p

I caught that too. I think everyone was talking about gross.... or at least I hope so.:eek1:

GMAN 01-17-2010 04:08 AM

You got me there, guys. I meant gross, not load weight. :o

jonp 01-17-2010 01:58 PM

lol, you guys are too quick. I was going to jump on the 75,000 thing. Hey, thats not much weight if you have a Kawasaki tractor.

jonp 01-17-2010 02:02 PM

My question is whether this is a drop and hook or a live load and how long it takes to load it. If your going right back to the yard with it from where you dropped then mileage is ok I guess as long as it not every time then the company is using you to haul freight for free. This is called scratching each others back. You do them a favor by hauling back like this and then if and when you want a day off you don't expect a huge fuss over it or something like that.
I wonder though. If they told you differently when they hired you have you asked them about it? Ask nicely dont storm in with an attitude.
I started working nights and around 0300 all I want to do is get home and to bed so I can sure understand the sentiment.

GMAN 01-17-2010 03:34 PM

I believe he said that they did tell him when he started. In any case, a driver is paid to drive a truck. It should not make any difference to the driver whether it is loaded or not. Although he didn't mention how he was compensated other than the additional $15, I would expect that he is paid mileage. If that is the case and he is paid for all miles driven as he is in other circumstances, then I don't see why there should be any complaints. I would never expect a carrier to share the revenue with me unless I worked percentage.

Zombie Woof 01-17-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonp (Post 472842)
My question is whether this is a drop and hook or a live load and how long it takes to load it. If your going right back to the yard with it from where you dropped then mileage is ok I guess as long as it not every time then the company is using you to haul freight for free. This is called scratching each others back. You do them a favor by hauling back like this and then if and when you want a day off you don't expect a huge fuss over it or something like that.
I wonder though. If they told you differently when they hired you have you asked them about it? Ask nicely dont storm in with an attitude.
I started working nights and around 0300 all I want to do is get home and to bed so I can sure understand the sentiment.

Hey, Jonp, we linehaul guys never get paid by the mile, just daily pay, plus these $15 extras now and then. And no, it's not a live load. No loading or unloading, just a dropyard. The heavy trailer is already there, waiting for me. I just drop my regular load there, and hook up to the heavy "backhaul" trailer, instead of an empty, and off I go, crawling up the hills at 45 mph and whaling down the other side at 85 mph :eek2: ( well, I could, but i put on the jake brake and do 70). Like I said it adds that 20 minutes, and sets me back 20 minutes into my next day, which is a big deal for me.
I guess I have too much stuff to do around the house, better get a maid, or a concierge, or something. :) So, yeah, I guess I should be a team player and just do it, and be happy to add some profit to the company that employs me.

When they hired me they said something about backhauls, and about being flexible. Can't remember exactly.

Now about the paid backhauls : They have 2 locations for these. One is the 45 minutes extra for $15, that doesn't seem so bad.

But there is another one that is farther off the route, and adds an hour and 15 minutes to the driving time, and about 2 hours to the whole day. This one they added about a year ago, and I think they finally dropped it, knock on wood. Still only $15 extra. This was the one nobody wanted. The OTR drivers were telling us linehaul guys we should just say no, since it was too close to the 11 hours. They sent us out in icy weather too, for this backhaul. Said just get a motel if you run out of hours, or pull over and sleep in the day cab for 10 hours. Nobody ever got a motel or pulled over, but I would guess some drivers had to go over the 11 hours a few times.

I'm not too smooth with authority figures, so I try to avoid them as much as possible, but I have mentioned to my terminal manager that I don't like the backhauls, when the subject arose. Also bitched about it in a nice way to the dispatchers when they gave me these faraway backhauls. All of us linehaul drivers made it clear we didn't like the faraway backhaul, since it was so close to the 11 hours, and the manager was always "checking into it".

We only get about one backhaul a week now, per driver, and not the faraway one, so lately it's not too bad. We were getting 2 or 3 per week for a while there.

jd112488 01-17-2010 06:38 PM

what a *****!! you got a job dude..alot of guys would kill for your job. home everyday and a steady paycheck.

Malaki86 01-17-2010 06:39 PM

omg - i'd hate to see you working otr. crying about taking an extra 20 minutes - boo freakin hoo. do you cry as much if you get into holiday traffic, construction delays or accidents?

Orangetxguy 01-17-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd112488 (Post 472865)
what a *****!! you got a job dude..alot of guys would kill for your job. home everyday and a steady paycheck.

Hey Jed....what type truck do you drive...and what is your usual route? Saw several FEDEX Grnd trucks while I was running around Ohi, PA and VA the last 3 weeks...and wondered if one of them was you...or even the Hobo dude.

Double R 01-17-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 472866)
omg - i'd hate to see you working otr. crying about taking an extra 20 minutes - boo freakin hoo. do you cry as much if you get into holiday traffic, construction delays or accidents?

I was about to ask the same thing but you beat me to it. Now that he explained more (seems each post we get a little more information), I'm wondering what's the problem?

Your run pays x amount. Bringing back a loaded trailer is part of that run. So it takes an extra 20 minutes when you bring back a loaded trailer. BIG DEAL. How about all those times when you run up and back in near perfect conditions and the run takes less time then the company says it should. Do they take money from you check for that? Doubt it!

freebirdrfd 01-17-2010 07:16 PM

Sounds like somebody should get an office job... :cry:

jd112488 01-17-2010 07:52 PM

orangetux. i drive a t600. getting another one here shortly. if you were out in the dark i am the one with a little blue led light in the center of the dash. i go from Columbus to Jersey on Tues and Thur. and back on Wed and Fri. Take I70 out of the state. if you were in the area or ever are again let me know..may buy ya a cup of joe.

homer 01-17-2010 08:05 PM

[ In any case, a driver is paid to drive a truck. It should not make any difference to the driver whether it is loaded

gman is right.
geez now they gotta send another truck to drag an mt over there and wave at woof while he going the other way draggin his mt back to the yard
no wonder we cant compete with those foreigners!

Orangetxguy 01-18-2010 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd112488 (Post 472876)
orangetux. i drive a t600. getting another one here shortly. if you were out in the dark i am the one with a little blue led light in the center of the dash. i go from Columbus to Jersey on Tues and Thur. and back on Wed and Fri. Take I70 out of the state. if you were in the area or ever are again let me know..may buy ya a cup of joe.

Pretty much always on I-70 between Columbus and Pittsburg. See a lot of I-71 too.

Jackrabbit379 01-18-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 472824)

75,000 lbs is a lot of weight, but you it's easy to do in a hopper bottom. If you load a 42' hopper bottom plumb full of wheat (or anything else that's 60 lbs/bushel) from front to back, you can easily gross over 100,000. Oats on the other hand, you couldn't get enough of them on there. :p

golfhobo 01-18-2010 04:44 PM

How does a 20 minute delay on ONE day make one have to start 20 minutes later the NEXT day? 10 hours a day of driving. What? 2 hours commute each way? (how else do you get 70hrs a week?) Unless you are logging exactly 14 hours total onduty time each day, a 20 minute delay shouldn't force you to start later the next day. Am I missing something?

jonp 01-18-2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Woof (Post 472864)
Hey, Jonp, we linehaul guys never get paid by the mile, just daily pay, plus these $15 extras now and then. And no, it's not a live load. No loading or unloading, just a dropyard. The heavy trailer is already there, waiting for me. I just drop my regular load there, and hook up to the heavy "backhaul" trailer, instead of an empty, and off I go, crawling up the hills at 45 mph and whaling down the other side at 85 mph :eek2: ( well, I could, but i put on the jake brake and do 70). Like I said it adds that 20 minutes, and sets me back 20 minutes into my next day, which is a big deal for me.
I guess I have too much stuff to do around the house, better get a maid, or a concierge, or something. :) So, yeah, I guess I should be a team player and just do it, and be happy to add some profit to the company that employs me.

When they hired me they said something about backhauls, and about being flexible. Can't remember exactly.

Now about the paid backhauls : They have 2 locations for these. One is the 45 minutes extra for $15, that doesn't seem so bad.

But there is another one that is farther off the route, and adds an hour and 15 minutes to the driving time, and about 2 hours to the whole day. This one they added about a year ago, and I think they finally dropped it, knock on wood. Still only $15 extra. This was the one nobody wanted. The OTR drivers were telling us linehaul guys we should just say no, since it was too close to the 11 hours. They sent us out in icy weather too, for this backhaul. Said just get a motel if you run out of hours, or pull over and sleep in the day cab for 10 hours and I'm pretty sure the company can not force you to do it. Nobody ever got a motel or pulled over, but I would guess some drivers had to go over the 11 hours a few times.

I'm not too smooth with authority figures, so I try to avoid them as much as possible, but I have mentioned to my terminal manager that I don't like the backhauls, when the subject arose. Also bitched about it in a nice way to the dispatchers when they gave me these faraway backhauls. All of us linehaul drivers made it clear we didn't like the faraway backhaul, since it was so close to the 11 hours, and the manager was always "checking into it".

We only get about one backhaul a week now, per driver, and not the faraway one, so lately it's not too bad. We were getting 2 or 3 per week for a while there.

oh, ok. that clears up things. I didn't know that you were in a daycab or you were paid daily not mileage. The backhaul drop and hook at the place you are at I wouldn't say much about although if they pay $15 for the other then they should pay it for all p/u. The near backhaul pays a little extra but if your home within your time then I wouldnt say much about that either as its only once a week or so. The farther one I would have a problem with as it puts you over your time. Do they pay for the hotel? I would never sleep in a daycab for any reason. If they pay for the hotel then every once in awhile I'd deal with it.

It dosnt sound to me like you have a bad job but everyone gets fed up with what they are doing once in awhile no matter what they are doing. I'd really take a deep breath at this point and look around at the economy. Jobs are tight. I'd hold on to what I had for a bit and just suck it up.