Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Computer Logbook programs (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/37230-computer-logbook-programs.html)

Kevin0915 02-26-2009 02:50 AM

Computer Logbook programs

Another member mentioned another company for doing your daily log on your computer. This company is called Eclipse. I've already downloaded DriversDailyLog.com's program, and tested it out. Figure i'd give Eclipse a whirl. I like Eclipse, it is SUPER basic.......HOWEVER......

I know for a fact that DDL.com has several templates for different companies you can download so when it goes to print, it prints off like your company logbook. Eclipse however, i cannot find any templates....and there is one thread within the website from someone saying they just hired on with a company but they dont accept computer log sheets from Eclipse, just DDL.com.

Price dont matter. I am all ready to buy the DDL.com program for $95. With the Swift discount, the Eclipse program will run me $60 less, BUT it is a waste of money if i buy that program, and Swift dont accept logs from them because they do not have a template.

anybody help??? You you drive for (if you care to share) and if you do your logs on a laptop, what program do you use???

Uturn2001 02-26-2009 03:52 AM

Like you said, it is pretty much a waste of money, unless you want to hand copy what the computer spits out, if the company you work for will not accept a computer generated log or one from a certain program.

I think your best bet would be to talk to Swift and find out if log pages must be on a certain format.

I am not familiar with Eclipse but your comment about it being super basic has me somewhat concerned. How basic are you talking about. I know DDL will automatically audit your log entries and warn you of possible HOS violations, does the other program do this too or is it just a neater way to enter your log info than handwriting it? If so can you live with that even if Swift will accept it? Finally DDL has been around for a long time and many companies do accept the DDL versions even without a company specific template, how much will you really save when or if you go to another company and still want to computer log and they will only accept DDL and you end up buying that program later.

Syncrosonix 02-26-2009 10:14 AM

i'd go with ddl. a state trooper in utah who gave me a level 3 certification inspection a year ago was using that to check my log book pages.

catalinaflyer 02-26-2009 11:59 AM

Definatly DDL. I have run across several DOT officers who know their way around DDL and even use it for checking logs. DDL has been around for many years and I think they were the first. I was using them before any state would accept computer logs.

Kevin0915 02-26-2009 12:23 PM

well that sure made up my mind. GOOD POINT regarding switching companies, and they dont accept Eclipse, and end up buying DDL to begin with....

Eclipse is just too basic, and like you said earlier....hasnt been around that long, it dont seem.

matcat 02-26-2009 12:41 PM

Swift uses a very specific template because the swift logs are scanned by a computer.

Rev.Vassago 02-26-2009 04:01 PM

I've found that many DOT inspectors, upon hearing that you are using DDL, wont even bother checking your logs. It happened to me twice in the past 2 weeks.

Walking Eagle 02-26-2009 06:42 PM

REV. is right. Having to pull into every scale I come to I get at least a level 2 two or three times a week and as soon as I say "I'll have to go print off my logs" they will ask what I use, DDL, they will say don't bother. Ocasionally get a reminder that you are supposed to print them off each day and sign them.

Fredog 02-26-2009 09:14 PM

I use eclipse and it prints out a legal log sheet, it doesnt do anything besides logs like expenses or such, but I just wanted it for logs, it does warn you of over hours and it keeps your recap current, it also calculates your average mph. you can print your day so far if you get inspected for 39 bucks it's hard to beat

Kevin0915 02-28-2009 03:15 PM

i'd want something that i know the DOT and my company accept.

i bought the DDL program, but trying to catch up my logs for the past 3 days since my 70 reset, but having trouble with the line. Dont know if its something i'm doing wrong, or if its in the program.

this is what i'm doing and whats happening.....I start my day in the sleeper, the line goes till 930a, where i want to show a 15 min PTI. I then want to go from 945a till 1015a on line 3, but the line continues from line 2, to line 3...but there is also a line from line 2 to line 4 at 930a with no continuation up to line 3. what gives?? someone help me out? i sent a question to DDL help.....just waiting back to hear from them.

would just like to have everything ready to go by tomorrow morning when i blast out of home.

Rev.Vassago 02-28-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin0915 (Post 440656)
i'd want something that i know the DOT and my company accept.

i bought the DDL program, but trying to catch up my logs for the past 3 days since my 70 reset, but having trouble with the line. Dont know if its something i'm doing wrong, or if its in the program.

this is what i'm doing and whats happening.....I start my day in the sleeper, the line goes till 930a, where i want to show a 15 min PTI. I then want to go from 945a till 1015a on line 3, but the line continues from line 2, to line 3...but there is also a line from line 2 to line 4 at 930a with no continuation up to line 3. what gives?? someone help me out? i sent a question to DDL help.....just waiting back to hear from them.

would just like to have everything ready to go by tomorrow morning when i blast out of home.

You drop to line 4 at 9:30. Then move 1 notch over to 9:45, and click again. Select "driving". It will go to line 3.

It isn't showing because you are trying to go to line 3 at 9:30 instead of 9:45. The beginning and end of every duty status change must be shown.

carlos64030 02-28-2009 05:36 PM

Why waste money on ink cartridges and paper when company provided log books are free? http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...lies/huh-1.gif

In my opinion, computer logging is an ongoing and unneccessary expense that takes money out of your pocket.

Just sayin'.....

Rev.Vassago 02-28-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlos64030 (Post 440669)
Why waste money on ink cartridges and paper when company provided log books are free? http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...lies/huh-1.gif

In my opinion, computer logging is an ongoing and unneccessary expense that takes money out of your pocket.

Just sayin'.....

It makes logging quicker, easier, neater, and it guarantees no errors. My logs are emailed to my carrier, which takes me about 2 minutes total to do.

I would never go back to a paper log.

That's like saying "why use GPS, when there are perfectly good maps?" "Why use air conditioning, when there's a perfectly good window?" "Why have air ride, when there are perfectly good leaf springs?" "Why use a cell phone, when there are pay phones available?"

Kevin0915 02-28-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 440671)
It makes logging quicker, easier, neater, and it guarantees no errors. My logs are emailed to my carrier, which takes me about 2 minutes total to do.

That's like saying "why use GPS, when there are perfectly good maps?" "Why use air conditioning, when there's a perfectly good window?" "Why have air ride, when there are perfectly good leaf springs?" "Why use a cell phone, when there are pay phones available?"

why pay for a lot lizzard when you have your .....? ....oh wait....TMI...sorry =)

Kevin0915 02-28-2009 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok...this is what it is doing...and its really pissing me off now. and i am doing it just as you stated before....drop from line 2 to 4...at 930...but to show that, you have to actually click in the 3rd 'cell' of the 9a block. i do that...then move to the very next 'cell', and show up to driving....and this is what it does.

once i drop to line 4...that line should STAY in line 4, just like it does when i want to go up from line 4 to 3....notice how that line continues on from the point of driving??

Rev.Vassago 02-28-2009 10:39 PM

You aren't entering in specific time frames, are you? That almost appears as if it is trying to flag it for you.

I'll go through it step by step.

Step 1. Put your mouse over where you want to change your duty status. In this case, at 9 am. (The green bar is where you are trying to enter some information, or a duty status change)
http://www.worthless1000.com/ddl1.jpg

Step 2: Click, and the information window will pop up. Change the duty status to "On Duty (Not Driving)", and enter a city and state.

http://www.worthless1000.com/ddl2.jpg

It will now look like this:

http://www.worthless1000.com/ddl3.jpg

Step 3: Move your mouse to 9:15.

http://www.worthless1000.com/ddl4.jpg

Step 4: Click, and change your duty status to "Driving". Enter a city and state.

http://www.worthless1000.com/ddl5.jpg

It will now look like this:

http://www.worthless1000.com/ddl6.jpg

Rev.Vassago 02-28-2009 11:01 PM

I just figured out what you're doing. You're clicking on "Brake Check" instead of "On Duty Not Driving". Just use the top 4 lines unless you need to flag something.

Kevin0915 02-28-2009 11:51 PM

Yeah, i got it all figured out about 10 minutes after i posted that. My version seems a bit different. I have two seperate boxes...the one saying pre-post trip....then another box for things i need to 'flag'. I was using that 'flag' PTI, which is why it looked all messed up. I've since then have got all 6 days printed off, and waiting for today to 'end' so i can print that, and then have those 7 days as my legal log book on the truck.

i will still print off two copies...one which will get scanned with my trip envelope and i'll save those for a month before sending them home, and then rotate my most current 7 days, and put my 'old' log pages in an envelope with a stamp on it.

Fredog 03-01-2009 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 440671)

why use windshield wipers when you have a perfectly good t-shirt

Orangetxguy 03-01-2009 01:42 PM

Wow......That looks so much faster than paper and pen.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Kevin0915 03-01-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 440745)
Wow......That looks so much faster than paper and pen.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, it is faster. I left the program running behind my Streets and Trips, and whenever i stopped, i went to my laptop, and changed duty. Was actually faster than having to pull out the logbook, monkey with the ruler and the pages, setting the clipboard on your steering wheel, drawing a nice neat line, and putting it back.

That being said, forget if it is faster or not.....$95 program that will (if used correctly) will keep you from getting any log errors or violations, not to mention get you in and out of a scale if pulled around, faster. Well worth it for me.

Double R 03-01-2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin0915 (Post 440813)
not to mention get you in and out of a scale if pulled around, faster.

One can also get in and out of the scales faster when one works for a company that has a DOT rating of 29:whistle:

Orangetxguy 03-02-2009 03:14 AM

30 years and never had a logging violation using paper and pen. Have been in a lot of scales...two ticketa in 30 years. Over-weight on drive axles both times.

Fredog 03-02-2009 06:24 AM

I have a great idea!! why doesnt everybody just do it the way they prefer and dont worry about how anyone else does it?

Left Lane 04-20-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin0915 (Post 440692)
Yeah, i got it all figured out about 10 minutes after i posted that. My version seems a bit different. I have two seperate boxes...the one saying pre-post trip....then another box for things i need to 'flag'. I was using that 'flag' PTI, which is why it looked all messed up. I've since then have got all 6 days printed off, and waiting for today to 'end' so i can print that, and then have those 7 days as my legal log book on the truck.

i will still print off two copies...one which will get scanned with my trip envelope and i'll save those for a month before sending them home, and then rotate my most current 7 days, and put my 'old' log pages in an envelope with a stamp on it.

Where’s the common courtesy? A, “Thank you very much for your help”, would’ve been nice. Rev.Vassago helped you through all that and no "thank you", not cool.

Left Lane 04-20-2011 03:51 PM

I’ve done my own research of several computerized log programs and have found that DDL is the better one. My company, Landstar, will only accept DDL or Eclipse. With that being said, it’s either one or the other. Being an owner operator, DDL offers more options that Eclipse so, DDL wins my vote.

tracer 05-11-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Lane (Post 496815)
I’ve done my own research of several computerized log programs and have found that DDL is the better one. My company, Landstar, will only accept DDL or Eclipse. With that being said, it’s either one or the other. Being an owner operator, DDL offers more options that Eclipse so, DDL wins my vote.

I drive for Landstar too and am thinking of switching to computer logs. What printer do you guys use in the truck to print out logs? I tried using a regular HP jet printer but it took too much power and wouldn't even turn on when I hooked it up to my 450W inverter. Which model is reliable and takes little power? I hear cops use Canon in patrol cars but they need special thermal paper which is expensive....

supertruckerporkchop 05-11-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog (Post 440858)
I have a great idea!! why doesnt everybody just do it the way they prefer and dont worry about how anyone else does it?

I agree! I love how everyone else is more worried about SOMEONE ELSE spending their time and money the way they find fit!!!!! I personally can't stand the computer programs, but maybe thats because I have come NOT to trust any electronics, ie- my high priced laptop that loves to work when it feels its up for it! LOL. Just like my gps, I freakin love it, but I don't trust it 100%.
I myself love my loose leaf books for a couple good reasons and wouldn't never use my laptop to log, BUT I'm not going to rag on people that find logging on a laptop their thing!!!!
To each their own......... Keep on truckin!

Malaki86 05-11-2011 10:50 PM

I have a multi-function Lexmark Inkjet. It does copy-scan-fax-print. What makes it nice is that we can use Transflo Now in the truck to scan our logs in. It really helps since it has the auto-document feeder in it. It's not as fast at scanning as the ones in the truckstops, but who cares - load it and let it do it's thing. Really helps out when you're in the middle of nowhere. The one I have is a few years old and not made anymore, however. The printer itself runs on a 75w inverter, as should just about any inkjet. But, I think my old HP did pull more power than this one. I think this printer was about $100 then.

I only print my logs, so black ink is all I ever use. I get 2-3 months worth of logs out of each cartridge @ $28 each from Wal Mart.

Too bad I can't hook up the fax side of it, though.

supertruckerporkchop 05-11-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 497539)
Too bad I can't hook up the fax side of it, though.

Not sure if you "need" fax service, but for $5 or $10 a month you can have an email fax system. I used it before when I dispatched myself in auto transport. As long as you can send an email it works. :)

Freedhardwoods 02-04-2012 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracer (Post 497528)
I drive for Landstar too and am thinking of switching to computer logs. What printer do you guys use in the truck to print out logs? I tried using a regular HP jet printer but it took too much power and wouldn't even turn on when I hooked it up to my 450W inverter. Which model is reliable and takes little power? I hear cops use Canon in patrol cars but they need special thermal paper which is expensive....

I know this is an old thread, but it may help someone now.

I have one of these at home and in my truck. It uses 22 watts. It is big, but it does a great job. I'll try to get a picture of the one in the truck in a day or two.

Canon PIXMA MX870 Color Ink-jet - Fax / copier / printer / scanner

Fredog 02-04-2012 04:03 AM

fyi.. if your company uses a specific log, you can fax or email a copy to eclipse and they will make the specific template for you, there is no charge as long as you have a paid version... if you change carriers, you just email them and they will change it back.. they have great tech support.

firebird_1252 02-05-2012 02:03 PM

fredog, you still like the eclipse program? another guy i work with running the rail swears by it.

VPIDarkAngel 02-05-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 440461)
I've found that many DOT inspectors, upon hearing that you are using DDL, wont even bother checking your logs. It happened to me twice in the past 2 weeks.

Werner's paperless log system isn't much different. They barely look at the log, ask you how to translate it into plain English, and after about 3 explained duty statuses, their eyes glass over and they don't ask for more.

Fredog 02-06-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebird_1252 (Post 508333)
fredog, you still like the eclipse program? another guy i work with running the rail swears by it.

yep, I like it,all I want it do is keep my logs which it does very well, 39 bucks a year gets you every upgrade, or just 39 bucks one time if you dont want the upgrades, I tried ddl and found it far too much trouble..

Fredog 02-06-2012 11:45 PM

I had a roadside inspection in S C a few weeks ago, the officer asked for my log and I showed him the computer and he said... quote" I aint never seen nothing like that before" he didnt even bother to look at it..

firebird_1252 02-07-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog (Post 508424)
I had a roadside inspection in S C a few weeks ago, the officer asked for my log and I showed him the computer and he said... quote" I aint never seen nothing like that before" he didnt even bother to look at it..

that just sold me. i too want nothing more then just the logs and inspection.

Fredog 02-07-2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebird_1252 (Post 508427)
that just sold me. i too want nothing more then just the logs and inspection.

you can download a free trial

golfhobo 02-07-2012 01:57 AM

I use whatever paper logbooks the company gives me. I keep them current and precise with clean lines made by RULERS! Everytime I've been inspected, the officer just flips thru them and "assumes" they are correct because they are so NEAT. Wow... just saved myself $39!!

I barely have room for a fridge in my truck. I can't even fathom having a PRINTER somewhere in there! But then, I get home every weekend to turn in my logs and such.

Fredog 02-07-2012 02:44 PM

here is what the dot sent us
DOT rules for keeping your logs in a computer
1. you must have a printer in your truck and be capable of printing the current days log if asked to do so
2. you must have the previous 7 days logs printed, signed and available for inspection by the officer
As long as you meet these requirement, it is now permissible to use a computer to maintain your record of duty status