Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Looking to start my taining with Roadmaster. (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/37212-looking-start-my-taining-roadmaster.html)

sidewinderf16 02-23-2009 06:11 PM

Looking to start my taining with Roadmaster.

I'm looking to start my CDL training with Roadmaster here in Orlando, FL. I will be moving to Ohio soon after I begin driving.
I want to know if Roadmaster is a good school, and what to expect. If any of you have received your training through Roadmaster and would like to share a little of your experience there, I would really like to read about it.
Thanks in advance.

:cool:

teamster 02-23-2009 08:36 PM

I am just curious why you are moving to Ohio and where. Depending on where you go jobs could be hard to come by.

Sealord 02-23-2009 09:10 PM

Training

You need to look into getting your initial driver training at a community college such as FCCJ in Jacksonville (Kent Campus/Cecil Commerce Center) or Bradford-Union in Starke. You'll get better training for less money. If you're moving to Ohio, you may be ahead of the game to try C-1, I think they have a campus in Ohio. Why pay twice for the license, yes, there will be a cost to transfer your CDL. BOL

Mpneypit 02-23-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamster (Post 440182)
I am just curious why you are moving to Ohio and where. Depending on where you go jobs could be hard to come by.

It will be a lot easier to get on with a company living in ohio rather than living in florida.

RumRunner 02-24-2009 01:27 AM

Do yourself a HUGE favor and give consideration to Sealord's advice regarding Bradford-Union Vo-Tech. Having gone through their program 2 years ago, I can say from first-hand experience that it is a TOP NOTCH school!

In an effort to find a universally understood analogy, let's assume we all enjoy a cool, refreshing adult beverage on occasion. That said, why would anyone pay $6 for a six-pack of Milwaukee's Best when you can go up the road and get a 12-pack of Budweiser for $1.60? How about that Budweiser for FREE! Have I lost anyone yet? Well, here's the deal:

If my memory serves correctly, at Roadmaster you get a 160 hour course for around $5,000 (or is it $6,000?). At Bradford-Union, you get 320 hours for $1600. Think 160 hours is enough? Some may argue it's plenty. I simply can not imagine having achieved the same level of proficiency in a 160 hour course that I did at Bradford-Union. We weren't rushed to complete any objective, and there were NO shortcuts. For example, take the off-site driving (actually on the road). I believe it was a 1000 mile per student requirement. Both schools claim to deliver it. I've heard that some of the 3-4 week wonders will put as many as 4 students in the truck at a time and go 1,000 miles, each student driving 250 miles. Everyone in the truck gets credit for the 1,000 miles on the premise that they can learn as much watching another student drive as they can actually in the driver's seat. We each got the 1,000 miles in the driver's seat (2 students in the truck at a time). So if you subscribe to their theory, we actually got 2,000 miles experience:D No doubt about it, you get a lot more for your money with the Vo-Tech program.

One other bit of info: When I went through the school, they were handing out grant money for tuition to everyone who signed up. Don't know what the source was, but what I do know is that I didn't pay a dime in tuition for the course, nor did anyone in my class, or the class before and after mine. They were trying to use up the last of it for the year (a use it or lose it scenario), and the only requirement to receive the grant was filling out a 30 second questionaire, the contents of which were essentially basic CDL requirements. Didn't even have to demonstrate need (I was actually stilll drawing active duty military pay for the duration of the course). Definitely look into this before committing to Roadmaster. Even without the grant, it's still a much better deal.

Also, it seems I rememmber the staff mentioning there was another Vo-Tech program in Orlando, but I may be mistaken. Might be worth looking into. As it's a state school (part of the public school system), tuition, curriculum, and policy would be the same.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions regarding Bradford Union. They have a good website, or I can give you the contact info.

Useless 02-24-2009 03:14 AM

SidewinderF16:

First off, Welcome To CAD !!

I attended "RoadMaster Wholesale Freight Relocation University" a number of years ago. It's a CDL Diploma Mill; Okay, I suppose. They kept their word, and did for me what they said they would do. No complaints.

If you can get training through your local community college, you would be far better off. You will quite likely receive more hours of training, and you may save a considerable amount of money in the process.

I'm not trying to be the infernal pessimist here, but you should be ready to enter a very difficult market. I was talking to some drivers today, and they were talking about hauling a load, and then waiting two or three days to get another one...... and these were older, very experienced drivers with excellent records!!

I've been out of driving for several years now, and while I knew times for truckers were hard, I didn't realize just how bad they were!!

BOL2U !!

Daytripper 02-24-2009 03:16 AM

Mid-Florida Tech in Orlando has a nice program, costs $2050. It is an 8 week program, with over 1000 hours of OTR driving. Mid Florida Tech is part of the Orange County School System (2900 Oak Ridge Road, Orlando).

Daytripper 02-24-2009 03:18 AM

Forgot to mention, Mid Florida Tech is also a 320 hour clock-hour course, including over 1000 miles of OTR driving practice.

sidewinderf16 02-24-2009 03:33 AM

I want to thank you all for taking the time to help me out. The reason that I'm considering Roadmaster is because they have a weekend program that allows me to keep my current job as an Automation Tech at the Orlando International Airport, and it is close to me. They also said that they will guarantee a job when I graduate with companies such as Covenant etc...

I am moving to Lorain Ohio which is just east of Cleveland. I am a single parent of a thirteen year old girl who I've raise since she was three, and her mother lives in Lorain. Over the past few years my daughter has become more attached to her mom during some recent visits, and so her mom and I have worked it out for my daughter to live with her mom again.

As you know, good paying jobs aren't in abundance in that area (Lorain, OH) except for Truck Driving. For this reason, I have chosen to make Trucking my new career. Besides, I really like the outdoors and what better way to enjoy it.

I am going to check out these schools that you guys mentioned as soon as I'm done with this post. I would prefer to receive great training at a lesser cost, but I really would like to hold on to my current job, if possible, until I finish my training and can lock down a new job.

Again, thanks for the great advice. I'll keep you guys posted.

Sidewinder:cool:

heavyhaulerss 02-24-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinderf16 (Post 440224)
I want to thank you all for taking the time to help me out. The reason that I'm considering Roadmaster is because they have a weekend program that allows me to keep my current job as an Automation Tech at the Orlando International Airport, and it is close to me. They also said that they will guarantee a job when I graduate with companies such as Covenant etc...

I'll ask before someone else does... you have a job as a automation tech & you want to go into truck driving at this time? guarantee a job at places like covenant? have you read the post by a covenant drivers wife who just posted last week that her hubby & is not getting loads & is not doing well at all? best of luck to you my friend.

heavyhaulerss 02-24-2009 10:48 AM

http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/n...ne-advise.html

Snowman7 02-24-2009 11:57 AM

I understand why you would want your daughter to be close to her mother. Quitting a good job for trucking is risky though. Jobs up here right now are hard to come by but it wont always be that way (we hope not anyway). Getting a guaranteed job offer from Covenant shouldnt be a factor in choosing a school. They arent that hard to get on with and you could do better anyway. I live about 20 minutes from Lorain so feel free to ask or even PM when the job search begins. BTW it looks like you served in the USAF from your screen name. I was an electronic countermeasure technician on F4's. Yeah, it was a few years ago, LOL. Spent time at Keesler and Seymour Johnson.

Sealord 02-24-2009 03:20 PM

Ecm

Snowman7
electronic countermeasure technician on F-4's I was a Navy shipboard electronic warfare type, was it just F-4s or Wild Weasels you worked on? BOL

Ridge Runner 02-24-2009 03:33 PM

I hate for the way this is going to sound ...... but.... Your training starts here. ;)

Useless 02-24-2009 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss (Post 440241)
I'll ask before someone else does... you have a job as a automation tech & you want to go into truck driving at this time? guarantee a job at places like covenant? have you read the post by a covenant drivers wife who just posted last week that her hubby & is not getting loads & is not doing well at all? best of luck to you my friend.

What "HeavyHaulerss" Said!!

Seriously Sidewinder, you REALLLLLY ought to give this entire matter some very serious thought before you make a commitment involving several thousands of dollars to "RoadMaster Wholesale Freight Relocation University", or before deciding to leave your present job to go into trucking at this time.

Two years ago, driving jobs were out there for the asking, and even the less than desirable drivers could find work. Those days are now in the past, and it's anyone's guess when they will return.

One factor you need to give extremely serious thought to is cash flow. With a 13 y/o daughter, I'm presuming that you will be paying child support, and in some states (Texas, among others) in the cases of divorce, the father is legally required to provide health insurance for a child.

You are talking about entering an industry that is already hurting very badly, where your weekly and monthly cash flow will be extremely erratic. As I told you last night, I have just learned how difficult times are for very highly experienced drivers with excellent track records. You would be coming in as a total noob. Starting off as a rookie will make things even more difficult for you.

Companies like Swift, Schnieder, Werner, CRST, Prime, JB Hunt, and
(God Forbid) CR England, as well as many other carriers, have never been the best companies to drive for, and while the recruiters are good at making promises, you'll quickly find that they tend to suffer from what is known as "TDS". (Truth Deficit Syndrome) Covenant has long had a reputation for making nice promises regarding miles, but not exactly keeping their word.

Seriously, Sidewinder, you need to re-think this whole idea before making any kind of move.

BOL2U!!

sidewinderf16 02-24-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman7 (Post 440247)
I understand why you would want your daughter to be close to her mother. Quitting a good job for trucking is risky though. Jobs up here right now are hard to come by but it wont always be that way (we hope not anyway). Getting a guaranteed job offer from Covenant shouldnt be a factor in choosing a school. They arent that hard to get on with and you could do better anyway. I live about 20 minutes from Lorain so feel free to ask or even PM when the job search begins. BTW it looks like you served in the USAF from your screen name. I was an electronic countermeasure technician on F4's. Yeah, it was a few years ago, LOL. Spent time at Keesler and Seymour Johnson.

Yes, I was a weapons troop on the F-16 station at Shaw AFB, SC.
I'll be sure to look you up when I begin job searching.

sidewinderf16 02-24-2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless (Post 440268)
What "HeavyHaulerss" Said!!

Seriously Sidewinder, you REALLLLLY ought to give this entire matter some very serious thought before you make a commitment involving several thousands of dollars to "RoadMaster Wholesale Freight Relocation University", or before deciding to leave your present job to go into trucking at this time.

Two years ago, driving jobs were out there for the asking, and even the less than desirable drivers could find work. Those days are now in the past, and it's anyone's guess when they will return.

One factor you need to give extremely serious thought to is cash flow. With a 13 y/o daughter, I'm presuming that you will be paying child support, and in some states (Texas, among others) in the cases of divorce, the father is legally required to provide health insurance for a child.

You are talking about entering an industry that is already hurting very badly, where your weekly and monthly cash flow will be extremely erratic. As I told you last night, I have just learned how difficult times are for very highly experienced drivers with excellent track records. You would be coming in as a total noob. Starting off as a rookie will make things even more difficult for you.

Companies like Swift, Schnieder, Werner, CRST, Prime, JB Hunt, and
(God Forbid) CR England, as well as many other carriers, have never been the best companies to drive for, and while the recruiters are good at making promises, you'll quickly find that they tend to suffer from what is known as "TDS". (Truth Deficit Syndrome) Covenant has long had a reputation for making nice promises regarding miles, but not exactly keeping their word.

Seriously, Sidewinder, you need to re-think this whole idea before making any kind of move.

BOL2U!!

I understand the concern, and I appreciate the advice, but there just isn't work of my kind in the Lorain Area. The closest I could find was in Chicago's O'Hare Airport.
Just so you know, my job involves working on Passenger Boarding Bridges, Conveyor systems, and Baggage Scales. I currently make twenty dollars p/hour. This is why I am looking at enrolling with Roadmaster; they allow me to keep my job while I train for my CDL. Not Many Options for Me!:cool:

sidewinderf16 02-24-2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 440221)
Mid-Florida Tech in Orlando has a nice program, costs $2050. It is an 8 week program, with over 1000 hours of OTR driving. Mid Florida Tech is part of the Orange County School System (2900 Oak Ridge Road, Orlando).

I checked out Mid-Florida Tech, and one of the instructors explained that classes are currently full through the end of April. He also agreed with you guys that the training is better. And you were right, the cost is only $2051.00 for everything. Thanks for the info anyways. All of you guy's help has been really useful for me. I hope that others that are in my situation can take away something from our conversations.

Thanks!

Useless 02-24-2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinderf16 (Post 440272)
I understand the concern, and I appreciate the advice, but there just isn't work of my kind in the Lorain Area. The closest I could find was in Chicago's O'Hare Airport.
Just so you know, my job involves working on Passenger Boarding Bridges, Conveyor systems, and Baggage Scales. I currently make twenty dollars p/hour. This is why I am looking at enrolling with Roadmaster; they allow me to keep my job while I train for my CDL. Not Many Options for Me!:cool:

SideWinderF16:

It's your life, and it's up to you what you do with it. Having said that, the stakes here are very high. Do yourself a huge favor. Go out and visit some truck stops, even if you have to travel a distance to get to them. Rather than relying upon what RM tells you or what a recruiter tells you, go talk to some of the drivers. Better yet, go sit at the coffee counter, and just listen to other drivers talking. Unless things have changed drastically, you'll hear some pretty wild tales; some of them may even be believable, and a few of them may even be true!!

:D

Seriously, though: Talk to drivers who are currently facing the troubles we are describing, and as long as they are not pinched for time, most will be happy to fill you in.

There is only so much we can offer you here. Quite honestly, I don't think you really understand the complete dimensions of the troubles or the problems you will be facing. I realize that there are some serious distance concerns regarding your daughter, but you are talking about moving to a part of the country that (truth be told) is in more of a depression that it is a recession. The same appears to be true for the trucking industry; not only at the local level, but also on a nationwide scale.

Once again, I do wish you the very best!!

GMAN 02-25-2009 02:11 AM

Sidewinderf16, I understand your motivation in wanting to please you daughter by moving her closer to her mother. I would ask why your daughter's mother could not move closer to where you and your daughter live? It would be much easier for her to move than you and your daughter. Your daughter is established in school and would leave her friends to move to where her mother resides. You would also need to leave a good paying job. This is not the best time to be making major changes. Jobs are not as plentiful as they were only a few months ago. If you have a good job I suggest you delay your move until the economy improves. Freight is down dramatically as are freight rates. Carriers are having to cut costs in any way they can. Many are going out of business. I am not trying to discourage you from doing what you want but would have you step back and take a look at the realities of what is going on in this country. As others have pointed out you are moving to a very depressed part of the country. This is the first time in many years when we have seen this part of the country in such a depressed state. In fact, I don't recall the economy being down so much in my lifetime. If you are planning on driving over the road it may be easier to live in one of the "rust belt" states when the economy is strong, but with the economy being low it may be more difficult to get home and you will likely be doing much more sitting. Everyone that I know is sitting much more than usual. You need to take a reality check as to your financial needs and whether this industry could support those needs with the current economy. If your daughter wants to spend more time with her mother then perhaps she could either go spend the summers with her or even move to where her mother lives by herself. You need to look at this realistically. Your income will likely drop at least in the near term. If you do decide to proceed then I would echo what some others have mentioned about finding a community college or state vocational school to get your training and CDL. It costs much less than a private school and you will get as good if not better training. They will also assist you in finding a driving position.

Snowman7 02-25-2009 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sealord (Post 440256)
Snowman7
electronic countermeasure technician on F-4's I was a Navy shipboard electronic warfare type, was it just F-4s or Wild Weasels you worked on? BOL

If I remember right the Wild Weasel was an F4G and they were based at George AFB in CA. I worked on F4E's which was your basic tactical fighter, replaced by F15E's. We had the ALR46 (radar detection/identification), ALE40 chaff/flare dispenser, and ALQ131 (radar jamming pod).

teamster 02-25-2009 02:46 AM

There is no doubt that northern Ohio is a better freight lane than Florida and there will be more OTR jobs available. Are you ready to move to a different place, live on the road away from your daughter, and most likely take a pay cut to start out. The climate will also be a huge change for you and it gets very depressing in the winter time around here. You said you like to be outdoors so I would suggest trying to get on with Pepsi or a beer distributor. They will both usually hire you right out of school and it is a way to get some experience and still be home everyday. Pepsi has a terminal in Elyria which is very close to Lorain. I saw Pepsi and House of Larose(Budweiser) were both hiring recently. You would probably make 30's to 40k working for either one of them to start. I live in the area so feel free to ask questions.

sidewinderf16 02-25-2009 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 440292)
Sidewinderf16, I understand your motivation in wanting to please you daughter by moving her closer to her mother. I would ask why your daughter's mother could not move closer to where you and your daughter live? It would be much easier for her to move than you and your daughter. Your daughter is established in school and would leave her friends to move to where her mother resides. You would also need to leave a good paying job. This is not the best time to be making major changes. Jobs are not as plentiful as they were only a few months ago. If you have a good job I suggest you delay your move until the economy improves. Freight is down dramatically as are freight rates. Carriers are having to cut costs in any way they can. Many are going out of business. I am not trying to discourage you from doing what you want but would have you step back and take a look at the realities of what is going on in this country. As others have pointed out you are moving to a very depressed part of the country. This is the first time in many years when we have seen this part of the country in such a depressed state. In fact, I don't recall the economy being down so much in my lifetime. If you are planning on driving over the road it may be easier to live in one of the "rust belt" states when the economy is strong, but with the economy being low it may be more difficult to get home and you will likely be doing much more sitting. Everyone that I know is sitting much more than usual. You need to take a reality check as to your financial needs and whether this industry could support those needs with the current economy. If your daughter wants to spend more time with her mother then perhaps she could either go spend the summers with her or even move to where her mother lives by herself. You need to look at this realistically. Your income will likely drop at least in the near term. If you do decide to proceed then I would echo what some others have mentioned about finding a community college or state vocational school to get your training and CDL. It costs much less than a private school and you will get as good if not better training. They will also assist you in finding a driving position.

GMAN,
I failed to mention that my daughter's grandma has six months to a year to live due to Cancer, and my daughter's mom is married and has four other kids. This makes me Ohio bound. Also, there are more driving jobs in Ohio than any other unless you are a Health care professional.
I do plan on taking my time with all this and researching it well. This is why I am here getting info from you. Thanks again!

sidewinderf16 02-25-2009 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamster (Post 440297)
There is no doubt that northern Ohio is a better freight lane than Florida and there will be more OTR jobs available. Are you ready to move to a different place, live on the road away from your daughter, and most likely take a pay cut to start out. The climate will also be a huge change for you and it gets very depressing in the winter time around here. You said you like to be outdoors so I would suggest trying to get on with Pepsi or a beer distributor. They will both usually hire you right out of school and it is a way to get some experience and still be home everyday. Pepsi has a terminal in Elyria which is very close to Lorain. I saw Pepsi and House of Larose(Budweiser) were both hiring recently. You would probably make 30's to 40k working for either one of them to start. I live in the area so feel free to ask questions.

Teamster

I will definitely look up your name when I get the CDL. I just hope any of them are still hiring when I decide to apply. Thanks for your reply! Be safe.

heavyhaulerss 02-25-2009 01:09 PM

OH is definately better for freight than fl. you may be able to get a local driving job hauling steel. there are a lot of flatbedders in the OH area. doing a daily run & being home every night would give you experience without all the stress of going o. t. r. I will say, that I get the impression that you will do what you think is right & best concerning your family. considering your daughters grandmother's condition is very thoughtful & shows you have character. this type of thought process & character trait is what will help you succeed in life.

Orangetxguy 02-25-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinderf16 (Post 440272)

You already have a decent job. Yeah...O`Hare is a bit of a drive from Lorain OH...but...if you plan on not seeing your daughter for two or three weeks at a time anyway...why not take a job at O`Hare..or for that matter....JFK, LaGuardia, Newark, or Dulles? Even the new airport in Indianapolis?

All are easy drives to Lorain...and you would actually be able to see the girl more often, while maintaining a decent living standard.

If you really must change jobs...do as has been suggested and take the CDL course at one of the CC's. Then look at any one of the tanker outfits that hire in that area of OH. Delivering fuel will pay just a bit better than OTR trucking right now, and not everyone does it.

Snowman7 02-25-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamster (Post 440297)

Where's Pepsi at? I know Coke has a place in Elyria. Where you been workin teamster? Are you back to fuel? PM me if you dont want to post it publicly.

Double R 02-25-2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinderf16 (Post 440300)
Teamster

I will definitely look up your name when I get the CDL. I just hope any of them are still hiring when I decide to apply. Thanks for your reply! Be safe.

Summer is coming. They will be hiring.;) Also, try the local foodservice companies in the area, both national ones and the local ones.

teamster 02-25-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman7 (Post 440344)
Where's Pepsi at? I know Coke has a place in Elyria. Where you been workin teamster? Are you back to fuel? PM me if you dont want to post it publicly.

I think Pepsi is right off of 57. It used to be there. I know they consolidated the cleveland and twinsburg plant and moved it all to twinsburg. I am back to fuel. After 6months at Upsf my boss called me and offered me a sweet deal to come back there. Been back at it over a year now. How are things going for you over there. Do you still have guys laid off?

Snowman7 02-26-2009 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamster (Post 440368)
I think Pepsi is right off of 57. It used to be there. I know they consolidated the cleveland and twinsburg plant and moved it all to twinsburg. I am back to fuel. After 6months at Upsf my boss called me and offered me a sweet deal to come back there. Been back at it over a year now. How are things going for you over there. Do you still have guys laid off?

Bottom 10 percent are laid off or real slow. I'm hanging in there but I'm down about 20% from the last two years.

sidewinderf16 02-26-2009 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss (Post 440337)
OH is definately better for freight than fl. you may be able to get a local driving job hauling steel. there are a lot of flatbedders in the OH area. doing a daily run & being home every night would give you experience without all the stress of going o. t. r. I will say, that I get the impression that you will do what you think is right & best concerning your family. considering your daughters grandmother's condition is very thoughtful & shows you have character. this type of thought process & character trait is what will help you succeed in life.

Anytime someone as yourself takes the time to advise and help others, as you are helping me, it also says a lot about character. There's no doubt that you will have many successful stories to tell one day.
Do you think that any steel company would hire me out of school, or do you think I will have to wait? There is a steel mill in Lorain, and it would be perfect if I could land a job like that.
BOL!

sidewinderf16 02-26-2009 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 440341)
You already have a decent job. Yeah...O`Hare is a bit of a drive from Lorain OH...but...if you plan on not seeing your daughter for two or three weeks at a time anyway...why not take a job at O`Hare..or for that matter....JFK, LaGuardia, Newark, or Dulles? Even the new airport in Indianapolis?

All are easy drives to Lorain...and you would actually be able to see the girl more often, while maintaining a decent living standard.

If you really must change jobs...do as has been suggested and take the CDL course at one of the CC's. Then look at any one of the tanker outfits that hire in that area of OH. Delivering fuel will pay just a bit better than OTR trucking right now, and not everyone does it.

My company currently handles the maintenance at O'Hare and that is why I mentioned it. I can transfer to Chicago, but this would mean living there. We also maintenance JFK and Newark, However, Neither of these locations are hiring. The reason I'd rather drive is because I hope that it will lead to a local (Lorain) job later, and the door is always open to return to maintenance in the future. However, if I transfer to O'Hare it would mean moving there and still trying to find a job later; closer to Lorain.
Also, I've checked three different CC's and so far none of them allow me to keep my job. Schedules are just horrible!
Thanks for the advice man!

sidewinderf16 02-26-2009 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double R (Post 440358)
Summer is coming. They will be hiring.;) Also, try the local foodservice companies in the area, both national ones and the local ones.

Do you think they would hire me coming out of school (Roadmaster)?
Thanks for the advise!

Snowman7 02-26-2009 12:11 PM

Sidewinder if you are going to get into this business you need to prepare yourself for the worst. Then anything good that happens will be a bonus. You will most likely have to start out OTR. That will mean being gone a few days at a time. We are in a decent freight area so you could find something that gets you home on weekends. You will work extremely long hours to make what you make now (40K ish). You will probably go thru a phase where you regret leaving your good job for this. Good jobs go to more experienced drivers. Even then the good jobs have their pitfalls because the work goes to the senior drivers first. Its always something in this business. When you want off you can bet there will be a complication. When you think you got something good there will be a complication. There are alot of bad jobs in trucking and only a few good ones. It will take you some time to learn (1) what the good ones are, (2) decide what area of trucking appeals to you, (3) be in the right place at the right time to get the job you want. It can be feast or famine. Sometimes its just dumb luck. There are many sectors to trucking and each have their own pros and cons. General freight, fuel, dumps, heavy equipment, tankers, flats, reefers, food service, doubles/triples, and on and on. Anything that pays well and lets you sleep in your own bed is a hard job to get and usually requires experience. If you are willing to do OTR and run hard then you should be able to find something decent (relatively speaking) that pays 40-55k a year with a little experience (6-12 months). If you want to be local it could take years to first get the job and then earn the seniority to get steady work. The bottom guys are the first to get called off in a slow down. Bottom guys work the crappy hours and the weekends. If you think you are going to work 8-5 and make 50k a year you are in for a rude awakening. Those jobs exist but can take years to get. You may find yourself missing out on commitments to your daughter because work gets in the way or you cant get home when they promised you. Again, feast or famine. Keep reading these boards. There is so much information here that you will never stop learning. But like I said, be prepared for the worst. That does not mean I dont enjoy what I do. I and others actually like being a truck driver. But we sure put up with alot of sh1t that most people cant or wont take. Some people do it because they cant do anything else. But the turnover rate is over 100%. There are legitamate reasons why. Not saying don't do it. But open your eyes and ears and think with your brain, not your emotions.

Double R 02-26-2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinderf16 (Post 440409)
Do you think that any steel company would hire me out of school, or do you think I will have to wait? There is a steel mill in Lorain, and it would be perfect if I could land a job like that.
BOL!

Try FALCON. They are based out of Youngstown,OH. They do alot of steel.

Useless 02-26-2009 11:44 PM

sidewinderf16;
Do you think they would hire me coming out of school (Roadmaster)?
Thanks for the advise!

Sidewinder;

I don't know how Pepsi operates in Ohio, but I was watching the local news on TV just a little while ago, and the Pepsi distributor in San Antonio, Tx. just FIRED over 30 of their drivers for failed drug tests!! According to a spokesman for the distributor, they all tested positive for
COKE !!

:lol: :lol:

sidewinderf16 02-27-2009 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman7 (Post 440445)
Sidewinder if you are going to get into this business you need to prepare yourself for the worst. Then anything good that happens will be a bonus. You will most likely have to start out OTR. That will mean being gone a few days at a time. We are in a decent freight area so you could find something that gets you home on weekends. You will work extremely long hours to make what you make now (40K ish). You will probably go thru a phase where you regret leaving your good job for this. Good jobs go to more experienced drivers. Even then the good jobs have their pitfalls because the work goes to the senior drivers first. Its always something in this business. When you want off you can bet there will be a complication. When you think you got something good there will be a complication. There are alot of bad jobs in trucking and only a few good ones. It will take you some time to learn (1) what the good ones are, (2) decide what area of trucking appeals to you, (3) be in the right place at the right time to get the job you want. It can be feast or famine. Sometimes its just dumb luck. There are many sectors to trucking and each have their own pros and cons. General freight, fuel, dumps, heavy equipment, tankers, flats, reefers, food service, doubles/triples, and on and on. Anything that pays well and lets you sleep in your own bed is a hard job to get and usually requires experience. If you are willing to do OTR and run hard then you should be able to find something decent (relatively speaking) that pays 40-55k a year with a little experience (6-12 months). If you want to be local it could take years to first get the job and then earn the seniority to get steady work. The bottom guys are the first to get called off in a slow down. Bottom guys work the crappy hours and the weekends. If you think you are going to work 8-5 and make 50k a year you are in for a rude awakening. Those jobs exist but can take years to get. You may find yourself missing out on commitments to your daughter because work gets in the way or you cant get home when they promised you. Again, feast or famine. Keep reading these boards. There is so much information here that you will never stop learning. But like I said, be prepared for the worst. That does not mean I dont enjoy what I do. I and others actually like being a truck driver. But we sure put up with alot of sh1t that most people cant or wont take. Some people do it because they cant do anything else. But the turnover rate is over 100%. There are legitamate reasons why. Not saying don't do it. But open your eyes and ears and think with your brain, not your emotions.

I've been doing just that Snowman! I've been really reading a lot of the stories posted throughout this forum. It does make me a little nervous, but speaking with my daughter's mom and her husband, they are really willing to support me and help make this happen.
I am very hard working, and therefore I think I will do well. Besides, after spending so many years (8) working at Orlando International Airport, I am kind of looking forward to it. If with any luck, I get to work with individuals as the ones that I've met here (like yourself), I will be just fine.
Thanks Fellas!

sidewinderf16 02-27-2009 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double R (Post 440471)
Try FALCON. They are based out of Youngstown,OH. They do alot of steel.

Thanks! I've made a note of it.

Snowman7 02-27-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinderf16 (Post 440513)
Thanks! I've made a note of it.

As a former steelhauler I would say its not the greatest job in the world. Typical OTR, lots of waiting, mediocre pay, physical dirty work. On the plus side as a newbie it pays slightly better than general van freight and you're pretty much guaranteed to get home every weekend. You will have to run a creative logbook to make money. Alot of <600 mi runs so you load and unload evryday waisting alot of time. It could lead to something local hauling steel but there are better paying sectors of trucking. There are a few steel haulers that hire newbies. Most guys get their experience and go on to something else that pays better. Lots of O/O's in steel. Pays better than van freight and they have alot of load choices in the rust belt while staying pretty close to home and getting weekends off. But as a company driver there are better jobs for experienced guys.

matcat 02-27-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinderf16 (Post 440512)
I've been doing just that Snowman! I've been really reading a lot of the stories posted throughout this forum. It does make me a little nervous, but speaking with my daughter's mom and her husband, they are really willing to support me and help make this happen.
I am very hard working, and therefore I think I will do well. Besides, after spending so many years (8) working at Orlando International Airport, I am kind of looking forward to it. If with any luck, I get to work with individuals as the ones that I've met here (like yourself), I will be just fine.
Thanks Fellas!

I am not a pessimist but, in this industry at this time, how hard a worker you are doesn't make much of a difference. You can be the hardest worker in the world, but if dispatch doesn't give you a load, you have no work to do. The freight right now is horrible. My old trainer is an o/o leased on to Swift, the largest trucking company in North America, they have a HUGE freight base, and he is sitting almost just as much as I am driving for a small 6 truck company. In the last 2 weeks, I have sat 7 days! The load I picked up yesterday, from Gettysburg, PA to NC (Less then 600 miles) doesn't deliver until Monday! That is 4 days of time to do a delivery that only takes a day. I have another friend who drives for Schneider, he did run on a dedicated account, but they downsized that dedicated run so he was forced to go all 48 again, he too has been sitting more then moving. Another friend of mine that drives for Werner, is doing better (He drives team), but is still only getting about 3000 to 4000 miles a week, which is what a solo driver SHOULD be doing when freight is good, as a team they should be doing 5000 to 6500 miles easy a week.

All that being said, I have no doubt in my mind you will land a driving job, OH is a big freight lane, and there are a lot of companies out there. But expect it to be rough going, and slow to start. Plus a big risk for you as well is the lifestyle. You can read all the stories on CAD, all the stories on other trucking websites, but it only gives you a small taste of an idea of what life on the road is like. If you plan on making any money the way freight is at the moment, you might be lucky to get to see your daughter once a month, because you will need to be on the road to make enough money.

Hopefully, by the time you complete your training, and are ready to start looking for a company, freight should pick up a little. You may get lucky and land something regional or dedicated, or a local job. But as others said, expect the worst, and if things are any better then we nay sayers are saying, then that is just a good bonus.

BOL!