Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Despite ample signage . . (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/37190-despite-ample-signage.html)

cdswans 02-20-2009 05:37 AM

Despite ample signage . .

. . alerting motorists to the height of the underpass, the truck driver tried, unsuccessfully, to squeeze the 13-foot, 6-inch tractor-trailer beneath the 12-foot, 6-inch trestle, according to Police Chief John Saddic.

Truck fails to clear Route 420 bridge - The Delaware County Daily Times : Serving Delaware County, PA(DelcoTimes.com)

There is a lesson here for new Drivers:

While simply observing a warning sign is commendable, a little consideration to it's meaning and perhaps some analysis of potential consequences is also warranted. In this example, even if you're not particularly good with math, the yellow hashmarks overhead are a pretty good indication that there is potential for trouble overhead. Look around you. Of the many vehicles using the roadway, are there any vehicles present which may be more or less likely to encounter overhead problems?

HINT: Tall vehicles are much more likely to hit things that hang low over the roadway.

Extra Credit:

How fast was he going?

What was the distraction?

What time is it?

Jackrabbit379 02-20-2009 05:52 AM

That's just crazy!
It amazes me. It seems like every time I turn around, there is another thread about a truck accident.
every accident is preventable. Accidents happen, but bridges and overpasses have those big yellow signs that tells ya how tall they are.

wepwawet 02-20-2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 (Post 439591)
That's just crazy!
It amazes me. It seems like every time I turn around, there is another thread about a truck accident.
every accident is preventable. Accidents happen, but bridges and overpasses have those big yellow signs that tells ya how tall they are.

Syracuse, NY i went under a 12' 9 bridge and was yelled at by the cops for stopping before going under and getting out and looking etc because I should have known it was ok be carefull jumping to one side of the street too soon.

How fast was he going? prob close to the speed limit, but if he would have stopped and edged up all he would of had to do is back out with very lil damage but here at ta even bumping the bridge your term.

What was the distraction? morning traffic? none

What time is it? morning

Jumbo 02-20-2009 09:29 PM

12'6" is less then 13'6". Some people just cannot do the math.

mike3fan 02-20-2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumbo (Post 439666)
12'6" is less then 13'6". Some people just cannot do the math.

unless you're in NY then 12'6 is 13'6

Jumbo 02-20-2009 10:25 PM

To bad this fellow wasnt in New York. He might have made it.

Mackman 02-20-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdswans (Post 439588)
. . alerting motorists to the height of the underpass, the truck driver tried, unsuccessfully, to squeeze the 13-foot, 6-inch tractor-trailer beneath the 12-foot, 6-inch trestle, according to Police Chief John Saddic.

Truck fails to clear Route 420 bridge - The Delaware County Daily Times : Serving Delaware County, PA(DelcoTimes.com)

There is a lesson here for new Drivers:

While simply observing a warning sign is commendable, a little consideration to it's meaning and perhaps some analysis of potential consequences is also warranted. In this example, even if you're not particularly good with math, the yellow hashmarks overhead are a pretty good indication that there is potential for trouble overhead. Look around you. Of the many vehicles using the roadway, are there any vehicles present which may be more or less likely to encounter overhead problems?

HINT: Tall vehicles are much more likely to hit things that hang low over the roadway.

Extra Credit:

How fast was he going?

What was the distraction?

What time is it?

That bridge is 15min away from my house.

Kevin0915 02-21-2009 04:47 AM

my question is this....

What was his fuel route? did his company direct him that route, or did he make a wrong turn, and this was HIS choice to get back on route??

any brainiac who was paying attention would know not to even attempt going under a 12' 6" bridge. even with a 13' trl. stooopid

Double R 02-21-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin0915 (Post 439710)
my question is this....

What was his fuel route? did his company direct him that route, or did he make a wrong turn, and this was HIS choice to get back on route??

any brainiac who was paying attention would know not to even attempt going under a 12' 6" bridge. even with a 13' trl. stooopid

I would have to say that his GPS most likely took him that route;). Just my guess though.

Syncrosonix 02-21-2009 12:09 PM

shoot, the reporter got it all wrong. he was delivering a bridge!