Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Despite ample signage . . (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/37190-despite-ample-signage.html)

cdswans 02-20-2009 05:37 AM

Despite ample signage . .

. . alerting motorists to the height of the underpass, the truck driver tried, unsuccessfully, to squeeze the 13-foot, 6-inch tractor-trailer beneath the 12-foot, 6-inch trestle, according to Police Chief John Saddic.

Truck fails to clear Route 420 bridge - The Delaware County Daily Times : Serving Delaware County, PA(DelcoTimes.com)

There is a lesson here for new Drivers:

While simply observing a warning sign is commendable, a little consideration to it's meaning and perhaps some analysis of potential consequences is also warranted. In this example, even if you're not particularly good with math, the yellow hashmarks overhead are a pretty good indication that there is potential for trouble overhead. Look around you. Of the many vehicles using the roadway, are there any vehicles present which may be more or less likely to encounter overhead problems?

HINT: Tall vehicles are much more likely to hit things that hang low over the roadway.

Extra Credit:

How fast was he going?

What was the distraction?

What time is it?

Jackrabbit379 02-20-2009 05:52 AM

That's just crazy!
It amazes me. It seems like every time I turn around, there is another thread about a truck accident.
every accident is preventable. Accidents happen, but bridges and overpasses have those big yellow signs that tells ya how tall they are.

wepwawet 02-20-2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 (Post 439591)
That's just crazy!
It amazes me. It seems like every time I turn around, there is another thread about a truck accident.
every accident is preventable. Accidents happen, but bridges and overpasses have those big yellow signs that tells ya how tall they are.

Syracuse, NY i went under a 12' 9 bridge and was yelled at by the cops for stopping before going under and getting out and looking etc because I should have known it was ok be carefull jumping to one side of the street too soon.

How fast was he going? prob close to the speed limit, but if he would have stopped and edged up all he would of had to do is back out with very lil damage but here at ta even bumping the bridge your term.

What was the distraction? morning traffic? none

What time is it? morning

Jumbo 02-20-2009 09:29 PM

12'6" is less then 13'6". Some people just cannot do the math.

mike3fan 02-20-2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumbo (Post 439666)
12'6" is less then 13'6". Some people just cannot do the math.

unless you're in NY then 12'6 is 13'6

Jumbo 02-20-2009 10:25 PM

To bad this fellow wasnt in New York. He might have made it.

Mackman 02-20-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdswans (Post 439588)
. . alerting motorists to the height of the underpass, the truck driver tried, unsuccessfully, to squeeze the 13-foot, 6-inch tractor-trailer beneath the 12-foot, 6-inch trestle, according to Police Chief John Saddic.

Truck fails to clear Route 420 bridge - The Delaware County Daily Times : Serving Delaware County, PA(DelcoTimes.com)

There is a lesson here for new Drivers:

While simply observing a warning sign is commendable, a little consideration to it's meaning and perhaps some analysis of potential consequences is also warranted. In this example, even if you're not particularly good with math, the yellow hashmarks overhead are a pretty good indication that there is potential for trouble overhead. Look around you. Of the many vehicles using the roadway, are there any vehicles present which may be more or less likely to encounter overhead problems?

HINT: Tall vehicles are much more likely to hit things that hang low over the roadway.

Extra Credit:

How fast was he going?

What was the distraction?

What time is it?

That bridge is 15min away from my house.

Kevin0915 02-21-2009 04:47 AM

my question is this....

What was his fuel route? did his company direct him that route, or did he make a wrong turn, and this was HIS choice to get back on route??

any brainiac who was paying attention would know not to even attempt going under a 12' 6" bridge. even with a 13' trl. stooopid

Double R 02-21-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin0915 (Post 439710)
my question is this....

What was his fuel route? did his company direct him that route, or did he make a wrong turn, and this was HIS choice to get back on route??

any brainiac who was paying attention would know not to even attempt going under a 12' 6" bridge. even with a 13' trl. stooopid

I would have to say that his GPS most likely took him that route;). Just my guess though.

Syncrosonix 02-21-2009 12:09 PM

shoot, the reporter got it all wrong. he was delivering a bridge!

Jumbo 02-21-2009 01:20 PM

No matter weather or not it was his fuel route, the way his GPS told him or simply a wrong turn you always have to read the signs.

Kevin0915 02-21-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumbo (Post 439736)
No matter weather or not it was his fuel route, the way his GPS told him or simply a wrong turn you always have to read the signs.

agree 100.5% on that. I use GPS, but i always make sure of my route, checking for low clearance bridges off my Motor Carriers Atlas, but then again that isnt always 100% either.

cdswans 02-21-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syncrosonix (Post 439731)
shoot, the reporter got it all wrong. he was delivering a bridge!

That is good humor.

--grande-- 02-21-2009 09:52 PM

GPS, GPS, GPS.........

Man people can not read a map anymore :thumbsdown:

The dude was probally looking at his GPS missed the sign and got screwed :roll:

I have not gotten one yet, I rode with another driver who has one. Ya they are cool and what not. But it is just another flipping distraction. I see truck drivers riding down the road with there lap top or company computer thing sitting on the steering wheel. WTF "BLOW OUT ON THE STEER TIRES" You never know when it is going to happen.

I have one of them condo petes and I have nothing other than my lunch box, my PSP, my C.B. and two changes of cloths. When I start my sleeper birth time I play the PSP and fall asleep. Granted Im home every few days, but still if I had half the stuff some of the truckers have I would not get anything done. :lol:

cdswans 02-22-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by --grande-- (Post 439841)
GPS, GPS, GPS.........

I'm inclined to agree that it was a GPS that got him there; not that it matters. Short of being so stupid as to not know any better, my guess is that the critical error was the apparent lack of attention to what he was doing. How can you get to where he got himself and just keep rolling?

My GPS has tried to get me under similar structures but I was lucky and happened to be awake at the time.

I routinely see Drivers texting. I was in MN and observed a (local, fuel, loaded) tanker yanker with a small TV on the dashboard watching a football game! I read a rollover story where, after the scene was stabilized and the Driver got out OK, he was running around freaking out because he couldn't find his phone. As soon as the wrecker begins to right the tractor, there's the phone. A DOT cop picked it up and, lo and behold, there's the partial message the Driver was typing . . something about being bored.

repete 02-22-2009 04:17 PM

It really doesn't matter why. just that it did and DONT let it happen to you! Last fall we had a Crete truck get stuck uder a bridge here in Rochester NY (no not me!)He should have known better and stopped BUT in the drivers defense he was following a DETOUR!!! Just goes to show its up to you to watch your own azz or in this case.....

BigWheels 02-22-2009 04:41 PM

Yeah...only the driver really knows why he missed the warning signs.

If memory serves me correctly, this bridge gets nailed a lot. Perhaps the DOT should put flashing lights and more signage there. Come to think of it, the stimulous package has to have money in there to help truckers better determine the height of bridges...right?!?!

boneebone 02-22-2009 05:45 PM

Must have been one of those "New Breed" drivers who believe all they need is a GPS to help them around the country. Most of these newbies can't even read a road atlas nevertheless a street sign. This person first needs to learn how to read signs and comprehend what they mean. What a joke!

BluHeeler 03-14-2009 12:27 AM

How about the ones in Canada........ 4.33 M or 4.6 M My poor little brain is doing way too much math trying to figure out what the heck is 14 Feet. I barely have the 60 K/hr under control.

Biscuit Lips 03-14-2009 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boneebone (Post 440013)
Must have been one of those "New Breed" drivers who believe all they need is a GPS to help them around the country. Most of these newbies can't even read a road atlas nevertheless a street sign. This person first needs to learn how to read signs and comprehend what they mean. What a joke!

Mistakes happen sometimes, and yes, even to experienced "Old Breed" drivers.

Jackrabbit379 03-14-2009 04:32 PM

That's right. We are human. All though, we can do things to help prevent mistakes.

Cluggy619 03-15-2009 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biscuit Lips (Post 442394)
Mistakes happen sometimes, and yes, even to experienced "Old Breed" drivers.

There has been a lot of those "mistakes" around the D/FW area....

Seems like every other day, someone has flipped a rig, rolled it over, or just eaten a 4 wheeler for lunch...:eek1::eek1::eek1:

I wonder if other cities are having such bad luck as these drivers are....:confused::confused:

Jackrabbit379 03-15-2009 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josborn (Post 442475)
There has been a lot of those "mistakes" around the D/FW area....

Seems like every other day, someone has flipped a rig, rolled it over, or just eaten a 4 wheeler for lunch...:eek1::eek1::eek1:

I wonder if other cities are having such bad luck as these drivers are....:confused::confused:

Hence the reason why I live in the podunk town of Wichita Falls and not that Metromess down there. :p