Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Dogs In Truck (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/36800-dogs-truck.html)

tradesman 01-15-2009 03:07 PM

Dogs In Truck

Hi, I am getting ready to get back into driving OTR after a 15yr absence and I was thinking about taking my dog with me. I was just wondering if any of you drivers take your dog with you and how does the DOT respond when they see you have a dog with you. I remember when I was on the road back in the day I would see drivers who had dogs with them. Also do many companys allow you to take a dog with you. Thank you and have a great day.

boneebone 01-15-2009 03:40 PM

There is no problem bringing a dog with with as far as DOT is concerned. The only issue might be with the company you are employed by. Most eliminated having pets on board last year after fuel prices skyrocketed and most drivers with pets were idling their trucks 24/7 mostly for their pets comfort. As with any company each as their own rules and standards, if a company does allow a pet, most charge a pet deposit, which most of the time is non-refundable. it covers the inside clean-up of the truck and any damage inside that might have occured while the pet was there.

Kevin0915 01-15-2009 09:20 PM

Part of the reason i want to go O/O, and get a truck from a 3rd party, so i can do what i want with the truck (to a certian extent). Not having my Jack Russell with me, is driving me nuts. She is like my little girl. She isnt super crazy, as long as she gets plenty of excercise...but then again, what driver couldnt use more exercise. =)

I dont spend much time in company terminals anyway, and when i do stop, it is just for fuel, and get out. Much the same way i handle truck stops. in and out. Thinkin' of sneaking her on the truck anyways. Several drivers in company trucks have pets. Some i think are 'grandfathered' in from a previous company being bought out my them.....but figure its worth a shot.

thbogle 01-15-2009 09:49 PM

I had my Chihuahua/rat terrier on the truck with me. I had to pay a 350$ pet deposit but I got 175 back when I turned the truck in already cleaned. (had it professionally done for 50) The only problem I have had is that some of the shippers were sketchy about an animal being in the truck. I dont know what was with that.

mike3fan 01-15-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin0915 (Post 434233)
....but figure its worth a shot.

Yep, won't drive when bad weather is in the forecast, but has no problem putting his job on the line when some can't even find a driving job in this market all because he misses his little doggie?.....Classic

Biscuit Lips 01-16-2009 03:15 AM

I love dogs as much as the next guy but the thought of sharing such a confined space for weeks at a time with a canine just doesn't sit right with me. Instead of a flea ridden animal you should just get one of these instead.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...x-Pet_rock.jpg

Windwalker 01-16-2009 05:12 AM

I do have my dog with me, but I can tell you that one of the issues, besides the idling, that companies have with animals in trucks is keeping it clean. There have been some guys that don't take the animal out and don't clean up the mess the dog leaves behind. Also, pet hair can, and does, get into the heater cores and clog them up. You start to complain about air not coming out the vents, and they show you two handsful of hair from the heaters. That is also an issue with them.

Tired Trucker 01-16-2009 05:27 AM

Dogs should have at least a 1 hour walk per day, how are you going to do this driving truck OTR and working all those sweatshop hours plus meals, showers, breaks, etc? Look around at all the morbidly obese drivers, edema of the legs, high sugar...sitting on your ***** all day is terrible for your health and well-being. If you want to confine yourself to an 8X10 rolling cage, that's one thing...don't do it to the dog.

GMAN 01-16-2009 10:57 AM

I don't think a truck is a place for an animal, either. It isn't fair to the animal and certainly not to whomever owns the truck. If you are thinking about taking a dog or any animal with you without permission you could be risking your career. There are liability issues and some shippers do not allow dogs on the premises.

BIG JEEP on 44's 01-16-2009 11:03 AM

I've seen plenty of dogs in the Swift trucks .