Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Red & Yellow knobs pull out for a reason... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/36207-red-yellow-knobs-pull-out-reason.html)

jorlee 11-18-2008 11:44 PM

Red & Yellow knobs pull out for a reason...

Thought I'd share these with ya. Posted on a ag forum. Always remember to pull to pull both knobs.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...e/PICT0161.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...e/PICT0150.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...e/PICT0156.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...e/PICT0152.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...e/PICT0153.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...e/PICT0160.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...e/PICT0159.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...e/PICT0149.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...e/PICT0147.jpg

BigDiesel 11-19-2008 12:00 AM

That will entail a lot of paperwork......

One would expect that happen to a Swift driver, not a TMC driver.....:hellno:

ronjon619 11-19-2008 12:00 AM

I like the way you slipped the last in there.........

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-19-2008 12:09 AM

I only pull the red one when dropping my trailer...If the tractor breaks are set...yellow knob pulled...you should''nt go anyhere when being loaded or emptied ,and if you do it's the fault of who is loading or unloading you because if they can push the tk/trlr with all 3 tractor axles set they're going to move you with the trailer breaks set ...

I've been pushed by loaders b4 getting hay loaded in a dry van first shove I thought it was immagination 2nd I realized I was sliding ,so i set trlr breaks...And it made no differece...I had amost a full load of hay when that front end loader was packing the last few bails ,so he was pushing about 70k lbs ...I've had guys push me from dock with a regular lift getting loaded with loose dirt under me with the first pallet on b/c I was on loose sand and no weight in the trailer yet for grip,And the loader thought he was at Talladega ...

Double R 11-19-2008 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel (Post 424146)
That will entail a lot of paperwork......

One would expect that happen to a Swift driver, not a TMC driver.....:hellno:

Maybe his trainer was in the bunk at the time.:whistle:

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-19-2008 12:31 AM

I'm thinking neither knobs got pulled ...or that dock was lower than trailer and the putz driving the tractor off tried to climb the lip with no ramp and shoved the trk/trlr away from dock in the process.

GMAN 11-19-2008 12:33 AM

I would have been interesting to watch them get the tractor off of the trailer. Or were they trying to load it? :roll3:

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-19-2008 12:42 AM

I the one pic where it shows tire tracks, and I think it's supposed to illustrate a tire rolled ,but a tire with weight on it will ofter still roll through the set breaks when shoved with a sufficent force ,and those tire marks almost look like it was pushed with the breaks set ?

jorlee 11-19-2008 12:50 AM

If the brakes were set, where is the dirt that's susposed to be piled infront of the tires?

The trailer is lower than the dock, since it's a step deck. The MFWD was not engaged in the tractor. Since the trailer was lower than the dock, the front tires on the tractor would have to "climb" the dock. Since the MFWD was not engaged, the rear tires pushed on the trailer, while not pushing the front tires upward. It inturn rolled the trailer away from the dock. Note the perfect tire indetation made into the uneven gravel surface as the tire rolled over it.

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-19-2008 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorlee (Post 424160)
If the brakes were set, where is the dirt that's susposed to be piled infront of the tires?

The trailer is lower than the dock, since it's a step deck. The MFWD was not engaged in the tractor. Since the trailer was lower than the dock, the front tires on the tractor would have to "climb" the dock. Since the MFWD was not engaged, the rear tires pushed on the trailer, while not pushing the front tires upward. It inturn rolled the trailer away from the dock. Note the perfect tire indetation made into the uneven gravel surface as the tire rolled over it.

If there is heavy wt on the tires they will have sufficient...GRIP...to hold past the breaks when pushed hard ,and will roll ,and this pic looks like a set of tires were rolled with the breaks on because the tire marks look like they were rolled under heavy resistance ,and no there would'nt be a huge pile of sand if rolled like this ...Really would'nt be a pile if they skidded either...I think the dock workers F-D...UP...unloading the tractor .

Malaki86 11-19-2008 01:55 AM

All I know is that I'd hate to be the one that would have to explain it to the boss.

Also, if the driver did the normal thing and set only the tractor brakes, it's possible that the truck only has a single-axle maxi, which means that there would only be one axle holding the weight. I dunno.

jorlee 11-19-2008 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's (Post 424164)
If there is heavy wt on the tires they will have sufficient...GRIP...to hold past the breaks when pushed hard ,and will roll ,and this pic looks like a set of tires were rolled with the breaks on because the tire marks look like they were rolled under heavy resistance ,and no there would'nt be a huge pile of sand if rolled like this ...Really would'nt be a pile if they skidded either...I think the dock workers F-D...UP...unloading the tractor .

Enlighten me as to how much traction that tractor has sitting on that aluminum decked trailer?

Jumbo 11-19-2008 02:16 AM

Who would try to unload at a dock with that great of a difference between trailer and dock? And if reciever did insist on unloading there the bills get signed first. That tractor is drivers responsibility until someone signs for it. Sign for your stuff and you can unload it however you want.

Jumbo 11-19-2008 02:27 AM

Look at 7th picture down. If the trailer was backed up to the dock there would be almost a foot of difference easy. I have hauled alot of machinery and I highly doubt that tractor would have pushed the trailer 8-10' away from the dock if the brakes were set.

Jumbo 11-19-2008 02:33 AM

Look at 7th picture down. If the trailer was backed up to the dock there would be almost a foot of difference easy. I have hauled alot of machinery and I highly doubt that tractor would have pushed the trailer 8-10' away from the dock if the brakes were set.

jorlee 11-19-2008 02:43 AM

The 8000 series JD tractors started in 1994 progressing to the 8010 series in 1998 then the 8020 series in 2002. I really doubt this has happened once prior 8+ years to this dealership.

Rev.Vassago 11-19-2008 03:32 AM

The driver was unloading at a makeshift dock, and didn't chock his wheels?

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-19-2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorlee (Post 424183)
Enlighten me as to how much traction that tractor has sitting on that aluminum decked trailer?

not sure but probably enough to push that trk/trlr...If the tractor breaks were not set it's all on the driver however if tractor breaks were set I put blame on who unloaded it ...I've been pushed when loadedd by a tractor that was on loose gravel don't know about aluminum decking ...But I have no facts here I don't even know if truck/trlr were moved before the pics taken ...Now it would really suck to pull a swift and not set your breaks ,And if this was a swift flatbed I would'nt even think 2x...OUCH

jorlee 11-19-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's (Post 424201)
not sure but probably enough to push that trk/trlr...If the tractor breaks were not set it's all on the driver however if tractor breaks were set I put blame on who unloaded it ...I've been pushed when loadedd by a tractor that was on loose gravel don't know about aluminum decking ...But I have no facts here I don't even know if truck/trlr were moved before the pics taken ...Now it would really suck to pull a swift and not set your breaks ,And if this was a swift flatbed I would'nt even think 2x...OUCH

There are some forces that need to be overcome. First angle of force would be the concrete wall that would be about a foot, with a tire that is approximately 4 feet tall. Close to equivalent to a care tire vs a curb. Next is the brake shoes on the trailer. If properly set, do not roll.

Now the tractor only weighs 23,000 lbs, the rear being heavier than the front for tractive purposes, would push the front end up over relativily easily. The front end would have approx 8-10K on it.

Now you have the truck. A TMC Peterbilt with a 53 foot step deck, with another tractor on the deck yet. I'm going to guess the truck and trailer weigh between 30-32K plus the another tractor would still have 53K on the truck and trailer. Yet the other tractor hasn't left it yet.

Now, which would be the easiest forco to overcome the 8K front end, , or the 53+k lb truck if the brakes are set? Now if the brakes aren't set, the rolling resistance of the truck is relatively low. Espcailly since it is unknown that he area where the truck parked is flat or slopped down hill.

I'm still not convinced that a 23K lbs tractor can push a 53K truck with with the brakes, set. Especailly when it's not directly pushing, like your saying. I also do know that a semi does not move when the brakes are set and pushing the bales to the front from the rear. I've either stalled out the tractor,or make the tractor spin.

Do you still have doubt? I don't know how any body still could. Trucks w/o brakes set roll relatively easy, when 3/4 ton pickups can pull them disabled.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...i/sideview.jpg

I've hauled my fair share, and loaded too.

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-19-2008 03:17 PM

Well I do beleive that 90 degree stone wall with all that land bhind it offers sufficent wedge to possibly have the trck/trailer move b4 the wall and acerage behind it.

If Larry ,Darryl, And Darryl must insist on proving their 4X skill rather than aquire a dock that is close to level with the vehicle they are unloading/loading then they need to provide wheel chaulks so as not to rely on the mechanical breaks on trk/trlr alone ,as this is not normal unloading ,and breaks can fail ,which is more likey at a HEE HAW dock like this where they have high dollar equipment on a sketchy dock ...Oh and telling a driver you plan to 4x4 off his trailer might have hime set trk/trlr breaks,which it's the norm to set just tractor

If ths driver set his Tractor breaks only that should have been plenty ,but if he did not set tractor breaks hn it's 100% on him...

These photos offer no real evidence other than a wrecked tractor is on a TMC flatbed...Bcause it's unknown if the photos were taken without having tampered with evidence b4 photos were taken...And I don't see 1 photo of the tractor ...wonder why, is there tell tale signs these bumpkins pushed it with set breaks ?

Oh and yes a tractor certainly did easily slide my loaded ( a Cat wheel loader with forks on it) ...DRY VAN ... about 30ft packed with cubed bails of alfalfa all 78,000 lbs of truck/trailer/loaded...You just don't have enough tractor to do the same without stalling or spinnng wheels .

okie 11-19-2008 05:50 PM

yellow~red

If I set both how will my truck idle more than 3-minutes while I run into C-store?

jorlee 11-19-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's (Post 424222)
These photos offer no real evidence other than a wrecked tractor is on a TMC flatbed...Bcause it's unknown if the photos were taken without having tampered with evidence b4 photos were taken...And I don't see 1 photo of the tractor ...wonder why, is there tell tale signs these bumpkins pushed it with set breaks ?

Do you honestly think that a picture was taken of the wheel tracks because they think the brakes were set? The only reason that picture is there is to show that the truck rolled freely from the dock. Why else would I have posted this?

Oh, big cat wheel loader. Lemme guess it considerably outweighs this tractor, and is directly pushing a truck, ok i see that now. But this tractor indirectly pushing a truck away from the dock with brakes set.

Do you think tractors have been unloaded from this dock before, with a step deck trailer, w/o any hiccup?

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-19-2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorlee (Post 424277)
Do you honestly think that a picture was taken of the wheel tracks because they think the brakes were set? The only reason that picture is there is to show that the truck rolled freely from the dock. Why else would I have posted this?

Oh, big cat wheel loader. Lemme guess it considerably outweighs this tractor, and is directly pushing a truck, ok i see that now. But this tractor indirectly pushing a truck away from the dock with brakes set.

Do you think tractors have been unloaded from this dock before, with a step deck trailer, w/o any hiccup?

Yes it outweighs this tractor...But it were not talking about shoving 78k lbs for 30ft withease and no leverage ..w.e're talking moving a few feet and with leverage on what I'm sure is far lighter than 78k lbs.

Also the dock is a hazard ,and it does'nt matter if they used it 1000x it still represents a hazard one they have had 1000x to correct ,but have'nt ...Just because it's been used in an unsafe manner without incidence many times does'nt make it unsafe .

jorlee 11-19-2008 11:19 PM

:confused: :argue: :surrender:

Orangetxguy 11-20-2008 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorlee (Post 424283)
:confused: :argue: :surrender:

Do you feel like you've been banging yer head against that concrete dock there Jorlee???

jorlee 11-20-2008 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 424287)
Do you feel like you've been banging yer head against that concrete dock there Jorlee???

:banghead: Not really. I feel like: A. I'm too smart for my own good. B. I have too much common sense. and C. I question my current knowlege.

Ya, that sounds really good.

I should have just went and drove my uncles truck, and stayed off the farm for a bit.

Windwalker 11-21-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's (Post 424148)
only pull the red one when dropping my trailer...If the tractor breaks are set...yellow knob pulled...you should''nt go anyhere when being loaded or emptied ,and if you do it's the fault of who is loading or unloading you because if they can push the tk/trlr with all 3 tractor axles set they're going to move you with the trailer breaks set ...

I've been pushed by loaders b4 getting hay loaded in a dry van first shove I thought it was immagination 2nd I realized I was sliding ,so i set trlr breaks...And it made no differece...I had amost a full load of hay when that front end loader was packing the last few bails ,so he was pushing about 70k lbs ...I've had guys push me from dock with a regular lift getting loaded with loose dirt under me with the first pallet on b/c I was on loose sand and no weight in the trailer yet for grip,And the loader thought he was at Talladega ...

Think you may want to have a little chat with the shop about your brakes.

Things may have changed over the last few years, but not all that long ago, when you set the tractor brakes, you ONLY SET ONE AXLE. If you have the diffs locked, those spring brakes will affect two drive axles, but the steers have no spring brakes. It is not possible for you to set 3 tractor axles, unless you have a way of locking the brake peddle down.

Like I said, you might want to confirm this with your shop.

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-21-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeeTURBO (Post 424471)
Think you may want to have a little chat with the shop about your brakes.

Things may have changed over the last few years, but not all that long ago, when you set the tractor brakes, you ONLY SET ONE AXLE. If you have the diffs locked, those spring brakes will affect two drive axles, but the steers have no spring brakes. It is not possible for you to set 3 tractor axles, unless you have a way of locking the brake peddle down.

Like I said, you might want to confirm this with your shop.

Well then I never thought of that
and no I normally don't lock the diff in so just 1 axle...But this changes little because I've never been pushed by normal unloading ,and never had the truck roll on steep grade with 46k lb loads held back by just that 1 set of breaks ...And you can't use the service breaks when parking break is applied because the valving will not allow it , as to prevent compounding ...So like I said if this driver set his tractor breaks, and they did'nt ask then I see him doing no wrong...And with an air ride trailer and that dock I see them not asking or wanting him to set the breaks ,because it would drop the trailer even lower .

TomB985 11-21-2008 03:19 PM

BJ, if you are implying that one braking axle is just as good as three, you are out of your mind. If you don't believe me, try it for yourself!

Get a nice, heavy load, at 5 MPH in a parking lot, and pull JUST the yellow button...and see how powerful that ONE axle is. Then, try again, pulling BOTH buttons, setting both trailer axles and tractor axle.

Not sure why ANYONE would ever do that! It's not like it takes more than a second or two to release your trailer brakes...Just setting the tractor brakes because you THINK it's good enough is RECKLESS.:eek1:

Orangetxguy 11-21-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB985 (Post 424487)
BJ, if you are implying that one braking axle is just as good as three, you are out of your mind. If you don't believe me, try it for yourself!

Get a nice, heavy load, at 5 MPH in a parking lot, and pull JUST the yellow button...and see how powerful that ONE axle is. Then, try again, pulling BOTH buttons, setting both trailer axles and tractor axle.

Just setting the tractor brakes because you THINK it's good enough is RECKLESS.:eek1:

Doing that to a truck's brake system is reckless. The system is designed to be activated AFTER the equipment has come to a complete stop, using the service brakes. This is a good way to damage hardware components.

Rev.Vassago 11-21-2008 03:47 PM

At the risk of repeating myself (which I'm clearly doing), where the hell are the wheel chocks?

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-21-2008 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB985 (Post 424487)

Not sure why ANYONE would ever do that! It's not like it takes more than a second or two to release your trailer brakes...Just setting the tractor brakes because you THINK it's good enough is RECKLESS.:eek1:

A nice heavy load at 5 mph is more energy than an unloading at a dock should produce...or do you not realize how much energy is there to be stopped at 5 mph with a 40-47k lb load ...And I've never had any issues at docks with just trator set...and that's real life not interet theory of a pretend driver or wanna be future driver...Now I have seen drivers who have set their trailer breaks in cold weather while at a dock for a coupe hours end up with stuck trailer breaks...LOL dumb-A$$ .

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-21-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 424505)
At the risk of repeating myself (which I'm clearly doing), where the hell are the wheel chocks?

And these should be provided by receiver ,but obviously were not .

Rev.Vassago 11-21-2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's (Post 424510)
And these should be provided by receiver ,but obviously were not .

So that makes it okay not to use anything to chock the wheels then, right?

I'm sure the TMC driver had blocks of wood somewhere on his truck that he could have used. And yet, he didn't.

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-21-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 424524)
So that makes it okay not to use anything to chock the wheels then, right?

I'm sure the TMC driver had blocks of wood somewhere on his truck that he could have used. And yet, he didn't.

A wheel chaulk is a wheel chaulk a piece of wood is a piece of wood ...

Windwalker 11-21-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's (Post 424508)
A nice heavy load at 5 mph is more energy than an unloading at a dock should produce...or do you not realize how much energy is there to be stopped at 5 mph with a 40-47k lb load ...And I've never had any issues at docks with just trator set...and that's real life not interet theory of a pretend driver or wanna be future driver...Now I have seen drivers who have set their trailer breaks in cold weather while at a dock for a coupe hours end up with stuck trailer breaks...LOL dumb-A$$ .

First of all, the fools that only set the tractor brakes at the loading docks are the very reason that many places will not load or unload if the wheels are not chocked. I've been on a surface that was slick enough, that with the brakes set on tractor and trailer, and a chock in front of two trailer tires, when the forklift went into the trailer and stopped, the rig slid forward enough to drop the dockplate. And, two docks over, the truck also slid ahead, but enough to bunp the trailer of a truck parked in front of him.

In the pics, as the load was being driven off the truck, the weight shifted from the drives to the trailer. I'ts entirely possible that the driver DID engage the tractor brakes. But, without the trailer brakes engaged as well, the inertia of the load moving back could have moved the rig forward. May not sound possible, but I've hauled farm machinery before. Some of them can do some very strange things. Wish I had pics of some of them.

Also, who ever was on that AG tractor should have realized that the wheels were turning, but wasn't getting any closer to the dock.

Rev.Vassago 11-21-2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's (Post 424527)
A wheel chaulk is a wheel chaulk a piece of wood is a piece of wood ...

I guess you've never unloaded at a place that uses 4X4 blocks of wood as chocks.

Every Menards hardware store in existence comes to mind. And they use them for flatbeds too (like they should).

TomB985 11-21-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 424488)
Doing that to a truck's brake system is reckless. The system is designed to be activated AFTER the equipment has come to a complete stop, using the service brakes. This is a good way to damage hardware components.

The brake cylinder pushes on the pushrod, which pushes the slack adjuster, which (most of the time) rotates an s-cam, which presses the brake linings against the drums, creating friction and stopping the truck.

Whether you apply air pressure to the brake chamber to provide the force, or vent the air pressure holding back powerful springs to do it(parking brake)....you're doing the same thing.

Orangetxguy 11-21-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB985 (Post 424543)
The brake cylinder pushes on the pushrod, which pushes the slack adjuster, which (most of the time) rotates an s-cam, which presses the brake linings against the drums, creating friction and stopping the truck.

Whether you apply air pressure to the brake chamber to provide the force, or vent the air pressure holding back powerful springs to do it(parking brake)....you're doing the same thing.

Yes Tom...You can "pop" the brakes at 5mph to stop the truck. Your still going to cause component failure, because the "Spring Brake" is not designed to stop a moving truck. It is designed to hold in place a stopped truck.

Once you pull the buttons, you have no recourse. You don't have time to release the brakes to prevent damage. Damage to components can include damaged "S" cams, pads pulled off of rivets, blown brake chambers and even drums can be cracked, from the inertia of the moving vehicle.

Big Jeep had it right when he made this statement;

Quote:

A nice heavy load at 5 mph is more energy than an unloading at a dock should produce...or do you not realize how much energy is there to be stopped at 5 mph with a 40-47k lb load ...
:hellno::hellno::hellno::hellno:

TomB985 11-21-2008 10:55 PM

I don't agree, but this isn't the time, place, or thread for an argument...:)

Regardless, he certainly should have set his brakes and chocked his wheels...driver error, IMHO...:angryblue: