Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Red & Yellow knobs pull out for a reason... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/36207-red-yellow-knobs-pull-out-reason.html)

Rev.Vassago 11-23-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog (Post 425062)
both brake knobs on my truck are black and silver so I don't know what to do!!

You're screwed.

BTW, it's "break", not "brake". Just ask BJ.

Fredog 11-23-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 425066)
You're screwed.

BTW, it's "break", not "brake". Just ask BJ.

what happens if your brakes break while you are on a break?

belpre122 11-23-2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog (Post 425068)

Depends on your take, if your brakes break while on a break....hopefully it's just your jake brake. For goodness sake!:thumbsup:

Kranky 11-23-2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer (Post 425059)
we leave our trailer brakes released when bulk loading so the air scales will work.

In that case you could pull the hand valve (trolley or Johnson bar depending on what terminology you prefer) to keep the trailer brakes on while the trailer is charged (red button pushed in).

Kranky 11-23-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog (Post 425068)

That would depend on whether you are a teamster or not.

TomB985 11-23-2008 09:56 PM

All jokes aside, I am really interested in why so many drivers don't set their trailer brakes. I understand there is a possibility that it'll freeze up. For me, I'll take that risk for the added safety...and I did go through the entire winter last year without freezing up once...

BJ, I'll stop being so argumentative, as I don't like to come off like an ass...and I feel like I've done more than my fair share of that lately...:(

But please tell us why!!!:thumbsup:

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-24-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB985 (Post 425106)
All jokes aside, I am really interested in why so many drivers don't set their trailer brakes. I understand there is a possibility that it'll freeze up. For me, I'll take that risk for the added safety...and I did go through the entire winter last year without freezing up once...

BJ, I'll stop being so argumentative, as I don't like to come off like an ass...and I feel like I've done more than my fair share of that lately...:(

I think your brake knobs ,might be... BLACK an RED .

TomB985 11-24-2008 11:28 AM

Hrmmm...not sure what that means...my '06 Kenworth has the normal red and yellow ones.....:confused:

GMAN 11-24-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB985 (Post 425106)

I think some get in the habit of only setting their tractor brakes due to not doing it in the winter months. I always set both brakes except in winter months. I would continue setting them in winter other than the possibility of freezing in slushy or icy road conditions. It only takes one time for your trailer brakes to freeze for you to not set them in icy conditions. I don't worry about not setting them unless I am in a lot of ice and temperatures or below freezing. You usually don't need to worry about it if you run down South in the winter. The problem can arise in the rust belt or areas where there is a lot of snow. Snow and ice get around your brakes and then freeze when you stop. It is not an issue with the drives since there is power to the wheels that will break them free. You don't have any power to the trailer wheels so you will only drag your trailer. If you start dragging the trailer you may find yourself jackknifed before leaving the parking lot. I nearly jackknifed some years ago in the parking lot of the old Sunshine Truck Stop in Racine, VA. I was on an incline and thought that I might be able to pull it to break free. The trailer started to come around on me so I stopped. I was finally able to get the breaks free using rubbing alcohol and went on my way. There was at least a foot of snow on the parking lot. I had driven in snow for about 200 miles before stopping the previous night so ice had built up on the brakes and axles. If you are in freezing rain and below freezing temperatures your brakes could also freeze should you apply them.

Windwalker 11-24-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's (Post 425045)
Most big companies like Swift,Werner,Schneider,and USX have air ride trailers that make a very distinct sound when that air is released from pulling that red knob...And most new model air ride trailers by Wabash,Dane,And Stoughton all have a very auidible sound when red knob pulled and air dumped...Now take a trailer count of trailers at any large T/S that DO NOT fit this description ,and you have just a few ,and you will also have 99% of the lot parked with just the yellow knob pulled ...That's real world fact not 48/internet or do you only run...INTRANET ...EH HOSER ?

Seems to me that we were first talking about setting brakes at a loading dock, not a truck stop. I will freely admit, as will others, that I do not set the trailer brakes in a truckstop, especially in winter when they could freeze up. However, a loading dock is an entirely different matter. At a loading dock, I set ALL brakes, and chock the wheels. In winter, I will also put about a shot-glass full of airline anti-freeze into the glad-hands to keep the lines from freezing up on the trailer.