Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   How intimidating is it driving in the city? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/34907-how-intimidating-driving-city.html)

tropolis 08-06-2008 04:31 PM

How intimidating is it driving in the city?

On the open road I believe it would be fine. Wide open, don't have to deal with the congestion of traffic flow in the cities. Have time to think things over.

In the city though, big cities like NYC, LA, etc., are you guys intimidated by all of the traffic and not having the time to make a late lane switch, etc? Not to mention all those wide turns you guys would have to make on narrow streets.

YoungZ.W. 08-06-2008 05:25 PM

When you go into any city whether it be a town of 30,000 or a large metropolitian area, you have to process a lot information in a short period of time. I've been through the LA area on I-5 about 3:00pm and it was like trying to put 50 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag. I've been within 30 miles of NYC in NJ and that was pretty bad as well. I hate driving in NJ. Some keys to remember when go into larger cities to deliver:
-Make sure you know where you are going before hand (i.e. have the directions and possible call to confirm directions are accurate)
-Consider the time when you will be going there and take that into consideration (i.e. will it be rush hour)

golfhobo 08-06-2008 05:29 PM

Keep one eye on each mirror, and two eyes straight ahead!! :lol:

And take it slow, and stay out of the far right lane if it's legal to do so.

Creek Jackson 08-06-2008 05:37 PM

If you can manage to stay out of Portland, Oregon :x and heed the above advice, you will be fine.

BigDiesel 08-06-2008 05:57 PM

Re: How intimidating is it driving in the city?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tropolis
On the open road I believe it would be fine. Wide open, don't have to deal with the congestion of traffic flow in the cities. Have time to think things over.

In the city though, big cities like NYC, LA, etc., are you guys intimidated by all of the traffic and not having the time to make a late lane switch, etc? Not to mention all those wide turns you guys would have to make on narrow streets.

It's scary.... lotsa cars and big trucks...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

zipy46 08-06-2008 06:25 PM

gotta stay ahead of the situation and know where u need to be

...people sometimes wont let u over in a lane if its rush hour

esp NJ

Uturn2001 08-06-2008 06:56 PM

Seriously it can be somewhat nerve racking even at 2 am until you build up your skills and confidence.

The big thing is to try to stay relaxed and focused (so eat your frosted mini-wheats before going in ;) ).

You will hear drivers say this city is bad or that one is the worst to drive in, but how bad a city is to drive in really depends on how well you can adjust to the local driving "style" and how well you can predict what that cities idiots are going to do.

GTR SILVER 08-06-2008 08:30 PM

Ihear a lot about how bad new jersey is.....I live hear so I'm used to it... 8) 8) 8)

(love the state,hate the politics.... :? )

and that's the point...the more you do it.......the more you get used to it...

I remember driving a 30 ft stretch limo in NYC 5 days a week.....the first

week was nerve racking.. :shock: :shock: :shock: .... after that it was just annoying... :? :? :? .....and after

that it became second nature :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

BOL 2 ya...!!!!

Mr. Ford95 08-06-2008 08:43 PM

Exactly Uturn. I have heard Chicago is the worst, then I hear LA is the worst and so on. Been right thru LA in a car and it wasn't bad to me. Drove like I was in my truck and never had a problem. The only bad spot I saw was the 710 coming out of Long Beach was jammed up and dead stopped no matter what time of day it was. After a trip or two into a big city you should start to pick up on what roads to avoid and when to avoid them.

Jimbpard 08-06-2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR SILVER
the first week was nerve racking.. :shock: :shock: :shock: .... after that it was just annoying... :? :? :? .....and after that it became second nature :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

What he said! It's all about the directions. If you get good directions, the rest is usually pretty harmless.