Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   How intimidating is it driving in the city? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/34907-how-intimidating-driving-city.html)

JeffTheTerrible 08-07-2008 02:10 AM

City driving, intimidating? Just make sure you know how to get where you're going, and be aware of your surroundings. Personally, I found the state of Kansas to be more intimidating than the city, because if you missed a turn there, you had a ways to go before you could get turned around.

GMAN 08-07-2008 03:26 AM

It is all about attitude and planning. Before you get to the city you need to know where you are going. If you have your directions down then it isn't so difficult to get around.

belpre122 08-07-2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeBron James
How much do you OTR guys get paid to lug them 53' monstrosities around town bumping curbs and pissing everyone off? Oh that's right: $0.00! Mileage pay cuts off at the post office limits. :lol: :lol:

Another one of those "part of the job" things... :lol:

Sheeeeit LBJ. They're lucky to get the post office limits! HHG doesn't even come close in a lot of cases.

Ah, what the hell. I'm not the one driving for free.

Another one of those "it's a lifestyle" things...

TomB985 08-07-2008 12:42 PM

Here we go again...

another OTR vs local thread... :roll:

str.whl.hldr 08-07-2008 08:56 PM

Re: How intimidating is it driving in the city?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tropolis
On the open road I believe it would be fine....

Your wrong.

You WILL be fine. But you'll make mistakes, we all do. Its not that big of a deal. I just try to remember what I did wrong and go from there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tropolis
In the city though, big cities like NYC, LA, etc., are you guys intimidated by all of the traffic and not having the time to make a late lane switch, etc? Not to mention all those wide turns you guys would have to make on narrow streets.

The first time in heavy traffic I was scared and everything seemed to be moving really fast. But knowing how to turning and recognize traffic patterns will soon become instinctual. You'll start spotting the yahoos before they cause trouble. Never make quick jerking moments in a truck. If you pay attention to the signs you will RARELY have to make a quick lane changes. In the heavy congested cities I sometimes run in the higher rpms with the jake brake ON and ready. Sucks for MPG, but makes my "having to drive for other people" easier. Some 4 wheelers will cut you off and put on the brakes, SIGH. Mirrors Mirrors Mirrors.

BOL

Bull M 08-07-2008 10:05 PM

Everyone here has been giving great advice. It's all about knowing your surroundings, and managing/keeping track of the space around your vehicle.

I remember my first dispatches to NYC and Jersey. Even after contending with Chicago, Philly, Montreal, Canada, etc. I was scared to death. But I took my time, prepared for it by KNOWING where I had to go, and KNOWING how to get there. It wasn't traffic that worried me...

Handling four wheelers in the big city isn't what you need to be afraid of... Just treat them like ANY other four wheeler out ther; Consider the stupidest thing they can do, and prepare for it. It's the low clearances and restricted routes that should be a bigger concern. That's where good trip planning becomes a necessity. Your first stop BEFORE getting into the city should be a truckstop/service center on the outskirts to pick up a local roadmap. Preferrably one with the low clearances marked on it. Use that in conjunction with your atlas, and you should be in good shape to plan an effective route to and from the shipper/consignee.

Colts Fan 08-08-2008 12:10 AM

Also, sliding your tandems up will make it easier getting around corners.

belpre122 08-08-2008 06:33 PM

????

Edit

golfhobo 08-08-2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Never make quick jerking moments in a truck.
Unless you're in the sleeper! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jonekatz1 08-08-2008 07:23 PM

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=34907&am

ZiP CodE To ZiPPiE CodE,

Commonly known as Tariff Book miles used by your Big L.D.S Trucking Co's, {Mormon} It's helpful to have Sliding Trailer Axles while in motion, for those hard to get @ Delivery destinations LOL or EXP Which ever comes first LOL. Don't U Know 8) :idea:

Code:

Smart Like EinStein CooL Like Capt'n Kirk 8)  :idea: