Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Another question and its about backing. (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/34510-another-question-its-about-backing.html)

matcat 07-07-2008 03:20 AM

I think every newbie driver gets intimidated by the truck stops for their first few weeks. You are performing I would say the most difficult maneuvers to master in controlling a large vehicle (Atleast it seams that way when you first start), and doing them with a very captive audience, who aren't afraid to offer every comment imaginable while you are doing it. I know for the first few weeks I tried to stay away from truck stops, and looked for the most out of way places to park, but eventually got over it and just did it.

Colts Fan 07-07-2008 03:24 AM

Just turn the CB off, pretend no one is watching, and you'll be fine. If you have to pull up for 5 straight minutes who cares?

Phreddo 07-07-2008 03:57 AM

do your best to get the trailer as straight as you can with the hole -before- you enter the hole. that is, don't cross the threshold while at a pronounced angle, otherwise you risk taking out a mirror.
i always tried to bring the trailer in real tight to one truck and pivot the tandems around the bumper. but what i think you need to do is try and move your aim point about 6 feet further forward than you think you want to go.

ohiomohawk 07-07-2008 05:54 AM

Steer towards trouble is engraved in my mind.

I had a tough time learning how to back, I kept turning as if i was in a car.

Teaching myself to turn the steering wheel opposite direction you want the trailer to turn just took me a little while to get use to.

I always tell myself now to steer towards trouble and its so much easier.

geeshock 07-07-2008 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matcat
Ohh and I should of mentioned it before hand, get out and look! People might look at you silly but it really is a great way to get a good overall picture of what you see in the mirror, and how it actually looks looking at the entire rig and where it is at and what it is doing.

so what, 2+ years later and I get out and look more than i did when i started, only the fools look at you funny about that. I know all those O/O's with the new trucks I backed up next to were thankful I got out and looked. I was too, I realy don't need to pay for a new hood.

geeshock 07-07-2008 06:02 AM

Quote:

Ohh and I should of mentioned it before hand, get out and look! People might look at you silly but it really is a great way to get a good overall picture of what you see in the mirror, and how it actually looks looking at the entire rig and where it is at and what it is doing.

so what, 2+ years later and I get out and look more than i did when i started, only the fools look at you funny about that. I know all those O/O's with the new trucks I backed up next to were thankful I got out and looked. I was too, I realy don't need to pay for a new hood.

matcat 07-07-2008 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeshock
Quote:

Gotta realize, driving for Swift the penut gallery goes into full swing when a swifty is moving in any direction ;) I personally never cared, I rather enjoyed the banter.

Actually I remember a time when myself and 2 other swifties going in the same general direction decided to do a 3 truck swift convoy from Salina Utah to Denver Colorado. Just picture 3 swifties all pulling into and out of the truck stops all at once, the penut gallery was quite active. Was a very entertaining ride.

Roadhog 07-07-2008 06:33 AM

The further up your tandems are, the faster the tail swings, and you need to be more mindful of where your doors are...as they are further out than you expect, if you are watching your wheels.

If I have a tight spot, I sometimes will run my tandems all the way back, and it makes my backing a whole lot easier. The tail swings slower, and I know more where my doors are.

I got into the habit of sliding my tandems by doing a lot of Grocery Warehouse docks. Lots of them are tight as a gnats ass. I like my tandems all the way back for loading and off loading.

I've been in some tight spots, where I needed to squash my rig as short as possible too. So it helps if you gain experience both ways. That little Flying J in Tacoma brings to mind...where I have to crunch up short in order to manage wiggling in.

In the dark, storms, and tight spots...by all means, get out and check your progress. Some spots are just too tight, unless someone spots you...and you have to let it go.

Roadhog 07-07-2008 06:37 AM

Quote:

Actually I remember a time when myself and 2 other swifties going in the same general direction decided to do a 3 truck swift convoy from Salina Utah to Denver Colorado. Just picture 3 swifties all pulling into and out of the truck stops all at once, the penut gallery was quite active. Was a very entertaining ride.

I saw this once at Bloomsburg, Pa.
Three Swift trucks were pulling out of the Truck Stop early in the morning "convoy style."
They all were yakking on the CB to each other. I was walking out to my truck, shower bag and coffee in hand.
The last truck in the convoy had a flat tandem tire.
True story. :)

...sorry matcat, your story jogged my memory of this.
This was like three years ago. It's a fond memory for me. :lol:

Snowman7 07-07-2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

This is a great tip. You need to learn what you are looking at in your mirror. Even though you may be new if you are calm, cool and collected, and do it right, most people will leave you alone. It's just going to take time and practice. Go slow, study your mirrors, and get out to see the big picture. You cant fool anyone by pretending to be good at it cause they are going to know. And then when you screw up you will hear about it! You will learn faster by taking your time and paying attention then you will by pretending and rushing.

Like someone said there are 20 different ways to set up for a hole and git r done. Some might be better than others but no one cares unless you screw it up. But one thing you have to do is follow your trailer in your mirror while pulling forward to set up. When you see that the angle is correct for the situation then you can begin backing. There's no point in going in reverse if you're just guessing and hoping it'll work out.

Just keep working at it and it'll come together. Telling someone how to back is like telling someone how to ride a bike. We all know how to do it but its hard to explain.