Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Another question and its about backing. (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/34510-another-question-its-about-backing.html)

sbatson 07-07-2008 12:41 AM

Another question and its about backing.

Ok I seem like I'm having problems backing into a spot at a truck stop, can anyone give me some pointers on the best way to set myself up to get into a spot easier, I try and seem like I'm turning to soon or something so I'll get Pi#@ed and move on and try to find a straight spot.

bjs24 07-07-2008 12:49 AM

Re: Another question and its about backing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbatson
Ok I seem like I'm having problems backing into a spot at a truck stop, can anyone give me some pointers on the best way to set myself up to get into a spot easier, I try and seem like I'm turning to soon or something so I'll get Pi#@ed and move on and try to find a straight spot.

Being fairly new myself i have found that the slower you back the easier it is to turn and not turn too much. but i have had plenty of more seasoned drivers tell me to find the easiest space to get into if you dont have to back dont you get enough of that at load stops. they have also told me to use all the space you have to make it easier. hope it helps BJS

sbatson 07-07-2008 12:53 AM

Ya I always look for that easy spot but it seems like I'm running into these areas like Amarillo late and seems like the only spot is the one right in the middle of everything.

matcat 07-07-2008 01:00 AM

Truck stops after dark are the perfect places to practice that backing skill :) Unless I just wasn't in the mood, I often looked for the toughest spot and worked my way into it, and driving for swift I had a really nice cheering section over the radio :).

You ask 20 drivers the best tips for backing and you will get 20 different tips and ideas. The biggest is don't blind side it, if at all possible. Most truck stops are setup that you don't have to blind side into a spot. Also take your time, if people start getting on your nerves over the CB about taking a while, just shut it off, don't worry about them (Me personally I rather enjoyed the penut gallery :)).

Uturn2001 07-07-2008 01:02 AM

When trying to back try, if possiblef to not start the back at a 90 degree angle from the space.

To start you want to be about 6-8 feet away from the hole and parallel to it. When your door is about even with the middle of the hole stop and look to your right for some kind of land mark directly across from the space you are wanting to back into. . Turn hard right and drive towards that object. When you about a 1 1/2 hood length (maybe a little more) away from your landmark turn hard left. This should place your trailer at the opening of the hole. You may have to drive forward a little bit to improve the angle or orientation to the hole, but it should put you in decent shape.

Before starting your back, be sure to turn your steering wheel straight.

It will take some time and practice and you will need to fine tune your turns and starting point to fit your truck since every truck handles a bit differently.

sbatson 07-07-2008 01:14 AM

Ya I leave out 2-morrow so I will try all the advice I get today and see what works best for me.

classB 07-07-2008 01:33 AM

You need to find your reference points. Find a big open parking lot with no cars. Then select one parking space and try to back in. Look at the spot on the road where you started to turn before backing up and where you end up once your backing up. The next time try doing the exact same thing but from a different starting point, it could be a couple feet further down or a couple feet earlier. Maybe your reference point is the door. See where you line your truck up so when you turn the wheel you are lined up to go in straight. That is your reference point. It is trial and error but once you find your reference point you will be able to back in every time the exact same way without having to think about things.

On my bus the reference point is the center of the passenger door. Once I see that line up with the parking spot next to the one I want (right before my parking spot), I turn the wheel all the way to the left, hard left and go until I am lined up perfectly straight with the spot. I then back in straight. Works every time.

One more thing you want to do is when your actually backing up is use your drivers side flat mirrors and watch to see your truck get close to the parking line. Use those mirrors. Don't try and stick your head out the window or use some other system. Don't worry about the passenger side mirrors. If you're lined up straight and your tires are close to the parking line on the drivers side, you won't hit anything on the other side. You can look from time to time to the passenger mirrors, but don't use them to line yourself up.

Good luck. Once you learn your reference points and back in a couple times it becomes very easy to do. Go slow the first couple times and learn from each attempt at backing up. It is much easier to line yourself up and go back straight than to try and turn in at an angle.

matcat 07-07-2008 02:00 AM

Ohh and I should of mentioned it before hand, get out and look! People might look at you silly but it really is a great way to get a good overall picture of what you see in the mirror, and how it actually looks looking at the entire rig and where it is at and what it is doing.

JeffTheTerrible 07-07-2008 02:11 AM

This may sound a bit weird, but I actually managed to work out my backing difficulties through the dreams I had when I first started running OTR. I know it sounds ridiculous, but, when I first started off, I would actually have dreams that I was driving the truck, and it would always scare the living hell out of me when I woke up, because I'd immediately think that I'd fallen asleep behind the wheel.
I know it's not advice, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. As for backing advice, practice, practice, practice. That's all I can really say.

sbatson 07-07-2008 02:15 AM

This does help and I will use it out there on this trip and try to stop early so I can try to do it before everyone piles in.

matcat 07-07-2008 03:20 AM

I think every newbie driver gets intimidated by the truck stops for their first few weeks. You are performing I would say the most difficult maneuvers to master in controlling a large vehicle (Atleast it seams that way when you first start), and doing them with a very captive audience, who aren't afraid to offer every comment imaginable while you are doing it. I know for the first few weeks I tried to stay away from truck stops, and looked for the most out of way places to park, but eventually got over it and just did it.

Colts Fan 07-07-2008 03:24 AM

Just turn the CB off, pretend no one is watching, and you'll be fine. If you have to pull up for 5 straight minutes who cares?

Phreddo 07-07-2008 03:57 AM

do your best to get the trailer as straight as you can with the hole -before- you enter the hole. that is, don't cross the threshold while at a pronounced angle, otherwise you risk taking out a mirror.
i always tried to bring the trailer in real tight to one truck and pivot the tandems around the bumper. but what i think you need to do is try and move your aim point about 6 feet further forward than you think you want to go.

ohiomohawk 07-07-2008 05:54 AM

Steer towards trouble is engraved in my mind.

I had a tough time learning how to back, I kept turning as if i was in a car.

Teaching myself to turn the steering wheel opposite direction you want the trailer to turn just took me a little while to get use to.

I always tell myself now to steer towards trouble and its so much easier.

geeshock 07-07-2008 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matcat
Ohh and I should of mentioned it before hand, get out and look! People might look at you silly but it really is a great way to get a good overall picture of what you see in the mirror, and how it actually looks looking at the entire rig and where it is at and what it is doing.

so what, 2+ years later and I get out and look more than i did when i started, only the fools look at you funny about that. I know all those O/O's with the new trucks I backed up next to were thankful I got out and looked. I was too, I realy don't need to pay for a new hood.

geeshock 07-07-2008 06:02 AM

Quote:

so what, 2+ years later and I get out and look more than i did when i started, only the fools look at you funny about that. I know all those O/O's with the new trucks I backed up next to were thankful I got out and looked. I was too, I realy don't need to pay for a new hood.

matcat 07-07-2008 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeshock
Quote:

Gotta realize, driving for Swift the penut gallery goes into full swing when a swifty is moving in any direction ;) I personally never cared, I rather enjoyed the banter.

Actually I remember a time when myself and 2 other swifties going in the same general direction decided to do a 3 truck swift convoy from Salina Utah to Denver Colorado. Just picture 3 swifties all pulling into and out of the truck stops all at once, the penut gallery was quite active. Was a very entertaining ride.

Roadhog 07-07-2008 06:33 AM

The further up your tandems are, the faster the tail swings, and you need to be more mindful of where your doors are...as they are further out than you expect, if you are watching your wheels.

If I have a tight spot, I sometimes will run my tandems all the way back, and it makes my backing a whole lot easier. The tail swings slower, and I know more where my doors are.

I got into the habit of sliding my tandems by doing a lot of Grocery Warehouse docks. Lots of them are tight as a gnats ass. I like my tandems all the way back for loading and off loading.

I've been in some tight spots, where I needed to squash my rig as short as possible too. So it helps if you gain experience both ways. That little Flying J in Tacoma brings to mind...where I have to crunch up short in order to manage wiggling in.

In the dark, storms, and tight spots...by all means, get out and check your progress. Some spots are just too tight, unless someone spots you...and you have to let it go.

Roadhog 07-07-2008 06:37 AM

Quote:

Actually I remember a time when myself and 2 other swifties going in the same general direction decided to do a 3 truck swift convoy from Salina Utah to Denver Colorado. Just picture 3 swifties all pulling into and out of the truck stops all at once, the penut gallery was quite active. Was a very entertaining ride.

I saw this once at Bloomsburg, Pa.
Three Swift trucks were pulling out of the Truck Stop early in the morning "convoy style."
They all were yakking on the CB to each other. I was walking out to my truck, shower bag and coffee in hand.
The last truck in the convoy had a flat tandem tire.
True story. :)

...sorry matcat, your story jogged my memory of this.
This was like three years ago. It's a fond memory for me. :lol:

Snowman7 07-07-2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

This is a great tip. You need to learn what you are looking at in your mirror. Even though you may be new if you are calm, cool and collected, and do it right, most people will leave you alone. It's just going to take time and practice. Go slow, study your mirrors, and get out to see the big picture. You cant fool anyone by pretending to be good at it cause they are going to know. And then when you screw up you will hear about it! You will learn faster by taking your time and paying attention then you will by pretending and rushing.

Like someone said there are 20 different ways to set up for a hole and git r done. Some might be better than others but no one cares unless you screw it up. But one thing you have to do is follow your trailer in your mirror while pulling forward to set up. When you see that the angle is correct for the situation then you can begin backing. There's no point in going in reverse if you're just guessing and hoping it'll work out.

Just keep working at it and it'll come together. Telling someone how to back is like telling someone how to ride a bike. We all know how to do it but its hard to explain.

zipy46 07-07-2008 02:10 PM

Re: Another question and its about backing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbatson

Pull forward in order to point the trailer towards the hole

wot i life 07-07-2008 02:19 PM

http://www.valleyforgelabs.com/reverse_movement.pdf

TomB985 07-07-2008 02:44 PM

Contrary to much said here, I don't recommend a new driver EVER go for the easy spots!

If you do nothing but easy spots when you're first starting out, what do you do when you have a really tight one that you HAVE to get into...like a tough customer location, or worse the last, TIGHT spot in a truck stop when you are out of hours!

On the comments on blindside backing...yeah, it's tough...but you WILL be in situations where you will HAVE TO DO IT! Better to get some practice by DOING IT then just by going to the easy ones. Just get out and look...OFTEN! It's every bit as possible as a sight-side back, the difference being you have to GOAL every couple of feet...

Very valuable experience....fear no back... :twisted:

BIG JEEP on 44's 07-07-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB985
Contrary to much said here, I don't recommend a new driver EVER go for the easy spots!

If you do nothing but easy spots when you're first starting out, what do you do when you have a really tight one that you HAVE to get into...like a tough customer location, or worse the last, TIGHT spot in a truck stop when you are out of hours!

On the comments on blindside backing...yeah, it's tough...but you WILL be in situations where you will HAVE TO DO IT! Better to get some practice by DOING IT then just by going to the easy ones. Just get out and look...OFTEN! It's every bit as possible as a sight-side back, the difference being you have to GOAL every couple of feet...

Very valuable experience....fear no back... :twisted:

a driver who has'nt mastered sight side is wasting his/her time practicing blind side...because if your set up sucks and you can't make the trailer do what you want sight side then your double screwed blind side...in 3 yrs i've backed blind side about 10 times... a couple were practice 1x was needed ,and it was not a tight angle...the rest were for show...Avoiding backing won't make you good but trying to run b4 you can crawl is just a waste of time.

BigDiesel 07-07-2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classB
You need to find your reference points. Find a big open parking lot with no cars. Then select one parking space and try to back in. Look at the spot on the road where you started to turn before backing up and where you end up once your backing up. The next time try doing the exact same thing but from a different starting point, it could be a couple feet further down or a couple feet earlier. Maybe your reference point is the door. See where you line your truck up so when you turn the wheel you are lined up to go in straight. That is your reference point. It is trial and error but once you find your reference point you will be able to back in every time the exact same way without having to think about things.

On my bus the reference point is the center of the passenger door. Once I see that line up with the parking spot next to the one I want (right before my parking spot), I turn the wheel all the way to the left, hard left and go until I am lined up perfectly straight with the spot. I then back in straight. Works every time.

One more thing you want to do is when your actually backing up is use your drivers side flat mirrors and watch to see your truck get close to the parking line. Use those mirrors. Don't try and stick your head out the window or use some other system. Don't worry about the passenger side mirrors. If you're lined up straight and your tires are close to the parking line on the drivers side, you won't hit anything on the other side. You can look from time to time to the passenger mirrors, but don't use them to line yourself up.

Good luck. Once you learn your reference points and back in a couple times it becomes very easy to do. Go slow the first couple times and learn from each attempt at backing up. It is much easier to line yourself up and go back straight than to try and turn in at an angle.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you ever backed a 28' or a 48' or even a 53' ??

A trailer is bit different than a bus.... :lol:

Another blind leading the blind post..... :lol:

To the OP.... Take your time, go slow slow slow, G.O.A.L. , Turn off that damn CB, be patient, relax, and do not be afraid to ask for help.

golfhobo 07-07-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you ever backed a 28' or a 48' or even a 53' ??

A trailer is bit different than a bus.... :lol:

Another blind leading the blind post..... :lol:

To the OP.... Take your time, go slow slow slow, G.O.A.L. , Turn off that damn CB, be patient, relax, and do not be afraid to ask for help.

WOW!!! Big D's actually offering ADVICE for once? I think I'm gonna faint! :lol:

But.... you JUST couldn't do it without getting in an insult first, could ya? :wink:

Now, I wouldn't want to contradict the 30 yr expert on anything..... but, personally.... I find that if you go TOO slow, you don't actually SEE the results of the stupid stuff you are doing on the steering wheel! :lol:

The CB is a tough call! If you're a Swifty.... it might be a good idea. But, if not.... I'd say leave it ON, but turned down low! You never know when someone is gonna offer to HELP you over the CB..... OR, warn you of impending danger!

bikerboy 07-18-2008 12:56 AM

some spots are almost impossible to back into with a 48 foot spread axle flatbed loaded with 47 000 pounds and a long hood pete 379

i avoid whenever i can, it twists the h*ll out of the trailer and axles and tires, spread axles are a PAIN to back up unless you have a axle dump valve to dump one trailer axle. and when the trailer is part way turned, everytime i try to feather the clutch, the truck will start bouncing, from all the stress of the twisted trailer.

Thats one thing i hate about spread axles.

and these new '05 and newer petes have the mirrors mounted to the cab, and i can;t see around the stack on the good side, and can;t use the door to change the mirror angle. so i usually don't try hard spots.

usually i don;t even sleep at truckstops much anymore, there just aren;t enough of them in the US northeast, so i sleep at customers.

ct77 07-18-2008 02:02 AM

Spreadaxles gotta just love em!!!

Remember unloading some steel for a fencing company in Miami, they did not want you to back into their yard, so I had to pull in forward and angle the cab around their office so that the trailer was sitting at a 45 degree angle to the entrance gate so they could unload, that was all the room they had behind the office. Now the fun part was not that I had to back out into four lanes of Miami traffic blind, they helped me there by stopping the traffic. When the forklift unloaded the steel the weight came off the front axle resulting in the tire shifting to a new angle in effect steering the trailer towards their fence instead of the entrance which I had just drove thru, I got it out but it was work. For those of you who dont know what I mean watch a spread axle take a tight turn at the truck stop and watch how the front tire leans one way and the rear another way. now stop it in the middle of the turn and when you remove the weight the force holding the angle is gone and the tires will straighten themselves up resulting in new steering angle at the rear.

cdreid 07-19-2008 12:56 AM

Im not the worlds best backer

Having said that i dont hit sh*t and have put my truck in holes most people would be a fraid to put a car into.

1: truck stops. Only morons park in truck stops if they dont have too. Where do most preventables happen? thats right. Try not to be a moron. Its a good life rule.

2: look for the easiest back. You dont get extra points for doing something dangerous and probably above yoru ability.

3: GOAL

4: PULL UP. Does that idiot on the cb pay your salary? If he's dissing you its because he cant drive so wants to put down others. PULL UP. That preventable will stay with you for years. That scumbag on the cb is gone with the click of a button.

5: Try to always back the same way. There are a lot of different techniques. Practice one. A friend of mine used to practice blindsiding in his spare time (Whereas i would sleep in my spare time!). He got to be a master at it. Another always sets up the same way. Wheels in the same place relative to the hole. He can pop it in 90% of the time in one shot in a heartbeat.

6: Try seeing the "circle" your tandems need dto make. A friend taught me this. If you get into practice you can see the arc between your tandems and the hole and that helps a Lot.

7: Dont overcorrect. Overcorrecting causes 5 times the problems it solves. Jackknifing your truck can damage the truck and you often cant fix the turn.

8: If you cant see the line or cant judge the hole find things to use as landmarks like rocks, twigs, etc or get out and move some. When you can just put yoru tandems on a "line" of refuse and tell whre your drives are by that refuse it makes things a lot easier.

9: GOAL goal goal goal. You know those guys talking trash on the cb or whatever? Been outa school 2 months and hit 4 things. That guy who gets out and directs you in? Probably been driving 20 years. Think about it.

NOBODY is supertrucker. Locals are great backers because they hit the same hole every time in short trucks. We otr guys are great at taking our truck places that would terrify a 4 wheeler. But none of us are perfect. Just destress. Turn the cb off. Professionals take their time and get it in the hole without any preventables. Thats the ONLY measure that counts.

wot i life 07-19-2008 01:09 AM

Re: Im not the worlds best backer

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdreid

NOBODY is supertrucker.

I`m fair close to it!(lol) I backed this on my blind side into a factory in Doncaster. That trailer has self tracking, which makes reversing even harder.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/untitled.jpg

cdreid 07-19-2008 01:41 AM

Lol

I stand corrected sir.

Nobody but WOT is a supertrucker heh.

I once saw two guys pulling double 53 lowboys in the jacksonville pilot. THOSE guys were supertruckers.

BigWheels 07-19-2008 02:00 AM

G.O.A.L.

Put the flashers on.
Get out and look.
Take your time (but not too much time).
If need be, get out and look again.
Once you're in...take a deep breath, smile, and tell yourself "well done!"
Don't forget to say "thanks" to anyone who helped you on the radio or who was guiding you back.

Although "practice makes perfect", there is no excuse for G.O.A.L. when there is any doubt in getting in the hole.

wot i life 07-19-2008 02:16 AM

Re: Lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdreid
I stand corrected sir.

Nobody but WOT is a supertrucker heh.

I once saw two guys pulling double 53 lowboys in the jacksonville pilot. THOSE guys were supertruckers.

When those guys have taken class 4 rail carriages into London with all its narrow streets and horrendous traffic, thats when I will bow to them; not before.
Again, with tongue in cheek :wink: