Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   I have a odd question. (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/34505-i-have-odd-question.html)

sbatson 07-06-2008 05:43 PM

I have a odd question.

Can I wear flip flopes when I'm driving a CMV?

Syncrosonix 07-06-2008 05:50 PM

it's written somewhere that it's not proper attire for driving commercial vehicles. i don't know why. i didn't write the rule down. i'm guilty of driving a couple of times with flip-flops on. sometimes i don't feel like putting on some socks, my shoes, and dealing with having sweaty feet for a good portion of the day.

sbatson 07-06-2008 05:55 PM

Do you think that DOT will actually mess with you if they happened to give you a good ol check.

Syncrosonix 07-06-2008 05:58 PM

i dunno.

classB 07-06-2008 05:59 PM

Flip flops can get hooked on the accelerator pedal and can cause an accident if that happens when something causes the driver to want to stop but isn't able to move his foot for a second or two.. I'd avoid wearing them.

countryhorseman 07-06-2008 06:33 PM

Think of it this way! Preparing for the flames!

How professional does it look when a driver gets out of a truck wearing flip flops, baggy down to the knees shorts and a basketball jersey that hangs down past the shorts!

Or maybe like this!

How skid resistant are those flip flops! Picture your butt hitting the ground on a slightly damp fuel island and cracking your head on the pump curb! :wink:

I say ouch! It is hard enough some days with boots w/heels, much less some cheap flip flops!

Or maybe,

Your truck catches on fire and you have to run like haide's to get away from it, will those flip flops protect your feet and allow you to run!

Just some thoughts!

Anyway, this was addressed about a year or so back on this forum, and with the exception of one state (do not remember which), there are no laws against driving bare footed or with flip flops!

Although, most companies will have some mandatory minimal footwear while operating their equipment!

Syncrosonix 07-06-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countryhorseman
Think of it this way! Preparing for the flames!

How professional does it look when a driver gets out of a truck wearing flip flops, baggy down to the knees shorts and a basketball jersey that hangs down past the shorts!

Or maybe like this!

How skid resistant are those flip flops! Picture your butt hitting the ground on a slightly damp fuel island and cracking your head on the pump curb! :wink:

I say ouch! It is hard enough some days with boots w/heels, much less some cheap flip flops!

Or maybe,

Your truck catches on fire and you have to run like haide's to get away from it, will those flip flops protect your feet and allow you to run!

Just some thoughts!

Anyway, this was addressed about a year or so back on this forum, and with the exception of one state (do not remember which), there are no laws against driving bare footed or with flip flops!

Although, most companies will have some mandatory minimal footwear while operating their equipment!

what's wrong with baggy shorts? mine are longer and go below my knees, and i wear a belt that keeps them at about waist level. i laugh every time i see some short shorts and some special cases where dudes are wearing cut-off shorts that look like daisy dukes. cover those pasty legs! :shock:

Uturn2001 07-06-2008 07:03 PM

Can you wear flip flops while driving? Yes. You can also go barefoot if you want to while in the truck. Is it really safe to do either? Not really.

countryhorseman 07-06-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syncrosonix
what's wrong with baggy shorts? mine are longer and go below my knees, and i wear a belt that keeps them at about waist level. i laugh every time i see some short shorts and some special cases where dudes are wearing cut-off shorts that look like daisy dukes. cover those pasty legs! :shock:

My legs would blind you, they are white white! Aside from being in a truck most of the time, ranch work in the Texas Hill Country does not quite make a short friendly environment, so the legs rarely see sunlight!

zipy46 07-06-2008 08:45 PM

One your feet accidentally slip out of your shower shoes and touch the

shower floor at the Truck Stop

and catch the athletes fungus you will have to go barefoot to let the skin

stay dry and peel off as it heals. :shock: