Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   The Changing Industry (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/34163-changing-industry.html)

BIG JEEP on 44's 10-19-2008 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveP (Post 418825)
Cops are WAY underpaid. The good ones do it because they LOVE their job.

Teachers are WAY underpaid. The good ones do it because they LOVE their job.

I'm a company flatbedder. I'm paid percentage. I LOVE my job. I also do it well. Because of this I get a LOT of the good paying loads because usually more is expected by the customer and the company is CONFIDENT on my ability to get the job done.

I also live in the South and I bet my "chump change"$1000 to $1400 paycheck goes WAY farther than the "average" paycheck stated you make due to the fact the cost of living is much lower here...

I feel I'm an honest, hard-working man supporting his family and making his contribution to society in fine style AND I'm happy with that...

And that's wrong...HOW?

Cops aren't under paid infact state patrol or a county in a county that isn't PO' dunk make more than drivers...Plus most cops aren't out saving the world or doing anything heroic or self sacraficing in nature...

Teachers are not under-paid they make from 40k-100k depending on where/what they teach and have 50% of the year off ...no real sacrafice there .

Kevin0915 11-16-2008 03:41 PM

You are so blind. The median STARTING wage for a police officer is $35-40k, unless you've been on the force for 10s of years, you're not making $100k a year. Kinda like pilots. You start out making $30-35k. and only after you put some time in, does it go up.

Teachers get half the year off? If you think that, then either you were a high school drop out, or home schooled, which explains alot. Teachers start preparing for the school year weeks ahead of 'first day of class'. which is normally late August, so teachers are 'working' 2nd week of August. And the school year isnt over till late May? and if they teach summer school, (granted an extra bonus to their salary) they only get a month or two off. So from Mid-August to lets say mid-May. they are working 9 months. that is more than 50% my friend. if you want me to send it to you outside of this 'story problem' format, i will.

Windwalker 11-22-2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin0915 (Post 423661)
You are so blind. The median STARTING wage for a police officer is $35-40k, unless you've been on the force for 10s of years, you're not making $100k a year. Kinda like pilots. You start out making $30-35k. and only after you put some time in, does it go up.

Teachers get half the year off? If you think that, then either you were a high school drop out, or home schooled, which explains alot. Teachers start preparing for the school year weeks ahead of 'first day of class'. which is normally late August, so teachers are 'working' 2nd week of August. And the school year isnt over till late May? and if they teach summer school, (granted an extra bonus to their salary) they only get a month or two off. So from Mid-August to lets say mid-May. they are working 9 months. that is more than 50% my friend. if you want me to send it to you outside of this 'story problem' format, i will.

And, in many cases, teachers are required to take summer courses at a university to keep their certification. Sure blows the summer away.

wepwawet 11-28-2008 09:38 PM

"I'm looking for a long-haul job. I want to run coast-to-coast and none of that short haul crap."

Most companies are moving toward eliminating long haul runs and going more to the short to medium haul freight. That's where the money is. Technically, it's been where the money has been for a long time. It's just that in today's market with fuel being what it is, the profit margin for long hauls has completely vanished.

(All well and good but a 200 mile run almost everyday dont make me no $$$ even if the load pays $5000 I still only get CPM)

"My truck must have an APU."

Granted, it would be nice for all trucks to eventually have APUs and perhaps someday we'll be there as an industry. But APU's are still a wild card. Several states have banned them and/or considering banning them. Most of the larger companies are taking a wait and see approach until they know what the eventual standard is going to be. By the same token, though, if a company doesn't have APU's on their truck, their idling policy needs to be along the lines of "use common sense."

( All I say is no sub. ie apu idleair home or its nice out dont cry about idle time :) )

"I need to take my dog Scooter with me."

Pet policies will soon be a thing of the past. Most companies are getting rid of pet policies due to the excessive idling that is needed to maintain a safe and comfortable environment for said 4-legger when you are not in the truck... ie. showering, eating, playing video poker, etc.

(amazing they find maintaining a safe and comfortable environment a bad thing, I know more then a few that took pets so they could stay in such environment )

"I must be able to use an inverter. I can't afford to eat out all the time."

Inverters are another animal. A few companies still accept them, but that is a dwindling list. The fire hazard that inverters create have pushed a lot of companies to banning them outright. On top of that, there is a pretty big liability involved, too. If a company still allows them and has their shop install them, there is still that human element. If a shop-installed inverter malfunctions and burns the truck to the ground with the driver in it, they might as well hand over a blank check to the family of the dead driver.

As to the issue of not being able to afford to eat out all the time, go buy a 12V cooler. I know a lot of guys that go that route, pack it with the basics every week and then eat healthy and well the entire time they are out on the road. If you want an inverter for your microwave, George Foreman grill, coffee-maker, Belgian waffle maker, and espresso machine, go buy your own truck.

( cooler works great if your going to be home every week and during said wk. But wks away from home and I would like to heat something up :) )

Musicman 12-01-2008 02:58 AM

Put up and Shut Up

It’s really this simple:
If you are a newbie, shut up, sit down, drive the truck and get experience. As long as you are not being forced to violate the law, you deserve absolutely zero consideration in what goes on. I was just happy to have a job years ago when I got into this business. Your first year or two, your number one job besides doing what your company asks you to do is to learn this business. It’s unfortunate that very few anymore ever do actually learn how to be a good driver or how this industry works.

If you pay attention and learn a few things and get a couple of years of good experience, have no accidents or tickets, then you have the right and the option of shopping for a company that meets your “standards”. Otherwise, why would a company go out of its way to accommodate your needy, whining butt when you are the run of the mill, know nothing, don’t care to know anything steering wheel holder?

GMAN 12-03-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wepwawet (Post 426339)
"I'm looking for a long-haul job. I want to run coast-to-coast and none of that short haul crap."

Most companies are moving toward eliminating long haul runs and going more to the short to medium haul freight. That's where the money is. Technically, it's been where the money has been for a long time. It's just that in today's market with fuel being what it is, the profit margin for long hauls has completely vanished.

(All well and good but a 200 mile run almost everyday dont make me no $$$ even if the load pays $5000 I still only get CPM)

"My truck must have an APU."

Granted, it would be nice for all trucks to eventually have APUs and perhaps someday we'll be there as an industry. But APU's are still a wild card. Several states have banned them and/or considering banning them. Most of the larger companies are taking a wait and see approach until they know what the eventual standard is going to be. By the same token, though, if a company doesn't have APU's on their truck, their idling policy needs to be along the lines of "use common sense."

( All I say is no sub. ie apu idleair home or its nice out dont cry about idle time :) )

"I need to take my dog Scooter with me."

Pet policies will soon be a thing of the past. Most companies are getting rid of pet policies due to the excessive idling that is needed to maintain a safe and comfortable environment for said 4-legger when you are not in the truck... ie. showering, eating, playing video poker, etc.

(amazing they find maintaining a safe and comfortable environment a bad thing, I know more then a few that took pets so they could stay in such environment )

"I must be able to use an inverter. I can't afford to eat out all the time."

Inverters are another animal. A few companies still accept them, but that is a dwindling list. The fire hazard that inverters create have pushed a lot of companies to banning them outright. On top of that, there is a pretty big liability involved, too. If a company still allows them and has their shop install them, there is still that human element. If a shop-installed inverter malfunctions and burns the truck to the ground with the driver in it, they might as well hand over a blank check to the family of the dead driver.

As to the issue of not being able to afford to eat out all the time, go buy a 12V cooler. I know a lot of guys that go that route, pack it with the basics every week and then eat healthy and well the entire time they are out on the road. If you want an inverter for your microwave, George Foreman grill, coffee-maker, Belgian waffle maker, and espresso machine, go buy your own truck.

( cooler works great if your going to be home every week and during said wk. But wks away from home and I would like to heat something up :) )

I suggest you save your money and buy your own truck. That way you can do whatever you want with it. You can get your own authority and take any animal with you that you want. When you work for a company it is not up to you to dictate to them how to run their business. A truck is a place of business and is no place for pets. There are a number of reasons why people need to keep their pets out of a truck, but the bottom line is that when you drive someone else's truck or lease to a carrier you either follow their rules or go find something else to do. Some states are looking at restricting idling even when pets are in the truck. I think that if you need to take a pet with you that you are not ready for the independence of the road. You should stay at home with your pet and find a job you can do where you can be home every day to take care of your animal. It is not fair for the animal to be couped up in a truck 24/7. It isn't fair for the employer to have do deal with the aftermath of having a pet living in their truck. As someone new to this industry you will find that carriers are not so willing to bow to an inexperienced driver's demands. Most companies will lay out their rules in the beginning. I don't think you will find ANY carrier's who are willing to accept rules or demands from new employees.

Rockatansky 12-03-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 427233)
I don't think you will find ANY carrier's who are willing to accept rules or demands from new employees.

I'd be hard pressed to think of any employer, of any kind that would accept demands short of some perks for a big $$$$ executive gig.

BOT:
I don't see the big deal.
All you have to do is your homework and find a good fit.
Keep moving on till you find the right one.

I'm with a carrier that lets me have:
An inverter (installed by our shop), an APU (on most of the trucks), pets and most importantly to me, no driver trainer when starting out.
Newbies sink or swim.
If I had been trapped in a truck for weeks with a DT, he would have committed suicide.
Whether he wanted to or not.
That would have been my story and I'd have stuck to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight Flyer:

The excuse that an inverter will start a fire is weak.
Many trucks have a wabesco heater and they are a much bigger fire hazard.

Of course the heater saves the company lots of fuel over idling, whereas a driver that drops dead early from clogged arteries after eating a lifetime of fast food never collects a pension.
And who cares if it costs more to eat out when you are the one who goes home every night from the
front office?

Company bean counters have to keep their priorities straight.

bentstrider 12-03-2008 11:27 PM

All I want is to use a Qualcomm again.

I only like to keep my cell-phone for minimal use, not the life-line for work.

BIG JEEP on 44's 12-04-2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin0915 (Post 423661)

No one said a cop made 100k...learn to read !...And most cops make about 40k 1st year= plenty of money for the profession of driving around in a county vehicle handing out traffic tickets...most cops are in less danger than than the aveage truck driver making a delivery in bad area...And far less than C-store attendants ...Teachers once again not underpaid...they still get the time off you listed plus the holidays,So...MY FRIEND...teachers are not underpaid heroes.

Hawkjr 12-04-2008 06:22 PM

I know this is not a Teacher Board but Big Jeep i don't know how long you have been out of school but as me being only a few years removed teachers are really UNDERPAID.. Trying to get a young man who doesn't give a damn about school to pass a simple ass test and if you can't do that you lose your job?? Trust me you do not no how much stressful a teacher job is.. Especially High School.. Elementary School teachers might get what they earn but when you get to middle school and high school teachers are way unappreciated and underpaid... Especially teachers that teach in bad city schools!! you just dont know man.. but hey if thats your opinion oh well

GMAN 12-17-2008 11:22 AM

Some teachers are well paid. Most of them have a lot of down time. If you consider the time off it isn't such a bad pay check. On the other hand, I don't see how some teachers do what they do with all the things they need to deal. They are buried in paperwork, much of it to prevent them from being sued by parents of the children they are supposed to teach. We need good teachers. I think the quality of teachers would be much better if we got the government out of teaching our children. Parents also need to become more involved in the process.

wepwawet 12-29-2008 01:45 AM

"I suggest you save your money and buy your own truck. That way you can do whatever you want with it. You can get your own authority and take any animal with you that you want. When you work for a company it is not up to you to dictate to them how to run their business. A truck is a place of business and is no place for pets. There are a number of reasons why people need to keep their pets out of a truck, but the bottom line is that when you drive someone else's truck or lease to a carrier you either follow their rules or go find something else to do. Some states are looking at restricting idling even when pets are in the truck. I think that if you need to take a pet with you that you are not ready for the independence of the road. You should stay at home with your pet and find a job you can do where you can be home every day to take care of your animal. It is not fair for the animal to be couped up in a truck 24/7. It isn't fair for the employer to have do deal with the aftermath of having a pet living in their truck. As someone new to this industry you will find that carriers are not so willing to bow to an inexperienced driver's demands. Most companies will lay out their rules in the beginning. I don't think you will find ANY carrier's who are willing to accept rules or demands from new employees."

I didnt say I have a pet I said some ppl did it to get around the dumb laws/rules. I take it you have had a bad exp with pets in your trucks :(

The rest still stands tho, what alt. is there to idling? Why are companys/ owner ops putting APUs on their trucks? cause it saves them money and pays for itself in about a yr. I dont care if they put apu on or not thats as you say a company choice but my apu turns on everytime I turn the key :)

I work for a company that allows inverters :)

Short hauls come on man simple math 1400-1800 mi a wk x.38 532-684 a wk before taxes/med thats not worth being out here 24/7 when i can make more being home everyday. thats not to say i dont take the short stuff but I would have to have a talk with someone if it was everyday like some ppl are having to do.

I dont demand nothing but I also dont app at companys that dont fit for me. Its a give and take game just like any other job they tell you what they are willing either you can live within those guidelines or you cant but dont take a job for ex that dont allow inverters then complain when they wont let you have one.

GMAN 12-29-2008 02:22 AM

The trend of late has been more toward regional or shorter runs. Some long haul still pays fairly well, but rates are down and some carriers are simply fed up with the cheap rates and states like California dictating what we can do with our own equipment. A driver should be able to be comfortable in their truck. It seems like every time we turn around California and a few other states want to thrust more ridiculous laws on us that can cost thousands of dollars with little or not return on that expenditure. Most of those laws are useless except to generate revenue for the state. Those are the reasons carriers are changing the way we do business. You either adapt to changes or go out of business. If you want to work in this industry you will need to change your way of thinking.

wepwawet 12-29-2008 03:12 AM

"If you want to work in this industry you will need to change your way of thinking."

What do I have wrong?

I understand that right now the rates blow thus where the shorter hauls are making the most bang for the buck. But how long do you think a driver will stay out here for crap pay that they can do better working else where and make the same or more and not have to be away? I myself am still doing good out here but I hear about the 300mi or less runs every day.

I have almost 2yrs in jan out otr and i still rate myself as a newbie I dont know everything nor claim too but if you think my logic is flawed please explain. It wouldnt be the first time I thought I had something down only to be showed i was wrong :)

As for the new reg/ the land of CA laws I understand that what they are asking is stupid until ppl band together to fight back as a grp others will continue to make rules without ever understanding the our side.

GMAN 01-12-2009 01:34 AM

I don't expect enough to stick together in this industry to have an impact on anything. It hasn't happened since around 1980. But the Teamsters were strong back then. The only thing that I see that will have some impact is when enough owner operators and carrier who hauling the cheap freight finally run out of credit and money. At that point we should start to see a turnaround in our rates and availability of freight.

RockyMtnProDriver 01-27-2009 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 433715)
I don't expect enough to stick together in this industry to have an impact on anything. It hasn't happened since around 1980. But the Teamsters were strong back then. The only thing that I see that will have some impact is when enough owner operators and carrier who hauling the cheap freight finally run out of credit and money. At that point we should start to see a turnaround in our rates and availability of freight.

I am already seeing some carriers that where working on very thin margins going out of business.

They could make it in good times because they could run on their lines of credit.

There is a water plant in town where all of the water is exported to one of the big chains. They don't even pay enough to run 48,000 lbs of product to cover the fuel from here to destination.

What they count on, is someone who is empty and just wants any amount of money to offset some of the cost between here and there.

One of the local companies that went out of business, was a main hauler for this company.

Who is the culprit here.

The water bottling company for low-balling the carriers?

The carriers for hauling the freight?

The superstore for trying to sell a bottle of water for $1.79 as opposed to $1.89?

Nope, none of them.

The real culprit is the consumer who will not pay what it takes to keep our industries alive and profitable.

Recently, all of the highways between Cranbrook and the coast where closed for about five days. I went into the local grocery store to get a few things just as the roads opened. There where many, many displays of the produce department that had nothing in them.

I wanted to stand on top of the orange boxes and yell, "See, this is what happens when trucks don't move!" I didn't, but i did tell the produce manager, who I know, that it did my heart good to see it.

I am buying a couple of chairs and a table for my deck, Adirondacks to be precise. I see them down at the local hardware store for about $400. I am going to get them from a guy in Calgary and the total cost is over $700. Almost twice as much. But they are made locally by locals.

We need to shop as local as we can and stop worrying about the pennies we save. All that is doing is exporting jobs.

GMAN 03-02-2009 03:13 AM

There was a time in this country when we bought quality rather than price. Furniture was made from real wood rather than particle board or plastic. We still have furniture in our family that dates back more than a century. It is still in great shape. The cheap furniture that is so prevalent in places such as Walmart will do good to last a few years. People started demanding cheap and that is exactly what is available. Textiles and other industries have moved abroad taking millions of jobs with them. The U.S. used to produce the highest quality goods in the world. That is still true in some areas. Until we once again start to demand quality over price we will continue to see our jobs from across the border.

rickc1970 04-16-2009 08:57 PM

I quit driving OTR last July. I made the decision to quit after being laid over in Las Vegas in 100 plus degree heat after which management got on my case for idling the truck. Now I understand that fuel isn't cheap...however why should I roast in a truck because there was no freight.

I'm not a bad driver that expects something for nothing. When presented with a load I would take it if it could be run legal. If I ran into circumstances beyond my control I would let dispatch know immdiately. The only time I was late was due to weather or break down..at which time the appointment was changed or the load was reassigned..I guess technically I wasn't late. I ran legal and passed several safety department audits. I swept out the trailer after each load even if I was dropping the trailer at the yard. I can't count how many dirty trailers I picked up.

Another reason I came off the road is being laid over for 2-3 days after being on home time and told I couldn't take an extra day off even if I was out long enough on the previous trip to entitle me to that day off per company policy.

I'm not making as much money as I used to however I am happier being with my family more. If you break it down to pay per hour I probably make more now then I did on the road. Along with the paid holidays, sick time, personal time, 2 weeks paid vacation. And no I am not in a union.

So when the economy recovers and you are short of decent drivers you might think about paying a driver for what he actually does instead of just the miles.

I started OTR back in 1999.

bluebikerboy1 04-29-2009 06:52 PM

this was a good post. :)
very informative

lovely09 07-17-2009 01:46 AM

Driving is one of the most exciting thing to do for some but for others it's the way to earn money.There are still competitions and a person must have the best qquality and training to to be qualified as a driver.

Flying W 09-16-2009 05:20 AM

Some interesting posts

To the originator of this post....I generally agree with most of your comments, and would be interested in hearing why you believe night driving will become more predominate if pay goes away from a cpm basis?

I do take exception to the APU comment though. The day I see office workers sleeping in their cubicles for weeks at a time in 90F+ heat without a/c or a person allowed to leave their pet in a vehicle in the same conditions is the day I accept this. Companies send drivers to CA (etc) where it is illegal to idle without a means of staying cool, and into other places expecting them not to idle while not equipping the truck with an APU (or other means). I understand the economics of it, but I wonder how much longer would you be doing your job in the same conditions?

The easiest way to resolve this issue in my opinion is for law enforcement in the state of California to ticket the companies for every driver idling, and not the driver. The driver is merely trying to get some sleep, is not driving "their" truck as frequently pointed out, and is unable to alter the vehicle in any way to comply with the laws. Also, as mentioned previously the driver is under forced dispatch, and is not there by choice. Ticket the actual owners (companies) for failing to provide a means to meet the anti-idling regulations. Anyone doubt company trucks would have APU's then?

Twilight Flyer 09-16-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

To the originator of this post....I generally agree with most of your comments, and would be interested in hearing why you believe night driving will become more predominate if pay goes away from a cpm basis?
Because it’s going to be about cost. If things ever get moving more toward hourly pay, you’re going to see a greater push toward maximizing the OTR portion of freight hauling business and that’s going to entail the OTR drivers driving at night a lot more than they do now, for a variety of safety and cost reasons.

Quote:

I do take exception to the APU comment though. The day I see office workers sleeping in their cubicles for weeks at a time in 90F+ heat without a/c or a person allowed to leave their pet in a vehicle in the same conditions is the day I accept this. Companies send drivers to CA (etc) where it is illegal to idle without a means of staying cool, and into other places expecting them not to idle while not equipping the truck with an APU (or other means). I understand the economics of it, but I wonder how much longer would you be doing your job in the same conditions?
Where do you see anything in my APU comment to take exception to? I’m not saying I disagree with APU’s…personally, I think they are a great idea. They reduce fuel costs and provide drivers with more amenities and comfort than those without. But APU’s are definitely a wild card from a company standpoint. They are illegal in some states and there are pushes in others to do the same thing. Don’t ask me why…that seems to be about as stupid as one could get, but then again, we’re talking about governments here.

Few companies are running APU’s and some that have had them in the past, have taken them out because costs went way up. Again, it’s a wait and see approach. Why spend $30 million on installing APU’s in 3,000 trucks that voids your truck warranties and is not legal in all states anyway. And companies are the ones paying the tickets (or they should be), whether the tractor is idling or the APU is running. It’s a lose/lose situation for both companies and drivers and only the states benefit. I absolutely believe that the reason that APU’s are illegal in some states and will be in others is because it provides a steady revenue stream for the state, no matter what is done. It damns the company and the driver both, no matter what they do; Idle or run the APU.

So trust me, I’m with you on this one. But it’s nowhere near as cut and dry as you would think...or hope.

Flying W 09-17-2009 03:44 AM

Your comments about the enforcement of the apu's varying by state makes me cringe when thinking we may start seeing the same thing applied to snow removal from equipment (NJ). I can see it now, a driver gets a ticket for failing to remove snow from on top of a 14' (13'6") trailer, somehow manages to get on top of it without killing himself, and then gets a ticket for an OSHA workplace safety violation for not having fall protection.

I figured your response to the night shift would have to do with less traffic and more miles run because of it. I just don't see the safety or cost reasons associated with this. Numerous studies, and accident statistics have shown that the likelihood of having an accident at night is higher than during the daytime despite the reduction in traffic (DUI's, sleep patterns, etc). "Daytime driving, particularly at the noon time (10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon), results in a significantly lower risk of an accident." 1 "93.8% of all DUI-cited crashes in 2005 occurred during the nighttime hours." 2

I also wonder if there actually will be an increase in miles by doing so (I'll defer to your companies documentation on this one, but..). The customer base would have to allow for loading or unloading during these off hours, and depending on how the shift goes the driver is still likely to end up in commute traffic on one end of their shift (say starting at 1900, working a 14 hr shift, and ending at 0900 for example).

Like you said, I also do not do well at night and readily admit that. I also understand that it is part of the job at times, and accept that as an aspect of it. It doesn't change the fact that some of the weirdest things I have ever seen have been at night, or darn near falling asleep and barely limping into a rest area at dawn near Moses Lake. I prefer early morning runs, and have found vans to be ideal for that. It is also one of the main reasons I dislike flat bedding. I believe this is one area where companies could do a better job of explaining when visiting driving schools for recruiting. I don't think it is something people take into account.

Sorry about the long post, but I'll end this with one last thought. It is something my trainer told me about work hours that has stuck with me. He told me that if I consistently switched shifts I would burn myself out at best, and I believe this to be true. To the others out there correct me on this if you will, but I have found that a conversation with your DM about being a safer driver at certain times (say daytime, etc) has an effect and I have had their assistance (via the planners) to get me back to days (that could be more an issue of HOS, shipper hours, etc...but I'll kid myself that the DM cared:).

1. ITS-Davis: Time of Day Models of Motor Carrier Accident Risk
2. http://www.dps.state.vt.us/ghsp//cra.../Tbl4_3305.pdf

GMAN 09-19-2009 10:56 AM

Drivers and owners need to become more involved in the political process. When we hear of foolish and poorly thought out potential legislation, we need to make our view heard and in big numbers. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. One reason we have so many anti trucking laws on the books is due to apathy or lack of involvement of drivers and those directly affected by these rules. I make a point of voting in every election, even if it is through absentee ballot. My state has early voting which make it much easier for me to get home to vote. I also write and call my representatives. I want to make sure that my views are heard. I certainly don't want only the views of the opposition to be heard. Truckers are among some of the most vocal people I know, until it comes time to being vocal where it counts. We complain to each other but few will take the time to contact their representatives or those in other states who can put legislation on the books that will directly affect our lives. It is no wonder we have so many nutty anti trucking laws on the books. We should be able to idle our trucks if we don't have an APU. It is a matter of safety and being able to comply with HOS rules. So, you need to pick which law or rule you will comply.

AsphaltVoyager 05-25-2010 04:37 AM

Except if....

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 462766)
Drivers and owners need to become more involved in the political process. When we hear of foolish and poorly thought out potential legislation, we need to make our view heard and in big numbers. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. One reason we have so many anti trucking laws on the books is due to apathy or lack of involvement of drivers and those directly affected by these rules. I make a point of voting in every election, even if it is through absentee ballot. My state has early voting which make it much easier for me to get home to vote. I also write and call my representatives. I want to make sure that my views are heard. I certainly don't want only the views of the opposition to be heard. Truckers are among some of the most vocal people I know, until it comes time to being vocal where it counts. We complain to each other but few will take the time to contact their representatives or those in other states who can put legislation on the books that will directly affect our lives. It is no wonder we have so many nutty anti trucking laws on the books. We should be able to idle our trucks if we don't have an APU. It is a matter of safety and being able to comply with HOS rules. So, you need to pick which law or rule you will comply.

Writing your congressman MIGHT be beneficial, as long as it's not John Cornyn (R-TX). When there was a lot of talk about letting Mexican trucks deliver inside the country, having been to Laredo a number of times and seeing the quality of trucks being used there by Mexican trucking companies, I was extremely concerned about them being allowed to roam our country at will. They were a serious safety hazard. So, I wrote Cornyn, as well as Kay Bailey Hutchison, and the reply I got back from Cornyn? "Dear Constituent, I wholeheartedly agree that there needs to be serious reform to our immigration laws and more done to enforce the ones already on the books." ???? WHA??? >:( I should have known better than write that clown in the first place, but I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. Mistakenly. I know that most congressman don't have time to read all the letters they get from their constituents, but at least they should have staffers who care enough to actually READ what you write and not send out rubber-stamped form letters in response. In my opinion, this shows how little Cornyn cares about our opinions. If he cared, he'd take the time to ensure his staffers are worth a hoot in a holler.

Dambry2gsbo 10-22-2010 05:50 PM

I am exactly in your boat. i will take my roadtest tomorrow and will be on my way with the company I choose on Nov 1. I had at least 4 pre-hires. I believe these companies are looking for people that want to do the job. I will go w/ my trainer, keep my mouth shut, learn all i can learn while I am with him. I think you will need as much experience as possible before your assigned your own vehicle. i can't believe a new driver to the industry would would have a list of demands. i hope when i get enough experience I will be able to help anyone that needs it....

TruckingGuy 12-18-2010 07:57 PM

Fantastic post! Wealthy amount of information for all of us to understand. I enjoy reading up on all the news and happenings on what's new in the industry. keep up the great post. Thanks AJ

straightflush 12-24-2010 01:45 PM

to u all night driven beats day driving hands down,and ,when u go asking for a job U DONT DEMAND ANYTHING u just take it as it is and if it does not fit you ,well move on and dont be a b.... about it,period.

Tim Burr 06-23-2012 05:05 PM

I’ve been lurking around the ‘trucking’ web sites for a few months, and doing other research. I joined here a few days ago, but there is no ’intro’ section (did I miss it?), I’ll just do a short intro along with my 1st question/post.

I’m not a truck driver, but considering a career change. My wife and I have our retirement set-up, but being in our mid 50’s we can’t really retire. So trucking would be something we can do together, spend a few years learning the ropes, and maybe spend the last 8-10 years of our working life making some money when the economy turns around.

OK my question, since this post is about 4 years old, would you say it’s come true or still looks to be headed in this direction? I left this as a quote of Twilight Flyer so people could go back and read it all since I cut up the posting but I’m NOT trying to change the context.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer (Post 386063)

Most companies are moving toward eliminating long haul runs and going more to the short to medium haul freight.....

Most fleet trucks today are governed and that is at one set speed across the board.....

Granted, it would be nice for all trucks to eventually have APUs ........ Several states have banned them and/or considering banning them.

Inverters are another animal. A few companies still accept them, but that is a dwindling list. .

More and more companies are going to forced dispatch....

Thanks

Brucesmith 12-19-2012 09:03 PM

I saw this thread today and I think that twilight's first post is ridiculous. What he actuallywas sayinng is: Don't ecpect naything. You are meat in the seat and take what you can get! But then what do you expect from a recruiter

Instigator 12-21-2012 12:32 AM

I too read this post with much laughter! Typical recruiter! First off If you want to drive above 65, which I do, then find a company that does not govern there trucks, they are out there. If the truck has no APU then you idle for sleeping in the heat or winter, if not then find another job, thats simple. When I look for a job, I usually start by e-mailing them my current list of demands as you call it so that I do not waste there time or mine. After being out there for most of my life, I think I am entitled to some creature comforts when I am away from home for weeks at a time. I just got a new job, driving a long hood Pete, no governor, an APU and no idle policy. I run when I want, I can literally pick my loads, and I make fantastic money! So never give up on the perfect job, I agree there are no perfect ones out there, but after 12 or more jobs in two years I think I finally found mine!

Oh, and yes there is a driver shortage my friend so we still have the upper hand!

Brucesmith 12-21-2012 01:25 AM

THe OP seems to think that drivers should just put up and shut up like we are some sort of slaves. His original post is quite dated. Many of the larger fleets have APU's and fridges. Next thing he will tell us that AC is optional!

Roger Tenfour 12-23-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucesmith (Post 521227)
I saw this thread today and I think that twilight's first post is ridiculous. What he actuallywas sayinng is: Don't ecpect naything. You are meat in the seat and take what you can get! But then what do you expect from a recruiter

The first sign a recruiter is lying is when they open their mouth.

Ferry 01-01-2013 06:28 AM

Informative post:) No doubt trends and requirement are changes around the world not only in one industry but in many. It is all due to global competition.

mitchno1 01-01-2013 06:57 AM

no global competition down here haha you just got our Mainfrieght Co. up ur neck of the woods

Twilight Flyer 04-03-2013 01:12 PM

I wrote that post 5 years ago; still holds true today. It's funny to see a couple newbies throw out the "your just a recruiter line." I'm actually not a recruiter (anymore) and you will have a hard time finding a more driver-friendly inside person in the industry. I advocate for drivers all the time and that means standing up for them (when warranted) vs. safety, HR, and especially operations. I do it a lot and earned a reputation at my last company for not being a company man. That's fine with me, because I know what a **** job driving a truck can be a times and my biggest pet peeve in this industry is "driver haters." Trucking has no place for morons like that, that don't understand that drivers - in every shape, size, and attitude - are what pays our salary.

All that said, though, my points in that post can be boiled down to these 2 points which, like I said, hold true today:

1. When looking for a job, don't make demands of a potential employer. You don't own the company...someone else does. A company is not going to change their policies because of your demands. Instead, they'll chuckle at you and forget about you. So do your homework when searching for a job. Understand that there is no perfect company out there and that you are going to have to make concessions, no matter where you go.

2. I am not, nor have I ever, advocated for a driver to be a doormat for a company. But you are also an employee of said company and as an employee, you are expected to do the job you were hired to do, even if you don't like it at times. If that means you have to help lump a load, then you lump it. If that means you have to run a load at night, then you run it...providing, of course, you can do so legally. In the end, you are not a slave, but you are an employee.

Regarding one recent comment, It is indeed a driver's market again today; things change in this industry all the time. CSA alone has driven this industry into the worst times it's ever seen and if you think it's bad now, wait another 18 - 24 months. But regardless of what happens to the driver pool, there is still something that will never change. If you go to work for a company - ANY company in ANY field - you will be an employee. Being an employee of ANYONE means you will have to adhere to and follow that company's rules. So find a company that agrees with 70% of what you're looking for and learn to deal with the rest.

Keep it safe.

Truckin Dawg 04-04-2013 02:50 AM

Interesting to follow thru the posts and then have the original poster respond today which is my first on this forum. Looks like a good community.
Maybe this is a subject change or better to start another thread, but where do you see the industry now and is there a driver shortage? Darned if i can tell.
Has there been changes for those of us who have been out of it for a while and can't seem to get back in?
I have my CDL-A HazMat, tanker and dbl/trpl endorsements and a current DOT medical, but haven't driven since the nineties. My record is clean but for an inadequate muffler ticket on my car this past June.
Seems everyone wants a recently experienced driver(understandable) or someone fresh out of school, but not someone such as myself. What gives?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
-Dawg

cdreid 04-04-2013 10:02 AM

Twilight flyer it isnt newbies calling you a lying recruiter it is experienced drivers.

Here just in case you missed it: 8 years experience dry van, dedicated, bedbugging and now flatbled both company and lease and soon o/o.

Youre a lying idiot who knows jack about trucking. You sit in an office figuring out ways to screw the people who pay your bills a little more so you can pocket a few more dollars a week.

More and more of the country are REQUIRING apu's not banning them dip****. It's NOT hard for an experienced driver to get a job even in this economy. I can get jobs as fast as i can dial numbers.
Companies are going more to shorthaul so they can get drivers home more because if they dont they dont have drivers which means they dont have a company.
Some companies are trying to ban idling and even things like inverters. Those companies are desperate for drivers and their csa ratings are through the FLOOR because they can only get newbies and screwups.

Megacorps do use governors for two reasons. To keep fuel costs down and to avoid speeding tickets. Honestly as a company driver i hauled ass and my company loved it never had a problem with whatever fuel i used.. but i run a lot of miles. As a lease driver i tend to drive slow as crap and my big complaint is i drive a freightshaker which means LOW torque high horsepower.. so i actually need to run a little faster for better fuel mileage when carrying any weight.

An experienced driver can do ANYTHINg he wants. Just walk into a truck stop and pick up 40 pounds of recruiting books and cards. Or search careerbuilder or your newspaper or whatever.

We get sick of you sociopathic little sleazeballs trying to take advantage of newbs twighlights. I know you wont get this but having no morality or ethics is a symptom of sociopathy and i feel sorry for anyone not totally human.

cdreid 04-04-2013 10:05 AM

Trucking dawg: the industry is changing rapidly . Frankly youre not qualified right now. 40% of what i do is NOT driving. You will have to take a refresher course. Heres the trick: You NEED a refresher course. The industry is nothing like it was in the 90's. It's hyper regulated now.. everything is different. A seat belt ticket now can hammer your career. It's just radically different and it changes every day it seems. You need the refresher man... trucking stopped being about driving a while ago.

Twilight Flyer 04-04-2013 12:45 PM

I've seen you around before, cdreid. I don't believe I was impressed back then, either. I would challenge your reading comprehension skills, but it's obvious you don't read posts that you reply to, which cements your status as a grade A dick. You can toss names and puff out your chest all you want, but it doesn't change facts. Whether you are flipping burgers at McDonalds, checking people out at Target, or driving a fleet truck for a company, YOU.ARE.AN.EMPLOYEE. Got that? Employees have to follow rules, even rules they don't like. Are rules always fair? Not by a long shot. Is trucking a b!Tch with all the rules and regs? Damn straight. You want to be a super trucker and run balls to the walls, 4K miles a week, triple digits on the flat, fill your truck with an APU, big screen, microwave, fridge, X-box, and all the amenities, then buy your own truck and git'er dun. At least until that CSA score catches up to you and shuts you down permanently. You and your 8 years do know what CSA is and understands the huge ramifications it has for the O/O and the Mom & Pop Shop, right?

It was a changing industry when I wrote the original post 5 years ago. Today, it's even more so. You don't have to like what I've written, but you can't change facts. I don't like where the industry has gone anymore than you drivers do, but I work in it (and have for a lot longer than you) so I deal with it the best I can. I don't like Obambi in the White House, either, but I can't change that, either. Bottom line, learn to find the joy in what you can - be it work or play - and deal with the things you don't like.

In the meantime, maybe you should go back and actually READ my last post and might see that I come down the majority of the time on the side of the driver. I'm also the one that waves to them on the road, respects their space cushions, lays the wood on stupid 4-wheelers and their stupid trucks, buys drivers a cup of coffee at the convenience store, speaks highly of them during any conversation involving them. Hell, I've even taken time out of a weekend and gone to a truck stop with a grill and a few dozen hot dogs and cooked up a quick lunch with no expectations but a "howdy and thanks."

Are there driver haters out there? Yep, and waaaay too many of them. But I ain't one of them. Most of those on this board (and others) know exactly where I stand.