Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Parking at Wally World (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/33632-parking-wally-world.html)

Whammo 04-25-2008 02:58 AM

Parking at Wally World

Has anyone here tried parking in Wal-Mart stores? They have a policy of allowing RVs to park in their lots at most stores. I know the one by me has an RV section.

the_quiet_guy 04-25-2008 03:09 AM

wally world parking

some of them do enforce the no-idle policy and they will come knock on your door, I've parked in many and never had them tell me i had to leave though. You want to park as far away as you can though, I've parked at some smaller ones and opened the curtains in the morning to find myself almost blocked in by 4-wheelers, usually look for something around back, just make sure their drivers can get in and out.

headborg 04-25-2008 03:20 AM

I suggest parking at super centers only-- and park in front up at the end of the rows-- that way you have a better chance of getting out-- I tried parking one time "for shopping" around back-- and they actually DONT allow that-especially over nite-- they always have containers and Merchandise back there--and actually security doesn't want ANYONE back there-- and especially someone with a overside vehicle that blocks/obstructs some of their building mounted cameras--as well as I think they are concerned You might LOAD something and take off.

Please, I beg you-- don't run over their shopping carts- or telephone polls or hit customers cars or dump or discard you Piss Bottles or worse on their lot--

It quickly gets US banned from parking/shopping there. Be considerate.

Phantom433a 04-25-2008 03:22 AM

don't park at the one in Mt. Vernon, Illinois, even if your shopping there. Its a $50 ticket.

Syncrosonix 04-25-2008 03:37 AM

the supercenter in calexio, california allows parking as long as you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the back near the china buffet. if you park within the regular lot, you'll be asked to leave, even if you're a paying customer. in yuma, the supercenter that's just north of the yuma int'l airport allows parking, but not in the front. park in the rear of the store. there's plenty of room back there. page, arizona's supercenter also allows parking. however, i prefer to park in the big ol' dirt lot next to the bridge at the glen canyon dam.

the supercenter at lower buckeye & s. 75th avenue in tolleson/phoenix no longer allows trucks to be parked there for any reason. you'll get a ticket for doing so. if the truck is unattended, it'll be towed at your expense. another supercenter that's a no-no is the one in north las vegas off of cr215 & us95. there's absolutely no room for tractor-trailers to go in and out of the front. even with a bobtail, it was difficult going around the parking lot.

dle 04-25-2008 03:55 AM

Last year I sent an e-mail to Wal-Mart corporate asking if there was any corporate wide rules concerning parking at the stores. The response that I got back was that each individual store has their own rules concerning truck parking.

I know the Wal-Mart in Lancaster TX has a 2 hour limit - but I'm not sure how strongly that is enforced. The one down here in Ennis allows parking but they do not want you to park in the "front parking lot".

Whammo 04-25-2008 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dle
Last year I sent an e-mail to Wal-Mart corporate asking if there was any corporate wide rules concerning parking at the stores. The response that I got back was that each individual store has their own rules concerning truck parking.

I know the Wal-Mart in Lancaster TX has a 2 hour limit - but I'm not sure how strongly that is enforced. The one down here in Ennis allows parking but they do not want you to park in the "front parking lot".

http://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm

This link lists the current WalMart stores and which ones allow or have the facilities for parking. They are listed by state. I just wasn't sure if they differentiate between RV and tractor trailer, hence the thread.

headborg 04-25-2008 05:01 AM

Wytherville, Va

don't park over beside the Lowes-- it's a $50.00 ticket too.

Uturn2001 04-25-2008 06:39 AM

Some Wal Marts actually have Truck parking built into the lot.

Vandalia, IL, I 70 exit 61 and Effingham, IL I 57/70 Exit 160 are two around here that do.

Some Wal Marts have banned truck parking because of problems with the trucks. Idiots leaving trash on the lot, tearing up things on the way in and out, not parking as far out as possible, etc. Other Wal Marts that do not allow truck parking do so because of local laws.

Interesting Mt Vernon, IL was brought up. They used to allow truck parking back before it became a Supercenter, but due to having a small lot the had a sign posted telling truckers it was OK to park there between 10 pm and 6 Am but that they had to be off the lot by 6. Well of course every day they had to go out and wake up drivers telling them to move and more than once had to call the cops because the employees were threatened so they put a stop to it.

headborg 04-25-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uturn2001

Vandalia, IL, I 70 exit 61 and Effingham, IL I 57/70 Exit 160 are two around here that do.

Some Wal Marts have banned truck parking because of problems with the trucks. Idiots leaving trash on the lot, tearing up things on the way in and out, not parking as far out as possible, etc. Other Wal Marts that do not allow truck parking do so because of local laws.

Interesting Mt Vernon, IL was brought up. They used to allow truck parking back before it became a Supercenter, but due to having a small lot the had a sign posted telling truckers it was OK to park there between 10 pm and 6 Am but that they had to be off the lot by 6. Well of course every day they had to go out and wake up drivers telling them to move and more than once had to call the cops because the employees were threatened so they put a stop to it.

yeah, I love that Vandalia wally world supply stop-

santafe500 04-26-2008 01:20 AM

I have alway's found it rather un-nerving, that a local government can legislate who may shop at any store. I can understand having ordinance's that restrict parking for longer than a specific timeframe, but to specifically exclude shopper's who happen to drive large vehicle's is bordering on blatant dicrimination.
What if they said, "no red car's can shop here", or only American made car's can park here.
Of course, it has been the case that some driver's don't care about the local surrounding's and dump trash and other thing's on the parking lot. They figure, "let someone else clean this up".
Shortly after the new Supercenter opened behind the regular store in Evanston, WY, I saw a guy throwing pallet's out of his trailer on the edge of the lot. He looked around then drove off. Guess he figured he wouldn't be back there, so it was OK to do.
These people get us thrown off more lot's than anything else.

As for sleeping on Walmart lot's, I personally don't do it. I plan thing's a little better than that. They are grocery store's, not truck stop's.

TruckerChris 04-26-2008 01:31 AM

The Walmart Super Center in Sydney, NE has truck parking spots and if those are full you can park at the Sapp Bros across the street.

ohiomohawk 04-26-2008 02:00 AM

I delivered to Walmart stores for 15 months all across Oh,Ky,Pa and MI.

In Michigan there were several stores with strict noise ordinances. 1 in Detroit threatened a $10,000 fine if you pull on thier lot before 7am.

Watch out for Walmarts that have homes built right off the parking lot, usually the ones with a fence seperates the walmart parking lot from the backyards of homes. Those stores often have noise ordinances that run from 10pm-7am. There are not too many out there but look out!!

&&DONT DROP URINE IN PARKING LOTS 8) 8)

carlos64030 04-26-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uturn2001

I was parked at the Vandalia, IL Wal-Mart earlier this evening.

scania 04-26-2008 12:01 PM

Face it I'm in maintenance at a papermill management told us that maintenance is a necessary evil,hated but needed.

Syncrosonix 04-26-2008 02:26 PM

in union gap, washington next to the gearjammer truck stop, you can park in the mall parking lot between lowe's and the mall itself. union gap police department is across the street and they won't say a thing. man, i haven't been to union gap since the summer time. i'm missing it. there's also a real good burger joint along the main drag of that town. it's within walking distance to the truck stop. mmm, this makes me hungry. :P

CrazyTulip 04-26-2008 04:44 PM

Yeah we stop at the WM in Vandalia every week to stock up; love that one!! You also have a great one with LOTS of truck parking (and they love truckers there) at exit 237 on I-80 in NE. In NM there's one in Gallup you can park at, or in Winslow AZ on I-40 exit 253 with truck parking. If it's full there's a truck stop next door as well.

And I totally agree with headborg: don't leave any of your crap laying out there and return your shopping carts and don't be a lazy bastard! It all helps to us being able to continue to park and shop there instead of them banning us. I can't blame WM for banning truckers if all they do is toss piss bottles all over the place. :roll:

Rev.Vassago 04-26-2008 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santafe500
I have alway's found it rather un-nerving, that a local government can legislate who may shop at any store. I can understand having ordinance's that restrict parking for longer than a specific timeframe, but to specifically exclude shopper's who happen to drive large vehicle's is bordering on blatant dicrimination.
What if they said, "no red car's can shop here", or only American made car's can park here.

It isn't the local governments legislating anything. It is the businesses who are putting up the no parking signs, and the local police who are enforcing it.

Orangetxguy 04-26-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:

Originally Posted by santafe500

It isn't the local governments legislating anything. It is the businesses who are putting up the no parking signs, and the local police who are enforcing it.

SI`

lurchgs 04-28-2008 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syncrosonix
in union gap, washington next to the gearjammer truck stop, you can park in the mall parking lot between lowe's and the mall itself. union gap police department is across the street and they won't say a thing. man, i haven't been to union gap since the summer time. i'm missing it. there's also a real good burger joint along the main drag of that town. it's within walking distance to the truck stop. mmm, this makes me hungry. :P

Oh, yeah! Miner's. Best darn burgers on the planet.

It helps that they're roughly the size of your wheel rims!

I have to admit, though, I liked them better before the modernization.

Been eatin' there for 25+ years, not about to stop now!

CrazyTulip 04-28-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurchgs
Quote:

Nope, sorry best burgers on the planet are from Farmer Boys! They have one across from TAs in Ontario, CA and the one in Colton, CA has truck parking (well, just 5 or 6 parking spots so don't all go there; that's MY spot!! :wink: ) - the produce they use on the burger is coming straight off the land and I've never had it fresher on a burger, God they're good! Making myself drool here :lol:

Whammo 04-28-2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyTulip
Quote:

Quote:

Nope, sorry best burgers on the planet are from Farmer Boys! They have one across from TAs in Ontario, CA and the one in Colton, CA has truck parking (well, just 5 or 6 parking spots so don't all go there; that's MY spot!! :wink: ) - the produce they use on the burger is coming straight off the land and I've never had it fresher on a burger, God they're good! Making myself drool here :lol:

Perhaps we need to spinoff a "Greatest Burgers in the USA" thread? :)

gmh 04-28-2008 06:00 PM

So are these 'no parking' walmarts suitably marked?

And if you start a greatest hamburger thread, let me know so that I can flag it and take notes.

Syncrosonix 04-28-2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whammo
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Perhaps we need to spinoff a "Greatest Burgers in the USA" thread? :)

just thinking about miner's is making my stomach rumble. farmers is a place i have never eaten at. i prefer going to cowboy burger at the northeast corner of francis/marlay & etiwanda. the spanish ladies working in there are pretty cute, too! their chilli-cheese fries are also the best on the planet.

as for the "no parking" walmarts being marked, most of them have those "no overnight parking" or "no truck parking" signs clearly posted.

Rev.Vassago 04-28-2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmh

They don't necessarily need to be, as it is private property.

gmh 04-28-2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmh

They don't necessarily need to be, as it is private property.

I'd be curious in a bona fide customer being towed, then suing in the absence of said signs.

Which is largely a rhetorical point, and I'd rather not be the first to test out a situation like that.

Radaremtjcw 04-29-2008 05:25 PM

Alot of WM are installing barriers that prevent parking in the main lots.

Sidney NE Exit 237 has truck parking
Vandalia,IL Rocks
In Winslow,AZ watch out for the Indians patrolling the parking lots begging
Havent been to gallup

The one thing that gets me is how slobby drivers are leaving the carts around, some with some very nasty garbage in, if that continues i would not be suprised if these locations that allow us to park now will not in the future

lucky13 04-29-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The best burger and food in the Ontario area and believe me they give you lots of food is Galaxey burger it is just north of the 60 off the Archabald exit has truck parking but they dont want you to stay overnight, also speaking of burgers got to allways remember IN and Out burger the one in Barstow has parking for trucks.

lucky13 04-29-2008 06:09 PM

The one Wally World that has truck parking but I will allways avoid because it can be a cluster is the one in W Memphis Ar.....hate that lot :evil:

ct77 04-30-2008 02:01 AM

cant believe nobody mentioned the one in Kimball TN exit 152 I-24, not only do you have Walmart but darn near everything else cracker barrel, shoney, really good Chinese, dollar tree, radio shack and and and......
almost forgot the fireworks stores within walking distance.

rigidsporty 04-30-2008 02:06 AM

Quote:

Exactly... and may I add that they're putting up the signs because they find their concrete islands have been destroyed and their property is covered in trash and piss bottles.

Be courteous, be clean, learn to drive, and trucks will be more welcome in the future. Common sense goes a long way.

rigidsporty 04-30-2008 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ct77
cant believe nobody mentioned the one in Kimball TN

Last time I was there (in my PMV... and its been a while) there were signs saying "no trucks/no overnight parking" (or something like that). I even seen a cop running off a truck that was idling (apparently the driver was sleeping) on the property.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky13
The one Wally World that has truck parking but I will allways avoid because it can be a cluster is the one in W Memphis Ar.....hate that lot :evil:

I used to go there often when I drove for CFI. Its not so bad if your bob-tailed, but even then it can be challenging to get in and out.

okie 04-30-2008 04:53 AM

Deliver for WM

I usually stay at them cause thats where I deliver. I was kicked off a lot in Gardner, Ks awhile back, while pulling a WalMart trailer. When leaving a store I will let them know I plan on staying and ask where they would like me. I was surprised at Gardner because we do a backhaul at Unilever for Walmart, so I had probably stayed at that lot 6 or so times.

Phreddo 05-14-2008 12:41 AM

i got interweb on my phone, so i try get the number and ahead to ask permission.
that seems to go over well with them.
there's a WMSC in knoxville that has a really good italian restaurant next door.
Most of the Wisconsin ones don't give me a problem. However, the supercenter in Madison has underground parking, so truck parking is kinda out of the question.

gmh 05-14-2008 12:47 AM

Lower the air bags and get a running start. I'm sure it'll work out fine.